What is a good "beginner" car for someone looking to buy and maintain a 90s Japanese car?

What is a good "beginner" car for someone looking to buy and maintain a 90s Japanese car?

I'm still relatively new to all of this, but I don't have any hobbies or expensive interests and now that I can afford it, I would like to start looking into it further. I'm looking for something that is maximum 8.000€ and can be used during Scandinavian winters.

From what I've seen, old Imprezas and Evos are the most commonly available here in Europe, but considering their age and the species of drivers they attract, I'm worried about how I should approach all of this.

I'm sorry if this is a frequent annoying question.

Thanks.

Forgot to add that it is NOT my first car I will be owning nor am I a new driver.

Corolla

>maximum 8,000 Euros

So scratch most of that off your list.

imprezas are really good starters because the availability of parts is really good due to the fact everyone drove a shitbox impreza so they produced alot of parts and still do. most things are pretty easy to do besides valve covers and spark plugs. its going to be the only thing viable for winters in the north too besides a evo. the only thing that sucks about imprezas is you cant really make big power until you replace the paper mache 5 speed

You want a 4 wheel drive, so Subaru is your only choice for that money
Get a 2liter GX impreza and up.

This is what I was thinking.

Are there any particular year models I should look out for or avoid?
What would make it a better choice over an Evo of the same decade other than parts availability?

Thank you.

Why do you even bother driving a sports car during a scandinavian winter?

None of the 4WD machines are "beginner" level of maintenance and wrenching

the GD chassis is really the best they ever made. they are safe compared to the 90s deathtrap of the GC, but they arent super pigfat like the GR and whatever the fuck the modern ones are called. they have massive aftermarket support and have all the things you want out of a modern car without any of the computer assisted bullshit

Well I will still drive it the rest of the year too? Scandinavian winters aren't year-round, but it's just something I have to keep in mind.

fd rx7 with the stock twins

NA MIATA
A

M
I
A
T
A

Miata

Nissan 240sx/Sylvia

Daihatsu Feroza. The little elephant is incredibly tough and simple to wrench on.

RUST!

they're almost extinct

Avoid 2.5 litre N/As, these are the years where the head gasket design was heavily flawed.

3k civic

Prelude
Legend
Celica

Just get a 350z has decent power reliable or at least more reliable than a turbo car and its not that common

hello

not even as a joke, they're great cars

this, get a celica or a prelude

Stay away from the 3kgts, they're mine.