Engaging Driving

Automatic transmission and manual transmission.

You guys prefer manual transmission because it's more engaging, you put in effort and you get a say in what your car does, and when you do good, it's rewarding.
Manual takes more knowledge and skill to drive smoothly and well.
You down shift, you up shift, you rev match.
You clutch, brake, throttle, shift, steering, and you synchronize those things like the conductor of a symphony, creating the art of motion that is your driving.

Manual gives you something to think about, it keeps you engaged, and it makes you feel good when you pull something off because driving manual is more difficult.

Am I wrong?
You like manual transmission, right?
You like it because of these things, right?
Therefore, manual transmission is superior.

For those same reasons, front engine, front wheel drive is superior to rear wheel drive.

Front wheel drive is more difficult to drive well than rear wheel drive.
Front wheel drive is more engaging, it takes more skill, and when you pull off all that shit and create the art of motion (like in a manual) you get a rewarding feeling, because you weren't a little bitch who took things the easy way, you grabbed a hold of your beast of a car, and you used your mighty man meat to control that bitch.
You've got to coordinate your steering and throttle to manage understeer, you've got to strategize to keep your front tires from wearing out, you have to me a masterful driver to drive front wheel drive.
You can't be a boiracer and clutch kick or throttle to oversteer your car, that's too easy, that's for the kids and amateurs.
You need to be able to control weight transfer, you need to be a master of utilizing speed and momentum, you need to be a real driver to drift front wheel drive.
You have to drive fast to get front wheel drive to drift on tarmac, you can't be a little bitch boy.
Real car enthusiasts drive front wheel drive.

I like it because it's fun. I don't give a fuck if it's superior or not. Who the fuck cares?

Superior is a strange adjective because of its prevalence when discussing jusitifications for racial tiers.

I'd be careful when using the word "superior", people might get the wrong idea. I know what you're up to buster, and I don't like what you're insinuating. You take this hate speech somewhere else, because although you and your pals probably enjoy talking about your favorite dictators, this board is for car discussion only. You hear me? Do you understand? I'll be watching this thread op. Don't do anything stupid ok? Let's not have any problems ok? This is a good board, let's keep it that way alright? Do you understand me?

>You down shift, you up shift, you rev match.
>You clutch, brake, throttle, shift, steering, and you synchronize those things like the conductor of a symphony, creating the art of motion that is your driving.

I don't give a fuck about lap times, I'll never be the fastest. I'd rather feel the mechanic satisfaction of manually selecting gears instead of going around a bend 0.5secs quicker in an automatic.

Logic leap baiting: the thread

more difficult=/=more fun

>muh front wheel drive is more engaging

No that's just it - there's less "tricks" you can do in an FF, there's a narrower range of techniques you can use to make the car behave the way you want it to.
The main appeal of FF's in motorsports is late braking, that's pretty much the only weapon they have in their arsenal.

>Tfw fwd automatic

it's more difficult to do a root canal on yourself, doesn't mean it's more fun

in contrast, it's more difficult to build your own deck - but there are certain things a man is required to do in order to maintain his manhood, and hiring another man to build your deck makes you a bitch nigga for life

similarly, never learning how to drive stick makes you a bitch nigga

in reality, the manual vs. automatic debate has almost nothing to do with driving, and everything to do with bitch niggerdom

This thread is digital fedora

Auto is better for off roading but I prefer manual on road

>being an offroadlet

>No that's just it - there's less "tricks" you can do in an FF
You can do all of the same things in FR as you can FF, it just makes the car behave a little differently.

To be honest I like driving manual more because it makes me feel like a kid and what I thought being a race car driver felt like back then even though in all reality I'm driving a 130hp N/A Mr2

more difficult = more fun

FF is more fun as long as you don't pussy out in the beginning because you're not good at it.

>muh manual
Just another metric numale faggots upset with their soyboy status try to use to cope and still feel superior to true alpha chads who dont actually give a fuck about any of this

There are no braking power in autos. None.

When it comes to racing, manuals are always faster when driven properly. Autos might be faster on a straight, but what fucking track is straight 100%? Corners are where the race is won.

By Ops logic AWD is the most the most fun. The only reason people banging on about FWD being the best is because they cant afford a AWD or a RWD car. Its a shit excuse for them sour grapes. All have their pros and cons just as automatics have pros and cons.

is this about drifting? jfc

>mfw I drive a rwd autotragic sports car
Feels good to be able to sip muh coffee on the way to wageslaving while passing all the normies in their econoboxes (which OP probably drives)

Are you trying the justify your purchase of a manual fwd car? I don't see any other reason why should make a dumb thread like this.

That's alright, you can still have fun in FF automatic.

Cars are for plebs. You just sit there and operate stuff with extremities.

On a bike, you're managing balance, and every part of your body is in use all the time.
Slowing down? Sit up, act as an airbrake. Speeding up? Hunker down, shift your feet on the pegs so you stay on. Grip the bike with your thighs in the turns, countersteering, and also counting gears if you don't have a display of them.
And since they're MR, it's also superior arrangement.

Car drivers are just glorified passengers. Real enthusiasts ride bikes.

You can't really be safe and drive bikes enthusiastically.
Real enthusiasts don't risk their lives so they get an overall larger amount of enthusiast experiences, rather than dying.

I know this is posibly bait, but anyways, as someone who has had booth my first car was a fwd saab 9-3 aero, i now have an rx-8, what you are saying is complete bullshit, boyracing drift is much easier in a fwd shit, specially smaller ones, like civics megane and such, you just pull the handbrake for a second and smash the gas while you point your direction to where you want, and you need to be literally retarded not to be able to controll it, also driving a rwd fast atleast to me is harder than a fwd, its just that the rwd has much more potential, not that it is easier to, again in a fwd if you fuck up you just need to relax a bit and steer it in the right direction , i dont feel as it is as easy in the rwd, dunno also i dont have that much experience with the rx-8 as i had with the saab, anyways what you are saying is stupid

I always shift in corners for performance I hardly use the clutch for downshifting I have a mid engine, I love trail braking and left foot braking. I compete with every and every semi automatic car out there, it's all about time invested and getting passed all your errors and perfecting your technique, you can't togue or track 2 times a day if you want to be good. It has to be every day. Your brakes are worn? Drive at 70 % and focus on engine braking, you'll still go extremely fast

Correct: Everything you can do in an FF you can do in an RWD.
But not everything you can do in a RWD car you can do in an FF.

>dont have that much experience
Obviously

OP you compared how driving feels in manual vs auto then compared that to how driving feels in rwd and fwd and anyone can easily fucking say driver feel in RWD is far better. I just got my first rwd car 3 months ago and having a light front you can throw around and kick out the back is so much better. You should've argued both require about the same skill level to drive, but instead you chose to argue about driver feel to which RWD is objectively superior. FWD cannot corner smoothly through tight chicanes due to the drivetrain.

I personally don't really like manual transmissions, they're a pain in the ass, especially in traffic jams or for the many lights at the tops of hills in my town.

I don't think you know how to read.

>V6
Is the 4g72 (and 4g64 while we're at it) actually worth something, or is the 4g63 the only Eclipse motor worth getting (as long as you remove the balance shaft before it just becomes an expensive paperweight).

>all these rwd auto brainlets crying ITT
everytime

It's about control not difficulty you tard
sage

>I'm insecure so I HAVE to control every little thing about my car

Having control over the car is what makes driving fun you cretin

just like pressing a button to control traction is fun right? or is that too easy?

What's better?
FF, MF, or RF?

MR

>I am so insecure I have to justify my purchase to everyone on Vietnamese sweatshop enthusiast website.
And yeah. I would like to control my car when I'm driving it. The people do don't do that typically die. But that's only based on principle. Shitty ABS has almost gotten me killed a few times.
And anyway I was informing the OP about how he is wrong. I don't care about fwd vs rwd anyway. A car is something with wheels and that's all that matters to me.

FF
why would you put the engine away from the drive wheels

salut

>front wheel drive is more difficult
Lolno

FWDs barrel into corners way too fast, throw the wheel and sit back as the car slowly scrubs off the speed via understeer.

>you can't be a boiracer and clutch kick or throttle to oversteer your car
It's called left foot braking you twat

>fwd drifting
Wasting tires to create smoke, disgusting

>tldr OP is a faggot
>lolyoutookthebait
Really don't care, my Jimmies were rustled.

Are you saying RR is better than FR and MR?

>can't controll FF
If you're a shit driver.

Normies can't never understand this.

> I would happily buy a self-driving car, and yet somehow consider myself an 'enthusiast'.

ackshually fwd has the least amount of drivetrain losses, which as you get into big hp numbers makes a decent difference, lighter than the other drivetrains too
spinning tires sucks though

MR should have a similar amount of drivetrain loss compared to FF, especially in cases like the MR2 where they literally stuck a Corolla drivetrain behind the cabin instead of ahead of it..

im not a dsm guy but i've pretty much only ever seen fast 4g63s

If you're not risking your life by pushing the edge of the performance envelope, you're not very enthusiastic.
Look at the Isle of Man TT. >100MPH through a fucking small town. They lean in to avoid specific lampposts, end up millimetres from walls, etc.
Guy Martin accepted his death as soon as he realised he wasn't going to make a corner, and then hit a bus stop at 150MPH before catching fire.

Cars are boring and expensive. For the price your precious m'iata cost new, you could have gotten a superbike capable of nearly 200MPH and a 0-60 time of 3 seconds or less.

>having a car with traction control
>smuganimegirl.jpg

>Front wheel is more difficult to drive
It literally isn't. It is just worse because if you lose traction at a high speed you're done for.
>Front wheel drive is more engaging and requires more skill
Are you telling me that braking and turning moving through a corner is more skillful than braking, shifting the weight, controlling the spin of the rear tires and drifting through a corner while counter steering and controlling grip?
>You've got to coordinate your steering and throttle to manage understeer, you've got to strategize to keep your front tires from wearing out
Same in an FR except they are less prone to understeer
>You can't be a boiracer and clutch kick or throttle to oversteer your car
Not an argument in terms of car capabilities
>You need to be able to control weight transfer, you need to be a master of utilizing speed and momentum, you need to be a real driver to drift front wheel drive.
>Drift front wheel drive
You mean pull the handbrake and slow way down?
>You have to drive fast to get front wheel drive to drift on tarmac
Same deal

Shingo pls go.

yes

Why does there even have to be a debate over this?
I drove manual since i first started learing to drive, and have been driving manual for years.
It's fun and engaging, but after a while, you start to get tired of it when you're just going about your daily business. I recently bought a Subaru Legacy with an automatic tranny (manumatic with paddles) with a big engine (3.0L). I have to say, at first i was sceptical, but i have to say i kinda like it. When just going about your daily routine you just drone around in auto, but when you want to have some fun you just switch to manumatic mode and can have just as much fun as in a manual.

Drive whatever pleases you.
If you live your life by others rules and expectations you ain't living.

pic related

By your logic, Midengine RWD should be by far the most challenging. It's both faster and harder to control than RWD while still being fully capable of drifts, albeit it's the most difficult layout to drift.

MR SUPERIORITY

Nah but there is a reason all of the world's fastest cars are either RWD or AWD with the engine in the middleish

What kind of motorcyclist would suggest some car fag deciding to skip out on a Miata and hop right on a 400lb 200 horsepower supersport? This is why people get killed and motorcycles are so statistically dangerous.

Also, to each their own. People who are enthusiastic about motorcycles don’t have a problem betting their odds against the danger factor. People who don’t ride motorcycles probably don’t like them. Makes no sense for someone who doesn’t enjoy them to buy one and subject them self to the possibility of getting hurt in a crash.

Bottom line, cagers are fucking pussies.

As a motorcycle owner, I’ve gotta say i can understand where people come from when they say motorcyclists are fags. There’s something about the two wheels and the inherent danger that makes people think they are super cool and own the roads. Sounds to me like you’re one of those fags.

I know you think your bike is all cool and stuff but the majority of people don’t

How bro tell me how the FUCK do you expect me to build a deck? When I can pay some bozos to come on over and build that shit for me

>, but when you want to have some fun you just switch to manumatic mode and can have just as much fun as in a manual.
But what about the clutch?

Yeah. What about it? You don't need it in an automatic.

Don't get me wrong, i still enjoy driving manual, and yes, it is more engaging to drive manual. I still have an old Triumph spitfire mk3 that cruise around in during the summer.

You said
>just as much fun as in a manual
But you don't get the enjoyment of the control you get from being able to work your clutch.

lol wat
wouldn't "numale faggots" want tarboed autos with paddle shifters? Wouldn't "boomers" want manuals and NA engines "like the good ol days"? You guys and your insults don't even make any sense anymore...

Stay Veeky Forums

Yeah and FF is also limited to ~300hp because of torque steer. also, wheel hop.

And my FF is faster than yours.

RWD can handle much bigger numbers while also staying lightweight.

AWD can handle the biggest numbers, but at the expense of being heavier, more expensive, and having to deal with both under and oversteer.

Oh and RR is also a thing.

tl;dr

- manual is better than auto
>auto is better than manual

- front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive
>rear wheel drive is better than front wheel drive

- automatic is better than manual
>manual is better than automatic

- rear wheel drive is better than front wheel drive
>front wheel drive is better than rea wheel drive

>AWD
>FF, MF, RF, RR, MR, FR

Left Wheel Drive or Right Wheel Drive?

Because if you let someone else drive and work on your car your are not a man.if you dont drive a manual to get that connection with your car you are not a man. If you don't build your own house with your own two hands you are not a man. If you let your gf/wife/daughter/mom go to the doctor and not open her legs yourself and insert a shit ton of metal objects into her hole to check for various diseases,viruses,infections,cancer and then analyzing all the samples you took under a microscope you built yourself, and not using all means at your disposal from hammer and ruler to your fucken dog(which of course you built yourself with your two hands because your a man) to jump in there and dig that shit out, then no you sir are not a man.

ff vs mr
the virgin safe understeer vs the chad snap oversteer

When you're on the Burgerking on the limit of grip trying to get that pro lap time, neither is safe.

I don't really care that much that there isn't a clutch. And like i said, i enjoy playing around as much in this car as in my previous cars.
It's a different kind of enjoyment, but by no means lesser.

Maybe not lesser to you, but we need to take a look at the bigger scale of things.
We need every single person in the developed world to drive 2 cars and report back with their findings.

Can we all agree that RR is better than FR and MR?

>not using Flintstone(tm) Mid Feet Drive(tm)

>What kind of motorcyclist would suggest some car fag deciding to skip out on a Miata and hop right on a 400lb 200 horsepower supersport?
One trying to get rid of another car 'enthusiast' in a high-speed accident.

Or, alternatively, one who lives in a country where you have to pass a separate test to ride a motorbike, and then another one to ride one over 125cc. This makes sure that any new bikers know what the fuck they're doing.

Real enthusiasts ride. Passengers drive.

Regular torque converter autos only give you engine braking in low ratios by design. A torque converter can also provide torque multiplication up unto coupling speed and a lockup clutch can eliminate the inherent slip of a torque converter. The real issue is that companies don't design autos for performance and that's why they're usually shit when you try to into fast