What makes RWD so much better than FWD?

What makes RWD so much better than FWD?

Less forces put on the front tires. So they keep traction longer.

Ripping skids like a mad cunt

we've been over this a million fucking times but here you are, still starting shit
>weight transfer during acceleration shifts more grip to rear tires
>rwd lets rear tires handle acceleration and front tires handle steering, maximizing use of available grip
>no torque steer
I'm not the kind of person who thinks that FWD doesn't have its place, in fact I think it makes the most sense for most cars, but if you're making a performance/fun car, then RWD is definitely preferable over FWD

tighter turning radius is a nice one, the ability to steer with throttle and kick the ass out with a clutch kick is cool too.
There are many reasons

a couple things

1. when a car accelerates, the weight shifts to the back. in a RWD car this means the weight shifts over the powered wheels, whereas with FWD the weight is removed from the powered wheels, resulting in lessened traction

2. when a FWD car is mid-turn, putting on power can result in wheelspin which means that the car will lose more traction in a comparable RWD car, and this leads to more understeer

3. a RWD car can use the driven wheels to mitigate over/understeer through the use of throttle oversteer. if there is very mild power-on oversteer, a RWD car can alleviate understeer if the chassis is set up properly. also power-on oversteer can help to change the angle on corner exit, allowing for a better line towards the next apex

4. doriftu

DORIFTU

rwd sends power to the REAR TIRES JUST HOW GOD INTENDED IT TO BE

Mate, get down on all fours and crawl around.
Where's your power coming from ?
That's right, your Reddit fatass.
Car's the same way. Crawling from your arms is just stupid

New question: what advantage is there to AWD which can't be matched by just putting better tyres on a RWD car?

Wet tracks rwd can't keep up. AWD can "claw" itself out of corners better. Torque vectoring to 4 wheels instead of just 2 also helps.

Benchracing

>t. Honda driver with a Napoleon complex.

Easy to oversteer and have fun.

Ever spun the wheels accelerating out of a corner in a FWD? It's pretty much the gayest feeling you can experience.

Oh idunno... Aesthetics

Which came first?

>being a manlet with no arm strength

When will they learn?

Nothing, it is the biggest meme in the automotive world. RWD or AWD is needed for high power vehicles so bench racers think their 185hp shit box needs it too. Honda proved once and for all that FWD is perfectly fine with their latest Type R which is faster than 99.99% of the cars Veeky Forums drives.

Yeah but what happens when I pull out of a T intersection and plant my foot in your little Honda?

The advanced high strength steel and design of the honda civic protect me from injury.

No no I mean if I'm driving your little gay boy Honda, and I pull out of a T intersection and decide to give it a few herbs and bury my foot as I'm peeling out.
What happens?

I'm not sure I understand your urban slang but I believe the car would accelerate at a high rate.

It'd spin the front inside wheel and go nowhere or if it was hi-tech enough to have an LSD it'd spin both wheels and push wide out.
Either way it'd be the gayest thing that ever happened, you wouldn't feel cool doing it and no one watching would think much better of you - that's why FF is gay and RWD is sick.

You don't know anything about the type r, friend.

You must be 18 years or older to post here.

For me, it's LWD, does wonders on those nascar circuits.

>When an inferior FWD sports car destroy supercars in the burger ring

The RWD fags on suicide watch everytime.

>"Muh weight shift"
>"Muh torque steer"
>"Muh grip"

Well your physics don't apply here.

FWD (Four Wheel Drive) is better in every appreciable respect and it’s what real race cars like Lamborghini use. RWD is just a meme to weed out newfags like (You).

FagWheelDrive

All other shit aside, it's just much more fun to me.

>comparing to cars/tires/track from 10 years ago
why isn't it up with the other modern cars

This. Ff is shit tho

With an ass like that it is a crime this wasn't an RR meme machine

rwd is generally more fun

but there are boring rwd cars and fun fwd cars

'performance' fwd cars now a days have tuned out a lot of the understeer and will oversteer if you know what you are doing

Where can I get a cup like that?

autism

>easy

Most shit cunts can't do braking drifts mate, but everyone can plant their foot mid corner.

People that hate on FWD probably don't know anything about driving fast. I'm pretty sure none of them can left foot brake or even heel toe. I bet you can't drift your RWD shitbox around a stoplight without being scared to hit the curb. The difference is I can because I have owned both FWD and RWD cars and understand both take technique to master. Something shit-posting unqualified benchracers would know nothing about.

That's a cool story but RWD is still better.

I'm not saying FWD is better (it isn't) but stop spreading misinformation. You can steer with the throttle on a FWD car as well, it just works a bit differently. When exiting a corner, more throttle induces understeer and less throttle induces oversteer.

I think what you mean is you can understeer with throttle on FWD, you can't oversteer with throttle, you can lift off oversteer, which is literally just weight transfer, it's not using throttle directly to rotate the car, it's using weight transfer.
Hardly the same thing, nice try with the gotcha but try again next time.

FWD cars use a bunch of tricks mostly surrounding forward weight transfer to get more grip on those vital front tires. RWD cars can do all of the same tricks, but also have other options depending on the situation based on throwing weight backwards and controlling the car's balance more actively.
FWD is by no means bad, anyone who says a FWD car is inherently bad because of the drive wheels is a benchracing asshole but there is a reason why the majority of sports cars have been front engine, rear wheel drive.

Obvious bait, both have their pros and cons in certain applications.

>live in second most expensive apartments near me uni (gated community, whole nine yards)
>tons of recent model mustangs, challengers, chargers, etc in parking lot
>winter comes (this is michigan btw)
>they all keep driving fine and dont seem to have any problem with conditions

b-b-but rwd is suppose to be bad in the snow!

to be fair, tire tech has improved so goddamn much over the past 30 years let alone 50-70 so that meme grew at a time where driving on snow was like ice skating and so having fwd was the better of two evils

>Obvious bait, both have their pros and cons in certain applications.
All things being equal, RWD is always superior on a legitimate racetrack

Is that just for proper snow tires, or have even all-seasons gotten to a reasonable level for light to moderate snow?

All-seasons still aren't good for snow, but they're a lot fucking better than they used to be.

In that case, would it be a big deal if I drove snow tires on dry days often? Where I live it snows really sporadically so I kind of want to be lazy and just leave the snows on for that whole chunk of the year.

yes, tires are better at being soft than they used to be but if things are drier and warmer then you'll probably find the tires wearing exceptionally quickly (at least i'd assume so, i'm not 100% knowledgeable on this)

>What makes RWD so much better than FWD?
Depends on drivetrain layout and application:
A FR with front transmission and a i6 engine sucks in snow due to low weight on driven axle.
A FF with transaxle gearbox sucks in during accelleration on dry pavement due to load transfer.
Transaxle FR, MR and RR are usable in pretty much all conditions, since they have at least 50% weight on the driven axle and transfer load to driven axle under accelleration.
MR and RR are instable in corners, wich can be a issue for inexperienced drivers.

FF gives you a simple, cheap and efficient drivetrain with lots of trunkspace.
So FF is great for normies and transaxle FR, MR and RR are great for Veeky Forumstists.

0-60 times.