2009 Toyota Camry LE 96k miles asking for 8500

Saw this on craigslist, blue booked at around 7100-7700 for good to excellent condition. I asked the guy about selling reason, for the carfax, and it turns out hes from a used car dealership, selling it after a trade in.

The carfax he sent me confirms 1 owner, 20 service records on file, mostly oil/air filter changes, with brake pads done as well. There's also a front strut replacement done, four wheel alignment done, drive belts replaced and an alignment check as well.

After I texted him he called me and said he preferred to call. Is this a red flag? He mentioned something about a car auction but it was hard to tell what was said, just that he also mentioned a 200 dollar inspection as well.

I have a trusted mechanic that I want to take the car to that he agreed as well.

I have a soft cap on my budget of around 5-6k but I'd be willing to do a small loan if it turns out this car is legit.

Someone is preferring to use a more legitimate form of communication. HOW THE FUCK IS THAT A RED FLAG?

Well I was thinking along the lines that it means anything he said wouldn't be on record because im not recording the conversation

this sounds like a great deal from someone who took care of their car but probably got bored and decided on something different when the lease was up.

also,phone calls are a legitimate form of communication fucking millennial. just get all paperwork copied for yourself and do that inspection.

Are you so autistic that calling is a deal breaker? Jesus op. Get out more

well thanks guys i appreciate.

When do I want to start talking price? Will I be able to talk him down to 7500 max?

as far as price, you can talk him down if you have a fair reason. you being poor is not a fair reason. see if you can find something you have to replace (tires, brake pads, rotors etc) and use that as leverage to negotiate price. just remember, you wouldn't want some kid with a bad attitude to get up your ass about your asking price so don't push it too hard

Do not buy from dealers that advertise on craigslist. Do not buy shitboxes from dealers. Buy a civic for 3k from a private seller.

>Do not buy from dealers that advertise on craigslist

that is an unfair blanket statement. I bought my car from a dealer that advertised on craigslist and it is an amazing car. it all comes down to you and your due diligence in getting an inspection and scrutinizing the carfax/carproof.

>Buy a civic for 3k from a private seller.

this is where your most likely to run into problems where dad tries to sell his sons old beat to shit learner with some polish on it. a dealer at least has a reputation to protect.

other than the 2AZ's being known for burning oil, not much goes wrong with those body camrys.

some people just dont like to text. Old phones, fat thumbs, etc

pic not related, unless the guy is selling women. HOW MUCH FOR THE WOMEN

Op it looks like a good car. call the man

craigslist dealers do not have reputations to uphold. the guy can very easily disappear.

>craigslist dealers do not have reputations to uphold

its a dealership that is brick and mortar. just so happens to advertise on craigslist because he was smart and wanted a wider audience. and because he has a brick and mortar store it is more worth his time and money to uphold a reputation then to have to piss off every few months to a new store.

I'm guessing you bought a lemon that you didn't have checked by your mechanic and now want to blame others?

>a dealer at least has a reputation to protect.

you'd think that's the case, but there's a reason for the stereotype of the shady used car lot salesman. The mention of a car auction is concerning since he may have obtained it from one and made it look presentable.

if you're in CA, make sure the dealer has a legitimate smog certificate. I've seen many instances of people buying cars that they can't register because the car cannot pass a smog check usually due to a shitton of repair costs the used car lot tried to sneak onto the buyer.

don't buy a shitty 4-cylinder base model camry.

put your 5k down on a

>The mention of a car auction is concerning since he may have obtained it from one and made it look presentable.

car auctions are not as bad as they used to be. many dealerships take in trade ins and if they cant sell them within a week they put them up for auction to make space for their new inventory.

that's where dealers get perfectly good cars for well under blue book to sell on their lots that may have nothing wrong with them other than they are "boring" (as was the case with mine)

What you DO have to look out for is people on car lots selling cars that have "rebuilt" titles. a mechanic inspection should tell you if this car was a salvage.

>dont buy the bulletproof car
>buy the car that will need a tranny rebuild in 50,000k instead

It's not 2003 anymore user.

still wouldn't trust that shit vs. the OPs Camry.

Why are you so hung up on an overpriced Camry? there's like 2 billion of them out there, pick a different one.

its a v6 actually

i know its overpriced, im going to bring it lower to the bluebook values hopefully. And i might as well take a solid look at a car thats been really well kept for just under 100k miles, something thats going to last me another 300k miles with proper regular maintenance

just remember, blue book is the cars "intrinsic" value used mainly for calculating insurance payouts.

This value plus markup and market correction is what you will pay real life.