Double clutching?

What's Veeky Forumss opinion on double clutching in a syncro tranny?

Unnecessary. It only serves to wear out the clutch faster.

how does it wear the clutch faster?
maybe the throwout bearings from increased use but if you're double clutching it should be to make smoother gear changes and thus less wear on the clutch discs

>Double clutching a syncro tranny

So basically wasting gas...

salty

don't

double clutching is for people with man-rated vehicles

No just logical, the tranny is already synchronised, double clutching in this case is absolutely pointless.

Even oldish syncros are a bit rough and sluggish desu senpai

idk man i drive a 2017 car and i always get smoother shifts if i nail the double clutch then i would with single

Because you suck at shifting

Wow, remind me to never get into a car with you the motion sickness must be unbearable

by smoother i mean i can feel the synchros slightly when i single clutch where as the gear just slips in without any friction when i dc
maybe you are the shit drivers if your definition of a smooth shift is a mere rev match

Once you get good, you realize you don't even need the clutch to shift.

A smooth shift is when you don't get a front to back jerking motion from wasted time during shifts and bad clutch release.

i don't get that either way or if i do i'm very conscious about it
i'm only talking about the stick feel

Since I blew the synchros to second and third I have to double clutch.

>driving automatic
>>driving manual
>>>double clutching manual
>>>>not using clutch at all in manual
>>>>>dual clutch sequential

You should be smoother on clutch release and make sure to ease the throttle in to make sure there's enough power to remove driveline lash and avoid engine braking.

That will make your shifts smooth.

Tell that to my 25 year old diesel truck trans with 280,000 on it in sub freezing temps before it's all warmed up.

"Hurr no just slam the gears the synchros will deal with it"

dis

I do it on downshifts so it engages faster (because you need input shaft to speed up as well, which doesn't happen if you single-clutch rev match

On upshifts its useless

I double clutch my Celica when its cold so its doesn't grind, but it is over 40 years old.

t. Can't rev match

This guy gets it

genuinely curious: how is double clutching on down shifts different than single-clutch rev math?

synchros. DO NOT NEED double clutching, by doing that wrecks the synchros and will void your warranty.
only time you double clucth if you have a eaton non synchro box like on some trucks and you could get away with double clutch on a badly worn box that hesitates to shift with single clutch movement.

but do not double clutch a synchro box its that simple....premature wear will occur if this is done.

only crash boxes aka (non-synchro) needs double clutching.

idk man I get smooth shifts when I don't use the clutch at all.

>Anons don't double clutch

That only applies to unsynchronised gearboxes, i.e. trucks.

thats right.only non synchro boxes need double clutch some people dont use the clutch at all they float the gears.

Wouldn't double clutching with a synchro technically prevent some wear? If you leave it all to the synchros you're gonna feel that kick/delay as the synchro forces shit to go faster. If you do it yourself the synchro has to do less work and it'd technically be better for your car (and possibly smoother).

i dont give a fuck i just push the clutch and slam it into next gear. if something breaks ill just get it fixed.

I did it when the syncros wore out in my old Datsun, but I don’t bother in my hellcat.

what shit is this people have said clearly that double clutch will cause premature wear how fucking stupid are people.
go on wreck your crap jap shit box do us all a favor then

the answer is in his post
>you need input shaft to speed up as well, which doesn't happen if you single-clutch rev match

Has nothing to do with the clutch or gas. What he's saying is that you can feel the difference in the shifter when you double clutch perfectly. When the transmission shafts are perfectly rev matched (by double clutching) the shifter will practically fall into gear. Its a noticeable difference.

Rev matching does not do the job of the synchros, double clutching does. You can rev match perfectly but that doesnt mean shit to your synchros.

I do it.
retarded /n/ fag/autotragic driver
you're retarded
not absolutely pointless.
etc etc
itt: salty autotragic drivers and busriders sprouting memes because they're salty they ain't got two braincells to rub together to shift gears by hand

>double clutching is a technique used in a synchroless gearbox to change gears without synchros
>changing gears in a gearbox without using synchros is wearing out synchros
nigga you even think before you open your dick caress hole?

Same here, i literally cannot downshift to second and first gears without revmatching and double clutching when the tranny is cold

That's not really that interesting though. The transmission has synchros for a reason. Dogboxes are the only reason to learn double clutching.

Can't do it fast enough desu. Engine speed sometimes drops too much.
But it does make for smoother shifts

In most cases you should be able to go into gear by putting the stick back into neutral and trying again. Moves the collars/dog rings whatever you have to a new alignment

>man rated
> posts a fruitshaker crapscadia

RIP synchros. Al that wear is going straight to them

So is floating gears impossible with synchros?

Yes. Double clutch or get a dogbox.

Same, I treat synchro gearboxes like dogboxes.

I double clutch into second gear out of habbit.
It does help, even on sync trannies.
My 928 basically required it so I got into the habbit of it and it just stuck.
So when I pull up to a stop light bitches get a little wet when they hear be double clutch heel toeing.

No. I used to float gears all the time when I had a gti

Depends on your shifter i guess. If you have a really nice mechanical feeling shifter like a miata or s2000, it feels glorious when you get it right. Even on my wintermobile with a pretty vague-feeling cable shifter, i can tell when i get the double clutch perfect.

I do it for every downshift pretty much all the time. I recognize that its not necessary and probably a bit slower but it feels nice doing it right. Its such an ingrained habit now that it feels unnatural to NOT double clutch.