Manual tips

>taking off from stationary position
>decide to try something new since it should work
>shift from first directly to third
>it works perfectly and allows me to quickly build speed

Am I retarded and everyone has been doing this forever?
I was taught to do the full rotation every time of 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> maybe 5

Other common manual tips really appreciated

when you say 'allows me to quickly build speed' i assume you mean it cuts out the time it takes for you to do the shifts. its not like its actually the objectively fastest way to drive as you obviously don't see any professional drivers going 1st to 3rd in a manual. if it works for you it works for you buddy :)

>this is what americans actually believe

Yes you are retarded, you are driving objectively slower if you skip 2nd.

Yes, your car was engineered to have useless gears, that makes sense

>skipping the entire torque band to slowly creep up to speed in 3rd
I just don't understand

with enough horsepower you can do whatever you want i guess. I used to do 3rd gear burnouts when I ran my hatch at the track.

If you have enough torque you can easily start in a higher gear. I have a friend with a mustang that almost never starts in 1st because it isnt necessary. Now in doing that he's saving wear on the synchros for what would normally be his most-used gear, but he's also putting more wear on the clutch because it takes more force to get the car to move in a higher gear

but saving gas and wear on internal components speed isnt everything speedracer

even then you're saving wear on your synchros in order to burn out your clutch faster

really depends how far up you rev in first and your gear ratios

t. smol 6 speed here
However, it usually prolongs the life of your engine and transmission if you DON'T skip 2nd and don't overrev.

Doesn't that lug your engine when you skip a gear?

Only if you don't rev match

yeah,I used 2nd gear to get going in my old diesel Golf pretty often on level ground

Yea this the reason I don’t take off on second gear instead of first skipping gears is only for experienced drivers user you are a pro driver now

Synchros for 1st and 2nd gear are shot so going to 3rd is less painful than having to double clutch and rev match perfectly to yank it into 2nd. If the trans is in good condition it doesn't really make any sense to do it, you accelerate slower and less efficiently

>clutch wear on rev matching
You don't drive, do you

Meant for

clutch is easier to replace though

I once started a 250cc motorcycle from a stop in third gear, and i only stalled like six times
>i didnt realize it was in third

Stop thinking of your gearbox in a prescriptive way. All it does is balance the mechanical advantage of the engine vs the road. Dofferent circumstances mean you choose the right gear whenever you need to, it's not just a case of going up and down the box purely by numbers.
If you're going fast enough in 1st then there's nothing wrong with going straight to 3rd. The problem is that if the road conditions change quickly, for example traffic in front is travelling at an inconsistent speed or there are numerous developing hazards, being in too high a gear can leave you out of the ideal powerband to actually use the engine properly.
Just read the road and decide what to do based on your intuition.

Yes, you can skip gears.

Sometimes I go 1->2->5/4, because at 5000 rpm on second gear I have 60 km/hr and it is OK to drive on fifth (or forth) at those speeds.

>wastes gas
>is not actually faster
>also unsatisfying to shift
op is a fag

I go 1 to 3 from a stop light if I'm behind some slow fuck. My car tends to jolt forward when I shift to second. Maybe I'm shifting too fast from an overrevved 1st. Either way I just coast in 3rd while traffic gets up to speed then top gear, skipping 4th.

I'm not sure what the point of 4th gear is. I think it's for economical cruising because any kind of gas over a light push is useless in 5th. I try to use it for coasting under 40mph. I heard somewhere that most people skip 4th and go straight to 5th and only use 4th for high speed passing like on the interstate?

1st is the starting gear, 2nd is the power, 3rd is the cruising power, 4th is the high speed passing and 5th is just economy?

not even saving gas, better to be in power with lower throttle than out of power WOT