Used BMW y/n?

So I’ve been looking into a new work commuter car to replace my old shitbox that finally died for good, and I’ve noticed that there’s quite a few BMW 328i sedans on the used market. Generally it seems I can get one with about 60k miles for about $15k (my price point). However I have heard much about how expensive these things are to maintain. I’m comfortable doing basic maintenance on my car like brake pads, oil changes, spark plugs, etc. Would that help keep cost of ownership down, or should I look elsewhere for a sporty 4-seater DD? I’m going back to college in a year so I’d rather not have to spend an enormous amount of money on repairs during those 2 years I’m finishing school.

3k civic and shut up

>buy 335i
>debadge it
>put m3 body kit on it
> got makeshift m3

>I’ve noticed that there’s quite a few BMW 328i sedans on the used market. Generally it seems I can get one with about 60k miles for about $15k (my price point).

there is a reason for this and it was the subject of a thread that is STILL IN THE FUCKING CATALOG. essentially, BMW cars begin to go downhill after 50,000miles and become a money pit (even if you know how to fix a car, the parts are comparatively expensive)

What year are we talking about? The older ones have an inline 6 engine that’ll last forever. If you know how to do basic maintenance then it won’t cost much to maintain really. My 530i is at 100,000 miles and running perfectly. As long as you treat the car well you’ll be happy.

this idiot was in the last thread. he didn't get the fact that the engine does not matter if the rest of the vehicle dissolves around it there either.

Listen you autistic shit, there’s literally no evidence for your bullshit claim about “hurr durr the entire car dissolves” there are many people out there with bmw’s at super high mileage. I’m pretty sure Op is looking for advice from actual owners not retarded busriders who parrot memes since they have absolutely no automotive knowledge.

you know, the more angry someone gets over something, the more they know it to be true deep down.

plenty of owners were in that thread and all attested to the fact that BMWs parts generally break and/or dissolve way quicker than other cars and are way more expensive than other cars to replace.

learn to bathtub curve.

listen, I would listen to people who actually collect data on the matter and not on anecdotes. Also, the plural of anecdote is still not data.

If you cannot afford the upkeep on the car, you cannot afford the car. BMW's, and German imports in general, are much more expensive to fix.

They are awesome driving machines and offer an excellent driving experience, but also consider the owner experience. You don't want to be the guy whose girlfriend is always in the mental hospital after trying to kill herself (bmw).

>You don't want to be the guy whose girlfriend is always in the mental hospital after trying to kill herself (bmw).

imma use this metaphor, its beautiful.

Who said I’m angry, I’m just calling you out for what you are: a delusional nuisance. I’ve owned two bmw’s and both have been absolutely fine over a course of several years. OP said he’s willing to do routine maintenance and that’s the most important thing. The only parts that are known to wear out are the water pump and hoses. Once you replace then with aftermarket ones it’ll be fine for a much longer time. It’s interesting how you use some other people’s anecdotes to supplement your nonexistent knowledge of bmw’s, as if that actually proves your claim.

Sure the parts might cost more than a civic, but it’s also a lot more fun to drive than a civic and has a better interior.

>BMW's, and German imports in general, are much more expensive to fix.
The difference is bmw’s are generally easy to work on and so if he’s willing to do the work himself it’s really not a big deal.

>Once you replace then with aftermarket ones it’ll be fine for a much longer time

BMW, where the cheap Chinese parts are actually better than "German Engineering"

I can tell your over compensating for your fears of sitting on a bank destroying landmine.

>The difference is bmw’s are generally easy to work on

yaaaa..... no. anyone thats spent more than 10 minutes working on one can tell you they are a horridly over complicated and over engineered bitch.

I can tell you’re literally a busrider who has no clue what he’s even talking about. Cheap chinese parts? The aftermarket parts are all German and made of stronger materials. Every post you put your foot in your mouth, I don’t even need to try to make you look stupid.

And you’re one of those people? Because I am and they’re fine other than the M cars which naturally have more complicated engines.

>The aftermarket parts are all German and made of stronger materials

then why couldn't your "superior" BMW have used these parts in the first place and not shitty parts that dissolve?

>I don’t even need to try to make you look stupid.

I'm not the guy getting ass blasted trying to defend a German car well known for its general faults on a Message board originally built for Chinese cartoons.

>Because I am and they’re fine

y u lie, user?

>then why couldn't your "superior" BMW have used these parts in the first place and not shitty parts that dissolve?
The engines get really hot and the EU limits the types of rubbers or resins they can use when building cars to more environmentally friendly ones. This means the rubber gets more brittle over time. I don’t really know why they used plastic impellers instead of metal for the water pumps, maybe manufacturing budget or something. Anyway it’s pretty easy to change and once you do it’s fine for a very long time. The replacement hoses are dirt cheap as well

>I'm not the guy getting ass blasted trying to defend a German car well known for its general faults on a Message board originally built for Chinese cartoons.
Nope you’re the guy getting assblasted attacking a German car because his autism won’t allow him to differentiate memes from real life. Next time wait till you have something substantial to contribute before posting.

It’s so hard to believe I’ve worked on my own car? Actually I was really intimidated at first because everyone says German cars are so complicated. Honestly the only complaint I have is that there’s a lot of trim you have to move out of the way before you can really access the engine, which makes it tedious.

>EU limits the types of rubbers or resins they can use when building cars to more environmentally friendly ones.

>badge whores still buying machines cucked by the EU into being shit and dissolving
>still buying them for 2 to 3 times the price of other cars that don't have these problems

well done, really convinced me to buy that quality automobile. got me thinking about the other rubber seals the engine uses that can potentially fail cause "muh EU standards". must be nice to have "standards" to hide behind when justifying cheap parts.

>Nope you’re the guy getting assblasted attacking a German car because his autism won’t allow him to differentiate memes from real life

yep cause attacking someone by calling them "autistic" and dismissing widely held knowledge as "memes" is the definite way to show that you are the authority here.

What year did Mercedes become cunts? I'm currently considering two 1995 models

should be good in the '90s. Ive seen some warhorses around here from that time that look like they have been to hell and back yet still run.

Is a BMW a good starter car if i live in germany? The parts should be easier to come by, right? Or can you guys give me an example of a good starter car thats easy to get in germany? My biggest problem is the fact that i don't know shit about cars and i don't want to buy something that breaks down every other month and needs repairs. Any suggestions?

what did you fix?

I had an electrical problem and couldn't fix the gremlins on my 325i. Eventually the problem solved itself when it caught on fire in 2012.

yes, any German car is fine to own in Germany. Our "expensive" argument only applies to the NA market.

As to which car to get that is reliable there, I wouldn't know too well. Generally look around you at what everyone else is driving ALOT of (like civic and corolla here) and look into those.

buy a volkswagen gti. tons of fun, customizable, nice daily drivers too. doesn't break the bank.

Does that apply to all BMWs or just certain generations?

Brakes, water pump, ignition system, filters, fluids. I haven’t had any electrical gremlins in either of my cars so my bad if that’s what you meant when you said complicated.

Yeah go for a 525i or 535d

>well done, really convinced me to buy that quality automobile. got me thinking about the other rubber seals the engine uses that can potentially fail cause "muh EU standards"
Considering mine is at 100k and others have gone up to 200 or 300k without significant engine problems, I’d say they’re fine. The ethanol in American gas is much more cause for concern than any seal materials.
>must be nice to have "standards" to hide behind when justifying cheap parts.
Considering everything else is made from high quality materials, it’s a conundrum. Your hostility shows me you’re just emotionally invested in discrediting German cars, if it wasn’t already obvious from the beginning.

>yep cause attacking someone by calling them "autistic" and dismissing widely held knowledge as "memes" is the definite way to show that you are the authority here.
Your “widely held knowledge” amounts to a couple of anecdotes and your manner of posting clearly indicates you have autism or at least asperger’s. Look at your own behavior before you start criticizing other people’s, you’ve been an asshole from the beginning. Lack of self-awareness? More evidence of your mental problem.

90’s mercedes were still very solid cars, you can go for one if it hasn’t had the living shit beaten out of it.

Do you think I should go c class or e class? I know E's are a bit bigger but are their any differences I should be looking at? I know very close to fuck all about anything non aussie/burger

E class have much nicer interiors but are also bigger and heavier. They also have a softer more comfortable ride though.

Honestly I would go with the e class since if you wanted a touge car you’d be getting bmw or something japanese

Cheers, m8. I'll keep that in mind, but I'll probably just pick the one in better condition desu

Get yourself an E32/E38 750

I dd a 2010 523i woth 180k kilometers on it, it's comfy af and the underpowered i6 sound really nice. Got no experience from 3 series j6t if i as a student can afford the upkeep of mine i'd say go for it.

>fwd

E46 328is are nice cars, especially if they’re sport optioned.
HOWEVER, if there is the slightest inclination of a cooling issue or misfire problems, Run away as fast as you can.
I took immaculate care of mine, no rust, clean interior; blew one radiator hose because a clip came undone and it never ran right again.

If you cant fix most of things yourself just walk away.
e60 535d owner

bmw isn't going to build a car that breaks down. you'd have to replace stuff like any other car, the parts may cost more but you could find used in good condition.

It never ran right how?
Did you overheat the engine?

So are 90's BMWs solid or are they all just fucked?

not that guy but e46's have aluminum blocks if they overheat even a bit it can fuck shit up

That was my hunch. I kind of figured the majority of people claiming high repair costs are clueless idiots who take it to the dealer (who charges $300 for an oil change) and are shocked when it costs so much to fix. Seems like as long as I’m ok with something a little before this generation and avoid turbos and other unnecessary complications I should be ok.

while this is true, many mechanics will take the dealers price for repair as their own (maybe loping 50 bucks off to be competitive)

but yes, doing shit yourself is good. parts still cost more comparatively though

I was dead set on an E92 for weeks, but suddenly realised I'd be better off saving some of the money and got an Alfa Romeo 159 instead.