OHV is expensive

Alright, so I've been researching the prospect of buying a Jeep to spend time with my family, going on adventures with the likeness to Barstow to Vegas and various mountain trails.

But, I have come to the realization that off-roading has a higher takumi tax than initial d cars. Jeeps are horrendously overpriced and anything "trail rated" has a $10k tax on it. Why?!

Is there anything that meets in the middle? I just want working A/C and the ability to drive long distances on extended OHV trails.

>FCA
>ever
horrible decision 2.bh fa.m

Old yota, old XJ

"Trail rated" is a meme.

I got around just fine, even kept up with newer Rubicon jeeps, with a mostly stock 1994 Pathfinder. Even on harder trails I never had much of an issue.

Mods were a body lift and 32 inch BFG baja claws.

You don't need "Trail rated" for every-day ORV shenanigans. Rock crawling is the only thing that I can think of being more important to have a trail rating, and even then I would just buy something and build it instead of paying for it stock from jeep.

is that your house now? geez dude.

Lol I took the pic you're referencing like 50 feet to the right of that one, but no, it's not my house.
This is my house.

"Trail rated" is for faggots.
Get an XJ and build it up for overlanding/light rock crawling

WTF is trail rated?

honestly jeep wranglers went up in value because of 'liberated' 20-35 year old women who want to look 'independent'. they'll spend anything to maintain an image, so blame them.

honestly anything that has a locking rear diff and 33" offroad tires will be able to hang with some throttle and lack of respect for body panels

No idea.

Really, I have no idea. Looking at cars it seems that it can be anything from a bag of tools that come with the car, to simply a parts group added to the car. Stuff like tires, or what kind of seats it has.

>its an OHV car user
>oh well, slap another 20 grand to the price
>i know what I got

offroad culture is a cult

>hur dur just gay marketing lol doesn’t mean anything
Literally just fucking google it

“Every Trail Rated 4x4 Jeep vehicle has succeeded against a series of grueling tests in five categories: Traction, Water Fording, Maneuverability, Articulation and Ground Clearance.”

It actually means something. Those vehicles have upgraded suspensions, tires, and other tech goodies like disconnecting sway bars and locking differentials. Trail rated badge means that the Jeep in question has passed off road testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC).

Anything you enjoy as a hobby will be expensive.

You could just answer the question user, I'm not Murrican and I've no interest in trawling through carsales ads and marketing tripe to discover the root. You summed it up enough with
>Trail rated badge means that the Jeep in question has passed off road testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC).

it doesnt justify the price people are asking

trail rated sounds like a sales gimmick to me

you're paying a premium because people won't respect you unless you have a trail rated badge. gotta have that badge brah

Is overlanding like a religion or something?

Youtubed "overland" and found an entire sect of people who take this more seriously than racing.

Yea nah, it's a total sales gimmick.

I work Forest Service in nor CA and our rigs are stock 4X4 Chevys and Fords and RAM trucks. When it snows and we HAVE to be out in the field for some oddball reason we just use chains.

The other day the fire guys went out to pull a poor sap who considered some of the poorer condition FS roads as "off road" out of a fucking water bar. Guess what he was driving....

My nigga

Which of the 3 Do you prefer and why?

Asking for a friend

>uses trucks that cost a fuckton more than Jeeps but Jeeps suck mmkay
Yeah alright. Buddy that got his dumb ass stuck is exactly that, a dumb ass.

Right out of the box Wranglers are more capable then the majority of vehicles out there in that price range. Even base model JKs are excellent off road and on the rocks. The trail rated badge is more then just a gimmick.

Trucks>jeeps

How much do your neighbors hate you?

A lot, I need to move to a place with more parking and no HOA lol

HOA gets me too for onstreet parking for my XJ and when I had it on jack stands for a few days doing an axle swap. HOA is the biggest kikery in the world.

Bro they fine me for leaving a skateboard outside, they fined me for the ornamental iron I put up outside.
MOTHERFUCK HOAS

Throw a set of semi aggressive but not bro-tier tires on a pickup with a rear locker. If you need more than that you might as well put the money towards a set of dirt bikes or a side by side.

Go live in a abandon mine or something. Fuck it homie

what's a water bar?

I used to drive a JK Rubicon but it was dumb because 99.5% of my driving was on road and I was paranoid about scraping it against trees and rocks and stuff. Get something you don't mind fucking up and don't have to drive every day and it'll be more fun.

just buy something old