/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Card edition
previous ded: >>
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named that is banned from Veeky Forums. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/
>Crossout, found in the deceaed robocraft general, RIP /rcg/
>/pg/
>/feg/
>/xcg/
>/rbxg/
>/fgog/
>/ink/
>/twg/
>/fgoalter/
>/fhg/
>/skg/
>/srg/
>/felmg/
>/lolg/
>/fog/
>/csog/
>/rlg/
>/bbg/
>/aceg/
>/dd/
>/gbfg/
>/dsg/
>/vn/
>/agdg/
If you're looking for any of the aforementioned generals, please use the catalog search function

Information about these games, like where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other can be found here:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb is back, open to pubs (1181502)
>space-engineers.com/server/73821/stats/

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/ammtws.rar
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>
Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named that is banned from Veeky Forums. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/
>Crossout, found in the deceaed robocraft general, RIP /rcg/
>/pg/
>/feg/
>/xcg/
>/rbxg/
>/fgog/
>/ink/
>/twg/
>/fgoalter/
>/fhg/
>/skg/
>/srg/
>/felmg/
>/lolg/
>/fog/
>/csog/
>/rlg/
>/bbg/
>/aceg/
>/dd/
>/gbfg/
>/dsg/
>/vn/
>/agdg/

Oh christ

We may get in trouble for this but I'm not sure if the mods will actually care

Factorio server info
>version
>IP
fagtorio.dynu.net
>password
vidya
>mods
a.pomf.cat/ammtws.rar

Pirate-friendly, 15.30 is on KAT

Latest happenings:
>shit's fucked, the weak-willed advocate for abandoning ship
>elf mode activated, whole base is shut down as the brave heroes manually fight off the ayy hordes
>pollution eventually dissipates, ayys barely attack anymore
>Laser Turrets researched, makeshift military blue science is set up

This is gonna end well

Wonderful work OP

Good morning /agdg/!
What are you working on today?

I remember when /egg/ was a comfy autism thread with no shitposting and petty drama. I guess good things are never meant to last long.

Just improving my steam planes and crashing jets into towers.

Putting all those names in the OP was something /kspg/ did a lot of times
10$ on a kerbshitter being OP today

I am working on roomba bot that is programmed to stab people with a fork.

Why do FTD missiles not change orientation when falling?
It makes no fucking sense. It also makes guided bombs way more difficult than they'd need to be.

>Why do FTD missiles not change orientation when falling?
Do they have fins?

They do.

I bet Marek believes in planck's constant meme

Looks like a 2790 block, 1080 m tall tower might be a bit too much.

Could you post a pic of them? I've only done guided bombs once, and more than guided bombs they are missiles aiming downwards

>Vertical strands with no connections between
What did you think would happen?

I'm talking about the framerate, not the fact that it's unstable as shit and prone to crumbling. It was intended to crumble, I just wanted to see how far I could take it before it started raping my framerate

That being said the 360 m tower is perfectly stable using only bracing at the top

You should rebuild the world trade center.

>I'm talking about the framerate
imagine if stalker devs coded besiege

>slavcode anything
truly best code

you wot?

Exactly what he said, /kspg/ put names of a fuckton of generals in their OP multiple times.
That being said, many generals did it as well over the years, so it's just shitposting.

yea, but
>/egg/ is always comfy, no retards come to interfere never
and
>it must be kerbniggers, since we have not been talking about punishment string for the last ded or 2

So what would happen if a frozen star collides with a star that isn't frozen?

That you get a temperate star

Reminder to report any and all consecutive uses of 11th 19th 16th and 7th letter of the alphabet because they can only be used deliberately and only by shitposters belonging to that namesake.

>Games that are definitely not /egg/:
but, that's obvious. Isn't it?

For the record the number on the yellow circle was meant to be e to the power of e but it failed to render somehow.
And the blue one is missing too.

>you can aply engineering into anything and call it /egg/ meme

not to the /hsg/ who raid us saying that's too difficult to click their own thread

did you use paint.net?

Steam from steam planes can't melt block towers! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

I used the first result for "hearthstone card generator"

How is Robocraft any more /egg/ than Crossout?

except /egg/ did this the first time /hsg/ shitstirred in the days of /egg/heim but with more generals

Speaking of FtD, what ever happened to nick dropping support for it to go work on another game?

Huh, never noticed that was still there.
Basically we don't bother removing games from that list very often, but put more in the other for shits n giggles

second game happened to also be ftd

Are there any commonly used things in Factorio that are actually bad and have a direct superior?
Apart from tiered things obviously, stone/steel furnaces etc.

I thought it was supposed to be a singeplayer only game, brilliant skies or something like that.

>it was supposed to be a singeplayer only
just like ftd was

Nuclear power is a direct superior of coal based steam. Solar not so much given the massive startup cost and space requirement. Laser turrets are all around better than any gun turret by nature of not needing ammunition. Tanks are better than cars.

gun turrets are way better than laser turrets even though they have to be fed ammunition

reeee fuck cargo race

Nick decided to drop multiplayer support. Solodev was a mistake.

It is more ded than Cuckout; qed.

is that a fist on a spring?

Ive got a question about CHOADE....
How does carrier module design work?
For some reason I cant desing my own decoy launcher, its nowhere in the "payload" list...
Also for some reason all the default payload in the roll up menu has different names.....
Large (300 MW) Decoy (in the roll up menu) VS 294 MW Nitrocellulose Flare..

Is there a separent category for "payload launchable without a missile/drone" in the module desing editor?

Out of the box they have bigger range and only slightly less damage than piercing ammo. Upgrades make it about 4 times as good as the laser turret and it's exponentially better with infinite upgrades, but again, you're constantly feeding it expensive ammunition and requires a massive logistics system to automatically supply. If your base is eternally under siege by 1.0 xenos, it might be a good idea, but if lasers can take care of the xenos, lasers are better to use.

If you look at certain data analysis and spreadsheets you'll see that the fully upgraded gun turret with piercing ammo is significantly stronger than laser turrets.

Also, don't fucking overlook the power drain of those shits. One laser turret firing, just one fucking turret, is the same as suddenly having 25 extra assembly machines 3. They do use ammunition. Just because it's more practical to place them it doesn't mean they don't.

Is this the home of Wiley Coyote?
Where does one procure a 30mm Boxing Glove?
Do I need a tax stamp?

Yes. I don't remember which update introduced it.

Getting closer to 900 kph, but I'm running out of places to add more steam jets

Power is one of the most abundant resources, especially later in the game. Rather than the peak consumption that a couple accumulators or steam tanks can solve, the idle consumption sucks, having ~100 lasers already pulls 2.4MW.

>considering piercing at end-game, when uranium boolits exist

Oh yeah, they do. I guess with that making gun turrets some 20 times as powerful as lasers, it's worth having them.

Thats not even mach 1, why do games hate sanic speeds

unity engine

Loops of any kind, storage buffers (other than rail stations), storage tanks, lane rebalancers, attempting to do belt balancing with combinators.

>unity engine
Why do devs hate games

Cuckout devs put out a timetable for their brawl mode. Its pretty fucked up, and for many people around the world that play, brawls are only open at like 2 AM or while they are at work.

Fucking russian devs.

>storage tanks
this
not all of them, but most apparently

Where my fagtorios at

>steam tanks
Why do people do this? It is always cheaper and more land efficient to just build more max capacity. It's not like water is a finite resource. And it will never use too much coal. And if you're at the nuclear stage, fuel is so cheap just design for max power draw including defense power draw.

See this is why free2play is a meme. I'm 99% certain you haven't paid a cent for cuckout, but you will never ever drop this grindfestr because you paid for it in 200+ man hours, and that's worth more than a AAA game on release. Don't start playing free to play, they're not made to accomodate you, or to provide entertainment, they're made to steal time and milk people.

I can join and be useless

I don't think that airframe will hit mach 1 with steam jets, the more water guns you add the more the plane weighs and the more weight you have to add to counter the imbalance in the center of mass. I'm trying some radical weight and drag reduction now but it's making the airframe very unbalanced and so fragile it shits itself under low G forces, and I'm only getting to around 245 m/s or 882 kph. Of course I could get supersonic with modded engines (or the scramjet glitch if it still worked) but I'm trying to do this with only vanilla power sources. Mach 0.7 might be the limit for this airframe

Most of my planes that use the modded jet engines can go well beyond mach 1 if you give them enough room to fly, but you have to fly way outside the playable map to test the real top speed since they need a lot of room to fly in a straight line. I remember one of my planes hit something like mach 1.6 in level flight but it took a while to get there

>distances are already compressed
>just lie about the speed
Not like there are transsonic and supersonic aerodynamics in besiege

steam tanks are a godsend early-to-midgame for a time buffer between running out of current coal spot and running out of power.
set up 5-6 tanks, hook it up to a speaker, set up global alarm when steam goes low - voila! you have an emergency power if something bad happens to coal input

but what if someone managed to get the enterntainment in spite of the design?
then it's a net win

>I can join and be useless
Just like me.

pls remove it, it hurts my feelings. Remove or I will tell my mom

>but what if someone managed to get the enterntainment in spite of the design?
All I see crossout players ITT do is complain. That's not an indicator of quality time.

I've clocked reasonable hours in it too and I can mathematically prove no single aspect of the game was fun and the sum of its parts was diminished by F2P design.

I wouldn't know, I did not engage in kikeouting at any point.
>mathematically prove no single aspect of the game was fun
plese do!
>the sum of its parts was diminished by F2P design.
that's trivial though

>plese do!
>mathematically proving abscence of a subjective and nebulous concept
It's unpossible
Also, checked

Just like Warframe, 75% of the meta is locked behind timed exclusive event rewards that blow the shit out of anything you could get without having played for that one weekend in 2016.

Fluid detection systems is the only acceptable use for storage tanks. 1 storage tank is like 7 minutes of spare water for 1 steam engine, but the way fluid mechanics works you need to almost connect the 2 together. At that point you're doubling the size of the build, when you could double the size of the steam plant instead at cheaper cost.

Searching "egg" like I do used to actually return four or five different generals, which aside from ours usually had an OP image with a qt grill in it and I used to actually look forward to hitting that bookmark each day. I even went to one that stopped showing up and asked them to revert their OP so I could see their OP post again when searching for /egg/ each morning.

Why would I lie about the speed? They're using modded engines that can provide much higher thrust while not adding a ton of extra weight that comes with using vanilla power sources in high numbers, so of course they can go fast.

At this point the camera is shaking pretty hard and it feels like plane is vibrating due to the speed, but I don't know if that's what's happening or if it's just the game shitting itself because I'm very far away from the playable map. And yeah transonic and supersonic aerodynamics aren't modeled in Besiege but with some airframes that are usually perfectly stable at low and medium speed there's a pretty noticeable change in their behavior at high speeds, like they start to pitch up or down and require constant elevator input to stay level

canned steam is more efficient than accumulators and those are incorporated sometimes.
Late game I try to shy away from this practic, but early to mid it's easy to forget to expand power-dedicated coal mining and once the spot (or it's part) runs dry, you have a blackout, or, in my case a ringing noise that tells me to hurry the fuck up

blizzdrones are dumb as shit
what else is new

I didn't know that was possible

>At this point the camera is shaking pretty hard and it feels like plane is vibrating due to the speed, but I don't know if that's what's happening or if it's just the game shitting itself because I'm very far away from the playable map
It's happening even near stall speed so I'm gonna say it's the latter

Roundabout are shit and have always been shit. Kovarex, the head of Wube, LOVES his roundabout and rail loops and has been trying to optimize the code to make them work ever since he added rails to the game. No matter how much he tries to make them work, they are shit and intersections are better.

>Roundabouts are shit

this reference is appreciated

you are like aglodooanon. alone in his autism, but still awaited to post by other anons
multiverse when?

>multiverse
soon™

I think they are treated as missiles

I was just trying to think of a subtle way to make this reference
Top taste

>multiverse when?
Soon I hope

But I don't know if I should get too excited about it. Won't be as fun as it could be if it doesn't allow modded machines. And then there's the stability and performance issues

>And then there's the stability and performance issues
if they can pull this part off, modded will not be such a problem, there is plenty of shit than can be done to another player in vanilla

Why did corneroids have moving asteroids out of the box and no one else has done this so far as I know?

Currently working on a way to make my amazon echo to interface with factorio so I can give voice commands

Is there any speed/accelerator difference between normal wheel and normal steering wheel ?

Oh of course there are ways to do air combat with vanilla methods, but mods are so convenient and fun. If we could use cannons with increased firing power and infinite ammo (which doesn't automatically make things easier, you have to design the plane so it can withstand the brutal recoil without disintegrating in the air after two shots) and rockets with extra thrust and explosive power we could have some neat dogfights. Vanilla rockets are completely useless as weapons, they're intended to destroy game assets like walls and towers that crumble if you sneeze in their direction.