What is Veeky Forumsur opinion on the DeLorean?

I find it a pretty interesting machine, although it can be underperfoming, with some upgrades you can pretty sure turn into something good. I fell in love with the design as well, minus the windows, that aren't really practical.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1tJ0KlyUqpE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a crappy car but still a cult car

It's shit but people love it since it was in a movie

>can be underperfoming
is very underperforming
ftfy

this
also everyone who loves it because it was in a movie completely missed where even the movie called it shit

It's engine is pure garbage but the car itself looks really cool. It's really only worth driving if you do an engine swap, though.

The body is boner inducing. I had a crush on these cars ever since I saw my first one when I was 7 or 8 - before I even knew what the movies were. I got to drive one not too long ago, and it's really underwhelming. I've seen a lot of different swaps in these and I'd love to drive one of those to compare.

It's no question that the car itself is shit. Underpowered, unreliable, and poorly built. Had it not been for Back to the Future nobody would've remembered it.

>they haven't converted to the Bricklin master race

youtube.com/watch?v=1tJ0KlyUqpE

It's amazing what an engine swap can do to a car. Absolutely amazing.

looks cool, is shit

that's an impressive swap, but with the engine so low i'd be worried about taking it out on some of the roads around here, i'd be extra worried if i lived near tyronesville, it'd be easy for them to fuck with that fan belt :(

i like them because giorgetto giugiaro is a patron saint to car design

I was reading about the company's owner, it's a shame it was made at the wrong time. Perhaps the company would've been some weird thing most people don't know about (like donkervoort), but maybe it could've been an american mazda or bmw

> is a senior design project

holy hell i need to go back to school

Bricklins are even shittier; worst car I've ever owned.

I know this car; he runs the risk of snapping the motor mounts, tweaking the frame, and grenading the transmission if he goes all-out. Kinda defeats the point if you're afraid to use the power.

It's also been hollowed out behind the lights, so the slightest tap goes straight into the engine. Not necessarily an issue; but, still a factor to be aware of when parking. One tap from a brotruck destroys all that work.

I like them, I admit I'm biased because le movie meme even though like said even the BTTF said it sucked a time or two which in most ways it did.

Even that aside I think I'd still like them I like John Delorean himself, and feel that the DMC-12 is one of those stories of failed potential I mean it had things going for it, giugiaro design, lotus underpinnings, DeLorean himself had a good track record for the most part until this (The Vega is the one other major mark against him and he only got it shoved onto him when it was nearly out the door) but funding, shitty construction, an underwhelming motor for the application made worse because the car was made for a market that then choked that engine to death and then the whole coke trafficking sting he got caught in when his money dried up. It's sad they were working on the shoddy quality and apparently later cars are better built they also had plans for a Turbo varient to bring up the lackluster go but never saw the light of day due to shit decisions.

It's an interesting car, and I like it for that, but it's not a particularly good one. Never would go out of my way own one though because I don't want random people and fedora lords alike to sperg out about Back to the Future (I'm saying this with it being my favorite movie to) and inundating me with questions if I dare drive it without it going to an event. I don't mind someone asking me about or complementing my car, but I imagine the same questions, every time, as well as the same overplayed movie jokes everytime would drive me up the wall slowly.

probably because as shit as it was, it is the best thing to ever come out of an American auto maker to this day

>opinion on the DeLorean
crap

I would unironically buy this car.

Also, anyone who wants to know anything about the DeLorean; ask. I've owned 6 of them.

What is the best engine to swap in?
I'm assuming you did this to at least one of the 6.

Never swapped an engine; the transmission setup is ridiculously prohibitive and the frame is designed around the 2.8 they come with. The easiest swap is an Eagle 3.0; but, it's not a car that lends itself to swaps because of the transmission/transaxle setup.

Rip John DeLorean.

Well ain't that a bitch.
Is turbo an option? Personally, I hate them, but I could accept one if there was no other way.
Let me guess: It's possible, but the upgrade in performance isn't worth it.

before the memes were memes

Yep. I've got a period turbo kit from one sitting in my shed; no point in using it.

The easiest mod is swapping intakes and adding a carb/supercharger. Even just a carb, intake, and better exhaust adds nearly 70 HP.

nice!

I wish they weren't memed to death since I genuinely like the looks

>I've owned six of them

May I ask why I mean I like them my self, but did you buy them all to flip, just had one had to get rid of it wanted another alot, or what there has to be a story there.

>+70hp
Still just puts it around a base model 4th gen Mustang.
What's the beefiest you got one up to, 270hp?

A few parts cars, one for an attempted engine swap, a daily driver, and now my current restoration project.

They're decent cars and the owner's group is incredible.

My turbo car was probably around there; any more than 300 and you have to reinforce the transmission internals.

What was wrong with the DeLorean PRV engine ?
I've seen twin turbo setups of these in Volvos and Peugeots. Pretty good power.

To be fair, the delorean had one of the worse versions of the engine since it had the catalised exhaust port and the odd-fire cast crankshaft, while later engines had even-fire forged cranks. But even that engine can make big power if you port it and/or turbo it, especially since it can be made to rev quite high.

Limitations with the transmission ? There's an UN1 Holloway kit that rates it for 500 HP on 5 speeds and adds a quaife limited slip diff. If you don't want to do that most people swap the transmission out of an audi v6/v8 diesel, which is the cheapest replacement you can find. However the engine and transmission are actually pretty light, so swapping tends to make the weight distribution even more extreme.

Most of all, people forget that at the time this car was lauched, the 5.7 L Corvette had all of 190 hp. Hell the "see some serious shit above 88 mph" quote was a joke about the federally mandated speedometers not being allowed to show speed above 85 mph, it was that bad.

Honestly I think the powertrain is actually the least problematic aspect of the car since the build quality isn't impressive and the chassis taken out of an lotus esprit rusts extremely easily which doesn't help the already weak handling. The alpine A310 and GTA is basically this car done right, outside of the lack of gullwing doors.

I oddly know three people that own DeLoreans. I've ridden in one of them extensively. It's a pretty shitty car, no joke.

Now are you considering the one you bought for a 6 pack of Mr. Pibb, the one History tried to pass off as that car, and the one you swapped VINs with to get out of the contract as three separate cars?

When metal 3D printing takes off and the rights to chassis designs expire in the next 20-30 years you'll see a major resurgence of classic car exteriors

>countachs
>testarossas
>Chevy Novas and roadrunners
>GTOs, mustangs, Bel Airs

>dood in the future you'll be able to click a button and a car body will pop out!
No.

>dude there's no way we'll ever be able to fly!

Reading comprehension is hard though, I know. You act like 3D printing is like some voodoo magic. We can create pretty crazy things with just plastic already, you don't think metal is going to be accessible in the near future?

That's TWO cars of the 6.