EJ a shit

carcomplaints.com/news/2017/subaru-wrx-engine-knock-spun-bearing-lawsuit.shtml

well?

tl:dr metal shavings from certain engines are getting into the oil and causing premature "catastrophic engine failure"

TL;DR
>retarded vapelord doesn't change his oil
>oil degrades and gets dirty
>spun rod bearings
>IZ SUBARU FAULT DEY MAED BAD KAR

>only 13-14 models affected

do you think that a tune could possibly have a hand in this? i know you can't expect to do a stage tune to a car and keep the same reliability

Does this mean the WRXs effected will take a nosedive in value on the used market? can't wait to snag one up at a cheap price engine grenade be damned. i'll look cool as shit for the first couple hundred miles till the engine implodes.

Not impossible, but lack of consistent oil changes/ letting it run out of oil is far more likely. What people like this guy don't know before buying is that EJ engines, specifically turbo EJs, respond very poorly to neglect. I wouldn't be surprised if he hooned the car around on a cold engine and didn't let it cool down after running it hard as well.

No, WRXs hold value very well for obvious reasons. Also, there's nothing for them to be affected by because the guy's bullshitting.

Only if it gets an official recall.
Metal shavings... aren't subie engines like 10 year old or something, they would've noticed that at testing even on the new wrx engines.
This sounds like a faggot vapelord with a lot of cash beating, overheating, and never changing his oil.

EJ25s are shit, how is this news?

doesn't seem to affect any other EJ25 or the FA20 which is weird but ok

>Does this mean the WRXs effected will take a nosedive in value on the used market?
probably

They probably wouldn't make a gigantic class action lawsuit if they didn't have good evidence of this happening

Just read the article, this guy paid the $3k for an engine replacement and took his car back.
>Why did he pay and then make the lawsuit?
Why didn't subaru test his oil?
There was that guy who got warranty denied on his m3 for not using ll01 oil (they tested it).
This screams butthurt owner and a few lawyers capitalizing on him.

>aren't subie engines like 10 year old or something

Older. The EJ25 was first introduced back in 1996. Obviously, it's been updated continuously since then but still plenty of time to figure something like this out and fix it.

>what is a frivolous lawsuit cash grab

>>what is a frivolous lawsuit cash grab
unlikely, a law firm taking on a class action lawsuit isn't in it to scam customers paying lawyer fees. They're in it for the pay out from subaru

valid
also valid

Honestly the Head Gasket issue was far bigger and larger than this issue. However headgaskets only blew because drivers were shitters and beat the fuck out of their cars, never was there a recall or lawsuit

can you explain the headgasket issue?

But the lawsuit only alleges a small portion of the year range of the EJ25 being in the WRX- like the article says, only 13-14 models.

You'd think they would have tried to maximize the pool of the "class" to get the most money possible.

Something isn't adding up.

All cars that the owners beat on eventually blow headgaskets, the only reason anyone cares is because it's an enormous pain in the ass to change them on boxers.

Basically specific Turbocharged EJ25's on the Impreza STI's from the years of 2004 to 2007 I want to say suffered from the notorious "head gasket issue"

Head gaskets normally aren't an issue nor are they difficult to change. However because of the boxer layout, this makes replacing them difficult. Normally you never have to change them but these particular series of engines suffered the most.

Long story short, you only ever had a head gasket issue with this specific car and this specific engine when boyracers would run the fuck out of their cars, ruining their engines and they obviously weren't treating it properly

>only 13-14 models
just so we're clear is it Thirteen to Fourteen models out of the thousands built or is it from model-year 2013-2014?

Model year 2013 to 2014, sorry.

gotta be model-year 2013 to 2014. doesn't say just thirteen to fourteen models in the article.

>only 13-14 models.
This might be a very specific model. A law firm may only want to specifically attack what they know they can prove. If this isn't an explicit issue on the 2012 EJ25's then they can't magically include it if it never suffers from it to begin with.

If they maximize the pool of the class, they run the risk of not being able to prove that ALL these cars suffered from this issue. Sure they would make more money but if they can't prove it, they could lose the entire case if one year's car didn't suffer

The EJ headgasket rabbit hole goes way deeper though.

The early model (naturally aspirated, from 96 to about 2001) EJ25s blew headgaskets like clockwork, all around 100k. It was spooky accurate, no matter your maintenance schedule. Some would go at 95K, some would hold out to about 110K, but pretty much all failed in that eerily narrow mileage window.

was there a recall for this?

It is known issue on various Subaru models ranging from Impreza and Legacy/outbacks to some Foresters. The gaskets crap out due to overheating. Legacy/Outbacks were definitely affected by this, especially the late 90s to early 00s models. My mom, her sister, and her friend all had Legacy/Outbacks, a 98, 00, and 01. All of them fried their gaskets, and they all drive like old ladies, so they were not banging on the engines at all.

Another known Subaru issue (mostly with the 5speed manuals) is the slipping out of 3rd gear issue. Caused by cheap synco plates wearing out.

Has more to do with piston to wall clearances, otherwise EJs spin bearings and break ringlands without much effort on stock cars.

>bullshitting

look up how many will have a newer/rebuilt engine when you try to buy one used

ringlands from too tight piston/wall clearances was a bigger issue than headgaskets on ej255/ej257s

headgasket was more on the older cars

>otherwise EJs spin bearings and break ringlands without much effort on stock cars

This is completely wrong. Stop propagating these dumb car forum memes. I beat on my cars like runaway slaves and their rod bearings and ringlands are just fine. Please notice that most of the issues that these vaping boyracer kiddies are encountering can all be caused by a lack of oil. The reason that the memes you keep spouting exist is because these dumb little boys are too beta to admit that they fucked up and ran the car out on oil. Real life example: I not too long ago purchased an '04 WRX Limited with a thrown rod which I later engine swapped. Can you guess how it happened? The kid ran the engine out of oil. How do I know this? Because debris damaged an oil gallery that would have been under pressure at the time of the incident and there was no evidence of a large oily mess anywhere in the engine bay. As I said earlier,
>EJ engines, specifically turbo EJs, respond very poorly to neglect

TL;DR Don't talk about something if you get all of your facts from Veeky Forums and maintain your fucking cars

This, but you also have to be careful if you are using the OEM recommended oil (5W30) because consistently running it hot will burn the fuck out of it. Many tuners recommend a heavier oil. The OEM recommended change interval (6000 mi) is too long IMO.

>15k no lowballers, blown engine, was planning on sti swapping but I got a kid on the way