/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

fucks sake you let it die edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
monicacookart.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>see elf walk by carrying a book
>left eye covered in tears
>right eye covered in tears
>ask him how he is feeling
>says hes fine
i didnt realize lying was already implemented :^)

he man will WIN!
CHECK EM

pretty much everyone is always teary eyed
its weird

Online multiplayer PvP when?

If singles Herne loses

How would that work?

Basically in this version if someone gets a single sad thought they cry forever.

you are aware that non-0 repeating digits are disabled on Veeky Forums?

>embark on lakeside to make comfy fishing fortress
>There is nothing to catch in the central lake.
Why you do this to me?

explains my failures

What a bunch of fags.

does this mean he man can still win?

So he should have said, uncheck 'em?

Possible
Hey man, I'm just education people who are too dumb to lurk before posting
Meh, not getting repeating digits has no power.

>education
yeah it's late I'm off to bed

Could be implemented into invasions.
Send Squads off the map and let them invade a random player... would not be balanced, but its Dwarf Fortress.

Be honest. How many of you only play this game for the cute girls?

cute beards!

Not gonna lie, when I'm an adventurer I usually have them befriend a particularly attractive female NPC and give them gifts from time to time. Its cute to hear how thankful they are.

Its not the time to make artifacts you fucking faggot save my commander!
And I noticed that 2 of my 3 soldiers have become infected, not sure whats gonna happen next but it sounds bad for me.

Do flying mounts still exist? I remember my marksdwarves getting owned in my roofless towers when goblins mounting elks appeared in sieges.

Also, dwarf mounts when

Elks don't fly though.

Or do they?

FUCKING HERNE, HE COULD FLY ALL THIS TIME AND WE DIDN'T KNOW

I remember reading that your stats won't go beyond double what you initially set them at in adventure mode. Is this still true for this version?

Hehehe, I was thinking elk birds, but these don't fly either. Maybe it was giant bats of cave swallows.

>has become a military commander infected

what was he infected by

So I guess the healthcare system is still kinda fucked, Im pretty sure she shouldnt be walking around like nothing happened. Well crawling around actually.

Its the Corrosion mod, there was an infected ambush, basically zombies I think. They got infected after being bitten, I guess they will maybe turn into zombies at some point. If they do Ill probably have to stop using melee.

>tfw the random language generator gives one of your subjects an interesting name.

Yeah they transformed as I expected. Thankfully they were training in the barracks and my last soldier managed to kill them fast, and he didnt get bitten so its the best outcome.
Still pretty sad to lose these two, they were husband and wife and both skilled pikemen who came in the second wave.

Is that mod any fun to play?

>death, disease, and fertility

that makes no sense and is stupid

Life and death are just the same thing really

Usually yeah but the race that I was playing as was conceived as a living, inbred cancer swarm brimming with genetic defects and hereditary diseases so it kind of fits.

You could argue that fertility doesn't necessarily mean life or living of people, but maybe plants. Or a lot of birth, but many of those die.

Oh okay. Skaven. I get it.

Pretty much, except naked mole rats instead of actual rats, and a matriarchy instead of a patriarchy. The resemblences weren't intentional I swear. I just set out to make a naked mole rat civ and remembered reading documentaries about how they were pretty dickish and was like "Oh I guess they'll be a 'bad guy' race then." And after that I was wondering what their theme would be and I thought of a neat mechanic, where they lived to 90 years but had a random chance of death by old age (complications from defects) from 10 to 90, and once I thought of that I just had to put it in there and then I wrote some stuff justifying why they were like that and suddenly whoops not!skaven happened.

I havent played it for years so cant really tell, but it looks really more similar to vanilla DF now. It used to be dangerous to mine with weird syndrome causing rocks but I havent had any trouble mining so far.

W-What is this supposed to be?

Pretty cool user, I promised myself I'd properly learn to mod the raws when the next update hits. I've been dabbling in it a little, but all I've achieved is understanding more stuff about tokens and creating a bunch of unfinished, vomitous abortions, so that now my raws are a nightmare to go through. Got any tips for a novice modder?

>so that now my raws are a nightmare to go through.

Well uh, we're in the same boat then really. Someone took a look at my raws and said he had no idea how some of my stuff even worked without breaking the game.

I think the best thing you can do is experiment, try and do a thing, load the game and see if it works, if it works keep adding more thing until satisfied, if it crashes then check the error log and experiment until the game doesn't crash anymore.

Basically just bash your head against the wall until you smash clean through to the other side.

Oh and if you can't figure out something, check the wiki or ask for help. I usually don't ask for help until I've tried to solve the problem and failed so many times that I know I've developed tunnel vision and can't think a way out of the problem, thus necessitating a fresh perspective to clear things up, but do what you think is appropriate.

The best way to understand creature raws is to take existing creatures and modify them. The only thing particularly complex about creature raws are defining the bodies. Ask me any question if you have them and I may be able to help.

I thought everyone just always had 'tears' since your eyes are supposed to stay moist

That actually makes some sense.

I can't think of any particularly pressing issues at the moment but feel free to root around in my files, if you aren't the user who did it previously I mean.

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897

Come on dude let me help you.

Thanks I did not see that post.

no prob

>tfw by the time you realize you aren't getting any invasions you've built a grand fortress with glorious defenses you'll never get to use

I wish I could drop back into world creation mode and wait for the goblins to take over my continent

how do I put items in a specific bag in adventure mode?
i'm trying to put a bag within another bag specifically

nvm figured it out

I am looking at the ganbu now and their creature file looks okay but there seems to be a token declaring that members of the [MALE] caste have facial hair when the species has no hair. Have you thought about messing with the attributes they have more flavor?

Oh the facial hair thing is just leftovers probably. Also funnily enough all my other creatures have custom attributes. I must have just forgotten to do that with the Ganbus.

Can I train with fists like "Training weapons" in the guide?

so my dwarf therapist from lazy pack saying "memory layout error" and "version check error" and version from mastermind not working at all.

from splintermind*
is there some other forks for current x64 version?

Check the bay 12 thread, I got a version that works from there.

hmm it'll help to get more invasions? how to do it? just wait?

i can't see post with all the forks. it's too hard to find something in their thread.

What do you intend them to look like exactly because there are certain description modifiers which may not make sense with the appearance you have in mind for them?

Basically a cross between an alligator and an armadillo.

>next zombie attack
>infected spearman
Uh oh, you're dead. I raised my bridge but the siege is led by a flier infected so i had to send my two man military to fight him. Sadly the new recruit was bitten in the first action. He is 9 years old.
It's time to craft some ranged weapons.

shit, all forks require building from tar.gz, that is too hard. i don't have red eyes

do you have more such pictures?

Anyone got a training hotkey script for adventure mode?
I need a simple script for " Aa*gzua "

write script yourself in autohotkey. this is quite easy

^+v::
Send, Aa*gzua
Return

That?

monicacookart.com/
enjoy

it's that easy? thanks I had no idea.

Yeah, the + is Shift, the ^ is Ctrl, and the v is v. You can set the v to whatever or take + or ^ out.

no no i wanted random exclusive picture from you. not necessary from that author

Oh, I don't have many, sorry

not him but do you know how to just make it so you're passive? like you just let them attack you in auto attack

Yeah, I got one set up. You gotta press the , to make it go

^+,::
Send, .
Return

this one is good too. i like your taste

we've gone a bit off topic here I guess

Who's the artist of that one? I really like the house design, reminds me of the art in Lain.

tatsuyuki tanaka

post more

Thanks

Infected kid finally turned and was put down, some civilians also joined in the beating but thankfully noone was bitten.
But after he died, not sure what is happening but they kept fighting between them, not much damage except that my last soldier cut off the arm of my expedition leader, what the hell you crazy girl?

This looks strangely sexual.

not such pictures, this one is absolutely normal. also you took those pictures not from /b, right?

oh, nvm. Veeky Forums use the same number of digits in names

Nah, these are just random pics from the art folder I have, most come from /ic/. I don't have many unsettling or even strange images, just stuff I use as inspiration or when I wanna look at cool art.

(Previous: )

Apparently the expedition leader made a big mistake by landing the last blow on the infected kid. Everyone went after him and now he is dead. I thought this would go crazy ina full civil war but now only 2 guys are still fighting each other, we'll see what happen next.

One of the 2 guys got killed by a few others, but at least it's over now. I have no idea what it was all about, I thought it was a loyalty problem with the civilians attacking the infected soldier but only the expedition leader was part of this. Maybe they had secret grudges and try to pretend the other is infected to murder them or something.

I can't wait for you to have to hand draw hundreds of invaders. Why don't you outline your pictures? Or at least draw harder lines. I think this is one of your better ones because of the more defined lines.

Yeah, I cant wait for a HAPPENING of doom paul proportions to really get the action going. so far its been fairly run of the mill chores being depicted. but its good practice anyway.
Thanks for the feedback. I will work on line weight, I agree it needs improvement.. That being said, when I start getting these scanned, they will turn out better. the lines are much easier to make out IRL than they are in these potato photos.

(Previous: )
did 2 drawings today since I forgot to post one yesterday.
this one is much worse in regards to line weight. But you see how the left side of the picture is more defined than the right? its the glare from my desk lamp on the right hand side. Again, sorry, I really need to start scanning these - they would look so much better.

Oh yeah, that glare really affects it.

I would really love to be abel to play multiplayer worlds. I randomly thought about that yesterday. Basically it works like this:
Server calculates world and offscreen events and gives players notifications if something enters their world from outside (invaders, merchants, etc) and gets notified from events that happen in the fortresses when someone leaves (their stories being able to travel around that way). Would make a cool multi-player world where people can compete on who can build the best stuff/have the most people/etc

>finally, almost 5 years since the artifact war hammer, one of my 20 weaponsmiths is taken by a mood and claims the magma forge
>forbid half of my fortress to provide the finest materials
>steel bars, gold blocks, yellow diamonds, most precious leathers, bones of the fallen enemies
>shit's going to be amazing
>dorf doesn't move
>why doesn't he move
>check stocks for 10 minutes to see if everything is right
>it is
>is this some bug
>goblin plot
>enemy stand
>finally, realization
>fuck no
>check this fucker's preferences
>FUCK
>unforbid pig iron
>that fucking steel-hating quadruple elf dives into a stockpile like a kea seeing a platinum minecart
>pulls out a big, thick pig iron bar with his resin-covered fingers
>crowd of dorfs watches in terror as this sick fuck drags his filthy rod, passing by the mountains of steel so fine, scholars in the Mountainhome wrote an erotic novel about it, with two spin-offs and anime adaptation
>finally that goblin in the dwarf skin reaches the forge that has never been touched by anything but pure steel
>dead silence, as onlookers are petrified by the premonition of horrors they're about to witness
>licking his lips, the iron pig slowly slides his dirty thing onto the anvil
>scraped metal lets out a single cry of agony and despair as the rod violates and defiles the surface
>legendary weaponsmith duchess faints seeing this sacrilege
>dwarven child drops his lead toy boat and starts crying, streams of tears run into his beard
>witnesses can't take it anymore
>half-digested +quarry bush roasts+ start flying everywhere, turning quartzite floors into olivine
>nearby caravan wagons implode
>cats untoggle
>rock nuts activate
>dehydrated dorfs lower themselves to half-tree
>amidst the chaos stands he, the iron invader, ferric fiend and carbon criminal, the primeval pig freed form the shackles of steel, bringing forth the unrefined revolution

saved

What did he make?

capped

removed my mouse from the pic