Can i recharge a battery(not mounted in the car) with someone else car???

Can i recharge a battery(not mounted in the car) with someone else car???

I cant get the cars together so im thinking of removing the dead battery and recharge it with a friends car

Other urls found in this thread:

d3qyiwn9eml53p.cloudfront.net/8914/7136/7357/Step-8.jpg
familyhandyman.com/automotive/how-to-test-an-alternator/view-all/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes

Take the battery out of the running car, use it to start your car, put your flat battery back in and let the alternator charge it.

This is a bad idea.

A common mistake is when people jump a bad battery with a good battery in another car, but they don't leave the good car engine running.

They are liable to start the bad car and drain the good battery too if there's an electrical issue in the bad car.

You should always leave the good car and battery running. I also throttle the good car gas to keep the alternator charging.

Also, connect negatives first and get decent fucking cables too.

In car to car you put the negative cable in some metal of the car with the dead battery, where do i put it if its just the battery, in the negative terminal of the dead battery?

This works but be fucking careful.

Stop being a shit head and just go buy a cheap batter charger / 50 dollar Triple A membership.

>get bad battery out of car #1
>get good battery out of car #2
>put good battery in car #1
>start car
>get good battery out of car #1 while running
>put bad battery in car #1 while running
>put good battery in car #2
>drive around for some time

negative should be grounded (to the car chassis).

#1 black to black (negative)
#2 red to red (positive)

d3qyiwn9eml53p.cloudfront.net/8914/7136/7357/Step-8.jpg

Some people ground the discharge battery negative to the chassis straight away

Some newer cars will be kill if you change the battery while running

Can you think of any off the top of your head?

I know some newer cars will give you alert codes that might need to be flashed out at a shop but thats about it.

Well my car is a 99model

Just buy a battery charger. You can get a decent one for 20 bucks.

Nearly anything with a computer. Although depending on the car, you have a certain window before it shuts off. Rarely would it shut off immediately. But without the battery, the alternator alone can't keep up.

>But without the battery, the alternator alone can't keep up.

Thats simply not true and I think you are likely misinformed.

If the alternator could not keep up with the electrical demands of the car then cars would constantly have dead batteries.

> But without the battery, the alternator alone can't keep up.

Technically anything with a computer because the battery makes sure the power is smooth where as the alternators power is shit and probably ~14 volts. I've seen some cars that actually have a safety feature that kills the car if you remove the battery. That being said, I've done it with my 95 shitbox with no worries. Like you said, I think the biggest issue would be clearing the error codes.

RIP alternator

He's not wrong. if you only have the car idling. The alternator needs some revs to actually produce decent amount of power

>anons think you can replace a battery in a running gasoline powered vehicle with a dead battery to charge it all while the engine stays running

I'm sincerely confused by how you guys think this would work

if you're American auto zone will charge it for free

get your car
start it
unplug the battery while giving it gas
still runs

you must follow a strict procedure for cars with computers or your going to fry it. I would just get a battery charging/conditioning unit.

Because I have done it multiple times

>RIP because it does the only thing it's supposed to do
what did he mean by this?

More like RIP your electronics

familyhandyman.com/automotive/how-to-test-an-alternator/view-all/

>If you’re tempted to test an alternator by disconnecting the negative battery cable, don’t do it. A good alternator may indeed keep the engine running, but it was never a good test. In the pre-computer days, you could pull it off without damaging anything. Today, you risk frying every electrical device in your vehicle. The second you disconnect the battery, the voltage regulator pegs the alternator to put out maximum power. With no battery in the circuit to act as a buffer, the alternator can put out up to 150 volts, depending on engine rpm. When the smoke clears, that “simple test” could end up costing you several thousand dollars for new electronics.

Nvm I get it now, it still seems fucking stupid though.

That I can understand. OP's car is a '99, so he wouldn't have that problem.
If you don't have cables, it can work. Still would prefer to do it with cables, on new cars especially.

modern alternators are designed to work with a battery. It is not healthy for the alternator to be powering the entire car for an extended period of time. Granted if you're doing it one time to recharge a dead battery it'll probably be fine.

Guys what if
>start car
>touch the poles of the bad battery to the matching poles of the good battery

Batteries don't put out enough power to charge other batteries

>If you don't have cables, it can work.
Or end up costing you far more money and trouble than the cost of a new battery, let alone jumper cables, which defeats the purpose of doing this for cheapass reasons. The only time this isn't a retarded decision is in a life or death scenario, however since you have a friend with another car capable of traveling to another location to retrieve cables or another battery, this also defeats the purpose. Stop defending a stupid thing.

No
>open hood of 1st car with dead batteries
>Take good battery out of 2nd car
>set good battery upside on bad battery with posts touching
>start car
>Take upside down battery off and put back in car

Another way would be taking your belt off and spinning the alternator with your hand until the battery is charged, I know that from experience

In which case it would be your alternator charging the battery, not your other battery. You're just doing a retard tier jump-start. Also it's a shit idea to turn car batteries upside down

Live your life however you like.

Why would I charge a car battery if I don't have a car to put it in, your retarded

So my point stands. You can't really charge a battery to any useful degree with another 12 volt battery

>my point stands

If u hooked a 12 volt battery to a dead battery both would just end up at 6 volts and neither would start a car but if you hooked a battery to a charger and brought it up to 16 volts then hooked it to the battery both would end up at 8 volts which would start a car

>bring a car battery to 16 volts
>one dead battery and one 12volt will even to 6 each
>gonna jump start my car by holding a battery upside down over the flat battery and connecting the terminals
>car will start on a car battery running at 8 volt

Please change your battery while running. It'll be entertaining to whoever's with you. Maybe we can get rid of one more idiot

You can, but I do not recommend it

A drained battery should not be charged from empty by an alternator that is also supplying other stuff. This is not healthy for the battery, and it will reduce the longevity & potential power output/capacity of it

I much more recommend getting a cheap charger and leaving it for atleast overnight, but preferrably 24h (or when it says its done, if its a smart-charger). This will be much easier on your battery and your friends car

Not a good idea.

1. Batteries give off hydrogen gas when charging. Dead batteries will release more than usual especially during the first bit of charging.

2. Car computers retain the normal operating conditions like fuel trim and other stuff and will loose this info if they lose power. The vehicle may not shift right or idle right for sometimes month afterwards.

3. The alternator charging the good battery is designed for that car and it's electrical loads. It may put too much juice into the the dead battery causing it too explode or boil and causing a whole mess of problems.

how the literal fuck are you going to start the other car if the battery is dead you hairbrained skullfucker

STOP BEING A REDNECK PIECE OF SHIT POORFAG AND BUY A NEW FUCKING BATTERY

I BET YOU ONLY OWN SHITBOXES AND DONT MOW YOUR LAWN

Connect positives first dipshit

Once a battery has gone dead it's never the same again. I'd replace it.

>1. Batteries give off hydrogen gas when charging. Dead batteries will release more than usual especially during the first bit of charging.
There's no way you'll ever make enough hydrogen to be dangerous in any capacity. The volume would have to be enormous

No cars battery will die just idling.

All of this is fucking retarded and wrong

The long of it is OP, yes your plan will work. The other vehicle will charge the other battery.

The problem, however, is you have no way of measuring just how much you've charged it, and if you've charged it enough to start the dead car too.

When you jump a car you use the good vehicle as a means of power, in a way it becomes a giant battery. But you only need it for a second, long enough for the dead vehicle's alternator to take over providing power.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to get your friend to come to you. The absolute worst case scenario, you could take the good battery out and put it in your dead car, and drive your car over to his car.

Or save the pain and either buy a battery charger or a new battery thats pre-charged.

It will if you idle for long enough. You probably won't experience this in real world usage tho.

This is shit from before the 80's. I idle my truck all day long because that is the work required (2.5 average mpg today) and it hasn't killed the battery in the last couple years. When I used to stop start the engine I killed batteries like it was no joke.

Look up battery explosions and the Hindenburg. The gas pressure isn't the problem it's the spark from arcing between the battery terminal and lead that ignites the gas. Most batteries are "sealed" or are vented through a tube in the case but all of them have fill ports on the top that allow the gas to flow out.
Please provide all your Wikipedia and YouTube knowledge then.

Here's something for everyone to learn. Batteries are also dangerous after they explode. A battery blew in a boat engine compartment leaving dried residue everywhere. When you rub your wet leg against the dried acid it will transfer and slowly burn without causing any pain. This is the result a day after.

An alternator won't produce a net power gain at idle, m8. Just because the loss didn't affect the ability to start, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

unless your alternator has failed you will not drain a battery by idling

it doesn't need to produce a gain, it merely needs to maintain the battery voltage. The battery does not supply electricity to the ignition system while the car is running, the alternator does. The battery once the car has started is merely a capacitor.

>he doesn't own a DTAC to slow charge his dead battery
kek

Go and do the maths for yourself. I'm not aware of any alternator that can maintain a battery's charge level at idle, let alone make up for the starter motor's drain at start up