pastebin.com/91QntR9H

>[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
>[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

>The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

Tempus Ex Machina Demo: mega.nz/#!Bg1hnChK!xccg-bwOD_yb_UksDYyE4IhsJKkEIwAONZrbPlhxpcA
Latest SteelZeroes Demo! mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27
The Long Road demo: gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740
/rpgmg/ Collab Project: mediafire.com/file/qtat9xy1p1215dh/CollabProj-3_5.rar
Someone needs to finish Chapter 4, anyone? Do you even dev?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!45swzCgT!G0XeuIfCSJZC9gp7xJSoqKdGGayuhqBSsuX_LkF6pnI
dewdneym.itch.io/unknownworld
youtu.be/e1RxxKfhb-A?t=235
strawpoll.me/13514081
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/script-call-collection-for-vxace.25759/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Oa0cRGpjC8L5JO8vdMwOaYMKO75dtfKDOetnvh7OHs/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can this user tell me more about his game? Looks neat

How long should we keep stuff in the OP?
Stuff like the Demo links. People using mediafire can update files without changing the links, I don't know about mega.

How many months until we decide something is abandoned?

That is some nice art.

It's a slow moving general, and a slow moving process to make a game, so I feel we can keep things around a pretty good while. It's not as if we have new demos lined up to take the current ones' places!

...That said, the Steel Zeroes demo was uploaded over six months ago, and Long Road is getting up there as well. I certainly wouldn't object to removing them at this point.

Perhaps we could create a page for older demos on the wiki? And move things there after a certain amount of time.

> dying with a single-digit post count

Clearly, everyone is too busy working on their games to check in.

Y-yes... that's what I was doing!
I was playing Smash

anyone do stuff that modifies health bars?

Got drunk after fixing nine maps worth of cliff issues. Now on to ten with a hangover.

Oh dear, you should have told me you would include my demo in the OP, I would have given the updated link...I don't believe I can keep the same link but have a different file with MEGA and if you can I don't know how I would do that, but here's the updated demo for Tempus Ex Machina:

mega.nz/#!45swzCgT!G0XeuIfCSJZC9gp7xJSoqKdGGayuhqBSsuX_LkF6pnI

I would have posted the link in the last thread I mean. Anyways, the RTP needs to be downloaded seperately, just in case for whatever reason someone can't get the game to work and hasn't done so. The rest of the updates won't include the RTP either since the file size is so much smaller.

Make a side quest based on this picture.

bump

How much will constantly running parallel process common events impact game performance? Just simple ones like detecting when a character's level has changed.

A couple here and there generally won't do too much, but the more you have that don't shut off, the more your game will lag. It's a good idea to just not have to many of those in general if you can help it.

Hey, to the dev of UnknownWorld
the game looks awesome and I'm loving it so far but I get this bug where the font becomes huge right after I hire my first party member

Yeah I made a bunch of fuck ups in the newest build, one of which lets you level up effortlessly cause I'm an idiot. I'll be uploading a fixed version shortly.

With what version? Do you have any specific questions about them?

Ok I just fixed it. A new download is up.

Link for anyone else who wants to try it: dewdneym.itch.io/unknownworld

RM has hundreds of checks running in the background every single frame already, so adding your own isn't that bad.

You should still find smarter solutions when you can, though, and your example is a situation where you can use a smarter fix. It'd require only adding a single line of code, too.

Inside the levelUp function for Game Actor, you'd add a line of code that turns on whatever game switch you want. You'd then use that switch as a trigger condition for whatever (common) event you want.

yanfly released that plugin, and it made me think about more ways to play around with the health bar.

Not just changing AI at set percentages, but things like enforcing your own hp boundaries with skills. Dealing weakness or something changes up where the hp boundaries are, making "angry" mode happen faster or even the opposite.

I can't find any good scripts that bring you to a checkpoint after losing a battle. Anyone know of anything?
Using VX Ace.
Honestly, this should be an option supported by the engine by default.

If you're using evented encounters, just turn on "Continue even when loser", and do whatever you want.

If you're using random encounters, you'll have to make a very small change to BattleManager's self.process_defeat function.

When you look inside, the game goes to Scene_Gameover if the @can_lose variable is set to false. For random encounters, it's always false. You'd change this function to whatever you want.

Likely, you'll want to turn on a game switch inside this function so that you can create an event that runs when the party loses an encounter as well.

bump

Cyan's site is still down. Safe to say this might be it. Does anyone have his material in a zip or anything similar?

bemp

Is it me or is this place deader than usual?
Inb4 it's because everyone is 'working hard'

It's because everyone is working really hard!

I finished my practice demo and started studying and putting concepts together for the real thing. I won't have anything to post for a long while.

Fuck yeah, intro text crawls!

This helps a lot but now I gotta figure out how to make the player teleport.

I'm assuming what I'd need to do is make a "get location" event on where I want the respawn location to be and make the script teleport me to that variable, right?
I just have no idea how to accomplish that because I don't know anything about ruby syntax.

I don't want to be rude but this is possibly the worst way to dumb your lore.

Only Star Wars has ever been able to pull off slow text crawl intros.
Don't do this.
It'd be better if each of those paragraphs had an acompanying scene to make it look interesting.

It's a side project with a focus on gameplay first. No cutscenes other than the opening text crawl, NPC dialog as limited as possible. Trying to call to mind the limitations of FF1.

you use so much orange for emphasis that said emphasis has no meaning. like, a good third of your text has the emphasis color

>Trying to call to mind the limitations of FF1.
Speaking of FF1, it did a small intro like that much better. Or at least the remakes did.

youtu.be/e1RxxKfhb-A?t=235

NES Zelda and Metroid had similar crawls if you let the title screen sit long enough

then nes zelda and metroid overused emphasis coloring

maybe, it was an older way to lazily add story to games with none.

QUICK

POST GAMES THAT HAVE LARGE CHARACTER PORTRAITS

Heh

even mobile games are doing it

Worth going below the waist?

artsy backgrounds or just your game behind the busts?

Trying to make a "fatal attack" kind of thing in MV - the enemy has to sacrifice itself to use it. I'm having some trouble.

I've tried all of these formulas:

a.die(); a.atk * 6 - b.def
a.addState(0); a.atk * 6 - b.def
a.addHp(-9999); a.atk * 6 - b.def

They all seem to have the same effect: the enemy dies but the sprite never gets a death animation. The image of it still stays on the field. How can I force the death animation?

Pic related, the bees are dead but the sprites don't go away.

Fire Emblems

I use vx ace but if its the same with battles, then there should be a few event commands you can run on the troop events page. You can have one checking for an enemy to have 0% hp, then show animation command, select whatever animation you want on the dead enemy. In the enemy database, make a completely blank enemy with no graphic. Back to the troop event page, have the dead enemy transform in the blank enemy. That's how I would do it.

I came up with a solution after some more experimentation. I created another skill called "die", and used a.forceAction() to force the enemy to cast it on itself.

Alright, the swamp should be 100% done. Here's what it all looks like! Now to make the REAL second dungeon.

I think I can FINALLY move on from the first few areas of my game. Making NPCs reactive to the events of the world was a mistake.
It's a pain in the ass but it's worth it.

Next up is placing treasure and balancing the monsters of this small cave.

Which RPG Maker do you primarily use? I'm curious about what everyone here works with.
strawpoll.me/13514081

It would help if I attached the pic. Derp.

reminds me heavily of the swamp area in the minish cap

I am loving this map. It's charming as hell.

I tried listening to the podcast and it's kind of... not very rpgmg related? It mostly seems to be chat about non-rpgm games, with the occasional pause to go "oh and Yanfly made a thing".

...I mean, other games are of course relevant to a game maker - as inspiration, as examples of what to do or not do as you make a game - but it doesn't feel like the themes are sufficiently put into a game making context. It's more about the games themselves than the lessons I'm supposed to take away from them - and even from a game making standpoint, it's not very much about rpgm itself.

Must be the podcast gang, because this has fuckall to do with RPG Maker.

Go resurrect the JRPG General or something.

Reminds me of earthbound.

Actually, I've never played minish cap.

The tree tile corners are white.
I dunno why you would do an entire map with a glaring problem like that; now you have to waste time fixing it.

thanks

>Reminds me of earthbound.
Not what I was expecting but I'll take it. The mother series has a good aesthetic even if the first two games are pretty bad from a technical standpoint.

White? What are you talking about?

I KNOW THIS GAME.
Dev user, you're the best. I love your aesthetics, I hope to support you the moment I'm not a dirty neet.

The tree top corners are white, like the transparency is messed up.
Or possibly, snowtiles underneath?

Is this the season changing developer who wanted to make a jungle using deciduous forest tiles?

Oh I see. Click on the pic to zoom in. Those white spots aren't actually there. Veeky Forums does some weird stuff when resizing large pics. At least for my pics. And any transparent sections actually show up as black in game too.

How can I get a legal RPGM MV cheaper (preferable not the steam version unless I can use it outside steam)? I'm willing to spend my hard earned money but 80 bucks, for fucks sake, that's a bit too much, don't you think?

Nice tilest. Did you make it yourself?

Wait for a sale or humble bundle.

MV was seen in humble bundles? How often are the sales? How much it's usually off?

For anyone looking to do script calls similar to event commands, refer to these bookmark-worthy links:
>vxa
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/script-call-collection-for-vxace.25759/
>mv
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Oa0cRGpjC8L5JO8vdMwOaYMKO75dtfKDOetnvh7OHs/edit#gid=0

Do you know how to teleport the player back to a checkpoint through only eventing?

I specifically mentioned at the very end that you'd want to use a game switch, because that'd let you go back to doing things through eventing immediately. You'd have that death processing function turn on a game switch, then you'd have a map/common event automatically run with that switch as one of its trigger conditions.

Yep, it's 100% original. Thanks.

Did you use a MapScreenshot script?

Yes. Still shows up fine on my end tho if I click on the pic to enlarge it.

Got some more progress done today.
Act 1 is basically done, and I'll work on Act 2 next.

Once said Act 2 is finished, I'll release another demo, so it'll all be sorted out by the end of the year, hopefully.

That's great!

I'm using VX Ace and I can't find a script to show mini HP bar on map. Many XP scripts had mini bars, I don't remember to see any battle system with mini bars on map to VX Ace. Is there any?

should i post a buggy demo?

Why not just fix the bugs THEN post it?

Post anyway.

Shh.

bumpin

That's not it.
There should be a ground tile underneath it.
It's not suppose to look like that.

What, you mean like this?

Thats better.
You should overlap the tree trunks too.

I'm not a spriter. I did the best I could to fix the corners but anything more is beyond my ability.

what? No. Just overlap the tiles you dummy.

Oh damn, that script call is a godsend. For whatever reason I couldn't find the ones for VXA, just XP and MV.
Now I'm able to call a common event and get everything going from there.

this has a nice roundness to it as a thumbnail, enlarged image is pleasantly earthbound. well done

Bump

Not that guy, but that wouldn't work in VX. The forest roof tile and the grass are both A-layer tiles. You can only have one or the other.

VX mapping is really fucking bad, huh?

I dunno how they fucked it up after getting it right with XP

Well sheeeeeeit. Anyways, back from getting some food, continuing to dev.

Yeah I was confused as to what you meant but made me realize you were talking about something in a previous engine.

It's pretty bad. I WISH I can have those extra layers. Since we are stuck with what we got in VX Ace, I can't even put tiles of the same tab group behind or in front of others and end up with pic related. It's got some stupid hierarchy to how it decides what can be placed on/in front/behind what.

boring bugfixing bump

there was a bug where sometimes the menu wouldn't draw any of the faces.
i know that i'm always using the same image file, so i save that bitmap as a local variable, and it's used each time drawFace() is called. normally, drawFace() creates a temporary bitmap to hold the requested face to be drawn.

this fixes the bug, and it alleviates a bit of the performance hit when opening the menu.

because it's boring

Looking at spritesheets for games like Recettear where you have these large character portraits in dialogues, and trying to condense my main character's feelings into 7 or so main faces or emotions to reuse for the whole game is stressing me out. I feel like it's not enough, and that I'm too stupid to figure out this body language.

Recette has 8 faces total, for all her emotions and suffering. Eight!

What does the 318 mean?

mana cost. it's being shown with the wrong placeholder icon atm. perhaps it'd make more sense if it weren't being shown next to the tier-9 bard weaponry icon.