What does Veeky Forums think of Mini Coopers?

What does Veeky Forums think of Mini Coopers?
Considering buying one

I like them but they ride pretty hard considering their price and purpose.

Might as well get a JCW also.

And avoid the first generation.

I don't like that they don't seem too reliable compared to muh jap brands, and apparently their suspension fucks up pretty bad after a while.
I'd only buy one for a gf I don't have so she can think I'm some god who can fix cars. Other than that at the most, I'd lease it and save up for something better (but why not get a 3k civic at that point).

British reliability
German parts cost

I like them. People complain about reliability, but the way I see it, they're decently reliable but a pita to fix when something does go wrong. They also have that RX-7 thing going on where if you find one on CL it better have really low miles and/or been totally rebuilt, except unlike the RX-7 you can't just rebuild these motors like lego.

Mine was fine. That being said, what people are saying about how they ride is true, they drive like a lowered MX-5 and their body is so low that if you ever run into a speed bump you're just fucked lmao

The interior is a hit or miss for some people, most of the time people see the centered speedo and go "HURRRRR WHY IS IT IN THE CENTURRRR" even though there's a digital one right on top of the wheel

I just got a 2009 Clubman S with 47,000 miles.

It rides pretty bumpy and I'm wondering if it's worth it to look into replacing the suspension or just saying fuck it and deal.

I would like some rally lights tho.

When the Miata just isn't gay enough you buy the Mini Cooper

this unfortunately.

I own one. It's great for a hatchback, but is correct.

I'll buy a classic one someday

They are awful, don't buy one.
I just did the oil and plugs on one, it's burning a quart of oil per 1000 miles, it only has 90k miles on it, everything is leaking on the engine, it's a total disaster of a car and every part for it costs 4x more than a normal car.
They are truly awful cars.

anecdotal, also your furry opinion means nothing

One of the most unreliable cars ever made.

The dogfucker isn't wrong, they're piles of shit and you can't deny it

wish I did research and knew this before buying it

windshield is cracked in half, my options are $1400 for an OEM one from the dealer or $400 for a random one out of a garage.

front spring is fucked thanks to Canadian roads, garage wants $1500 for springs and struts, who knows what the dealership wants for that.

the repair costs are literally adding up to more than the value of the car itself. That's the last time I buy a cheap used German car cause they sure as fuck aren't cheap to repair.

even little things are overpriced. fucking headlight bulbs were 50 bucks, or 30 for yellow lights. like is this some kind of joke? bulbs should be like 50 cents....

I've grown to fucking hate this car, never again. I've had it for only 9 months but I'm counting the days till I can replace it

They're unreliable garbage. They ride too rough so the interior develops tons of rattles and the engine is shit.

You are coming to the same realization everyone does after buying one of these cars, it's fucked up man.

Believe what you want lol, doesn't change the fact they are garbage cars

Ive got an 06 cooper s. I bought it with mid 40k miles for 9k which (especially 4 yrs ago when i got it) was a pretty good deal. I fell in love with it, but its aging horribly. Not only is it super annoying to do mainenance on because everything is packed in such a small space, but bmw engineers are peices of shit and make you get proprietary tools for a bunch of dumb shit. in the span of the last 6months ive had failures of: clutch, oil pressure switch, two exhaust hangers, evap solonoid, harmonic balancer, and one of those $50 lightbulbs someone else mentioned. Ive already replaced the struts but its they are failing again. My power steering is starting to go (common). Ive also replaced the oil in the supercharger which was an unbeleivable pain in the ass (you have to take off the entire front end until you are litterally looking at the block, and you have to unscrew it from the block along with the water pump its attached too, which also means you have to drain the coolant). I will never buy a german car ever again no matter what. All that being said I still do have a love for it. It feels like youre driving a go cart, and it rips around corners, and sounds pretty good. Only buy if its real low miles, and plan on either selling it before 100k miles, or taking a big loss financially. Idk anything about later generations, but theyre fat and uglier so I would stick with gen 1 (04-06 series).

then how come mine wasn't a pile of shit? ;-}

Op here, I recently lost my car due to a wreck and need a car. The Cooper I'm looking at is pretty the only thing I can find that I can afford and one everything else that I'm able to afford is a pile of shit that has a ton of problems listed.

chick car

becuause you took care of it

Older Mini's are neat, But unfortunately 2000< mini are a fucking nightmare to own.