I want to design a modern steam powered car

Preferably a super duty pickup, since fuel economy is less problematic and the properties of steam engines would be most appreciated there. It would need no oil changes, transmission, or emissions controls since open flame combustion is much cleaner. The 1925 doble would pass a modern cali emissions test on kerosene. I would do this by taking a awd pickup and installing a custom made, double acting, closed crankcase flat 4 steam engine where the transaxle would be and place the boiler and condenser up front, which would be insulated and computer controlled for max. Efficiency. Any advice?

Easy to talk about. Need to see some prototype work.

They were building 8,000HP steam ships in the late 1800/early 1900s. It's entirely possible from an engineering standpoint.

You better know what your doing. Steam is a nasty cunt and you don't want to get on her bad side. Boiler explosions are not pretty.

I know. Most of the problems have been soved since the 20s. With modern metallurgy and insulation, plus lighter vehicles, it shouldnt be too tall of an order. I still need to learn machining though. Its a necessity to horse around with steam. You think aerogel would be a good insulator? That stuff is the best insulator on earth i hear. Basically my engine would be anything special, just a 4 cylinder stephenson type with a closed oil filled crankcase to avoid all the maintenance and other issues caused by the old open crankcase types with a shaft that can bolt to the driveshafts. The real problem lies in the boiler and condenser unit.

I might actually have a boiler custom made. The engine is actually the easy part, the boiler is where the real problems are.

How are you going to get the steam going? Coal and a boiler? Battery and an electric heater? Chemical raction?

Its gonna be liquid fueled so kerosene or diesel can be used. It will have an electric sprayer that will turn off when the max pressure is reached. Im thinking of a better quality version of the doble boiler with a much higher pressure rating and enough insulation to stay hot for hours.

I've always wanted to do this to escape the OIL jew.

But our overlords decided to keep oil cheap for a while.

Will it make a chugga-chugga sound?

Imagine going down the highway

>CHOO CHOOOOOOOOO

>the pickup bed is spilling over with coal to be shovelled into the boiler
Do it, OP.

>0-60 in 49 seconds
how will you solve this, OP?

steam engines are big for a car. you'll need a bigger hood.

>The Doble just continues to pull all the way. It only has about 150 hp, but the torque output is huge: 2200 lb-ft at the rear wheels

>Hughes was clocked at 132.5 mph on a Texas highway,

>pulls away faster than you'd ever think possible in an 85-year-old car

Steam is no joke, user.

>literally rolling coal

>liquid fueled
That's not where a steam shines because IC is more thermally efficient. Solid fuels is where IC can't compete against steam. I would focus on using coal, wood, or biomass.

>escape the OIL jew.
Where do you think kerosene comes from?

Can you make it as powerful as this?

If you are going to be burning fuel anyway what is the point user? Use coal or something cheap

>6,000 hp
>80rpm
What's the torque output on this monster?

If only there was a formula.

Steam engines are less efficient than IC engines, because they don't take advantage of higher temps. This the actual reason why they pass emitions too, since that's when NOx is formed.

The most modern implementation would be a combined cycle engine, IC/jet turbine + steam engine for fuel efficiency.

Regardless the secret is making pipe and not bathub boilers to minimize heating time.

You could even use powdered iron as a fuel, and put out less emissions than an EV. Or store heat in firebricks.

I suggest using water to cool your steam in a heat exchanger and cooling the water in a normal radiator. The less water you need to haul around the better. Not sure if a completely sealed system is possible, but it would be ideal. I've never done the math on that, it would certainly require more cooling than an engine and it would require an electric water pump.
I dream of making a machine like that, but in the EUSSR no fun is allowed

>using thermite for fuel
YYYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHH

393900 lb ft
If you were going to mention the formula, then why not post it you stupid faggot?

I don't know the exact formula.

Then why mention it?

Because a poster was curious about the torque value.

water weighs 8.34lb's per gallon. Seeing that you need not only a large amount of water, but also a fairly hefty pressure vessel to boil it in and also fuel to burn to turn that water into steam.

you can see how a small two door car can turn into an 8000 lb rolling tank that gets 5 miles per gallon of diesel if your lucky.

I has questions.
1. Its 20 degrees outside right now. Isnt the water going to freeze?

2. Do i need to start this bitch like an hour before i need to leave?

>freezing
Sometimes large bodies of water take a while to freeze, think of how cold it has to be for a lake to be solid. If it is a big concern though, look at materials they use for thermoses. Some of them can keep beverages hot for very long times and that might keep the water from cpmpletely freezing up.
>starting real early before using
I know that heating a traditional boiler to ready temp can be a problem with time, but you may want to look into flash-boiler tech. Heard it’s a lot faster and uses less water at a time.

Have been throwing the idea of a steam engine conversion for a while, but pretty much in the same boat as I’d need machining training and a surplus of material. Figured I could give it a manual trans and set up the steam to be a V8, figured with proper gearing you could make it go very quick on highways.

You'll still use it for lubrication.

That's aluminum. It does burn, though... You keep it in a canister and regulate the air intake. It's the same fuel hand warmers use.