Do I need to change rotors

In the middle of a brake job. Not sure when they got changed last but they look pretty smooth. 22mm thick which is the minimum thickness it says. Do I need to change them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWYvTeBonRA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

measure the thickness and make sure the run-out is within spec. at least, thats what a service manual would tell you.

if its your own car and you wanna save money, run your old rotors. If its somebody else's car, change the rotors. Worst case? you can always change the rotors later down the road.

>Doesn't replace rotors every 500 feet

It's my car but I'm selling it to my sister soon . Since they're down to their minimum and I've already bought the new ones I guess I might as well change them then. Although I guess it would take a while longer before they wear out to the point they need replacing
Thanks

With that lip your rotors need to be turned, I don't care that the surface finish is fine.
And turning a rotor at min spec won't happen unless you own the machine.
Just stick the new ones on.

yes you retard why would you not????? poorfag or just stupid? i swear to god if you bought some autozone bullshit ill be filled with rage

Reading is hard
>22mm thick which is the minimum thickness it says

That means that his current rotors are 22mm thick, just like the minimum spec.
I swear we need to gas everyone who doesn't natively speak English. Indians don't natively speak English, I don't care what you say they have no grasp on the language.

Jokes on you I already realized my mistake and deleted my post!
But you probably should just get new rotors, they're pretty cheap.

>minimum thickness
>your sister is going to be driving it
Yeah, change the rotors.

Most shops I know that don't suck dick refuse to reuse rotors because you have to carefully grind off all of the pad material and machine new bedding hatching into the rotor at which point you're probably too close to the minimum thickness.

And this ignores the part where pad transfer material can sometimes become very hard and won't be easily removed by milling so people think the rotors "warped".

what the everloving fuck is with that bolt pattern....

as to the rotors themselves, replace them. they will be under minimum soon enough

>already at the minimum thickness
>do i need to change them

just get them resurfaced, it's like 18 bucks to get it done.

how do i know when the rotor surface is fucked?

did you not read the part where he is at the minimum thickness?

>they're pretty cheap.
>mfw they were 100 bucks each

Anyway I'm done now. If anyone's still around, I just tightened the caliper bolts as hard as I could physically as I couldn't actually get my torque wrench on one of them anyway. With threadlocker that should be fine, right?
Also does it matter that I got disc brake quiet all over the calipers and some of the tools? I'm paranoid after reading the container and it telling me it can give you cancer

I hope you didn't just over-tighten reused caliper bolts. Yeah, if they didn't snap, they're on there, but be prepared to replace the bolts next pad change. You'll hear a noise if they're loose. Do a test drive when there's no traffic. Uhh, it's all right as long as you didn't get any of that shit on the pads or rotors. Fucking everything can cause cancer. Just don't rub it all over your body and lick your fingers.

Oh, and if you squirt some brake cleaner fluid on a rag, you can clean up the mess on the outsides of the calipers. Most people wear nitrile gloves so the cancer juice doesn't soak into their fingers for a couple hours.

Some user was telling me he could get them for $20 or some shit, still I can get them for my car for about $50 ea.

>I'm paranoid after reading the container and it telling me it can give you cancer

everything can give you cancer user, especially in California apparently.

Literally what car is that where steel rotors are costing $100 ea?
Also kill yourself if you're afraid of cancer.

If he's talking about brake fluid that shit is seriously bad for you and you should always wear nitrite gloves when you come into contact with it.

He's not talking about brake fluid,

>I got disc brake quiet all over the calipers and some of the tools? I'm paranoid after reading the container and it telling me it can give you cancer
Sounds like he got CRC disk brake quiet, the red shit in the spray can.
I seriously don't know hwy anyone buys that, it's a boomer meme. My dad always used it, and every single fucking car he's ever worked on the brakes squeak on.
I just use copper anti-seize or ceramic brake grease on the back of the pads, my brakes never squeak.

dude, brake fluid is just hydraulic oil. sure its not great but if you just wash it off it wont cause lasting harm

The torque specification is stupidly high, 210 ft lbs I think. They weren't too hard to get off though so I don't think the guy who did it last did either.
thanks for the advice

I guess it depends how common your car is. The joys of driving a European car.

>The joys of driving a European car.
European cars are hugely popular in the US
And even rotors for extremely rare old european cars are about $60ea

Oh right, I've never used anything on any brakes I've ever done.

I've been in contact with it more times than I should have (young and dumb) and it's not nice stuff, I always wear nitrite gloves when I handle it now.

Yeah I don't care much for the apparent cancer causing properties of bacon, diet coke or plastic bottles but since I'm new to this stuff I wasn't sure how dangerous it is and if I'm going to get cancer from handling the tools that got traces of it on it
It's a Saab
>Kill yourself if you're scared of dying from a debilitating illness
I don't follow the logic. Might wait until I contract it first desu
I saw one guy syphon brake fluid by putting a clear plastic tube in the container and sucking on the other end. I was thinking dude is that really a good idea...
I wasn't going to use it but I asked the guy at the auto parts store for silicone paste and he gave me that and I bought it and realised it wasn't what I wanted and thought I have it so I may as well use it

Softie.

Well Saab to be specific. I had to drive to the other side of the city to one of the few places that still stocks parts for them. Also that's 100 in dollarydoos.

Say what you like I've been doing this shit long enough to notice what is and isn't good for me.

>dollarydoos

Yeah righto, was talking yank dollars before - for some reason they get rotors really cheap (probably because they still have an industry)

Who cares tho?
Honestly.
Who fucking cares?

I know, right? I never wear gloves. I always spray brake cleaner on my hands to wash grease off, too. The tingling tells me it's getting in there good, giving my hands a deep clean that's just not possible with that gaywad pumice shit. Fucking pansies are probably scared to eat a sandwich when their hands are covered in coolant or light up a cigarette from arcing the battery.

youtube.com/watch?v=DWYvTeBonRA

This would be a million times better than the sithspit we have now

If you can feel a lip at the edge of the rotor, which it looks like, then you should toss the rotor

>mfw this picture is real
Poor EP6.