Is a Porsche 987 S worth it?

Hey Veeky Forums, I found this deal on CL and I literally cannot find anything better.

>14900
>yes it's auto, but that isn't that much of a compromise if it's going to be a DD
>perfect colour combo
>owner is an old dude who has taken really good care of it
>only 100k miles
>IMS has been replaced which makes this car about as reliable as a toyota or lexus

Now for the important part, finances
>I have 8k to put down, assuming I use just my savings and don't touch crypto
>I make close to 3k a month after bills and taxes
>I also run my own business, but also work a regular job PURELY so I can get a car loan
>That doesn't factor in a car payment because I just sold my first car in hopes of finding a good deal
>I am 19 but have a perfect driving record, so insurance will be hefty
>I am willing to budget at least $500 a month to a car payment, insurance, and saving for repairs

could I afford this? Would use as a daily driver for the rest of college. I have done hours upon hours of research on the cayman and it seems like the absolute perfect car. I love Porsche and these seem to actually be somewhat reliable.

Other urls found in this thread:

cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-porsche-cayman/6372286033.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-porsche-boxster/6388638031.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2007-porsche-cayman-sku7ucoupe/6418908976.html
planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/116636-adding-sport-mode.html
renntech.org/forums/topic/19305-sport-chrono-package/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

oh also

>car is in michigan
>I am in florida
>one-way flights to nearby airport are $100 but I don't know a mechanic so I will need to inspect the car myself

still worth it?

The Porsche 987 is the most fun you can have for low money period. But no auto. Also postfixed with period.

I wouldn't buy it, auto, 100k miles on it, pretty far from FL, there's gotta be something comparable closer to you. Maintenance and parts will be expensive but you could likely find someone in MI to do a 3rd party inspection before you buy it.

Also, if they don't have all the major mileage based maintenance records, I would look elsewhere.

Okay I've read both posts now. Despite being a massive Porsche fan I don't own one, I drive a... Fucking hell, Kadjar. Long story.

I've only heard of the Porsche's repairs I cannot give you any proper first hand advice. A lot of people will though despite never even having touched a Porsche.

If you can afford it do it. You seem to be doing very well in life mate. Well done.

cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-porsche-cayman/6372286033.html

Found it

Thanks for the heads up OP, gonna go pick it up tomorrow!

Why do you have to put 8k down? Isn't it a private sale?

>auto

fuck no, it's not even a PDK, this is the dogshit early auto

>why do you have to put 8k down?

Because I've been saving and don't want a ridiculously high car payment. Keep it under $170 and budget for repair costs.

Yeah dude, looks like a sweet deal, buy it. But for half that you could also get a nice boxster/boxster S and get literally the same experience.

Also yeah it's a great car because of the driving experience when you're driving stick. If you're honestly just doing it to have a nice looking car that can go fast, auto is fine - but a manual boxster can be had for cheaper and achieve the same level of status pretty much

example
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-porsche-boxster/6388638031.html

and that guy probably would take less than that

Also, same car sold for $3k cheaper

orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2007-porsche-cayman-sku7ucoupe/6418908976.html

>>yes it's auto, but that isn't that much of a compromise if it's
That's a pre-facelift 987, which still had the awful tiptronic unit.
If it were a post-facelift 987 with the PDK it'd be perfectly acceptable, but the tiptronic lets the rest of the car down massively.

So the main reason for looking for an auto is purely because I'll be making one long highway trip every couple of weeks. I run a social media management business, and most of my clients are in my hometown, and I attend college about 3.5-4 hours away. Since I'll be making that drive so frequently, I really do not want to be bothered with a manual the whole way down. It's a massive expanse of flat, boring Florida highway.
How bad is the tiptronic? I don't plan on usuing it too often(only for small highway pulls and such), is it really that bad?

It's easily and by far the worst part of the car. Slow to respond and never does what you want.
Especially jarring since the rest of the car is so good, nice engine, great chassis, and then that transmission just comes in and ruins all the fun.

Manual swap? Upgraded atomatic? Something like modern tc and mechatronic + software updates?

That would entirely defeat the purpose of buying it cheap. Take a look and see what the manual cars are selling for. There's a reason autos can be found at basement prices

Manual swap would probably be more expensive than just getting a manual one in the first place, not to mention hell to sort out the electronics. Same with putting in a better auto transmission like a PDK.

Apparently the Sport Chrono pack makes it a lot more bearable though, and there are after market solutions if the car didn't come with it.

OP(and brainlet) here, how much would that cost?

planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/116636-adding-sport-mode.html
renntech.org/forums/topic/19305-sport-chrono-package/
Here's a few useful links, seems like it's a $900 piece of software from just a quick read.

>manual swapping a porsche

Okay that's not bad. Could easily save up for that. Easily doable

>I am 19
>I am willing to budget at least $500 a month to a car payment, insurance, and saving for repairs
>Porsche 987 S
Insurance alone is going to be like $500 a month

This.
Unless you get minimum coverage liability insurance only, and its still going to run you 200 dollars a month.
If you're still financing the car and the bank owns it, you'll be forced to take a bunch of coverage.

if it had pdk, well yes, otherwise now
dtc is final redpill

But is it littered with traffic? Once you put it in top gear, a long consistent speed doesn't mean shit for experience auto vs manual.

fuck even with a perfect driving record?

time to land some new clients lmao

How do you get clients and what is your billing outlay like? I’m not from your area or anything I’m just curious about how such a business operates. I would imagine you make your clients sign a contract as well? Kudos to you for being so financially savvy at your age.

So I do social media management and website design for local restaurants and other businesses. When I'm not in class or working, I'm coldcalling. I go on google maps, write down websites, find emails via whois registrations, and send eblasts every Monday morning, generally to about fifty or sixty local businesses. Then Wednesday I send a follow-up email and by the end of the week I'll have three or four meetings set up for the next week. I generally close one of those four. So far I have closed with 25 social media clients, and have made 18 websites. For a year, that's not bad at all. Except for three clients that were really serious about a contract, I just send them an invoice at the end of each month for whatever they owe and it's generally paid on time. These guys are rich boomer restauranteurs and could give a shit about giving a 19 year-old $250 a month to run their social media and bring more people through their doors so he can make payments on his dream car. In fact my age is my best selling point - I'm young and therefore am assumed to know everything about social media.
As I start university full-time in January, I will be in a brand new city to expand my business even further. This model is not sustainable and I don't plan on taking anything out of crypto for years, so I need to start making passive income ASAP, which is my winter break project.

Hope that answers your questions mate

Also of those 25 social media clients they're all at different prices, and some just aren't giving me content anymore, so I make about $4000 a month total from them. I make, on average, $550 from each website, and have in total(according to my book, could be wrong) made 20k. most of that goes toward tuition and bills, so social media is my main revenue source.

I'm working to make passive income during university though, for example I'm working on a subscription-based site, and a mobile app that I've been working on for several years.

So yeah the future is bright, would love to finally sell my first car and get something I love driving. A 20 year old Camry with no AC(in Florida, mind you) or stereo system is getting a bit old.

>auto

the only thing that will come from this purchase is regret and self loathing

>yes it's auto, but that isn't that much of a compromise if it's going to be a DD

Get a Miata then move up to a Cayman or Boxster. You're doing well at 19, but not well enough to drop money on a fancy German toy
Trust me I bought a Boxster at 19, they're nicer as second cars

>Financing a car
Unless you think its going to appreciate (it won't) don't go into debt for it. Buy another business and pay cash when you can get something that isn't ancient

I'm on my mid-20s and daily my 911. Unless you've already sorted out your life(finished school, steady career, own your own house), don't bother getting a Porsche yet. It can and will bankrupt you.

There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche and if you need to think about how to afford one, you probably can't.

>borrowing money to buy a car
no

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make and what is your insurance premium?

I can easily make enough to cover the payment and a REASONABLE insurance premium but most sites won't even quote me, unfortunately.

It's kind of sad because, as you can tell from and I'm clearly a bit more mature than most my age.

I make ~100K/year and I pay $250 a month for insurance with full coverage.

Use Kanetix and you should be able to get a quote.

listen to him. The tiptronic will make it slow as fuck. Dont bother.

You're 21, insurance is going to be on the high side regardless of what you get

The IMS bearing was only the tip of the iceberg. The engines used are NOTORIOUS for head damage, misalignment, cracking and head gaskets destroying themselves...all nice ways to get coolant into your oil.

Florida cars in general, especially higher-end stuff like Porsche and Corvettes, are a shit-ton cheaper than northern cars.

This... There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. Go take a look at how much Porsche replacement parts cost.

I pay $49 a month to fully insure my 2002 Boxster S... You are doing something wrong.

>Comparing a boxter to a 911

OP is looking at a Cayman that's only a few years newer

Strange because you hardly ever see any of that stuff except on the most abused and neglected engines and these cars often rate really high up on 10 year reliability ratings, just behind Lexus

A Boxster is literally 75% 911. They're almost identical from the door latch to the front bumper

Pretty affordable if you don't cuck yourself at a stealership

How could you even consider an automatic porsche?

is this fucking bait? lmao

>you seem to be doing very well in life mate

its a fourteen thousand dollar car. What do you live in africa or something?

>middle aged people in America need to finance $3k Civics just to get to work to keep enough bills paid to keep a roof over their heads
I'd say he's doing well enough

>tfw weird ass non-related uncle has a super nice 80's porsche in his hoarder garage piled under junk

He never drives it, its so buried I don't even know what model it is. It hurts me knowing its there, probably with dry rotted wheels, last time I even saw it was when I was 12, I'm 21 now. I know for a fact he hasn't started it in 15 years at least.

Ask him to buy it

Hes a hoarder sadly, he has never sold a thing in his life.

Used to sell used european cars. Totally worth it if it was a manual. In tiptronic form, youd be better off with an auto corvette

I got a 987 Cayman S, here is my advice :

>Take only Manual before PDK
>Take Sport Plus option
>Take care of IMS
>Don't listen to the haters, Buy It

And you'll be able to laugh, to amerifat shitbox, low powered front engine BRZ & Miata, and other poorfag who are too afraid to follow their dreams.

Drive ! and HAVE FUN !

OP here

Im actually 19, which makes it even worse.
I've noticed this in my research. Also, the best thing about Florida cars is that there is very little risk of rust.
I have a lot of friends at my college who know a LOT more about cars than I do. I was lucky enough to get paired with a mechanical engineering major as my roommate, who grew up working on BMWs with his dad. Also one of the BIGGEST reasons I am looking at a Porsche is one of my best clients for my social media management business is my local Porsche dealership - my dad is a local sportscaster and the owner of said dealership is a long-time advertiser.
As explained earlier I'm just not confident enough in my mastery of driving stick to commit to DDing a manual car. I will be doing a lot of city driving so that might be a bit annoying. The only highway driving I'll be doing is when I drive home(about 3.5 hours across a ridiculously straight, flat road), so while I'm sure it would be a LOT more fun, I need to learn a bit more.
Yeah, I'm by no means rich, but certainly doing better than your average college student with, say, $5 in their bank account at any given time. I am ridiculously frugal, too: I almost never eat out since I have a meal plan and rarely party(which is difficult when you go to arguably the biggest party school in america)
see above

Also the 987 looks sleek as FUCK. It's appearance is that it's worth several thousand more than it actually is. Any normie would look at this car and think "damn, that's a nice porsh(misspelling intentional)" and assume it's the same price as a brand new 911. This could be very advantageous to my YouTube channel and subscription-based website where I give people business tips - it's hard to flex the fact that you pay your own tuition, or convince people you're financially stable in my current car, a 2000 camry I bought from my grandparents at 16. time for that shit to GO

self-bump just in case any/o/ne else has an opinion

You are cancer. I don't even care what you do about the car. Just stop posting here.

Dont buy a Porsche with a career based in social media.

Buy a cheap Miata then Take the money and out it into stocks. That revenue will dry up one day with the snap of a finger and you'll be screwed. Put it in the market and you'll grow it at a stable rate and have something when you need it. Or you'll have a down payment for a house or something nice.

Not the same in terms of horse power and people who drive them or value.

Just shot through craigslist looking for a cayman s myself. Everywhere on the west coast, actually. I could find manual 2007 Cayman S's for 15-16k asking, so even less if you were to haggle. You're not missing out not getting the car, OP. Look for a better, more responsible deal. Get clean boxster S and be done with it.

>business tips
>uses his savings to put 50% down payment on a $15000 automatic shitwagon for "other peoples perceptions"

>I need to learn a bit more
Learning stick is easy, don't buy an expensive thing if it's not what you TRULY want. The learning process is going to seriously take you a day or two and you're going to regret being stuck with an automatic

>$250
Holy fuck, how new of a 911 is this?
I got quoted full coverage on a 2008 C2S for $115 a month. (For reference, currently paying $80 for full coverage on a 2008 shitbox)

Fun fact, the 911 engine swaps right into the Boxster since it's just a bored out version of the same engine. Even the ECU can be flashed for the 911 engine profile