Why do so few people ride motorcycles stateside?

All I ever see are Harley/BMW type riders that actually are on the road and they all look older.

Maybe the younger generation are broke and don’t have money. Or the dedication/inclination to adapt their lifestyle around a motorcycle. I haven’t seen too many sportbike riders that commute on a daily basis unless you count in Southern California.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sSrzwB1DVFs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Have to get a special license
>Espensive
>Gear is expensive
>Overall lifestyle shift
>Toy
Nigga the majority of people cann't even afford to live, let alone have expensive hobbies.

But the most common thing among young people is to get 20” wheels with negative camber have it scraping the ground and call it “stance” and put a line of stickers along their windows, have a vape and call themselves “car bros”

it's pussification, younger generation is more interested and computer games and smartphones. Cars, motorcycles are out of favour.

I've literally never seen a stanced car in my life.

GF would dump me outright if I bought a motorcycle. The sex is too good, so I'm not gonna get a bike for some time.

It’s probably a California thing. You won’t notice it in other places. You see a lot pf them here. The first thing they have to put is blue HID lights in standard halogen reflectors and yellow foglights.

Aftermarket exhaust is mandatory to give more horsepower for their 1.6 liter something.

You’ll still see plenty of Mustangs, Chargers, Camaros, Corvettes. But those cars itself are too common and not so much in the same league as someone knowing how to ride a motorcycle. I’ve never really seen anyone on big liter bikes. I do see the occasional people on 600s and 250s, but I haven’t casually seen anyone riding around on Hayabusa for example.

The bright side is that motorcycle dealerships are eager to make a sell since it’s so low volume and they’re even sitting on 2014/2015 inventory with no miles.

Someone actually thinks this looks good...
why..

youtube.com/watch?v=sSrzwB1DVFs

>it’s so low volume and they’re even sitting on 2014/2015 inventory with no miles.
Is that for real?

Yeah my local dealer is sitting on a 2015 ZX-14R but they’re asking too much for it, so I’m still looking around for a better price.

is it tasteless to like appropriate flares and slight camber?

Boston motorcycle rider/commuter here. You do see some of that around here but the majority is older riders and Harley’s. Especially on weekends when it’s nice. Once the temp drops it’s not uncommon for me to be the only one on the road. Have seen the occasional middle aged guy ride by in the 40s and it’s kind of unexpected to see

because their mommies won't even let them use them on even a 50cc because they're too dangerous

They all died

>le youth today is poor and shitty xD
You read that on Facebook, gramps? Also
>all I ever see are Harley/BMW riders
Harley and BMW riders ride on Saturdays only, and only if the temperature is between 70 and 78

You have to leave town and go out to the fun roads to find actual riders. Of course people in town are going to be posers, squids, faggots like , and old people.

I live in Iowa and I have seen it a couple of times, very rare.

I them really want a bike but the issue I have is I can't justify spending 2000$ on a bike, 2000$ on gear, and still have to keep one of my two cars to drive in the rain and snow (unless I bought one of those meme taxes BMW off roaders). All of this to have something that's really only good for highway pulls performance wise. Yeah I get that they're fun in back roads still, but on backroads the roads are shit and you'll have a hard time keeping up with my rx7 anyway.
What go through all the hassle? I'll get a bike someday but not rn

I used to commute on one, so did brother in law, in our 30s. We both stopped after a few years. He lived in Seattle and used the HOV lanes. I just wanted something more interesting in MI.
There’s little advantages. He found hov didn’t save him time. Both of us got sick of getting stuck in rain. Drivers are inattentive. I moved to S FL and got sick of heat, straight roads, crazy drivers. We both have families... no point in getting lolled on road. We both sold our bikes since, and I’ll likely never own another.

Not that poster but, I like this z.Dig the wide stance. Personally, I'd like fenders to match and black wheels, maybe more silver? You like what you like though :) Oh and bit smaller wheels.

Or maybe it's just inconvienent considering the long distances in the US even within metro areas, unnecessary because the roads are large enough for any kind of four wheeler, boring because the majority of roads are straight or only gently bent, and dangerous because the average American driver is a mouth breathing moron.

Because it's winter you dummy
People ride this time of year in Florida though

Because California, as much as everyone loves to hate it, is the only state that allows lanesplitting. No point in owning a motorcycle anywhere else.

>2000$ on gear
That's unnecessary, 500$ should be enough to get decent gear if you know where to look (used and leftover new gear)

Nah, stance fags are accepted here unfortunately in Britshit Columbia.

Is your life traffic? Is that all you do and live for?

>le ur not a TRUE Scotsman
I put on more miles last year than you have total

I dailyd an R6 for two years. After I paid it off I bought a truck.

Life is so much easier since I don't have to plan my life around no storage/no extra seats.

It can't be a primary vehicle because half the country is white man's land and it freezes over and snows here. Fuck, in some places, it gets so cold even when it's dry that you're just asking to lose traction when every motorcycle tire ever made is a summer tire that only works at temp or an off-road tire that's best used off pavement. And then where you probably could bike year round, it gets too hot to wear any protective gear, as if breaking your bones when you crash weren't bad enough.

On top of that, the cargo and passenger capacity of most motorcycles makes tiny jap sportscars look like wagons. Say, how do you carry a pizza on a bike? Well, first, we hope you have one of those handy universal luggage racks (just a flat plane of steel tubing, rarely made for sportbikes). Then, we hope you brought bungee cords. Last, god save you if it isn't already in a box.

Nobody who rides a bike in the US is too poor for two vehicles. Most people in the US are too poor for two vehicles. And since bikes demand more maintenance since it's life and death instead of life and life with the occasional tire slip or occasional weave on the highway, pretend it's two vehicles or a BMW. Yes, a bike will cost you BMW money to own unless you're big into DIY. Take the front end off to do fork seals and steering head bearings DIY. The work is normally much more intimidating than anything you might do on a car, what with the keeping the bike off the ground part and all. Also, top end engine work is standard bike ownership. Solid shim-under-bucket lifters are common as dirt.

Be antisocial (no friends) and disciplined (no unexpected purchases) and it gets easier.

Fuck off grampa.

yeah but twisties suck

if you crash you run into a cliff or fall off of a cliff
there's someone crossing the line every other corner...besides you
dragging knee around that sweeper? well, you're coming up on a corvette that's doing 15mph while the driver enjoys the view. better straighten up.
roads are too narrow for good lines
gravel, diesel, horse shit, bicyclists, grass clippings, and potholes around random corners
a speeding ticket for going over the 20-30mph limits on those roads is very high and will probably BTFO your license, and local cops most likely know the area better than you do if the twisties aren't already near your home

just do a track day

$200 for more hard riding than you could cram into several weeks of hitting the twisties and the only frustration coming from you being disappointed in yourself for not being the fastest guy around the track

>most common thing among young people

There's more to the country than fucking California and Florida. Most young people have normal cars because it gets them to their job and almost everyone can drive, at least according to their DL.

In Europe (yes, Amerikanski's aren't the only beings in the world), the license proceedments are convoluted as fuck (because "bikes are dangerous!!!"), which makes teenagers (16yo) ride shit 125cc bikes for 2 years which will kill any potential enjoyment out of riding a bike and also makes riding on highways even more suicide than it is on normal bikes.
After 2 years, they get a HP/Weight limitation, then they have to wait 2 more years IIRC to ride unrestricted. I'm all for safety, but ruining the purpose of bikes (REALLY cheap compared to cars, fun, commute) which mainly appeal to teenagers (next generation of bikers, etc), and ruining the 3 of them (125cc lie around the same price range as 250cc, fun is vastly limited and gets quickly boring, and commute becomes progressively more dangerous as you start getting your foot in the door) makes riding extremely rare in Europe, with the only relevant audience that uses bikes being people on a middle age crisis.

eurofag here. most quit after scooters, and the rare ones who don't usually hop on a 600 then a 1000

bitch detected

most people are terrified of getting hurt on a bike

The s30 had an uptrim factory model called the ZG that came stock with overfenders... so in a way this is how the car was meant to be.

Massfag, 20-something cruiserfag here. Other than my motorcycle friends, the only people I see riding are boomers on Harley’s or BMWs, and spics/niggers wheelieing on dirt bikes or beat 600 sport bikes.
I ride march-November/December, basically pretty much any time there isn’t salt on the roads. Back in college I rode a 50cc scooter in all weather like the poorfag I was because I couldn’t afford a car and public transport a shit here. I’m still a poorfag, but I have 3 cars and a bike now.

The thing with this is that 95% of motorcycle riders I know do all their own maintainance, myself included. Having your bike apart for 2-3 days while working on something is a pain, but it’s rare (in America at least) for the motorcycle to be their only way to get around.

Because stateside it's viewed as this extremely dangerous thing only done by squids in gixxers. Don't get me wrong it can be dangerous but it's really not that bad riding stateside.

>Tfw got car license years ago
>Never bought a car (hell never had money to do so)
>Do CBT taster course on 50cc scoot
>Do CBT on 50cc scoot
>Scrimped and saved to buy 110cc scoot, stolen after three months
>Scrimped and saved again to buy 125cc scoot
>Part ex'd scoot to buy 125cc cruiser
Biking is fun yo, feelsbad that I've done the CBT like three times because I'm such a poorfag I haven't been able to afford a direct access course. Holy shit I want to get off the 125cc so bad, last instructor I went out with literally said why the fuck haven't you done your license yet and we didn't even both training... just kinda rode around the city instead.

I like the look, but what's w/ the bandanna?
Is she chola, or just wanted?

USA here. I frankly think the EU system makes a lot more sense than unrestricted US one, but probably could use a revisit in time in grade.

at least in merica your bike laws arent retarded.
in england seeing a real motorbike thats not a 125 or a ped is rare.

seeing a genuine supersport is like seeing a hypercar, and costs about as much in insurance and licenses too

>easier to park
not an issue here
>easier and less costly to maintain than normal vehicles
what a lie
>have to become a leather daddy or a gear queer
neither of these looks are good ones

>only vehicle is a motorcycle
I know a guy who does this, but he works for some nonprofit hippie freelove bullshit and constantly uses the work truck
>bonus points:
he has three motorcycles
and no motorcycle jack
only one motorcycle works
when one breaks he just buys another
>final form:
he can't drive stick

i do
cos it attracts attention and young people want attention

my favorite thing about britbong law is that you go from 125 for most of your life, then maybe up to a 250 if its under powered, then once youve mastered a mighty 40hp your now ready to get on a zx10 with 200hp assuming you can afford it.

and they say these laws are for "safety"

also having to wait till 23 / 24 to get on anything faster than a stock miata is bullshit, bike companys make their bikes in tiers of 50/125/250or300/600/1000 for a reason but in england its 125 for 8 years and then unlimited.
its retarded, 250s and 300s are useless here, nobody buys 600s because they would rather spend that bit extra to get a cheap 1000 which they have no idea how to handle.

rant over

>125 for most of your life
>125 for 8 years
bikers really are organ donors huh

this combined with how dangerous it has become with all the distracted driving

Well if you go straight from a 125 straight to a 1000+, yeah.

Riding is getting more dangerous every year. Dumb ass burgers on Facebook, or texting while driving makes riding 2 wheels a death sentence. Valentino Rossi won't even ride on the streets. Although I miss 2008 GSX-R 600. Probably get a Ducati in a year.

I paid cash for my last bike. This shit aint hard nigga.

It is just a toy though

Can't afford a Lamborghini or Bugatti but I can afford this.

>heated seat comes standard

It is insanely expensive

it would actually be more expensive for me to get into motorcycles then for me to buy my car

>bike+gear+insurance+licensing

vs.

>licensing+car+insurance

Radically cheaper, and that's not even factoring in learning time and the fact that I have to ride in more than just my city.

I really want to do motorcycles but man I just cant justify it to myself

also i'm in south florida so I'd probably just die

What a cuck fag you are . Not even married or withnkids and she decides your life. You openly admit to this like i should be impressed with how much you value access to pussy.

Fuckin faggot

Moronic

You can still have fun riding within limits for the road. There is always some risk but luckily as humans we have working brains that allow us to modify our behaviour based on risk assesment.

Im glad a faggot like you doesnt ride.

Lol

Who the fuck buys a bike to commute on and doesnt also rip the best roads in area on days off? What the fuck, how the fuck cant you save time on bikes? You and ur fsggot relation are both, well fags

You're fucking annoying.

bike+gear can be had for under $3k and motorcycle insurance is significantly cheaper than car insurance

but what about having to move shit and take all my clothes+laptop with me

considering the average (lack) of skill of most drivers, you could be the most perfect bike rider but some dumb stacy on her cell phone could carelessly plow into you from her blind spot and you'll be a pretty pavement art piece.

so yeah, I value my life too much right now. Maybe when I'm old and still single.

We like where we live and don't want to die.(we are also smart enough to understand statistics)

This is why you just go fast so you're never around anyone for long.

It's becase we (the US) have money.

India: I am now successful and own a motorcycle
China: I know someone who is successful and owns a motorcycle
United States: YOLO!!!!!!

It's cheap. Ur just poor

In the first world, if you ride a motorcycle you live in Italy, or you are some sort of marginal counter-culture freak.

Just noticed these two charts are giving us the finger

Rule 6

It's an expensive hobby I want to get into. Unfortunately I just don't think it'd be extremely enjoyable where I live.
>Deer
>Vermin
>Extremely shit roads, thanks rural Michigan
>Distracted drivers
>Snow
>Lane splitting is illegal
>Agricultural machines that don't adhere to road laws whatsoever; unsecure loads (wet manure), blow stop signs, turn randomly, no road tax so they just annihilate roadways

Used to ride my mates Ninja 250, illegally, when he lived up here. Always had a good time. I think I'd go with a dual sport if I was to buy a bike. A lot of forest land to see around here.

Neither have I. Lowered, but never stanced.

I paid cash for all four of my cars. This shit ain't hard nigga.

Two of those are just uninsured & unregistered toys though.
>ORV sticker on the 4x4
>One is a dedicated track car

Cool story. I paid cash for all my vehicles. You want a cookie for being a functioning adult?

can you even feel heat going 160mph on a motorcycle

I am also needlessly confrontational to prove my adulthood.

If you think bikes are expensive I dont think ur an adult.

Boats are expensive, bikes are cheap

Bust out another thousand.

The trick is do the work yourself.
Life hacks nigga

I ride my motorcycle to school and wherever I can all year long. I do live in a fair weather state.
Riding is so much more enjoyable for me that I try to whenever I can.
Motorcycling is relatively cheap to get into. With about 3 grand you could have a bike, gear, and license.
The biggest reasons not to ride are the shitty drivers, weather, or no desire.

>buy a car
>drop tens of thousands of dollars in upgrades
>buy a 5k liter bike that's faster than 97% of the cars on the road

Absolutely horseshit. 95% of young people don't give a single fiddly ass fuck about cars. Out of that remaining 5%, 3% of them go "Oh cool, a nice new mustang! I wish I had a newer car that didn't break down so often."

The other 2% actually give some semblance of a shit about cars, and 90% of that 2% is ricers.

The remaining percentage is actual car enthusiasts.

98% of young people barely want to own a car, let alone waste money on a toy like a motorcycle.

>hard time keeping up with my rx7

I'm mainly a rider so haven't been in any crazy fast cars but bikes easily do 0-60 in under 5secs, hell the pig fat BMW f800 does it in 4 for example. Speed is the main reason bikes are so awesome, sure if you don't wanna get a toy then don't but bikes accelerate faster and handle better even on rough roads. The only real arguments against owning a bike is money or being a pussy

It's a number of things.
>The common folk think all bikes are expensive.
>Even if they don't, they still think insurance is expensive.
>Requires knowing how to ride, how to use a manual clutch. Not something many Americans know.
>If they aren't a squid, they think gear is stupid expensive.
>No protection from the elements.
>Actually requires attention so you don't become a red smear on the road.
>Even if you are paying attention and have good gear, you could still get wiped out by a semi just going down the freeway.
>Most of America is large roads with lots of fast moving vehicles, not packed city streets were Lane splitting would be advantageous.
>Half the people think you have to be in a gang to ride and the other half thinks you have hoon.

Most people are conditioned from their childhood to distrust motorcycles and their riders here.
People just don't realize that you can get all your gear and a bike for like 2 grand and ride it around town. Sucks but what can you do besides ride and talk to non riders about them. Just ride everywhere you can, get people interested. I'd love to see more bikers cause it'd mean more legislation for us and maybe, just maybe, drivers would be a little more likely to pay attention to their surroundings.

I just started riding and my bike and gear and insurance all cost under 3k. And they aren't shit tier either. Shit my insurance on my bike is cheaper than it ever was on my car.

And this is why I'm still far away from getting one. Everyone around me does not like my idea of getting a motorcycle. Now it will take me maybe a year just to save enough for a ninja 250

I get wanting to hold off cause of family but you could easily get a used ninja 250 for like 1k and it probably would be in decent condition too. I was able to get my ex500 for like $1400 and it's not even that old.

Oh no, I meant I really want one, but as poorfag, I can't afford one yet. Where did you get one around a grand? I looked at Craigslist and most of them asks for more than 2k even for the older ninja 250.

>buy a 5k liter bike that's faster than 97% of the cars on the road
>hit moron in shitbox who pulled out without looking
>die

Oh m8 high compression engines produce so goddamn much heat it's off the charts. In the case of duc's 1198 and 1299, the subframe (where the seat is) is holted onto the rear cilinder head. In motoGP the heat is so bad the fairing has holes and channels to direct air to the clipon handles because those too get extremely hot. Some riders have said valencia was the worst race purely based on "slow" corning and not much straight line speed

Yes.

Can't text while biking, and they're an acquired taste.
Personally, I ride because it's fun as fuck.
> Loved bikes as a kid
> Went out with dad on some weekends on the back of his sports tourer
> Grew up, got car
> Friend gets me turned onto bikes again
> Look into it, CBT is fairly cheap.
> Do CBT, fall in love with biking
> Save, buy gear and bike
> Ride 125cc bike for a year
> Get full license after basically teaching myself to ride
> Save some more
> Buy 650cc sports bike
> Fall in love all over again

> Can't justify bike + gear
> Can somehow justify two cars

> 125cc bikes aren't fun
Found the nobike.

Scared pussies.
My co-workers are shocked I ride my bike daily, through the rain and cold. They all think that's dangerous.
On the way to work I only see old dudes on adv bikes.

You are a child. You do not have the right to buy a litrebike and kill yourself against a truck. Insurance is expensive enough without children on superbikes.
Learn to fucking ride a 125 first.

Also, that.
> New sports car for 30k+
> New sports bike for 7k

I can feel my heated grips at speed, and the engine heats up enough to shed steam in the rain.

> America has more cars than India has people
Now I want to see the stats for firearms by population, and compare the two.

>tfw waifu sitting on your baiku
>hnnnnnnnnnnnng

Looks like whatever is on the roof is waaaay too heavy for the poor car

I swear these eurocucks in their tiny cars with their ridiculous regulations are so jealous they spew all sorts of negative bullshit. We are happy with our 400hp v8 thank you

California is so perfect for motorcycles I can't understand why anyone would own a car.

Rest of the country you're fighting the weather much of the year.

>California is so perfect for motorcycles
Except
>no lane splitting

>>no lane splitting

Has something changed? Lane splitting is supposed to be legal there.

Because they'll get turned into bloody paste after they get sideswiped by a distracted soccer mom in a Chevy Suburban.

But you can do A2 straight at 18 right?(At least here in Israel)

>But you can do A2 straight at 18 right?(At least here in Israel)
Here A2 is at 21.

Motorcycle now can be even safer with air Bag vest.
There is also jackets but I think the vest is the best for days you want to right with T-shirt, vest and elbow guards.