High mileage question

What's the highest mileage that you would be comfortable buying a car at? What number is "too high" for you?

I know this depends on a lot of things but would buying any car in the 150k+ range automatically be a bad idea? I've read the sticky and been looking at cars on Craigslist, and there are a lot of really great cars with high mileage, some appear very well maintained but a lot of miles is a lot of miles.

A sporty car will likely be clapped out around 120k. A shitbox subcompact maybe 180k, and a accord or camry, with much better components all around, I would be hesitant only after 250k. Pickup trucks? Maybe 200k tops

Depends a lot on maintenance. My friend bought a 94 ford ranger with 700,000 miles on the shell. It runs really fucking well too. I'll buy a suburban with any mileage personally. Just remember that most vehicles recommend a full strut/spring replacement every 150,000 miles

I bought my last car at 280k/175m

My 2005 bmw 530 is at 614.000 miles currently, original engine, no joke.

No mileage is too high. Buy the car in the best condition instead of falling for the mileage meme.

Mileage doesn't tell you the whole story. I'm not too shabby about mileage like I'm about: how many owners did it have, is the maintenance history in check, etc.
I still do some consideration about mileage, like seeing what's the average mileage expected for this particular model or mileage/year.

5.0 user is that you?

A religiously maintained 300k mile car is likely in better shape than a 150k mile shitbox owned by a boy racer

>Buy first car
>200k miles, failing clutch and transmission, engine barely runs
>Replace some basic engine stuff
>Runs like a dream
>Frequent oil changes

That car survived 12,000+ miles of teenage shenaniganry and racing, it was still going strong when I got in a crash and parked it until I have money to fix it. Milage isn't the whole story, maintenance is the biggest thing.

Which can pretty much be done yourself if you have access to a lift bay

DESU, the only thing I care about in the service history is seeing the 5k and the 10k mileage service. On my truck I see those two and that was enough. I noticed there was K&N aftermarket air filter which indicates to me that the previous owner did all his own maintenance and only went to the dealer at 5 and 10k because it was free with the purchase.

Just because it isn't noted in the Carfax doesn't mean it didn't happen.

>this nigga needs a lift bay

>K&N aftermarket air filter which indicates to me that the previous owner did all his own maintenance

Ask your dad

What's the problem here? Why would some lube shop throw in an expensive filter when OEM would be cheaper

Bought my 08 Ram w/ 283k from an old guy. Sitting at 297k now. He drove a lot for his job, just liked having a truck. Maintenance receipts, upgrades, deleted EGR & DPF. Truck runs like a fucking champ and I got it for $12,800.

Mileage doesn't mean shit.

That sounds a bit high. Where are you? High trim?

Depends on the age, type of vehicle, how many owners it's had, maintenance schedule, how much the owner is selling it for, and the overall condition.

If it's a Mazda3 built in the last 15 years in good shape at a good price, I'd probably go as high as 200k. If it's a some A70 Supra with failed mods and a $7500 asking price I wouldn't even be looking in its general direction if it had more than 50k on the odo.

80k km is my baseline

98 civic hatch, 102k miles, engine rebuilt 2 times , it’s a dream my dude, keep the Maintenance up and it will last for ever and keep you going and she will love you.

Have you ever heard of the story of the 1 million mile accord?

The number of miles is kind of irrelevant. What the vehicle was doing for the majority of it's life is what matters. 100k miles as a fleet or work truck is like 300k of driving to church and getting groceries in ol' Elmers Ranger.

>98 civic hatch, 102k miles, engine rebuilt 2 times

What the fuck? That's approaching Germany tier. Stop driving the thing like a fucking ricer. This is why I don't fall for the used Civic meme.

That's gotta be some troll shit, not even nissans cvts need a rebuild that often.

There's also a million mile c5 Corvette on the original LS1.

mom and dad said 100k. dunno that much about mileage , haven't had that much experience of my own. we bought my car with 21k anyways.

>>if it's a bmw, and it has above 10 miles, just don't bother buying it. it will fall apart on the drive home and cost you your mortgage

pls explain then delete this