Cubical Farms: soul sucking or comfy?

Cubical Farms: soul sucking or comfy?

I don't get them

If you're not going to bother with real rooms then why not just have an open-plan office altogether, it'll be equally noisy and shit, but people might actually get along

It's really not that bad. Would you prefer to be in an open office hell-hole?

I think they would be kinda comfy but I'd probably hate it after a few days

Also it probably depends on what kind of job you're doing in there I guess

Those open offices are worse especially when you have a cuck CEO that doesn't have an office of his own and just chills where everyone else works fuck silicon valley

I wish I got a cubicle. These days it's all "agile space" where you're always looking over your shoulder.

50/50

Depends on your job and the managerial environment you are working in.

If you get lucky it's a cushy position with little work and little oversight.

Unlucky and it's menial mental labor every day followed by meetings and bosses stopping by to tell you you're not doing good enough.

Pathetic to be honest.

Would rather be a knee-pad operator than work in a cubicle.

>be unemployed
>desperately looking for a job
>barely have enough money to feed myself
>see "agile" in job listing
>move along

Comfy.

I used to have a cubicle until work transitioned to an open office layout. Now I have 1/4 of my previous space, it is noisy, it smells, and I work in fear of being watched behind my back.

Going into the military, my job will probably consist of me sitting in a cubicle. (Based on what I've read from others who have the same job) I always hated the idea of sitting in a cubicle all day. But now I'm thinking it might not be too bad

p much every software job that isn't shit is agile though

chair force?

Id kill for a cubicle. I sit in the middle of the office, with my computer screen faced towards the street/entrance. EVERYONE sees what's on my screen at all times. I can't open a news website without the fear of someone thinking I'm slacking off. Idiots from the office constantly comes over and interrupt my work talking about whatever is on my screen. The thought of just putting up some walls and having privacy seems like an impossible pipedream that will never happen.

I'd rather have a cubicle than my current open office "bullpen". Though I can see how a cubicle can be isolating and soul crushing. Guess the grass is always greener

This thread is proof wagecucking is hell.

> What kind of literal box should my boss put me in before I spend 8 hours making him slightly richer?

I would consider suicide before becoming a wagecuck.

How about flexible? Means random overtimes and coming in to work whenever your phone rings.

ah yes... the old "let's put you on a salary. that means you are "on call" 24/7

it's not hell but it can be bleak hopeless and pointless. it can also be comfy low risk and rewarding.

I'd rather have that than a fucking open office.

comfy

we forget that the malaise this type of shit comes from is rooted in having enough comforts to worry about existential shit. now it's just about being able to afford essentials.

>now it's just about being able to afford essentials.

>people will put up with working in a cubical farm long term just to afford essentials

we end times now

i worked in an open office with 10 others sharing the same table, we were almost elbow to elbow with the boss always staring you down

so if you even took a break to scratch your ass youd get a talking to about being unproductive; let alone the fact that you were surrounded by like 3-4 others staring at you from across the table

give me a cubicle any day

A huge call center would probably be terrible, but it's not that bad.

I preferred cubicles over private offices. It was easier to socialize and time went by faster.

Anything but the current trend of open offices. And the cubes should have high enough walls.

Open plan offices are cancer

At least a cubicle gives you a sense of personal space and privacy

Fuck open plan

Trust me, after doing spreadsheets in an open office with next to no room, and at a shitty temp desk (I'm an intern), I would at least prefer the privacy and confinement of a cubicle.

Just looking at that image makes me deeply uncomfortable, and I'm a cuck that works at a shitty call center that solicits donations for corrupt charities. We at least get mini-cubicles, desks with partitions, and get left alone all day with very minor optional conversation with coworkers in the brief pauses between calls.

Also they literally let me bring coloring books, read magazines, and write whatever I want on paper while at work despite the "no writing utensils at desk" policy due to the ability to write down customer's private info lol. This would be unwise behavior in an "open office" setup.

>solicits donations for corrupt charities

i used to do that. fuck there were so many degenerates in that workplace. i kinda miss shaking people down for gold level donations. too bad it was a straight hourly position with no commission... cause i killed it every night.

imo you only need cubicles if you make phone calls on the job.the cubicles can be designed so that speech does not seep through the walls just a general background noise is heard.

if people don't talk all day it makes little sense to separate them with walls.

i like it better when there are offices you can move freely between depending on who works with whom right that moment who wants quiet and privacy and who tries to troubleshoot with a crowd.

I have this, can confirm

My ADHD CEO sits across the desk from me, it sucks as hard as you'd imagine it would

Cubicles are comfy as hell. Find a way to bend the system to do as little as possible while browsing the internet all day. Open offices are trash as everyone look over your shoulder.

i believe that's the entire point.

Kek

It is not better than an office, but it is far better than an "open" workplace.

Interruptions and distractions cause so a lot stress that it drains you, and cubicles at least are an incentive to avoid disruptions and remove most simpld distractions.

It is a shame how many offices fell for the "open workplaces" nonsense meme.

office>cubicle>open office (everyone facing the walls)>>>>>>>>open office (row by row, single row per desk)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cow shit>>>>>open office (row by row, double facing rows per desk)

"Agile" is code for random demands in lieu of any actual planning or requirements gathering. So they're still shit jobs, they just use hipster buzzwords to lure in their prey.

So we put people into boxes for 50 years, and when we finally start letting them out again, they complain about getting distracted by seeing human life around them, and how it's harder to avoid doing the things they're there to do in the first place.

Feels like we've let something go very, very wrong as a society.