Where would you guys buy an OBD1 scan tool?

So I am rebuilding my Mkiv and I hit a snag but need an OBD1 scan tool that also reads air, fuel, etc. Snap on and Mac have a crazy expensive, big unit but I don't need that.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/slp/obd1-scanner/5bkvna52tdhk6yj
suprastore.com/mapecu.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

P.s. that's not my car nor is it I or any of my compatriots. For the record.

amazon.com/slp/obd1-scanner/5bkvna52tdhk6yj

Not trying to be an asshole but are you recommending something specific or letting me know about online shopping?

shouldnt all scan tools for >$100 read this? although, i know some german cars need specific scan tools to work properly. probably not the golf though but I would call the dealershit in your area to make sure.

>golf 4
It has obd2.
I think OP's pic is related.

i know its obd2 but I remember hearing some shit about certain german cars requiring what equates to "dealership keys" for scanners to get all the data. again, probably not for the golf but it never hurts to check BEFORE buying a useless tool

You're going to pay out the ass for an OBD1 tool that supports live data. If such a thing even exists for what you're working on.

Oh. My. God.

OBD1 codes are read by a jump wire in the right terminal and paying attention to what lights it flashes at you.

Anything after 95 is obd2.

The literal state of Veeky Forums

And out of curiosity, what do you mean rebuilding? You have no useful knowledge of what you are working on by the way you phrase your question.

You are most likely looking for the VAG specific reader that you will either pay big bucks for or go to the dealership for,. because you own a Volkswagen. You signed up for this when you bought a retarded backwards engineered fwd piece of shit.

Once again, your thread makes me hurt.

You literally do not know enough about what you are talking about to know how to reference the right codes you need to pull.

I bought a Mactool scan tool used for under $300 canadian...check out kijiji/craigslist/whatever your country uses to sell used shit...

Kind of but you are thinking of it backwards. There is certain information that the OBD port has to show, that's why the standardization was made in the first place.

And then a lot of manufacturers will have their own separate diagnostic port that shows more information. Sometimes you'll need a new tool and sometimes you'll just need an OBD2 to diagnostic port adapter for your regular OBD2 scan tool.

To clarify some things it's a 93 Toyota Supra. It gets confusing because in 93 that was technically the last year of the Mkiii, mine is technically worded from Toyota, a 1993.5. It's the new body style but the first year for it.
I did get the code. It's a code 14 igniter signal not reaching ECU.
And by rebuild it was a salvage title that I bought and am restoring and don't know where I'm losing the signal I replace the igniter and the distributor already that's why I need the scan tool to see where it's failing.
I hope that helps I appreciate you guys giving me your input.
Fun fact: did you know that stock Toyota Supra side skirts are $1,400 a piece new and no one sells used ones or remanufactured ones that I have found. obviously not related just sayin.

Here she is. Its a work I. Progress mind you and the MOLDED sides and rear came with it... AND they painted over original Anthracite Metallic to that custom red.

There's also a service port on the computer of OBD1 cars to plug in devices (like a reader) so you can skip the flashing light crap and actually read everything the system is reporting.
My piggyback system was $550.
It not only has real-time data acquisition of all electronic systems (tps, MAF, o2's etc) but overrides the factory maps so I can reprogram to compensate for new components.

>welcome to Veeky Forums, where there's always someone with more experience than YOU

Oh shit thanks man, that bypass will come in handy. The snap on essentially told me to buy an adapter for the make model and year and just use my shop Foreman's tool but it's like one step forward two steps back. Where did you get that one?

You'll need to source one for your manufacturer.
The massive snap-on versions and such have adapter plugs and different internal coding to read various brands of cars.
I'm more familiar with domestics, but all brands have a service plug for dealer service.
But search for "supra piggyback ecu" and you'll find stuff.
Here's an example.
suprastore.com/mapecu.html

BTW, programming a piggyback ecu is A BITCH.
Its a lot of information and one map will alter how another one functions.
>modify injector size/flow rate map
>now map for (enrich under accel) has to be leaned out-
since it was based on time of pulse width (open/close) for smaller injectors. And that's just two out of about 200 maps that have to play nice together.

It's either the wire from the igniter or bad ECU.

>bad ECU
that was the news that i did not want to get or want to think was the issue.
>inb4 the wires just fucked up
heres hoping.

>painted over original anthracite
>sacrificed for that ugly piece of shit