Fun cars under 20k

Hey Veeky Forums, getting rid of my 04 STI this weekend for 16k. Now that she'll be gone soon I'm in the market for another car and I've been scouring craigslist for the past few days looking for something fast, fun and under 20k. Enlighten me on some good recommendations.

Pic would be my choice

would be my choice, as I'm currently discussing how the hell I could afford it

135i

second gen?

That was one car I was looking at actually. Also considering a C5 but a GTO is definitely more practical.
Found a few pretty good looking 996's in my area but kind of iffy on European cars. Don't know enough about them other than how everyone says they're expensive to maintain.
What do you mean?

What didn't and did you like about the STI? Was it stock?

I'm looking at either a Evo VIII or a GD STi with a built motor for a $12-15k Turbo AWD Track Car. Will keep stockish power levels (300-330whp) for reliability and fun.

I still don't understand how STi's don't depreciate. Who the hell buys a 14 year old car that is known for being beat on for $16k. Good job on the sale though.

Because its 80% the same car as the one sold in 2017 at the dealership for 50% off. Even in performance they're still extremely close, put the same tires on a 2005-07 and a 2017-18 and the time difference will be a 1-2 seconds apart at most.

Plus EJs blow up even when they're brand new, so half of them have newer motors anyways.

That's true. Subaru needs to beef up the FA and put it in the STi. The newer WRXs are total beasts with way better fuel economy and a much faster spooling turbo

Any problems with the car OP? Does it consume alot of oil?

If you just want to go fast in a straight line you could get a decent Mustang GT for that price. Manuals are still somewhat easy to find in Mustangs.

He'd be better off upgrading the STI

Was stock with an aluminum radiator when I bought it. Previous owner rebuilt the motor. Only thing I did was throw on a K&N intake because +5 hp :^) I actually loved the car for the short time I was able to drive it, got stationed in Korea and I'm trying to change things up before I get back in 2 months.
Car was actually pretty sounds for the most part. Had to replace a halfshaft and the steering rack but I only paid 14500 for it so I'm getting my money back.
That's definitely the most obvious choice, and I don't find them bad looking, but I am looking for something that is decent in the corners.

You can get a nice E46 M3 or E39 M5 with money to spare

Would this be your dd? If not then i suggest a fox Body Mustang. If so then an 11-14 Mustang GT.

Just upgrade the sti

Yep, looking for something that fills both roles. I liked how practical the Subie was being a 4 door and having plenty of trunk space but I'm not really too worried about that.
y tho

Because it seems to be in top shape, you'll lose more money selling and buying another car with problems

I've definitely considered that actually. Only reason I got rid of my last car was because of an accident and I do like the Subie.

You want a car for corners you have the perfect platform just build on it, you got it for a steal with rebuilt engine. How long have you had it and how many miles?

P71

This