Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UC0JB7TSe49lg56u6qH8y_MQ
youtube.com/channel/UC0fDG3byEcMtbOqPMymDNbw
youtube.com/channel/UCE1jXbVAGJQEORz9nZqb5bQ
youtube.com/channel/UClHz28GrVbkd0-knBNmiwLQ
wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Main_Page
hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/please-stop.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reposting here in case you already moved to this thread.
Ignore the mixels, is too late and I didn't want to bother resizing it, but this will give you a general idea

Show your money

How are levels like the house in resident evil 7 made? Is it all a single object (like you would do in archviz, extrude all the walls etc.), or is everything modular? In that case, how do you accomplish it so that it doesn't look modular?

>he comes to AMATEUR game dev general and talk about muh art, muh pay
>amateur
>pay upfront, fuck collaboration I will jsut do a bunch of art for you and thats it
>amateur
>I'm a free spirited artist, you wont hold me with your dev shackles!
>a m a t e u r
>but dont forget to pay me because I'm starving
> a m a t e u r
>actually pay me now, I made terrible life choice, no job, some kid I got while being a teen, pay up for my drawings!
amateur

They probably plan the outlay of the room/level beforehand and then build the necessary assets and place them accordingly to the plan.

lmao bro just be yourself and pay up front and you'll see your game's sales will be far beyond a measly 10k in the first month! :)

>your game's sales
>amateur
Nigga I do this as a hobby, fuck off

s-stop having fun! you need m-i mean, an artist!

>On/Off
>machines
Shit like that seriously pisses me off.

Why do people get so mad at the idea that an artist might not want to collaborate with them. Wouldn't you just go looking for another artist who does want to work with you, instead?

>all those devs hating money

You generally split it up so that objects which aren't visible can be culled for performance.

There are all sorts you can to do hide modularity.
Vertex painting layered materials and placing decals to hide texture repeats. Having some variants of the 'same' segment (e.g. a 3x1 wall, or a 3x1 with a hole and exposed wood inners) or hand placing unique meshes over the top.

I would assume they value money, since they are not willing to pay for an artist that they don't even need yet.

its not about wanting an artist, its about laughing at faggot artists who act like some precious snowflake.

>penny wise pound foolish

What good would it do them to get art for an incomplete and highly mutable concept?

what are the must listen game design podcasts?

Why would someone look for an artist here? They would go for somewhere actually focused on art.

I wish agdg would stop talking about money all the time. Boy as this palce changed. Years ago it was jsut about making games and some goofing around, these days its mostly about "how do I make money guys, how do I kickstart, how do I pander to people?" and all the variant of collab/1MA shit.

Just like make fucking game, if you dont want to do amateur stuff then why the fuck are you here, seek real contact or find real videogame jobs.

no-one wants to collaborate with a shitter that is completely impossible to verify because they never posts their portfolio

I don't think there are any. Interviews, GDC talks, various game design channels, that's the best I can find to dev to.

if i could draw id instantly pander to degenerates

nice get

got any links? i want something i can listen to at work.

videos seem to be a little too short form

Congrats, you have no self-respect!

how about now tried making him not look sleepy

Now he is at least not looking like a little baby with mustache.

GDC
youtube.com/channel/UC0JB7TSe49lg56u6qH8y_MQ

Some of these are pleasant just as gamedev background noise, but also good interviews and game design
Noclip
youtube.com/channel/UC0fDG3byEcMtbOqPMymDNbw
Ahoy
youtube.com/channel/UCE1jXbVAGJQEORz9nZqb5bQ

I also like G4Icons
youtube.com/channel/UClHz28GrVbkd0-knBNmiwLQ

>I also like G4Icons
>youtube.com/channel/UClHz28GrVbkd0-knBNmiwLQ
Should stress this is a must watch unless you're a baby in which case you might not remember or care about any of the games or devs covered, still great history lessons though

Someone want some free low res animated art? It'll be much lower quality than this and I may not deliver, but it's free.
Just show me your game and what you want.

thanks senpai

the man fix is right here

portfolio
>It'll be much lower quality than this and I may not deliver, but it's free.
we have all the reason to assume it's not your art

>asking for portfolio in an amateur general
top kek

>UE4
I have stationary point light and "cast shadows" is turned on on my objects. Still, I see no shadows. Does anybody know how to solve this? Googling didn't help me.

Well it's amateur, not I opened Photoshop for the first time.

make light moveable or build lighting

I'm going to make game.

In python.

>portfolio
>for free amateur art
Look, I'm not fussed if you don't want to take my offer.

having a game in c++ but running with python is actually very good. But yeah, dont build your games 100% out of python, its not well suited for that, unless we're taking about some very simple mobile game.

Either way thats like my opinion so good luck user!

This wiki deserves more love. It's been 2 years and a lot has changed.
wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Main_Page

Don't mind me, just testing some snow blocks with rocks in them. You can't destroy those, unlike ice blocks.

Why is snow indestructible, you ask?
It's the rocks. Rocks make the snow indestructible. Is common logic.

They look like cow blocks honestly.

Maybe they're just cow blocks in disguise.

Posting some weapons

This

Please stop.

make a gunblade

no

Hm, it does work when I make it moveable, although the radius is a lot shorter. Do you know why stationary doesn't work, though? I heard those are the best, and moveables have the worst render time.

And I could swear the shadows worked before, but I don't know what could have I changed.

Maybe they should look similar to this

When it was stationary, did you rebuild the lighting?

Is it only that light or do you just have no shadows anywhere?

I dont get it

dude, go to photojoiner and fucking put all of this in one pic instead of spamming like that

Stationary lights still cast shadows with unbuilt lighting

>crisp texture
>goofy, cartoon-ish shape
nah

based tibia

I need an artist in me life

Isn't that only for dynamic objects?

Offtopic old web comic.
In America in some schools they taught us to defend ourselves by saying "Please stop" to bullies instead of always running to the teacher or getting in fights. This meant you could say "Please stop" to anyone who was disagreeing with you and sometimes it would work because they were afraid to get in trouble for bullying you
>please stop not giving me your toy
>please stop not liking me
It actually worked, usually against girls because they're afraid of getting in trouble

I'll take that in consideration and thanks for the suggestion.

worked on the fighter model a bit and game it some materials. had to make it fatter to fit the camera inside the glass but i think it looks okay
also a hacked together planet environment. pain in the ass to set up so im not sure how common this will be but it helps to see the game in its intended setting

hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/please-stop.html

it's getting late going to have to continue this tomorrow. got to make sure that this and the mc portrait look stylistically consistent

I'm really looking forward to this game.
Do you have a tumblr user?

just wondering why you're bothering with those particles since 99% of the time you wont see them.

No, while lighting isn't built they should basically look like movable lights

You should be warned that now that you've shrunk the eyes per gogem's suggestion he is going to take credit for 100% of your game.

thank you user.
as for tumblr, yeah but i havent posted on it for many months and it was for an old game. once i have enough to show for this ill start posting progress there and share it
its gonna be a vr (most likely) space dogfighting game. youll be seeing them a lot more once there's other ships and itll make figuring out where they're going in the distance easier. plus it makes the game look more lively since there's little going on right now

>once there's other ships
oh ok, make sense!

I literally rebuild lighting after every tweak, so don't think that's the problem.

Shadows exist when I use that spotlight in the left hall. But if I put a stationary point light in a scene, all shadows dissapear.

This is how it looks like with 2 moveable point lights and a spotlight, shadows are pretty fucked up too for some reason.

Moveables have the worst render time because they provide dynamic shadows.

Who wants to be a puzzle level designer?
Do a good enough work and we might revshare.

I just now read it this morning.
Sorry.

it wasnt my suggestion, it was 3 previous peoples obvious suggestion and he still hasnt shrunk them enough to not look like a child, he also hasnt rectangled up the face yet.

PLEASE STOP

I've been working for two days on the stupid car physics and it's working quite well.Tomorrow I'll work on the analog controls since steering and accelerating with keyboard is a pain in the ass.
No more coding for today though, my head is starting to feel dizzy.

Are there going to be planets you can explore, with real orbits? That would be cool.

Hm, actually... I've removed the spotlight from the scene and readded a point light. Everything works correctly now. So the spotlight might be the cause of a problem for some reason...

Stationary lights also do

>Are there going to be planets you can explore, with real orbits?
I dunno about that. I want to keep the scope pretty simple and its my first real 3d game so complex stuff like that may be too much for me right now

Weren't you banned for posting your loli game again?

Does the output log/lighting result say anything?

>he doesn't hard code vertex data into his source files

please desist

Actually I do

immediate mode was the best ogl 1.1 4ever

Oops, forgot to post webm.

Post was deleted and prob just got a warning.

To the user who asked what "SFML Game Development by example" is like yesterday:

It's not that good of an overview afterall, it doesn't give any information about vertexes,vertex arrays and UV transformations,so you can forget about learning how to do particle effects out of the book and importing tmx tiles through tmx lite efficiently. The book is fat because the guy abstracts everything, even the window class, but its scope is actually smaller than the 250 page SFML Game Development book.
The only plus side of the book I found is that it uses an entity component system instead of the hierarchical inheritance based entity system, but you can learn that from online tuts anyway.

On/off is at least vague enough to let you be creative with the theme, unlike pretentious shit like "you're not the main character" and extremely restrictive themes like "1HP".

>he doesn't hard code vertex data into his shader source files