/ovg/ - Cheaters Never Prosper Edition

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce you are self!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing rFactor, GTA 4, Forza and AC on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YJp3K3IgMR8
gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_5078444.html
youtu.be/K5LkP9_SOxk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>being interested in computers beyond very basic troubleshooting
nerd

This thread is being invaded by Asphalt 8

meh

Hurr durr pretty colors

crew2 when

Name a better game

the bunch

PGR5 when

what's the best Genki Tokyo Xtreme Racer game?

How do we fix /ovg/?

So apparently Race Room has the best sounds, but isn't the best racing game. Why doesn't Rfactor 2 or AC have more raw and inspiring sounds? Do they not love race cars?

We don't.

Once we get another 5 Geometry Wars

you cant. all online communities have a life cycle and use of chat services external to the community is pretty much guaranteed death
the stare of racing games doesn't help

>the stare of racing games doesn't help
What's wrong with them?

> but isn't the best racing game

citation needed

>He bought into the RR GT3 meme

sims are a mess of different permanent WIP games and daddy Ian's project that splits the community
forza is garbage
gt sport is a total departure from its roots and despite looking interesting hast seemed to be able to hold enough interest for a longterm series here
arcade racing is pretty much dead, old nfs/midnight is never coming back

I just figured out that all of the need for speed games have been hiding on Origin, that's why I couldn't find them on Steam

I see they have Most Wanted 2012, but I also see they have 50 million DLC for it
So what the fuck do I get if I buy just the regular game? Are half the cars taken out compared to the console editions?

>practicing and tweaking set up
>get a good lap time in
>decide to check world record
>off by 2.5 seconds

I don't think it'll ever get better, there's no money in making sim games. Why go to all the effort of laser scanning 10 tracks and spending a billion hours making 40 cars handle perfect, just so 15000 or so simdads can pay you $20 for it? The Forza model where you dump out 700+ cars and however many tracks so 12 billion kids will throw $60 at you is much better in terms of making money.

On arcade racing games, you've kind of missed the boat on crying about that one. I'd argue arcade racing games have been shit since the PS3/360 launched, with a few rare exceptions. Car culture in general has moved away from the NFS/Midnight Club way of doing things, e.g. riced out shitboxes and cringey over the top characters. NFS Payback had the latter and look how that was received. You've got to admit that the NFS Most Wanted 2005 cutscenes look pretty fucking retarded by today's standards (the girl in it is a hottie though desu).

I've never played the GT series beyond the first one, so can't really comment on it. I used to really love the old Forza games, but now that I've got a wheel, Forza 7 plays like a joke compared to something like Assetto Corsa or PC2. I don't really play other racing games like Automobilista and shit as race cars don't interest me that much.

Forza Horizon 3 is great though in my opinion, played it on a 360 controller though. Wish the map was bigger, but it was fun, hit that TDU-feel quite nicely.

They just need to figure out how to get some sim aspects into something like Forza. Like version where the wheel and pedals feel like a good sim instead of me preferring a controller on those games. Like maybe a more sim oriented option, and not sooo many cars as to not be able to emulate them with any sense of realism.

Yeah, Forza already has a lot of magic going on with the controller to iron out player fuckups, I've heard you can lap faster with a controller than on a wheel, don't know if it's true.

Like you say, I don't see why there can't be a "I'm using a wheel, give me proper physics" option. The game is backed by Microsoft and is the Xbox's headline racing game, they no doubt have a fucking huge budget, they could do it.

Also, Forza 7's FFB is a joke, I spent quite a bit of time messing with it but a lot of the time the only indication the car was about to oversteer was seeing it happen.

You miss out on the Movie DLC which includes:
>Dom's Charger, Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, Aston Martin DB5 and DBS, 67 Shelby GT500

The Airport DLC which has:
>An airport, Porsche 918 production model, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW 1M, Audi RS3, Alfa Romeo MiTo

The ultimate Speed pack which has:
>Bugatti Veyron GSV, Hennessey Venom GT Spyder, Lamborghini Aventador J, McLaren F1 LM, Pagani Zonda R

And the NFS Heroes pack which has:
>Eddie's Skyline, BMW M3 GT-R, Lamborghini Diablo SV, Rachel's 350Z, Rose Largo's Porsche 911 GT2.

Plus the Drift game mode, Drift Tyres, and Ram Chassis

>moved away from the NFS
problem is they moved away from the hp2 style too which is probably the best setup for something casual. just turn it on pick a track and do 5 laps in an f50 trying not to get caught and win the race

complexity is killing games imo. it killed battlefeild for me. the move from 3 limited weapon upgrades in bf3 to the full on pimp my gun, tank, knife and jeep of later games just leaves too much to consider. in comparison with hp2, bf1943 was just like that in that it was just hop on and play. the game didnt even limit ammo

basically too much shit to do outside of driving nowadays. maybe we were wrong to bash fh1 for not having tuning

the best games are ones with a relatively simple premise and extremely deep complex/gameplay that you can master over years

like quake 3

>Split/Second will never get its sequel
Remind me why I bother living.

so were these in the original console release, or are these true DLC?
Is it worth it?

BUY RACEROOM GT3

BUY DSTATION

I see where you're coming from, and agree that in general gaming has moved away from simplistic/weird mechanics and it's probably not a good thing. However, I think it's far too easy to be nostalgic about this stuff, there's a lot of older games I've gone back and played only to realise they have 1% the content I thought they had, it creates this problem:

>just turn it on pick a track and do 5 laps in an f50 trying not to get caught and win the race

You end up realising that's fun, but it's the entire game. Games these days have ten thousand times the content that games made between 1995-2005 had, people are much too quick to forget this. Complexity for the sake of it is bad. However, it's not like you can't also just hop in Project Cars 2, pick the McLaren F1 and do a few laps of the Nurburgring if you want to, despite it also having the "complexities" of for example tuning, a career mode etc.

>maybe we were wrong to bash fh1 for not having tuning

Didn't play it, but that sounds retarded. What happens when you take a slow car and dump a turbo V8 in it? Surely with no ability to tune you end up with 600BHP and a car where second gear tops out at 35MPH? Thus, the first three gears are all just wheelspin, you need tuning. Complexity you can't avoid is probably bad. I fucking hate that some of the recent NFS games have a ten minute long unskippable cutscene at the start of them, and the continued trend in video games where they dump you into the game without letting you mess with your video options and controls first. Complexity you can avoid definitely is not bad, it's just additional content you can choose not to expose yourself to, you don't have to tune or paint your car in Forza, you don't have to download mod cars people have made in Assetto Corsa, you don't have to play the career mode in Project Cars 2.

This pretty much, and usually sims are much better than arcade racing games in this regard.

>need for speed most wanted 2012 doesn't have manual transmission mode
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

well assetto corsa was a big disappointment

aside from the retarded layout of every menu, every car i tried felt the same and they all understeered as soon as i fucking looked at the brakes at any speed

refund time!

>buying what is universally agreed to be the worst need for speed game

BUY HER CAR

should i buy Raceroom GT3?

What if racing games charged you in-game money to repair your car?

See

Heck yea

sauce for the video?

youtube.com/watch?v=YJp3K3IgMR8

Theres two or three versions of it

It's impossible. Imagine if someone taps you from behind, and then 2,000,000 bitcoins right down the fucking drain right there.

is this a league or an open server? or just ai?

This is bait.

If serious, drive the Yellowbird, you'll be plowing into walls backwards non-stop and crying. Saying all the cars drive the same is just retarded.

But yes, the menu system is shit.

Its from an 1 hour online race at the Burger King

yeah, I'm remembering why I didn't like it very much
>CRASHED
>CRASHED
>CRASHED
>CRASHED
>CRASHED
>CRASHED

pull the handbrake and durifuto

wait, universally worst? Why's that?

>bait

it's a shit game, average graphics, awful sound effects, garbage physics. trash trash trash.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Ian.

>inb4 bait poster with "Burgerking is most boring track in the world" post.

Yeah I like forza horizon 3. The AI racing is a bit of a joke at times but overall it’s pretty cool getting to fuck around in an open world setting with all these cars.

My biggest complaint is that the handling is too arcadey but it can be tuned to the point of tolerability.

>The AI racing is a bit of a joke at times
>"dude, shall I park in the middle of the road in this drift zone?"
>"yeah bro go for it"
Pisses me off to no end.

I just about lose my mind when it happens and start cursing up a storm. The other thing that has infuriated me is dominating an entire race only for some ai who wasn’t even on my minimap to suddenly shoot past me like an F-15 a few feet before the finish line.

How do i become the next James?

Because it's Burnout Paradise 2: Demixed and shit tier physics

what are some good leagues to join for raceroom lads

raceroomers, rrleagues, racedepartment off the top of my head

>assetto corsa
>can't set time of day any later than 6pm
>can turn on headlights, but they don't actually illuminate the road or environment

What the fuck, you fucks told me this was supposed to be the best game to Dagumi it up.

>He fell for the Assetto Corsa meme

the best game to dagumi it up is rfactor, most of the touge tracks in assetto are ports from rfactor anyways

>rfactor
I keep hearing this meme, does it actually have roadcars? I was under the impression it was just shitty racecars.

You only add a manual transmission when you understand how cars work. Criterion was pretty honest about that across all their games, unlike some other developers

it's the best game based on how it drives, handles and feels

mods

>mods
Where from? Racedepartment only has 18.

am i allowed?

>install AC again
>cut a corner
>don't get the penalty message
>drive off the track
>no cut lap message anywhere
>mfw
wut hapen

Do you have penalties on?

where do i check

Rfactorcentral, nogripracing and trippteam

Thanks family.

>playing AC
>use the car editor to make the yellowbird even more heavily turbocharged
>fire up the snow nurburgring track
>open setup, increase rear tyre PSI to maximum
>try to make it around the track without getting killed

have you tried practicing

>not using content manager

>it's the best game based on how it drives, handles and feels

Feels like the cars are stuck in sludge.

they can't do it because every forza ever made spanning back 12 years has been designed exclusively for the controller, to the point where the physics model is specifically optimized for a controller.

there was a lot of buzz pre-release that turd 10 hired a new wheel guy who even posted regularly on the forums discussing wheel setups. well lo and behold the game comes out, ffb is predictably shit, and the guy hasn't posted in months

It is still the best game to dagumi it up but you just have to compensate and play in the daytime.

gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_5078444.html

Press F to pay respects for the fwd bully squad. Time to find the new meta I guess.

>He doesn't ram others to first
Do you even want to win /ovg/?

>not owning the Vulcan

>no BoP for the atenza Gr4
Best girl confirmed

my money's on the atenza

The gtr lost quite some weight too.

Mega Man: Battle & Chase

you wish it was the atenza

BEST
UPDATE
EVER
GT SPORT IS SAVED

I actually dont want it to be. Tryhards ruining muh car and all that.

why do i have an urge to play this?

What's the best game to play in automatic?

GT4 (and probs later GT games) because you can hold a gear button pressed to force it not to shift automatically which is a neat feature. And some cars (like the SL55, IIRC) have smooth gear shifts like a real world automatic transmission would do, but no kickdown simulation sadly.

Enthusia is good as well. In full on autotragics, even if you are in manual, you can only shift between drive, neutral and reverse.

Anyone seen any improvements to Forza's menus with the new Nvidia driver? Even with a 980 Ti I risk crashing if I scroll through cars too fast.

youtu.be/K5LkP9_SOxk
Bruh... That music is GOAT

post rally webms

you're retarded, the game is at least playable and fun unlike nfs 2015 and payback which actually have the worst driving physics in any game ever created

as a bonus, there's no mindblowingly cringeworthy story to make you want to kill yourself every time you play the game

for real though nfs:hp 2010 was the best latest NFS game, even though it had shit physics the roads complimented them

Everyone keeps forgetting rivals exists.

never played rivals, highly doubt it somehow drives worse than 2015