How can I break into IT?

How can I break into IT?

My background is in finance but the over last year I've been working heavily with programming languages with my most recent job. I find it far more satisfying than cranking out shitty spreadsheet reports. The problem is I don't have any credentials to back up my skill set.

Should I get certifications? I don't even mind taking a pay cut if it gives me an opportunity to learn.

Programming is always fun but IT is boring as fuck...

I went to VoTech for A+ and Net+ certifications, got hired at a Help Desk, and quit after 9 years of being passed over for advancements. Now I hate computers and am aiming for a low-tech simple life farming out west.

Aiming more for the programming. Staying away from tech support

IT is nigger tier wagecuckery
Think customer service but with computers.

If you're not aiming to be a Level 1 grunt then youd better move to India since almost all development/enginerring positions in any IT company is outsourced and offshored to pajeets who make $3 usd a day.

I guess let me restate that....I meant programming

My path was data entry to learning SQL. Then I got into some light programming and eventually security making over 6 figures. Get positioned and have a good attitude.

This is the key here:
>eventually

Pay cut? You will take a pay cut that you will probably not like. Unless you can find a job that does programming as well as finance to bridge the career paths, otherwise you will start at the bottom of the ladder. These do exist in trading and banking firms, you would need programming certs to prove proficiency. The advice above about the Pajeet penalty for entering IT is very relevant and is the general landscape though you might beat it with a specific position that you already may have have most of the skills for. HR hiring is about career progression, same in IT as anywhere else

For those other than OP thinking about IT (not programming), don't listen too closely to these guys.

Maybe it depends on your area but I was making 45,000+ at 18 doing helpdesk. By 20 had a comfy ass job that I'm still milking.

Apply to be a network administrator....its a bullshit job you'll be troubleshooting computers and shit but pay is ok and you can take all your certs there as you rank up.

Lie bruh. No one is going to check shit. Just make sure you can do the job, or learn fast.
I've gotten a (programming) job and freelance contracts lying about a degree, the stacks I've worked with, companies I've done work for, etc.

Developers will look down on you if you advertise your A+ or whatever, don't do it.

"IT" is a huge field and despite what people ITT are saying it's more than desktop support.

What do you specifically want to do?

Probably not skilled enough to bullshit my crendials. Also, I don't want to stress about getting caught.

Thanks, you understand. Honestly, I just want something that's relatively low stress and that pays moderately well. I'm not sure if that exists but I'm willing to work up to it.

Analyst positions. Data Analyst. Operations Analyst. Ect.

>relatively low stress and that pays moderately well
Define both of those.

You could go work for a smallish company (500 or so employees), automate everything, and chill. But you'll probably only make 50-70k there and have no room to advance.

Unfortunately, if you want to make decent money you need to work for a big enterprise or for some sort of IT consultant/engineering firm. Pretty easy to make 6 figures - the senior engineer I work under made about $180k last time I asked and he just got another raise. The downside is that you need to know your shit inside and out (whatever "your shit" is) and be able to be a rockstar for your company or your clients.

IMO it's not worth the effort and I'm probably going to start looking for one of those cushy small business jobs I mentioned.

If I can make 80k and 40 hours I'm golden. It'll give me time relax and pursue other things of needed. Right now I make about 70k working 45-50 hours but I hate the work.

To piggy back off of this user; I work in IT (Network Engineer/Sys Admin) and make 75k. If you want low stress, avoid startups and or very small teams/companies. You'll be constantly working and on call in addition to non-stop competition among your peers. Aim for a mid-size company like user here said where duties are fairly balanced among all of the techs and 40 hour work weeks are the norm. I like what I do but I'm fucking miserable working 50-55 hour weeks. I have a newborn baby boy that I want nothing more than to spend more time with man.

have you tried restarting your computer

>falling for the digital jew

Then why are you trying to get into IT?

You could try to get a consultant job in ERP systems like SAP. Your financial background might be helpful, and if you show interest in it they will most likely teach you programming.

i was always thinking about it, there are some jobs that are mostly sap data entry is it a good start?

>I've gotten a (programming) job and freelance contracts lying about a degree, the stacks I've worked with, companies I've done work for, etc.
I have huge problems going into freelance, i mean i worked as programmer for 2-3 years. How to you pitch/sell yourself?

Because he doesn't know what IT is.

Most companies give you a test, there are many decent programmers with no certs. Some branches however you need then.If you want networking, get Cisco certification. Database admin, Oracle and or Microsoft sql certification.

being chad while working in mcdonalds and barebacking sluts like OP's pic > your entire life

I probably wouldn't be dealing with networking or databases. I do like the idea of automating tasks. I think back to all of my old jobs and how fucking tedious most of the tasks were.

Get on a freelancing site like Upwork or Guru and get your chops. There are plenty of small entry-level projects. This is valid on a resume and will make you confident that you can jump into a job and be functional.