Roof boxes

i'm prepping for a cross country move, in which i'll be using a wagon and a small 5x8 enclosed uhaul trailer

would a roofbox be a good addition to this or just overkill?

used thule aeroblade crossbars are like $150
used thule 450r feet which is what i need since i have roof rails already, are like $100
a used thule roofbox is around $200 but there are other manufacturers that are almost as good as thule

useful to have in general
hard to store

When I was younger my family used to have 2 on the roof of our Subaru Forrester. Pretty handy for road-trips and car camping, we put bulky lightweight stuff up there, sleeping bags, tent, clothing and dry foods.

Left plenty of room for an ice-chest and other gear inside the car.

If you have a small rear cargo area and plan on having back seat passengers, it is very nice.

>If you have a small rear cargo area and plan on having back seat passengers, it is very nice.
the rear cargo area is quite big and i won't have passengers BUT i do plan to sleep back there instead of getting hotel rooms every night

Well there you go, you might as well buy a used one for your drive and then try to sell it when you're done.

Unless you have the storage space to keep it, like the other user said, when it's not on top if the car it takes up a huge amount of space.

We owned 2 of the nearly 7 foot long ones,even stood up against the wall they took up a massive corner of the garage, we didn't have a garage loft to hang them from.

Roof top boxes are great. I use one when I go road tripping with the guys. We can keep the gear on top so there's room for a cooler full of beer in the car.

Your mileage will suffer more than you're expecting it to.

If you only need it temporarily, looking into a cheaper roof bag instead of a hard roof box.
>muh security!
Roof boxes aren't that secure either, you can punch the lock out on a Thule with a screwdriver in about 10 seconds. Just don't put anything in the roof bag you'd be upset at losing.

Roof boxes are awesome. Like one user said, it makes camping and traveling much easier by keeping shit out of the way. Storing it is the task. Mine is currently propped up against the wall in the spare room, only goes on once or twice a year. Worth it though.

>$50 craigslist special topper box has lasted me 8 years with just a few jb weld/duct tape patches.

just rent a truck and tow your car.

stay in a hotel faggot. after pulling 7+ hours you'll want the comfy bed and free breakfast. Pretty much any hotel outside of a metropolitan area is

uhaul truck + towing my car is $2600 for ten days
renting a 5x8 trailer for ten days is $500
neither of those includes food, gas, and lodging

a hundred bucks a night for 5 or 6 nights is still $500 though
and i have a mattress+bedding to go in the back of my wagon, comfy af

except your wagon won't be heated or cooled all night and you won't have a comfy shower in the morning and you'll have to buy breakfast somewhere. stop being poor.

true, heating will be an issue, i'm going to driving south as far as possible on day one for that reason alone.
no shower and no immediate breakfast are lacking comforts though, yeah.

This is why you never road trip with women.

get a planet fitness membership for showers literally anywhere.

>a hundred bucks a night for 5 or 6 nights is still $500 though
>and i have a mattress+bedding to go in the back of my wagon, comfy af
I can't comprehend being this poor. Protip: your plan to sleep in a car on a road trip is abnormal

considering the cost of apartments in the places i'm moving to is around $1500, meaning at least $3000 upfront for first last and security
gas costs in my car going 3600 miles will be around $500
a roof rack and box will be around $350 to $400
the tow bar i'm going to use has to come from germany and will be like $300 all in
food costs will be like $100 for 6 days

i mean yeah, i'm looking to budget

You're too poor to even be trying something like this. Get your shit together and stop being a broke loser first.

>moving to an expensive place
fuck off, they're already full.

Your company should be at least partially covering your moving costs and helping you find temporary housing while you get settled.
If they didn't even offer that you shouldn't have taken the position.

if you get one, sell the box when you get where you're going but keep the racks, they're handy

seems like all the stuff needed for a roof box is just as expensive as staying in hotels, just store all the stuff you would in the roof box in the back of the wagon and don't sleep in it?