> How into .webm
OBS: obsproject.com
Webm for retards: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
crowdforge.io/jams
twitter.com/panstasz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw have the assets, have the design, I know what I need to do, I can actually do it. but I lack the willpower

I know it's not unique it just really sucks. Why will I have the will power to spend hours upon hours on bullshit, but when I have the right plan there's no desire to execute it?

Thanks for making the real thread.
Let's see some progress!

I spent all night on the same thing and made basically no progress. I feel like shit now.

these things happen, take a break and come back to it later

It happens. That's what makes the good nights all the sweeter. Was it code related?

which is the new thread?
omg

I spent way too long (like 2 days) modeling and rigging a first draft of the character for my game.

But whatever, I got it done. Gonna make some key poses to block shit out better.
Also just feels nicer to use a real character instead of a capsule/box even when greyboxing everything else.

How do you learn to program?

Before starting to program, always make sure that you're wearing your programming socks.

>wearing women's socks
lad, it's like they say
>behind every great man is a woman
>behind her is another man
you don't want to be getting it up the rear now, don't you?

quick rundown on the gogem/sidalpha situation? links/screenshots?

stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

lel dumb cunt check aseprite

is this going to be our proper thread?

Active participation. The idiot would do exactly what codecademy or whatever instructs them to do, while the erudite programmer would be pausing at each lesson, and experimenting with their new knowledge on some toy calculator/calendar/bullshit thing. Like you start with a program that tells you what 2+3 is, next you have it ask you what numbers to add, then next have it ask what numbers/operation to use with checking against div by 0, next you have it ask if you want to calculate something or check the date, etc.
This is the proper way to "take notes" on what you learn in programming

not going to the other one

is anyone in this thread looking for an artist?

Are you an artist?

Is there any site dedicated to assembling teams to make games?

If not, would it work if existed?

Yes, do you have a game?

Yes. Do you have art?

crowdforge.io/jams
How's this one look to you?

TCP connection failure, ask again in 10 seconds

I do. Let's talk about your game first.

Okay. It uses buttons to control.

fucking awesome I guess

does the leader of the team need to approve new members before they join?

I'm about to venture into a pet project anyone have any pointers.

The basic concept is League of Legends converted into 1v1 grid turn based combat. Think of a PvP Fire Emblem. Anyone got any suggestions before I start chugging along?

This is not enough. I need to know more. You know what I need.

Okay. It was made using a language.

>using a language
Dropped.

these were posted last thread and i didnt see them till thread was dead but

it wasnt just animation; since I had to do animation AND modelling I had no time to do anything else and I was extremely pressured to put out animations for characters while i was modelling other ones which put almost all of the artistic workload on myself

when i realized we needed ~1000 frames of animation per character and at least one character fully complete just for a substantial presentable prototype, I wasn't up to the task.

the new project gives me much more artistic freedom and leniency and I can focus more on modelling while I produce animations that can be reused as placeholder for every developed character.

it's also much more difficult to make a competent fighting game as an indie project considering the standards.

this isnt an issue of me hopping genres and giving up easily, it was just that we picked the wrong genre to start with

guy who makes cynical videogame conspiracy theory videos for bait purposes took my marketing bait and exaggerated and lied about it until it was hillary clinton pedophile ring tier bait
also he's got no bars

Anyoe looking for an artist?

Have some late night progress. Got the basics of a shield working. The way it works is a shield hitbox hovers over the character holding the shield (being this weird looking guy currently.) The weapon first checks to see if it touched a shield. If it did, it adds the owner of the shield to the do not damage list (usually reserved for enemies already hit by this particular attack). If it doesn't touch a shield, then it checks to see if it hit an enemy like normal. Because of this, attacks at the correct angle and with the right hit box can bypass shields. Different attacks might use different hitboxes to detect shields though. For example, a spear, despite the fact that its only damaging portion is the tip, would use a full body hitbox for the shield to ensure it doesn't mystically pass through the shield to damage the enemy when stabbing. However, something like this scythe might use a blade only hitbox for shields, because it could have an attack which intentionally moves behind the target and yanks into their back, and so if the staff part of the scythe is touching the shield, we want this attack to still hit. I'm unsure how to handle shield hit animations or things like that at the moment. For now I'm assuming if an attack hits a shield, it's not interrupted, though this may change depending on the shield, weapon, and attack in the future.

I want to make friends with those crawlers on the left

They want to make you dead.

:(
maybe nobody has ever shown them kindness

Post more progress

no.

Daily reminder if you are usimg a game engine your game is already shit and no where near unique enough to become anything of value.

Genuine question, how do you display your game? I've only ever done GUI stuff in java swing but I feel like drawing shapes through a swing canvas is kind of dumb - is it?

Your first mistake was using Java

opengl

Made some tiles last night, but they are shitty, so I'm redoing them this afternoon.

GUYS QUICK

GIVE ME AN IDEA FOR AN AR (Augmented Reality) MOBILE GAME

pokemon go but with anime waifus instead of pokemon

Use those neural network image recognition things to make a scavenger hunt game, the app tells the player to find several random objects and he has to point at them with the phone's camera to let the app recognize it.
I guess it's not really AR but AR sucks anyway.

Great, need more ideas before I prototype them

>AR sucks anyway
Apple made that Arkit available for devs which is why I ask. It's actually better than Vuforia and costs less than wikitude; not to forget it implements slam tech so the characters are actually on a surface (unlike Pokemon go where it just superimposes the model in air over the camera in an overlay and doesn't constitute as actual AR)

How would you make an acceleration/deceleration system in 3D based on the player's input?
The different axis and signed numbers are fucking me up.

thanks, anons.

Damn it, which on is the real thread!

>bumping this thread that was about to die anyway
kys

Hey It's not my fault someone made two threads and people where posting in both.

Getting the hang of it more.

Not sure if you know, but this is the proper thread.

>when i realized we needed ~1000 frames of animation per character

Do you really, though? I would have thought that it would be a no brainer for an indie team to approach something like that from a virtua fighter 1 PSX artstyle.
Appeal to people's nostalgia while also keeping it manageable enough to have a decent roster of characters.

Read a textbook.
200 pages in you'll know your shit enough to get the rest pretty easily.

What exactly are you trying to emulate?

Make trash.
Write lots of trash code that does one neat thing you couldn't do before. It doesn't matter how simple the task is, even if it's just asking the user for some sort of number and spitting it back at them through console. Coding is like art in that the worst approach is to care a lot about making something good rather than just producing volume at the beginning. Start with python so you don't have to worry about too much syntax, then move to c++.

>following a tutorial
>constant fuck ups
>but it's okay because I am learning at an observable pace
But a little while ago
>write code
>it's not working for some reason
>why the fuck is it not working
>been trying to figure out what is wrong
>losing my shit
>slamming keyboard
>pulling hair
>trying to figure out what the fuck is wrong
>change function to another, similar function and suddenly it works as intended
>NO! The tutorial says to it this way, so I will do it the way the tutorial said
>[rage intensifies]
>ctrl + z
>...wait
>oh no
>are you fucking kidding me?
I forgot the fucking brackets
In such a way where it won't return an error or crash the program
So this is how bugs in professional programs happen. Suddenly I have a lot more respect for Bethesda.

Sorry for blogging, but I had to vent. Doing the python roguelike tutorial on roguebasin if anyone is wondering.

>people still don't get that this is the thread supposed to have died hours ago

I want to make a game(roguelike) in Common LISP. Which Implementation will handle it best? Is there CURSES for LISP?

Does anybody know how can I fix my ground in UE4, when I add a world displacement to it? The individual polygons kinda separate from each other and I can see the gap between them, so they look like they float in the air.

So I guess we're using this one for the new thread?

STOP BUMPING THE WRONG THREAD REEEEEE

oh nvm the other one is already past dumb limit

if u post here u r gay

if u post dere u r dum

>tfw you finally have a breakthrough in pathfinding and even the bugs will make for entertaining gameplay
I'm gonna make it bros

Hey guys how much should I sell for the building in this picture?

Why are you trying to make discount Wind Waker

I know pixelart comissions are a decent source of income while you work on your game. But is there also a market for lowpoly comissions? Does anyone here have personal experience with lowpoly comissions? If so, can you answer a few questions:
What did your portfolio look like when you started?
What does it look like now?
How much do you charge per model?
Do you also animate and rig?
Is it your sole source of income and are you being supported in other ways (free rent etc).
Where do you market yourself?
Do you feel like you have enough time to work on your game?

>Max Hancock
Damn, i need to step up my alias game.

>this attempt to just like make game is going to fail AGAIN because no content skills

I think my only hope at this point is to wave the scripting interface around like a piece of bait and hope someone bites.

the number 1095189575 in binary is 01000001010001110100010001000111

which is a 32bit integer with the 4 bytes representing the characters "AGDG" in ascii

use this number on your game, user

He could have easily left out the hand drawing over the models for later and just animated the model itself. Make a working prototype of a single character able to fight against itself and leave all the extra fluff for after it actually feels good. Big problem with indie is they prioritize the wrong fucking thing a lot of the time. Juice and presentation is important but make the fucking thing work first

Last couple days I worked on uploading/downloading mods to my game. It was a horrible experience. Working with php and mysql makes me feel dirty.

Not completed yet, it needs a search function and ability to remove mods. But currently the player can upload mods to my php server and other players are able to download it.

repostan

That's really neat

MAYBE I WILL

because that's neat and AGDG inspires me to make game every week

I love AGDG. Both nodev and devcucks alike. Without AGDG I don't think I'd have the energy to finish anything.

I can't follow what is happening. Looks cool though

I'll use it as the seed for my rng.

No. I'm not including any AGDG logos either.

project name? tumblr?

asking again in a fresh thread.
How do I make my animations smoother when using IKs ?
I've tried both adding more keyframes and messing around with the curves and neither helped me get decent results.

...?

WORLD OF HORROR
twitter.com/panstasz

It is a shame that such art is wasted in a game with horrible gameplay

pay me and I'll do art for your much better project

Mostly just trying shit out at the moment, currently thinking something similar to Hammerwatch though. which is where most of my sprites are ripped from atm

I want a little advice. I'm working on a third person shooter-style game and while I have super basic movement working (8-way run and locked on strafing) I'm planning on including a cover-system.

The problem is I'm a complete novice to getting objects to interact (I'm not even sure my camera controller and character controllers are currently interacting at all, or if they're just working together blindly) and I'm not sure how to implement checks on terrain (I haven't been able to get jumping to work correctly either because I haven't been able to get the character controller to recognize if it's on the ground or in the air).

How would I go about implementing zones for snap-to cover? Would it be better to set them up as part of the terrain or make wall assets have attached to them various snap-to points I can tweak later based on placement?

Just finished tweaking screen scrolling and enemy spawners for my game. You can see that enemies become inactive when the player moves to a new room/area, and any bullets get destroyed. Super simple stuff but you gotta start somewhere.

fuck blueprints.

Ice cold.

It's hard to say because I don't know what you're working in and what it is exactly that you want but I would guess that making some trigger volumes or something attached to your cover would be a good start. You need something in place to check if players are in a position that constitutes cover.

It's really neat so far, user. And you've gotta start somewhere so don't worry about spoilering your crimes

>pay me
hold up senpai. the art isn't THAT good

The 'hand placed vs automatic detection' thing is something that comes up in a lot of games, really you're the only that knows which will be best.
Hand placing triggers seems easier to begin with, but the more areas which need it, the more work it becomes, and the more likely you are to miss an area where the player feels they should be able to take cover but can't.

I went to a speech by the Dying Light devs who said their initial prototypes had trigger boxes for every single ledge/object to tell the character which types of actions should be performed, then they scrapped it all for automatic detection.
When I was doing a similar first person parkour thing I decide from the start to do automatic detection because there was no way in hell I'd be able to manually mark every edge to grab.