What is the appeal of stock car racing?

What is the appeal of stock car racing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l19F2YPVey0
youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Skill

Supposedly nascar is enjoyable as a live be-there spectator sport. the cars are loud, wrecks can get crazy and everyone's having a beer eating snacks and enjoying themselves. i prefer INdy and actually really enjoyed watching the Indy 500 live on TV this year and wish i could've gone in person.

Crashes.

>Skill
> Driving in a circle for hours
> Requires skill
You could replicate that 'skill' with a brick on the accelerator and a few gears to turn the wheel for the 'corners'.

Ironically the pace of action is much faster. While in F1 you might have 20 turns and few passes as the cars gracefully move from one turn to the next, stock cars crunch, grind, bump their way around 200 miles. One bad decision can lead to the loss or gain or several spots quickly. The cars despite being heavy bricks are fucking fast. Much greater spectacle with 42 cars instead of 16-25

Stock cars are very difficult to drive
But stock car racing and f1 are for queers and the drivers are complete sissies

Rally is a real mans sport

>Rally is a real mans sport

While every single racing driver needs real grit... I second this.

See this is what I thought too until I went to one. After a couple laps, the cars get spread way, way, way too thin and you have NO clue where to watch, you basically just watch the corner that gets the most wrecks and that's it. Pretty fucking dull tbqh

Assuming you mean ovals, you're supposed to be able to see all the action, but that doesn't happen on large and especially flat tracks. Also far more passes for position and side by side racing than anything else.
Only faggots wouldn't like 40+ heavy cars with 750+ hp V8s on the same track.

It used to be a really cool sport to watch, even if it was kinda boring.

Now with all the artificial stuff they have done like stages, phantom caution flags and pretty much engineering race results, they have lost a lot of fans.

American LeMans used to have a rabid, hardcore fan following. Since nascar bought them out, I don't see anyone talking about it anymore. Now it's a safety car for anything that happens to "bunchemup" and adding those kit cars (daytona prototypes) to the mix completely killed it.

Fans don't like anything artificial. However, nascar has been family tradition for a very long time here in the united states. That's what keeps it alive. They also don't allow any other form of racing take hold in the states, which is why they bought out both premiere sports car series that competed with them. Indy is next.

Btw, the only reason Indy wont race at COTA is because the owner of Texas Speedway, another oval, didn't allow it. So, they ended up making a parking lot race where Dario Franchitti crashed and broke his back.

The only racing series in the world I feel still has serious merit is Aussie V8 Supercars. But, they might end up the same way.

Racing in america has absolutely lost its merit. The zeal is gone.

>implying IMSA isn't the pinnacle of sportscar racing

It was.

Now it is not.

>PC and DP gone forever
>more than one manufacturer in the top class
>GTE BoP that isn't the ACO's
>no factory teams in GTD
>Joest and Penske
>proper tires for everyone next year
Sure thing bud

I'll have to check it out.

But constant full-course cautions for any little thing is really tiresome.

Drama, it's basically like a soap opera for men, same as pro wrestling.

>Rally is a real mans sport
>primarily sissy euro drivers

>sissy

youtube.com/watch?v=l19F2YPVey0

whats the appeal of any racing?

its one of the more enjoyable racing series to watch

>almost 40 years ago being representative of now

kek

>What is the appeal of stock car racing?
knowing I can buy a toyota camry with a 800 cubic inch motor and rear wheel drive

>contrarian
youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

>not even rally

whats the relation here

Cletus and Bubba was doing more than this running from revenuers before heading to the NASCAR race

Yea, cars have gotten faster and safer, but also a hell lot uglier.

Nascar was nice as long as the cars were closer to street vehicles.

Check from youtube, Bill Elliott Talladega 1985

They still use carbed engines. No production cars do that. The cars are nothing like real cars, aside from looking a bit like them.

They were still related to street cars all the way up to the 80s? fuck that would be cool now.

>Bill Elliott Talladega 1985

not impressed by someone cheating

and Im not an autist who cares about how racecars look wtf lol

lolno the 80s is when that stopped

Literally none

>They still use carbed engines
Didn't they switch to EFI a few years ago?

>The cars are nothing like real cars, aside from looking a bit like them.
Who was even saying they were?

yeah NASCAR has been fuel injected since 2012

cant expect haters to be educated

and the cars are looking more like their road counterparts now t

I wish NASCAR stuck to its modified street car roots
I mean it's cool to see a V8, manual transmission Camry and Fusion drive around, but they aren't representative of the actual Camry or Fusion
Just a chassis with a fiberglass body put on top for aerodynamics

Did they replace the "SS" that was their primary representative nascar with the camaro?

As someone who only really watched a few races in a very casual way, I liked a lot the fact that you never go 5 laps without something happening, I like how there are some apparently convoluted rules about how to use the pit lane during cautions and pit stops which puts a strong emphasis on strategy. Also pit stops themselves are a good show to watch.

I find it overall less boring to watch than other forms of Motorsport, but again, I've watched is as a complete casual and I'm a sucker for endurance races anyway

yeap

I went to the Daytona 500 once it was pretty boring. Would much rather go back to 12 hrs of Sebring.

>Driving in a circle at around 250 with more than 20 drivers for four hours
>No skill
Kid, your not thinking this through

it was alright before the cars became blobs with stickers

That's american motorsport.

You get used to it

I think you had to watch NASCAR when you were young to enjoy it. I'm not sure how an adult could get into this kind of racing.

Indy is great but its a lot more refined and nuanced of a sport.

The cars are the same but each team does their own set up and strategy and then the driver has his own skill to factor in. They race on street, road, and oval so there are multiple disciplines.

NASCAR is really wwe. They bang in to each other, they talk shit, they're loud, they crash them, etc. You follow it as much for the personality as the race.

Its also been homegrown, particularly in the south, where you take your kids and have some beer outside and have a good time. Again the race is only a part of it.

ALTHOUGH, lets not fucking pretend F1 is ANY better in 2017. HAM is shit and wins every year anyway. All the F1 discussion you read in /F1/ General or plebbit is about KIMI'S NEW CAT! VERSTAPPEN GAVE HAM A FUNNY LOOK LMAO. Nobody talks about the fucking race because it a fucking parade. The formula sucks right now and the most exctiing moment of the whole season was when Verstoppen passed Kimi (FOR THIRD MIND YOU) but it ended up being illegal and didn't count.

F1 is objectively shit racing. I dont watch NASCAR but I assume its atleast better than F1.

WEC>INDY>IMSA>F2>MazdaLights>>>>>>>NASCAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>F1.