Are these real or just fast and furious memes?

are these real or just fast and furious memes?

do people unironically use it irl? how does it work anyways and what does it actually do

Other urls found in this thread:

enginebuildermag.com/2012/06/power-adders-turbos-blowers-and-nitrous/
google.com/search?gl=us&hl=en&pws=0&source=hp&ei=ivk8WvWhEtL-0gSGmr-gCA&q=warming nitrous bottle&oq=warming nitrous bottle&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1.2684.9397.0.9662.29.20.1.4.4.0.432.2257.2-6j1j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..16.13.2275...0j46j0i131k1j0i46k1.0.3EuXqgLkk5M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide
hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0212-supercharging-nitrous-oxide/
hotrod.com/articles/nitrous-vs-supercharger-comparison/
rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-87-myths-and-misconceptions-about-power-adders/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Real, do people use it regularly? Not many, go to a drag meet though and it's common as fuck.
It supplies Oxygen rich air to your engine.

does it really make that much of a difference?

does it fuck your car up every time you use it?

more oxygen more fuel more combustion more power
i think as long as you dont inject insane amounts its not any worse than turboing your car

Well your pic related is a dry kit, you use that without fueling adjustments to cope and yeah you run the risk of lean detonation which isn't a good thing.

if you built your engine around it then its pretty decent shit. if you blow a 150 shot down your civic you'll melt your pistons.

>nitrous
>oxygen rich

You're not serious are you nigga?

>nitrous
>OXIDE

bait harder

>two nitrous molecules
>one oxygen molecule
>oxygen rich

>50% more oxygen than atmo
The boards 18+ famalam

You know whats got more oxygen than that? Fucking oxygen.

is nos kind of like a turbo in a bottle ?

That's a good idea user, go to BOC, buy an Oxy bottle and plumb it up, lemme know how it goes for you.

Sort of. Injection of nitrous oxide allows the engine to do more work (produce more power) by increasing the stoichiometric ratio of oxygen in the combustion reaction.

how do you refill it though?

With dollars

Drive to a place that can refill it, take the bottle out, pay them to refill it, put the bottle back in.

LOL PLEASE TRY INJECTING OXYGEN INTO YOUR INTAKE AND LEMME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS M8

Isn't the stoichiometric ratio always the same regardless? You just increase the amount of oxygen and fuel, not their ideal ratio

What do you mean? You just pay some people who have a supply of nitrous to refill the tank for you. It’s pretty simple.

well thats just fucking stupid and a waste of money. Just do forced induction instead.

Stoich is stoich yes, for petrol it's 14.7 from memory, a dry NOS shot will change your AFR though and 14.7 is too lean for most engines safety anywho.

Yes it's a waste of money, don't kid yourself though, 99% of money sunk into cars is a waste if you don't value the lols.

He's correct.

Nitrous is not more oxygen per molecule than 02.

However air in your engine is only 30% 02 and 70% inert N2.

Thus injecting N02 (cheap and plentiful) increases available oxygen by removing the 70% inert N2.

How are you people so stupid nitrous doesn't work because of what's in it at all, the extra oxygen is a added benefit you retards. Nitrous works by entering the combustion chamber at like negative 90degrees or something stupid cold like that and what happens is that because it cools down the combustion chamber by like 40degrees (these numbers are off the top of my head not sure if they're exact) you get a way denser AF mix. Think of it like a really really potent cold air intake.
That's why you should do a "wet kit" that mixes it in with the fuel prior to entering the chamber or else your fuel computer will lean it and and kaboom. You gotta have bigger injectors and a better fuel pump to run this stuff but it's pretty awesome, it's like a extra power boost when you need it, saves wear on the engine that way. I'm probably going to put a 75shot into my rx7 once it gets rebuilt.

Adding 50% more oxygen than atmo makes a bigger difference than denser air, it's also the primary reason you'll lean out with a dry shot. The cooling is the byproduct, just like it is with injected LPG, methanol etc

Unless you're talking forced aspiration.

>How are you people so stupid nitrous doesn't work because of what's in it at all
People in glass houses...

OP stop fucking lying for conversation you lying whore.

No it doesn't you fucking retard. And that number you vomited out depends completely on the sIze of the shot. A HUGE shot might add 50% more oxygen but most people don't run a 200+ shot. You're also assuming all the nitrous oxide breaks up, which it doesn't.
Don't quote me on this figure but I read somewhere that every degree you lower intake temps adds about 2 horsepower, so that being said a 80shot would lower intake temps by 40degrees. Where the he'll did you hear that nos works on oxygen that's the stupidest thing I've heard all week

I know this because people always think that NOS will break apex seals on rotaries (it doesn't) because of the thermal shock from the nitrous lowering the temperaturee. Why would they think that if it didn't lower the temperature hugely.
Oxygen is what causes the detonation, you're right about that but its not what makes the power. Otherwise we'd just be hooking little oxygen pumps up to our cars.

An 80 shot would lower intake temps 40 degrees on what engine? The amount of latent heat you take out will be relatively fixed based on the shot size but the temperature drop will vary hugely depending on airflow.
50% is the increase in oxygen density in NOS compared to atmo, as I stated, the actual increase in O2 in the combustion chamber will ofc depend on the CFM of your engine and the size of the shot. I'm not sure how you think combustion works but NOS sure as shit breaks down in combustion.
The cooling effect you're talking about is far more critical in forced aspiration engines where you have an excess of airflow(your source of increased oxygen content in the combustion chamber) and a compressor heating the intake air.

No we wouldn't, Oxy tanks are dangerous, unlike NOS tanks, it's also retarded expensive in practice, like NOS.

You really are a complete and utter fucking idiot.
enginebuildermag.com/2012/06/power-adders-turbos-blowers-and-nitrous/
>Adding a nitrous oxide system (NOS) to an engine overcomes the limitation of how much oxygen is in the air by adding more oxygen to the combustion process. This allows the engine to burn a much richer fuel mixture to make more power. Think of it as a poor man’s alternative to nitromethane racing fuel, which does the same thing only in a much more dramatic fashion.
>When nitrous oxide (N2O) is injected into an engine, the heat of combustion breaks down the N2O into nitrogen and oxygen, increasing the free oxygen that’s available for further combustion. This would have a leaning effect on the air/fuel mixture, so additional fuel must also be injected into the engine at the same time to take full advantage of the extra oxygen. The amount of power added will depend on the “shot” of nitrous that is sprayed into the engine. For mild street performance, the shot might only add 50 to 100 horsepower, but for more serious competition the boost might be 200 horsepower or higher.

NOS is a meme.
There are good nitrous oxide kits out there though.

Again where the hell do you get your information because nitrous is dangerous as hell too. It will literally explode if you hit it with a hammer or something. It's recommended you put them as far away from the driver as possible for this reason lol.
NOS is rare-ish on forced induction engines outside of drag racing. Most people do it on n/a engines for a little boost without all the tuning hassle of a turbo. I don't think you know anything about NOS lol I've helped build these things and know guys who have NOS hooked up (one is a triumph spitfire with a 75 shot which is absolutely hilarious to drive)

Any pressurised container if breached can let go, an Oxygen container is flammable, there is a huge difference there.

I'll give you a simple example of the difference between temperature drop and oxygen increase,
Which gives you more power, the extra oxygen delivered by a turbocharger, because that is the sole purpose of compressing intake air, or adding an intercooler to said newly turbocharged engine(without changing the boost, because changing the boost adds oxygen just like cooling the air)

>150 shot civic
That would be kind of insane, but also fun as hell.
But I doubt you could actualy inject that much nitrous in a B16A...

If you inject pure oxygen your EGT goes through the roof and parts of your engine actualy start to burn.

I guess you could do it to a certain extend with a rotary engine, since it has no exaust valves and is not prone for detonation or knock.

I'm aware that such a reaction does happen but it's not where you get the majority of your power, again if that's how it worked we'd just hook up oxygen tanks.
But I if nitrous is combustible too then it would do the same lmao

Nitous oxide is a oxydizer, for it to combust there must be fuel.
(just like oxygen, but pure oxygen can lead to burning metals and other shit)

This.

NOS isn't combustible as a gas NOS will break down under high temps and the Oxygen will burn.
Free concentrated Oxygen is a massive catalyst to combustion and makes any combustion which occurs significantly hotter.

To be clear, neither is directly flammable but Oxygen carries a massively higher risk of accidental combustion and far more disastrous results.

>It will literally explode if you hit it with a hammer or something

No, it won't.

That was same user you've been talking to, a turbocharger will add more power than the increase derived from adding an intercooler on top with no other changes. A cooler allows you to add more boost safely but this is simply a case of adding more oxygen through compression, at the cost of increased intake temps funnily enough.

>I'm aware that such a reaction does happen
>I know this because people always think that NOS will break apex seals on rotaries (it doesn't)
Correct. It's literally a chemical supercharger.

Enjoy your scorched rotors, kid. Take off your trip.

You're not getting it, without forced induction there's a hard limit to how much fuel and air will fit in a cylinder, by cooling the mix down you fit way more in and also don't melt your engine. You have to intercool anything beyond like 7 psi because of this. Like you just won't get any more power out of it. Because we're talking about NA engines, the cooling effect lends itself to making the mix denser than just shooting more gas into it.
I want you to buy a can of nos and hit with a sledgehammer or a pickaxe, if it breaks its going to explode.

I want him/her to keep the trip on. Might save someone taking advice from a proven retard.

No you just made my point for me, there is a hard limit so by adding an oxygen rich mixture(NOS) and fuel to suit you're literally generating more combustion from the same volume, the cooling that releasing compressed gas into the intake delivers is a byproduct and a handy one but it's not the primary purpose.

Potentially explode, the bottle will have a PRV which will likely release before it explodes though, thing is it won't burn.

Nitrous oxide isnt flammible. It breaks down under heat and pressure, and because it's mostly oxygen, you can run a ton more fuel as well. More fuel + More oxygen is more power.
The cooling is a side effect of releasing a compressed gas, and while it makes a bit more power it is not the primary goal of n20 injection.

WHY DO YOU THINK IT HAS THAT VALVE IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU MONGOLOID
>pic related
I think we just disagree on which part of the reaction makes the most difference then m8

All pressure vessels are required to have a PRV to prevent explosive ruptures, this doesn't mean NOS is a fire risk like Oxygen.

>I think we just disagree
Dunno, seems you disagree with yourself;
>I'm aware that such a reaction does happen
>I know this because people always think that NOS will break apex seals on rotaries (it doesn't)

kek, linked the wrong text
>You're also assuming all the nitrous oxide breaks up, which it doesn't.

This guy definitely knows what's he's talking about. Everybody should listen to what he has to say

You know how keyboard cleaner/compressed air cans get really cold. What if you hooked them up to the intake, downstream of the MAF?

>how does it work anyways and what does it actually do
fucking shaking my head, pham

Because, even presuming that air exiting the can remained in a relatively compressed state in relation to atmosphere, you'd have enough forced induction for maybe half a dozen engine revolutions.

I've actually got an add on question to this. How do you tune for nitrous injection anyway? And how do you build an engine to handle it. I'd imagine a forged bottom end is needed, no?

In short, you add fuel in conjunction with NO2, and for the most part NO2 is triggered to be applied with WOT and usually ramped up as opposed to a sudden hit.

What if we use a bunch of them.
1994 eg6 with like 50 cans of compressed air sticking out the hood

more work can be done across a thermodynamic process when there is a greater temperature differential across it.

more work can done per unit time when there is a greater number of reagents

the is a greater volume of nitrogen which will expand at likely a higher pressure, which will also do more work

You should do that.

Thinking the compressed canister makes it an explosive substance. I bet you are the type of retard that runs cheap chinky copies of shit wheels.

You're talking to the retard who thinks Nitrous is only a glorified cold air intake.

Okay guys. I see guys at drag races torching their bottles? Why is that?

Torching?

They take a blow torch to their nos bottles. Like no shit. Sometimes they got that space blanket wrapping. Im too much of a soyboy n/a to ever ask anything but, "c-can you n-not spray t-this time?"

Yeah right, nfi desu

literally two seconds
google.com/search?gl=us&hl=en&pws=0&source=hp&ei=ivk8WvWhEtL-0gSGmr-gCA&q=warming nitrous bottle&oq=warming nitrous bottle&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1.2684.9397.0.9662.29.20.1.4.4.0.432.2257.2-6j1j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..16.13.2275...0j46j0i131k1j0i46k1.0.3EuXqgLkk5M

When the tank is low on fluid or ambient temps are low the pressure drops off and correct pressure is required for correct metering. High-end kits have a pressure controlled tank heater around the bottle to maintain a constant pressure.

Nitrous stands for liquid nitrogen. I don't know why you're talking about oxygen.

I'm going to follow this tripfags advice but can't afford a Nitrous kit so will put a helium kit on my car instead.

The liquid helium will be super chilled when it enters the cylinder and will compress the air. As a bonus effect it will make my engine lighter and get me more horsepower!

lulz

>if that's how it worked we'd just hook up oxygen tanks.

That's what we used to do until we found out just how unstable pure oxygen is, nitrogen is added as a stabilizer you mongo.

I thought you were cool

why can't we just feed bulletproofed engines with alcohol-wet nitrocellulose?

I wonder if we'll ever see GSL-SE-san again?
Fucking LMAO

I know at this stage we're kicking at a dead horse but;
>In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous") allows the engine to burn more fuel by providing more oxygen than air alone, resulting in a more powerful combustion.[citation needed] The gas is not flammable at a low pressure/temperature, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures. Therefore, it often is mixed with another fuel that is easier to deflagrate. Nitrous oxide is a strong oxidant, roughly equivalent to hydrogen peroxide, and much stronger than oxygen gas.

Please refute this

>[citation needed]
[citation needed]

We pretty much do with Nitro

kek, well played
hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0212-supercharging-nitrous-oxide/
>Want more? It will take more air. With supercharging, either by a crank-driven blower or a turbo, we can get more air in the engine. This ups the torque-per-cube output, which equals more horsepower. Nitrous does the same thing, but instead of adding more air, oxygen-rich nitrous oxide is injected to support the combustion process. Nitrous, truly, is liquid horsepower with the ability to boost torque to the limits of an engine’s ability.
hotrod.com/articles/nitrous-vs-supercharger-comparison/
>Just like superchargers shove more air into an engine, nitrous oxide injection makes this happen through the magic of chemistry. Nitrous oxide’s chemical formula is N2O, as it incorporates two nitrogen atoms with one oxygen atom. It is an inert gas, meaning, among other things, that it is not a fuel. However, the one oxygen atom will oxidize additional fuel, which is one key to why nitrous works so well. By injecting measured amounts of nitrous oxide and additional fuel, you can safely make more power.
rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-87-myths-and-misconceptions-about-power-adders/
>Blowers, turbos, and nitrous don’t add power by themselves – they simply increase the oxygen supply in the cylinder and thereby allow more fuel to be burned and more heat to be released. Superchargers achieve this by raising the pressure in the induction system above atmospheric pressure. Nitrous oxide (N2O) works by breaking down at elevated temperature, releasing oxygen. Increasing the oxygen supply, either mechanically with a supercharger or chemically with nitrous oxide, allows the engine to burn more fuel. The energy in this additional fuel is what adds the power.
How do I hold all these citations?