Hi Veeky Forums. Total noob here. I perused the catalog but didn’t see anything that really qualified for my post...

Hi Veeky Forums. Total noob here. I perused the catalog but didn’t see anything that really qualified for my post. Basically I was hoping for some advice on the Ford Bronco. It’s a dumb little dream I’ve always had to get one, and I know the new ones are due for 2020, but the older ones have that aesthetic I love. Like pic related. Basically, is the price reasonable to repair them/keep up with them? (obviously dependent on the condition I get it). Or are they just a cesspool I’ll dump tons of money into and it’ll never really be in good running condition for years to come?

They can be both. Dependant on what area you reside, they can crumble into a pile of rust. You'll get what you pay for.

Thanks bud. Are there any infamous problems with them?

The steering piston rotor usually goes out and it costs 10 grand to replace. If you don't replace it, the steering wheel could stop working at highway speeds

8 mpg

Yikes ok good to know.

Lol thanks. Thankfully I’m making enough money now to where I don’t mind.

Steering piston rotor, ten grand to replace, stop working at highway speeds.

Wtf did I just read

The ramblings of a retard

Owned a 1991 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer or however you spell that for almost a decade. Had the non HO 5.0 V8 and the crappy E4OD transmission. The transmission had to be rebuilt a year after buying it because all the forward gears took a dump and even after that it would still sometimes get confused as to which gear it wanted to go in. The 5.0 is a dream, plenty of torque for towing shit and super reliable never gave me one problem and I hardly ever changed the oil. What I liked least about this truck was it's size. It's huge, cumbersome to drive and just feels heavy as fuck. Overall would buy again but I bought this truck thinking I was a truck guy only to realize I like tiny gay hatchbacks more. Merry Christmas, m8

this is a lie

there is literaly nothing on a bronco that costs 10 grand to replace

Eddie Bauer poster here.
About cost of ownership, like another user wrote it really depends on the condition of the Bronco you buy. Mine was in really good condition besides the transmission taking a dump and even that the rebuild cost me $1000 and these trucks share everything with the Ford F150s so parts were super cheap and like I said before the 5.0 is dead nuts reliable, don't know much about the 5.8 but they are both Windsor engines so I assume the 5.8 is just as good.

Thanks, hearing that you would get one again is reassuring

Oh I definitely would, plus I think now that Ford is coming out with a new one the nostalgia of the old ones will probably start bringing their prices up. I just got tired of driving a huge vehicle but it's a great truck just get the one in the best condition you can.

Don't exaggerate, fuel consumption isn't that bad.

With a 351w and a holley 700DP in an '85 on 33"s, 4.10 gears and a 6" lift I'm still getting 9.5mpg.
One of these days I'll drop the double pumper for a nice 500-600 cfm vacuum secondary and crack double-digit mpg's...

With my 302 I get 12 - 14 mpg.

Idk if they are common problems, but my transmission pan gasket leaked, and the thermostat housing gasket leaked. Vacuum lines crumble and these Broncos need those to be in good working condition for the 4wd to kick in.
Best vehicle I may have ever owned though.

My 351/E40D F250 on 33's gets 14 on the highway, but it does have 3.55's.

All of this is common shit on a 30 year old vehicle. And who owns a Bronco and dosn't swap in manual hubs?

16 when I bought it. Can't say I knew much then.

>steering piston rotor
You fucking wut m8
That isn't even a thing and nothing on a bronco cost 10 grand to replace for 10 grand you could get a new power train for it
Broncos are generally a great truck to have there usually cheap and in stock form there ok but the aftermarket community is Extremely abundant
I wouldn't want one with a 5.0 I would try to find one with a 351 but even then if you can't you could literally swap what ever you want into it

Bronco has the aerodynamics of a barn.
Theoretical top speed is like 87 mph. I've been to 85 towing a small uhaul trailer- it was probably the only thing keeping me in a straight line, like the tail on a kite.
My original 300ci big six with the electronic feedback carb had the highest mpg rating of any bronco (14/17 iirc) but I swapped up after losing a screw that wound up embedded in a piston.

I don't remember what year/model bronco it was, but one was actually rated at 11mpg city, 11 mpg highway...

I've heard of power steering/tire rod issues, but they're fairly rare around here so I've yet to work on one.
The mileage is generally awful, but any SUV that age isn't going to see much more than 12-14.
>dem Ford trannies
>slow

Be ready to replace electrical and hoses.

But they are attractive trucks, the Chevy Blazer is comparable if you're just looking for that kind of style.

The TTB is probably the thing I'd worry most about. If it drives straight, the front end is tight and it doesn't eat tires, leave it the fuck alone.

t. Radius arm has been broken for half a decade on my plow Bronco.

Get a gen 1 explorer instead. Smoller, still 4x4, better mileage, can pull parts off of Rangers in the junkyard, and I won't be one of the only guys on here with one anymore so I can feel less lonely. Just get a manual cuz the autos on them were grenades from what I hear

My buddy went through a bad divorce and lost everything. He got a 92(?) Eddie Bauer for 2500 bucks and it was the funnest fucking car I've been in. You can romp anywhere in those fucking tanks. His lasted to 300k before the engine quit but before that it ran strong and he ran that thing hard. Even the original power windows still work.

If you have the money do it, you won't regret it. The only real problems ive heard of was the rust situation right beneath the rear tailgate, apparently they all have it.

Dont listen to this cunt:

Original Eddie Bauer guy here again, the rust at the bottom of the tail gate was a bad Ford design. The rubber seals on the tailgate window dry rot and when it rains let water into the tailgate and it just pools down there. I replaced mine with a brand new tailgate from Bronco Graveyard and drilled a few holes on the bottom to let any water that might get down there out. That's the only rust my Bronco had originally came with. This thread is making me miss mine but I enjoyed her for 9 years. Got a FIST now that I love. OP, pull the trigger and get the best one you can. Broncos are the shit.

what a shitty suggestion

1st gen explorer is a shit tier alternative, garbage vehicle

stop puking such niggerish advice

Jesus dude, its like 30 minutes to change a radius arm.

I have the only rust free bronco in existence. Gotta love the southwest desert and 4 inches of annual rainfall.
Wheel wells, floorboards and ya, tailgate are all areas that rust.
Stock they have an awesome turning radius, but larger tires destroy that.
Rough country lifts suck.
Rancho are better.
Autofab setups are Godly.

Well I can tell you a little bit about the Bronco 2, the mini Bronco as it's sometimes known.

I bought a non-running one a few weeks ago for $750, the motor was able to fire and run but only for about 45 seconds before it would die. The interior was in perfect condition(guy had the headliner re-done, probably for about $600) and the frame didn't have too much rust so I knew I was getting a great deal.

I got a new battery and a remanufactured alternator and it fired up right away and runs fine. But it still drives like shit. It needs 4 new tires, it needs all the steering bushings replaced, it needs all it's suspension bushings replaced, it needs new brakes, it needs a new transmission mount, it needs to have its stupid fucking 3 inch lift kit removed.

Needs an alignment, needs a cooling system flush(came with rusty hosewater in the rad), needs all gear oils changed, needs new differential gaskets.

It needs new spark plugs, it needs a new engine fan, it needs a new radiator. Turn signals don't work. Rear hatch doesn't stay open(needs new piston struts)

It basically needs and incredible amount of time/work and a fairly decent amount of money beforw it will be in any condition to take for a road trip.

I got it running for under 300, and I plan to do 100% of the work it needs at home by myself. So for me it's going to be a cheap and fun project.

Are you going to have a shop do repairs?

If you aren't able to do anything like I mentioned, then you are gonna have a bad time.

Unless you like throwing money at other people to have them fix your problems, then go for it!

Just get an XJ or 4runner

More Bronco II shit. It's basically a Ford Ranger with back seats instead of a pickup bed.

I really like mine, it's going to be a totally custom camping car, and its the only one in my local area that isn't being sold as a parts car or have the price jacked up to $5000(not joking, fucking people want that much for a 1990 Ford mini-truck)

I ripped out the air conditioning in mine first thing right away. It robs the engine of power because it has to turn the belt for the compressor. I don't ever use it, takes up a shitton of space, condenser blocks airflow to the radiator, evaporator housing takes up half the engine bay.

I was able to find a non-AC 1991 Ford ranger at the picknpull, took the heater box and installed it in my B2, and it fits prefectly.

Can't wait to get it on the freeway and see how badly it's gonna rollover and kill me and my passengers.

Broncos are my favorite, although fir my needs I tend to stick to the same generations of F-series trucks which share a majority of parts.

I’ll be the first to admit that it isn’t the most practical vehicle, more of a Swiss army approach - it can do anything well, it can be your daily driver person hauler or a work truck but it’s not a great choice for either. The top comes off (although it’s a huge pita) and you can buy or build a pop top camper for more room, and soft tops are made that can come off within minutes.

The drivetrain is solid with the exception of the E4Of auto trans. It can work for the life of the vehicle but if it overheats it’s toast. Trans cooler is mandatory. The C6 auto transmission is tougher but it’s only a 3 speed, they were available until mid 80s. 8.8 rear axle is fine but some off-roaders prefer the 9.0 that came in 70s and early 80s Broncos.

If you can find a 4.9l straight six mated to a 5 speed jump on it. Mostly they will be equipped with a 5.0 v8 or a 5.8 v8 which are the same family of engines, the 5.8 is just a beefy 5.0. If mileage is your concern, get the 5.0. Neither engine is stellar in terms of power but both are eminently reliable if properly maintained.

The TTB suspension gets a bad rap, and like any other axle, they are shit if not taken care of. There’s not much flex but a pretty comfy ride for a 90s 4x4. Dana 44 solid axle can be swapped in relatively easily. There are also 4 door centurion models but are rare as hens teeth.

Bottom line it’s a great truck and if you think you’ll like it you’ll most likely love it. 4x4s tend to be driven hard, find an unmodified one WITHOUT a lift kit. Never trust Bubbas lift. Try to get a manual transfer case and hubs, but those can be swapped in. You can go to any junkyard and nab parts from a similar year f150. I’d love to own an adventure Bronco someday.

ive had 2 seprate buddys buy and regret haveing a bronco now they were the bronco 2 which I guess is worse then the orginal bronco but but ive heard nothing but bad things from anyone who has bought one second hand

Yeah, read my posts above, Bronco 2's are not the same engines, don't hold the resale value or have the aftermarket support that the full-size Bronco has.

Unless you're mechanically inclined and don't mind it sitting for a few days in pieces all over the yard, it's not a good daily/frequent-offroader.

I've got disposable income and 2 other cars to drive so my B2 is just a little redneck side project, but I'll still put money into my Honda for a total engine rebuild before I tear into the V6 in the B2.

I've thought about getting a bronco (or a K5 blazer or ramcharger) but there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle road in the market.
Most everything I can find is either a pristine collector or a rusted out hulk.

Don't get a ram charger unless you're a die hard dodge fan with plenty of experience on dodges with a garage full of extra dodge parts already.
Bronco and blazer are really just different versions of the same truck- they even use some of the same basic parts (Dana 44 front gearsets and new process transfer cases)- whereas the ram charger just has the same basic silhouette- the shell doesn't even come off.

>being this mad
user there's no need to be jealous :^)

Bronco IIs, from my experience, tend to be one of the great hit or miss cars. You get one that's either bombproof or a complete dog but there isn't much middle ground.