MPG = Miles per Gallon

MPG = Miles per Gallon
1 mile = 1 609m
1 gallon = 0.003789 cubic meters

m/m^3= 1/m^2

therefore, the unit for gas mileage is an inverted area

My car gets 17000 per square meter.

300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

If you want to get specific, a gallon is a measure of volume, not 3 dimensional area, so cubic meters is not an appropriate SI unit. That's why the liter exists.

>The cubic metre (in British English and international spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures) or cubic meter (in American English) is the SI derived unit of volume.[1]

please elaborate

liter is cubic decimeter, which is 1/1000 of a cubic meter you fucking retard

it's funnier in yurop, where the unit for gas mileage is an area

>mfw all I care about are smiles per gallon

why is cubic metres not any good for volume?

1 cubic metre = 1000 litres

SI defines a liter as being 1 cubic decimeter () but in this instance you are measuring a liquid volume, not the volume of a container. Liquid volumes expand and contract according to temperature while maintaining a constant mass. In the context of measuring chemical reactions (i.e. the amount of fuel used in combustion) it is more useful to measure the displacement of liquid you are burning.

Actually, a chemist would never use displacement to measure liquid inputs into a chemical reaction, he would use molar mass, but this is making things to complicated.

wait, nevermind i'm an idiot.

You're saying 500L will take the shape of the container and not automatically look like a fraction of a cubic metre.

Niggas can't extricate such abstractions from their tiny brains.

Typically, liters is used for non-geometric measurement of volume - such as a backpack. I can visualize how much a 30L backpack would be able to hold, looking at a photo of it. It makes less sense to visualize it in the form of 0.03 cubic meters.

Because in metric countries that aren't fully retarded, we reserve litres/mL for measurement of liquids or non-solid substances (i.e. powder, though sometimes measured in grams), and we reserve metres/cm for length/distance.

Things will get fully retarded if we don't draw a line somewhere. Otherwise these bloody post-modernists are going to have us using it for speed too. I refuse to drive less than 30*10 liters per fortnight.

>mfw my car gets 0.00006 square meters

You idiot. A cubic meter isn't a cube, it can just as much take any shape as a liter can. You're confusing a three dimensional coordinate system with a unit of volume.

I didn't say it was wrong to measure volume in cubic meters, I said it was more useful to measure in liters, because you are measuring the displacement of a liquid which is being burned in a chemical reaction rather than the volume of a container.

Like I said, the correct method is molar mass, but I don't think most people want to know their car's efficiency in terms of gram meters per mole.

I'm not confusing them, I'm simply stating that for common, everyday use it is simpler for people in metric countries to use liters for non-geometric volume, and cubic meters for geometric volume. Likewise, metres/kilometres are used for distance, which is inherently linear (if not organic).

Both can be used, and a cubic metre has no defined shape, but neither does a liter. It's simply easier to conceptualize one over the other, based on common usages already in place.

E.g. you regularly ingest 40 litres of semen every week.

But if we tried to think of how many cubic metres of semen you ingest, it just wouldn't make sense. People wouldn't fully appreciate what a humongous faggot you really are.

>non-geometric volume

>40 litres of semen

What part of that is difficult to understand?

>we need to load up the back of this truck
>we know the box dimensions, but we also need to palletize the cargo
>we also know how high we can make it before it fucks our weight balance and handling
>as long as we keep 2/3 in front of the rear axle we're good

Now tell me how many fucking litres of cargo you're going to put on that pallet, and how it's going to be loaded. Exactly.

>very economical, 40000 furlongs to the hoppus foot of heavy crude

do you know what a cube is

>not using dog power