MR2 W30

What are your opinions on this car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NqaWng6-_dU?t=117
twitter.com/AnonBabble

At least the alternatives have trunks, no matter how small they may be.

Newer mr2s make me sad

the only MR2 I like

small and cute
beast when swapped

I own one. It's my daily. I use it for everything, city, long drives on freeway, etc.

People complain about things like lack of storage space and oil consumption. Those issues are blown way out of proportion on the internet.

It's an excellent little car, even if you never do an engine swap.

I'll be around for a while, reply if you got any questions.

how much oil does yours burn?

somehow gayer than a miata

cheap lotus if you throw the 2zz in it

I'm pretty interested in them, not sure if I'd like having to keep my guitar and books in the passenger seat all the time though

I like them.
I want to 2grfe swap one.

Another owner here, I daily a 2ZZ swapped with the GTS 6 speed. I love it, the storage space is only a minor inconvenience and even then there's a decent amount. I can see this thing lasting for many more years and it may be the single greatest purchase I have ever made.

Pros:
>Cheap to maintain
>Handles very well
>Lots of swap options
>Relatively cheap to buy
>Plenty of storage space if you never have a passenger
>Very light
>Makes a great track car

Cons:
>Ugly as fuck (and I'm a Toyota fanboi)
>Has a precat in the header that blows back into the 1ZZ causing oil burning issues and even lowered compression
>Not enough storage space to go get groceries with gf in the passenger seat
>Seriously the single ugliest car Toyota has produced in the past 30+ years
>You will need an expensive hardtop, aftermarket bumper, and wing to make it look decent

>Seriously the single ugliest car Toyota has produced in the past 30+ years
Lets not be too hasty.

don't forget about the shoop'd cars that for some reason made it to production.

its good
would love to make a mad trackster out of one

tfw i love how it looks even though i love the previous mr2s more
that one you posted looks amazing, almost like a lotus

I really really want to buy one but I lack the self discipline to save up $6k for one.

The reason why I want one is because:
>2200lbs kerb weight
>rwd
>convertible
>year 2000 or newer
>not over 10 grand
>not a miata

>over 15 yo
>rhd legal to import now
>look at prices

hmmmm

I wanna buy one and 2zz swap it and get 250~ hp out of one but then i wanna get a big ol car-bin fai-bur wing and a c-one bodykit but it wont be fast and people will think its fast and try to egg me on on the highway and then ill look dumb

what do?

Put a tarbo on it

wait i just did the math and power to weight ratio is twice what my already decently powered daily is so that makes it fast plus mr meme speed makes it even faster im good

turbos are very lame
i used to have a mazdaspeed 3 and the turbo lag although not crazy long was such a pain to deal with. even after getting used to it the torque band just felt weird whenever id drive a na car and get back into it

is supercharging 2zzs a thing?

I think Lotus may have used a supercharged 2ZZ in the Elise but I'm not 100% sure on that.

it's the ultimate time attack machine, and it looks great with a hardtop
youtu.be/NqaWng6-_dU?t=117

Turns out they did so on the Exige and some model of the Elise I've never heard of and got to around 240 hp. TRD apparently sold the kits back then but I can;t imagine finding one now.

Poor man's Porsche desu, I prefer the SW20 even though my favorite is the AW11

Shit in every aspect. Toyota fucked up the looks, the engine, the transmission (in the US), etc.

They also fucked up the suspension. MacPherson struts on all 4 corners on a slow, shitty looking, underpowered car. It will never reach the potential that it could have otherwise.

Nice chassis though, and with bracing and some stiff springs, it can be a good cornering machine. However, Toyota fucked it over. You can fix the bad looks (on the pre-facelift cars, the facelift cars look alright), you can swap the shitty engine and 5 speed open diff transmission for a 2zz and C60, etc.. You can do so much with this car, but you can't fucking fix the suspension. It is fine on a perfectly smooth track, but this is near impossible to find a perfectly smooth track.

I can live with the lack of storage space, the meh looks, the meh powertrain, and all of the other shit, but not the suspension.

Race it

I go to my local AutoX, I'm surprised how many Baby Boomers have this car at the event.

MPG?