Opinions and experience with the Mitsubishi lancer?

Opinions and experience with the Mitsubishi lancer?

garbage. just get a civic for 3k.

>Mitsubishi
>ever

what makes it garbage? interested in getting a nissan versa also

stay the fuck away from the versa. it steers like a lawn mower, it gets blown around in the wind like its nothing, it has rust problems 4 months into ownership, its manual transmission is blegh. If you want a cheap new car, get the spark or the focus.
Theres a reason why rental car companies buy the versa.

It's not garbage but maybe outdated. This generation came out in 2008 and hasn't changed much. Try to get the manual if you can. CVT is usually not very good.

>mitsubishit lancer is so bad the thread immediately switched over to talking about other cars and brands
sasuga

They're also cheap as fuck used in the UK. Which makes them tempting even if theyre mediocre

>it has rust problems 4 months into ownership
Except it doesnt have anymore rust issues than an average car in the US. Stop exaggerating.

OP, the lancer is mechanically a very solid vehicle. They go for super cheap, even for a very new SE model. So unlike what the dipshit first post told you, a Lancer is a much better car than a civic for the price.

A 3k civic has 200k miles and is about to die. A 3k lancer is probably at half that. Go check car gurus or craigslist, dont just take my word for it. You can also get a 2016 lancer for 10k easily, that is no joke.

Now for the actual issues with the car.
The clearcoat is always shit on lancers. At about five or six years, that shit is going to peel all off. Its not bad unless they salt the roads where you live, in which case its a poor choice of car.
If you live in the south, you're good to go and its a fantastic car.

Had mine for 2 years
>2009 GTS
>Rear passenger calliper rusted off
>window motor is breaking
>had to replace sway bar links twice

Other than that it's really fun to drive and it's pretty ok on fuel.

Plus it's sexy

Owner of a 2012 SE here
It's really not a bad car but has a few annoying aspects that I wish I could change.
>the CVT is anemic as all fuck
>a potato probably has better sound quality than the stock stereo
>actually the whole interior feels really cheap
>fuel economy is meh unless you drive it like an 82 year old with cataracts (I average about 24-26 mpg driving like a normal person)

Other than that, it's a decent car and it's a lot more unique than a Civic and felt a lot more solid than other Korean cars in my price range.
If you have any other questions let me know.

I almost bought a used ralliart but i didnt like the idea of a used performance car

>older models especially the evos
fucking great

>new ones
snores vill its what comes to mind as bare bones transportation

Used ones are a good deal, cheaper than other cars. They're really popular in Australia because they're cheap, reliable, and handle better than a Corolla. Just don't buy a new one cause they've been selling the exact same model for 10 years now.

>10k for a car with no more features and build quality on par with a 3k civic

trying to buy new because less problems and stuff.
I like everyone's advice thank you. any suggestions for a good sporty car under 20k?

I have a 2017 LE and its a solid car OP the interior still feels kinda cheap bit the red cross stiching on the seats, steering wheel, and door make it look a little better. The infotainment system is decent it can do what you would expect

>Mitshitbitshit
>Nissan

Why are you interested in two shit Jap cars? Are you broke? Last time I checked used Toyotas are still pretty cheap.

I drive a shitty as fucking 2004 Lancer ES.

It's a normal car. It drives. I haven't had problems with it at 200k miles.

I constantly drove above 100 mph on the freeway until a recent police scare. No problems whatsoever. I love my car even if it's a giant hunk of shit.

>muh problems
there's nothing wrong with used. the money you save should be worth fixing something every now and then. besides, when something breaks on your shitsubishi you'll till need to visit the dealer or mechanic.

3k Civic and 17k in mods

not planning to buy a really nice car until I get my life together, I.e before I used to drive with a beat up chevy, I'm looking to get a yellow or red corvette stingray ir a celica in a few years but before that I need a regular car that gets me to part a to b, really all that matters is that it doesn't break down often.

3k civic fits that perfectly. post your local craigslist.

Wog car

Just buy 6 $3k civic and use 5 of them for parts

They're outdated unreliable trash.

Only Lancer worth owning is an Evo.

This. Mitsushitsi is a meme.

Corolla are fucking awful to drive user, 1350kg and under 110kw makes for a dreary combination. They're also exxy for what you get.

Outdated yes, this also equates to lower ownership costs in the long run. Unreliable, not even.

Outdated doesn't necessarily mean lower running costs, that comes down to reliability and design.

pre 2008 they were great. replacement parts are easy to come by and are cheap(unless its a manual transmission, youll never find one for a good price) aftermarket for the 4g94 lancers kind of suck but if its reliability is what you want they rock.

I got my 2002 with 194k on it and it was burning oil. I replace the motor after I hydrolocked the first one(600$ for a used motor with 80k miles) and the only problem ive ran into was the idle air control valve(came off my original motor)but its still working after being zip tied 20 times and im at 210k on the odo.

all my lights work, all my power windows work. ive had very little problems with it. plus it only weighs 2700 pounds so its fun to toss around.

also extremely simple to work on, nothings covered like some pussy money wasting bull shit

>2016 lancer for 10k
There's a reason for that, faggot

They are very old very basic compact sedans with so-so build quality. They're pretty decently reliable mechanically; they've had 10 years to work out all the kinks in the design. But that does mean it's running on 10 year old architecture. It's a Point A-to-Point B shitbox, albeit one that stands out because literally nobody buys them anymore. You can probably get a fair deal on a new one because your average Mitsubishi dealer would be fucking stoked that someone is actually wanted to buy one of the things; normally they just sit on the dealer's lot for months at a time gathering dust.

Oh, and on every trim above the base engine, you get an AWD system. They're the cheapest way to get AWD in a new car.

All in all, not a BAD car, but you can probably find a better car at whatever price point you want to put into it, unless you're specifically looking for AWD and/or like its looks.

recommend me a car under 20k that's sporty but also good for point a to point b

Mazda3. Or a Mazda6.

This.

Manual, of course.

It certainly does, given two cars of equal reliability the more modern one will have more potential points of failure due to complexity.
An easy example is dual mass flywheels or Mazda flex link between the crankshaft and flywheel on the Skyactivs, these have a very finite lifespan.

Mitsubishi are terrible cars.

That's brought down by the Outlander twins. The Lancer is actually a very dependable car. As it turns out, building the same exact car for 10 years in a modern factory lets you figure out every deficiency in the design and deal with it.

>every deficiency in the design
Excuse me, *every decifiency in the manufacturing process.

The design itself is nothing to write home about, and the interior is rental tier at its best in the top trim, but the drivetrain has no real problems besides being boring.

>deficiency
>decifiency

It's 1:30 in the morning. Forgive me.

Unreliable? If you get a manual Lancer it'll last forever.