Just like make game with good art!

> Next Demo Day 16
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16

> Play Demo Day 15
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Helpful links
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: (Cross-thread)
Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

lostgarden.com/2016/11/autumn-of-indie-game-markets.html
patents.google.com/patent/GB0609242D0/en?q=sudokube&assignee=Alford David C
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Let's post some good progress.

is it sad that i was browsing /egg/ thinking it was /agdg/ for at least 5 min?

yeah I shouldn't have put "best", really just looking for some advice for dialog implementation and handling user input (yes/no dialog, multiple options)

holy shit

oh you

wow amazing tool

I enjoyed this

the birth of a new meme

include me in the screenshot EKSSS DEEE

std::shared_pointer name;

>std::shared_pointer name;

type* name always seemed more intuitive.
For example, int* name seems like it's declaring a variable of type "pointer to int", whereas int *name seems like it's declaring an int called "*name". But that's just me being a tard I guess.

Heavily depends on the type of game, type of styling you're going for, etc.

If you're really that barren for ideas just look at some games in the same genre...

It's C being a tard

Anyone know what's supposed to go in here? This is an enemy's healthbar.
For the player's healthbar I have 'Get Player Character' and it works and it's the same exact setup as this but casted to the FirstPersonCharacter. But what about for non-player characters?

Trying to search for terms like 'actor', 'object', the name of the object itself, 'self', 'get', the object class, etc., don't bring up anything that works.

>std::shared_pointer
it's std::shared_ptr, btw, and you should default to unique_ptr unless it actually needs to be shared.

Totally not a low res purple spear soldier.

>c++

>c--

It exists though, as an intermediate language for the haskell compiler

>not using HolyC

As always, progress is slow. Latest development is a properly panning camera, it wasn't intended for the main map but I quite like the effect regardless and might keep it here. I also managed to fix a few minor things.

Theres so much groundwork that has to be laid for this dumbass battle system, but I'll get there evntually.

bretty cool. what are you using?

Looks like game maker.

Yeah I'd recognize those zeros anywhere

Do visual novels count as games?
if so, ive spent the last two days coding shit in renpy.
its relaxing, but im nowhere near as good at writing as i always liked to think i was.

In my mind visual novels only count as games if they have more interactivity than just text choices.

Is it just me or has the indie scene slowed down recently? It seemed it was all the rage a few years ago, but now it went back to cult status. Which is kinda cool, i guess.

>post progress
>"I said GOOD progress, user"

That thing is fucking spooky.

is this a legitimate question, or is this some dumb meme i missed

It's a legitimate question but I just lazily crossposted someone else's post from /indie/.

yeah, im not cool enough to have any real gameplay in there.
im trying to write it so the choices actually do effect shit, since theres nothing i loathe more than VN's where the player isnt given any effect on the plot, but its probably gonna become a really tangled tree the more i try to add.

Numerically it's bigger than ever in terms of number of devs, number of games, budgets of "indie" games. Maybe the buzz has died down. But be careful that you're not extrapolating a personal shift of viewpoint into an industrywide trend. If you got your start any time since the indie boom, you're gonna be biased towards the year you started. Same goes if you were in high school or college during the indie boom, your perception will be skewed.

There are real trends at play here, of course.lostgarden.com/2016/11/autumn-of-indie-game-markets.html

its really crazy how you dont realize just how massive something is until youre literally right there
too bad the planet thing wont work unless i can squeeze a little more draw distance out of android. i ended up losing the ship i was fooling around with because of that
i know it looks really shitty from the video but for some reason its different when youre there

also any unity devs have experience with usb controllers and android? i cant get the triggers to work and the right analog stick is all kinds of fucked. ive tried both the combined and individual axis for the triggers as well as both the windows and linux versions of the axis

looking really good user. im always a fan of high mobility in fps games. might wanna tone down the motion blur a lot though.

>budgets of "indie" games

>tfw other indie devs have budgets while you're still running on potato vodka

indie just means not under the jackboot of a publisher

image_xscale = -1 bugs my sprite and makes it look stretched, is there an alternative to flip the sprite when you turn around?

So Risk of Rain isn't indie then, because it was published by chucklefish

indie games can be published by a publisher they just can't be owned by a publisher

Thanks. I turned the fps down to 24 to make the motion blur pop out more for that extra cinematic effect. At higher fps you don't even notice it.

>TFW no qt enginedev loli gf
Why live bros?

3D Wins

ah, that's not nearly as bad.

what is this?
and how do i get it?

there could be a drizzle 2: the next dimension

This one wins the "I have zero idea what the fuck is going on" award.

i cant wait to play that.

kek
sequel to risk of rain. hopoo posts on the discord sometimes

Okay so i had this totally epic idea for a game and itll be totally awesome
its like, an open world mmo with dialouge trees and gun customization and space ships
who wants to help me make it
i cant code or draw or model or anything but ive got some great ideas

Made it so player-inputted numbers have a different font from game-generated numbers. Still need to add pencilmarks and figure out how they'll fit into the UI.

No idea if this will solve your problem, but you should use *= -1 instead of setting it to -1. If your scale was originally .5, setting it to -1 would make it twice as wide.

>not Sudokube

>not sudokube

getting dialogue trees working, chat basics are pretty much done and i'm moving on to menus/trading next

is game maker good if i wanted to attempt to make simple 2d games? i'll move onto bigger projects later on

Looks cool user, glad you're still working on this.
yes

not him but genius

Already taken by another product.

cubokube

Predictive lookahead pathfinding seems to work - the ship is too snappy but it wouldn't make it through otherwise - don't intend to have anything that clustered in the game anyways.

Thanks to all the anons who helped with the vector math.

>not making it a linux exclusive called sudo kube

Mac has sudo too

silly user. macs dont exist

Hmm, maybe this game is good. I'll check the website
>made with wix

Oh shit, hold on a second. The patent for Sudokube ran out. Hell, I'm pretty sure patents don't protect naming conventions anyway.

patents.google.com/patent/GB0609242D0/en?q=sudokube&assignee=Alford David C

I'll have to do some research on whether or not I can take that name. I'd love to, since that was the original name for the project.

When I'm calculating an angle between two vectors in Unity, is there a way to determine if it's a negative angle?

Trademarks protect names

Here's a hint: an angle -x is equivalent to the angle 360 - x
You want to wrap the difference between the angles to between -180 and 180

what's the problem you're trying to solve?

This is using degrees of course, radians would be 2 * pi instead of 360

spent hours to draw a 4 frame running animation and it's not even that great.

what is your main priority while deving??
getting the core gameplay element out?
just do whatever you feels like doing??
i felt like i lack focus and have no idea what i should work on first.

Why does the catalog show me /egg/ when I search for /agdg/?

get the core VALUE of your game done. for most of us here, that's the gameplay. if your game's main value is the art and it's a paint by numbers genre game, you can get the art right first.

Because you're an egg head

Yeah I was going to say what this user said, I downloaded a character sprite from the links in OP and will make my own if I actually make a half decent game.

>downloaded GM:S and established an LLC
ready to gamedev

Their autism condensed like a supernova, and after some fight with /hsg/ they melted like a nuclear reactor and this is the result.

Enjoy your debt

My current priority is "how do I get the gameplay I want in this damn engine?"

Time to bully some nodev ass.

jesus and then we complain about agdg

Veeky Forums in general is a cancerous cesspool

I d

thanks to boku engineering devs are talking shit about us.

>soku sprites
I see you decided to use my idea for RNG decks! You owe me 5 ideabux

i did this thing i hit enter to early because I'm retarded, i don't know what I'm doing with it.

I just did it with a cross product instead.

Working on plant enemy. Only a few hours of work tomorrow and the rest of the day is free, so I should get it completely textured and animated by the end of the day

I will only return to /agdg/ when I have progress.

leave forever

No wonder we barely get moderation.

So long user, you will (not) be missed.

I've seen the few jannies assigned to this hellhole snap and fucking purge the whole board on occasion.

Oh shit, you are right. I can't believe i never noticed the picture i used to model the bow was left handed

Some of the shitposters in this thread are janitors. Only the extremely mentally ill would want to turn this shit heap into a job that doesn't pay.