Shifters thread

Post you're car shifter or the ones you like/dislike

Immediately posting this under "dislike" to avoid shitposting

I was originally put off by it being dash mounted, and mine is very loose and sloppy but now that I'm used it, it it's not bad

dork incoming

pagani looks neat at first, but in reality is probably just an impractical dust magnet

spyker c8 is by far my favorite

aaand bmw with the pure class

*chunk*
*chunk*
*chunk*

did they ever make stick/standard column shifters? Im imaginging how odd it would feel to depress a clutch and then try and shift with a column shifter.

Yes, for many years. When you hear an old person talk about 'three on the tree,' that's what they mean- three speed manual transmission with the shifter on the steering column. Later phased out in favor of 'four on the floor,' which is exactly what it sounds like.

you'd best believe it.

in a car like this, you'll have to knock on wood several times (paul walker didn't)

Why is the e39 interior so perfect

on one hand, it's nice having your hands so close to the steering wheel like with modern day paddle shifters.
On the other hand, Im laughing picturing a modern six-speed column shifting manual car with wiper and indicator stocks in the way

ford managed to put the signals and wipers on one stalk with their column shift trucks

Mugen formula shift knob, definitely one of my favourites.

dont have any pictures of it on an actual car but i like the blue dragon ball.

Thank god someone posted this

Spoon knob is also very nice

I've got a password JDM one. They're roughly 20% bigger in all dimensions compared to the spoon ones.

pic related

5/5

except some bubbling under the glass

This is best

Tommy Kaira shift knobs are the most balanced, natural feeling knobs i’ve ever used. Friend had one in his 350. Well worth the insane price

Too much class for me plz gibs rice jap shift diamonds

I drove an XRS and hated every second of it. Steering was okay I guess though.

Bimmer shifters just look and feel so fucking cheap.

This seems like a good thread to ask.

Are gated shifters actually any different from actual manual transmissions, or is the front cover plate the only difference?
With a little bit of measuring could you, say, make your car gated?

It looks neat but then you realise it's an automatic

Sounds to me like you didn't VTEC. There's no way not to love that.

Mopar wood pistol grip

One of my favorites too. I ordered a black one from china off ebay recently and got A/V cables instead, so I just ordered pic related. Hopefully I actually get a shift knob this time.

gated shifters is just a plate and gets in the way of accurate shifts. Go into your car and make a template and see how wide and dumb your actual shift pattern is.

older Mitsubishi L300 had them. a friend of mine has them, looks weird at first.

>what normies believe

The plate on an actual gated shifter is just decoration and will follow the same path without it.

Unless of course the bushing is worn out and gets sloppy, then it becomes a pain in the ass to maneuver between the gates.

2011-2015 Chevy Volt console and shifter in white

The column shifters used in the Tesla Model S, X, and 3, are my favorite.

That's not a column shifter, that's a goddamn column button, fuck you Tesla.

There's a button on the end for Park, but the whole stick moves up for Reverse, down for Drive and down slightly for Neutral. It's very easy to use, and doesn't require the driver to look and confirm, like some other shifter designs. If the driver opens the door with his/her seat belt off, the car will automatically shift to Park and shut off after he/she leaves and closes the door, so long as the key is out of the car.

>it doesn't go CHUNK CHUNK as you shift
It's shit.

It doesn't need to, because there's only one possible position in any direction (except for neutral, which is skipped to make going into drive easier). Typical transmission selectors have detents to help the driver select drive modes, because there's multiple possible positions while moving up or down.

>Tesla

It's a Mercedes part

the only manual I have driven is a 2004 WRX's which is my car.

I've heard that Subaru manuals are one of the shittest out there.

is this true? what makes it shit and what will driving another manual feel like in comparison

which car brands are supposed to have the better manuals?

dog leg 1st gear, must be a race car.

just gonna leave this here

If we’re talking manual, I like a plain round knob. If automatic, column shift is GOAT.

I drove a new BMW the other day and the trans felt really nice. The shifts were smooth and had a satisfying, subtle CLUNK when the gear engaged. The knob itself felt kind of cheap but it sure did shift nice. Clutch was very numb though and I hated how short the clutch travel was.

Their transmissions are a bit fragile, that’s all. Perhaps not the crispest shift feel, but it’s a Subaru, not a Ferrari.

anything wooden made by Nardi

Literal dildo looking shifter

They still are in some cars. My benz has the screen wash, wipers, high beam and signals all on a single stalk.

Is that uncommon or something? I've seen that a bunch, even on my two decade old Ford- up for left indicator, down for right indicator, forward for high beams (clicks in place), back to flash high beams, and the end of the stalk both rotates for wiper speed and pushes in for spray.

Er, up for right and down for left. It's hard actually thinking about what direction does what shit when you're used to it being muscle memory, I can understand why people get fucked up switching between RHD and LHD.

That's exactly how mine works. I don't know how common it is though, every car I owned before had 2 stalks in varying configurations.

Try a GMT400 stalk some time

Looks like the same thing except they decided to put cruise on the stalk too jesus christ what the fuck? Please don't tell me it has redundant cruise controls on the steering wheel anyway.

No, nothing on the steering wheel for some reason. The 03-early 07 got 12 buttons on the steering wheel but none of them are cruise control lmao

Is that a fuel hatch button on the steering wheel? wtf

your daughter's a soccer player? what college?

Oh, yeah. I think the one in the 3 is unique, though.

That's impressive.

The shifter in the 2008-2012 Jeep Liberty has a nice, mechanical feel to it. It makes a metallic click sound in between positions, and due to the zig-zag pattern, requires no lock-out button, which gives it a surprisingly relaxed feel.

My niggas.

>daughter
Lmao no senpai that’s my ex fiancée, pic was taken over 6 years ago

Their 6-speeds aren't notably bad compared to others but their 5-speeds are clunky and agricultural feeling compared to something like an older Honda 5mt. Also on Subarus I'm not a fan of the clutch feel, especially the latest ones, they feel like video game controllers where I'm left guessing where this bite point is thanks to almost no feedback in the pedal.

FCA does the same thing, but with both front and rear wipers on the same stock. It's shit.

I love this miats set. would stick in my corvette desu

>Biposto dog box
my fucking dick

I got a chance to drive this car for a small amount of time and the shifter was godlike

I fucking loved it, it was so wonderful and ergonomic.

It does look like a dildo tho

why the FUCK my ding dong hard

Not the best, but also not the worst by a long shot. A sixth gear would make it much, much better.

My mother has owned two of them, so I spent a decade getting driven around in them. Really made me fond if it. Unfortunately I can only fit comfortably in the Type R because the seats are deeper, and I'm a young bong so insurance won't let me have it.

Pic related is mine, it's terrible. 3 is 1:1 and 4/5 are overdrive, which is exactly what you don't want in a car with 59hp.

I laughed pretty hard at this.

Other than small dimension changes (non-domed top and the text height) and the text will look kind of funny, the fake ones are very close to the real one's dimensions. If you like smaller cylindrical shift knobs, the mugen ones are the way to go.

It turns out the one i got like 7 years ago is authentic, so i dont want to redrill the threads. Its currently sitting in my buddy's accord.

So this is just like mine.
Minus the wood.
And minus the leather.
And minus the cream color.
And minus the parking sensor.
And minus whatever that button below the parking sensor is.

;_;

two fucking overdrive gears?

pic unrelated, one of my stupid shifters incoming!

I fucked up remembering 3rd, whoops.

I can retro fit that into my 2012 S60 RD but mine looks like this.....

holy shit and fca expects you to pay $80k for that cheap garbage

Fuck no, that looks like my old 7 series and christ i hated everything about that car

I mean functionally.

Oh man, P71 shifters are the best

My last car had one. I liked it desu.

>not my pic but looks the same :^)

My dad's Camry has one like that.
I feel like I'm in Star Trek or some shit whenever I drive it.

I always feel like saying "engage!"

Best shifter I've ever had in my hands, 2nd gen Fiat Panda. It feels so good to shift very precise but still easy to shift, and all of that in very cheap car.

forgot pic

Comfiest interior of any car I’ve been in. Love those old gmc/Chevy setups

The fucking cupholders are the worst thing about this car, honestly.

What about the fact that it’s a pontiac

Mazda B2200

Opinions?