/arena/ - Arena FPS General

"1.2 soon r-right?" edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Pastebin with download links for FREE GAMES: pastebin.com/NzQifF9b

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

Fragged thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/prbshechka/status/890916877463146496
youtube.com/watch?v=5eY-BH53LRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fJTPSJkZZt8
youtube.com/watch?v=wF4Aztw6lMY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is this the place where I go to to be obnoxious about my sexual tastes, using characters that happen to be in AFPS as an excuse to do so?

roflex

No for that I would recommend a very large bridge to jump off of.

how do we make 3 bad threads in a row

very carefully

Yes.

how come Clutch doesn't have a small health pool and massive starting and max armor to reflect his robotic nature

hehe

what do the reflex devs even do

jerk off

to sorlag lewds

oh jesus

neck yourselves

polite sage

rude bump

Navi going to sponsor a Q:C squad.

twitter.com/prbshechka/status/890916877463146496

which sac team will they get? I think it will be Xron´s squad

When does diabotical release? And is it f2p can't find shit on their kick starter

wont be f2p and no releasedate yet

Fuck these stupid nu-esport games, I'll make my own.

define "nu-esport"

seems like there is another ability reward for visor, anyone else got this? cant find it in my medals page

shooting range
3 kills during sight

which one is that?
and what is the other?
or is the right one seer?

Right one is seer.

>"heros"
>cluttered maps
>ugly graphics
>rng
>bad netcode
>tiny hitboxes with fast adad
>little to no sound cues, ie "HUH"

all of these are either subjective or straight up incorrect

I recall last thread someone mentioning that the game checks hitreg clientside. Could all our netcode problems be as simple as Bethesda's client is a shit, and if id had made their own or used steam this wouldn't have happened?

>netcode is fine

Post /arena/-kino
youtube.com/watch?v=5eY-BH53LRQ

Wasn't there a Machinima called 'Arena' or something, it's Doom3guy's trek through the Arenas?

>playin corrupted keep
>go to rl
>win engagement at rl
>stand at rl, dip over to megahealth occasionally
>win gaem

gud mode

>play qc
>hit rail
>win gaem

>play quake 3
>hit 100 dmg rail
>win gaem

Bridge to rail, right?

>play cpma
>hit rail, instant switch to lg
>win gaem

instant switch after firing a rail? user are you drunk?

>play q2
>instant switch to redeemer
>win match

He's retarded and never actually played CPMA. What you do is get two ticks of damage with LG then switch to rail to kill a fresh spawn.

>play QW
>hit rocket, instant switch to super nailgun
>win tournament

the cooldown is a part of firing the rail
the weapon switch is instant
technically not in the wrong

I thought SNG was trash in Q1/QW Just like in QC

Is this where I go to discuss Lawbreakers

btdubs Quake Champions sucks ass

get out cliffyb

Man I just want to complain to someone that they nerfed the shit out of Juggernaut but barely touched Wraith

They ended up making Wraith even stronger because nothing can threaten him at close range anymore

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US CLIFFY WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE UT GREAT AGAIN?

but lawbreakers is actually fun and moderately new instead of a pathetic attempt to rebuild a game whose design is entirely outdated

>play FPS
>click on head
>win gaem

You crossed the line senpai

nice try cliffyb

You're only mad because deep down you agree with me desu

paragon or tf2 general is more your style

played the alpha almost two years ago, since then they have added healthpacks and more maps

Outdated would imply that it is no longer appealing which is entirely untrue, it's just that devs don't give a shit and the community is very, very, fractured. With as much success as Wolfenstein and D44M had (both of which are ancient IPs one with a very different style of play) you would think id could do well with Quake, instead we get a massive dumpsterfire that is 'working as intended'

>He's retarded and never actually played CPMA.

1v1 me right now bitch. Garden of War, High res, let's fucking do this shit pussy ass crabnigga

fuck off ZTK

>Outdated would imply that it is no longer appealing
user these threads typically get maybe 30 unique posters.

As much as I loved it at the time, Quake III design is absolutely unappealing in a modern setting.

UT would do better than Quake with a straight graphics upgrade but at the end of the day FPS conventions have changed.

One of the reasons I like Lawbreakers so much is that it's fast and has a high skill ceiling like older arena shooters but still incorporates more modern design choices like having various classes and not requiring you to master obtuse movement mechanics to stand a snowball's chance in hell

How would UT do better when Quake objectively has a larger playerbase than every UT game?

>Quake objectively has a larger playerbase

literally irrelevant because the quake """playerbase""" consists of stubborn autists who refuse to play anything than their particular flavor of a 20+ year old dead game

>How would UT do better
In a modern setting UT would do better purely because of the lower skill floor.

>the more quotes you use, the more convincing you are

yeah they made like 3 seasons but had to cancel the 4th.

spot the guy who never got better than "average" in any arena shooter.

In a modern setting, Quake Live has more players than any UT game while UT4 is free and new with modern graphics.

not an argument

not arguments, and have nothing to do with the truth that quake players wouldn't be satisfied with any new quake because they refuse to play anything other than the same thing they'd been playing for decades

quake live has more players than ut4, but it is still dead. every other quake is even deader. there is literally no reason to listen to the quake "playerbase" because they practically don't exist, and they're not going to be happy with a new quake anyway regardless of how good it is

lawbreakers is still not arena fps

i've never played lawbreakers and don't know shit about it, so i can't say

let's consult the minimum arena checklist, things that absolutely must be present to be considered an arena shooter:

respawning health pickups?
respawning weapon pickups?
ffa deathmatch?
duels?

i havent played lawbreakers so i don't know if it has these things

You forgot another important aspect of afps, that being advanced movement, which Lawbreakers definitely has.
For the moment, it currently only has team based modes, and I doubt that's ever going to change (save for possibly an addition of ffa). No respawning weapon pickups, as every weapon is tied to individual classes, but it has respawning health pickups (as well as a healing station in each team's base).

>play cpma
>hit every rail
>win gaem

youtube.com/watch?v=fJTPSJkZZt8

daily reminder xero is a nigger

Law Breakers is definitely not an AFPS in the classic sense.

Honestly it looks bad. It has all this focus on classes and roles, but the movement will make all of that a clusterfuck and make it impossible to coordinate and make hitscan the only viable thing to use at high levels, since there is no way you will ever be remotely close to the ground and air control is insane.

Its definitely closer to Overwatch than to Quake. Except probably more chaotic.

Its also way too built around teams, I think FFA or Duel is 100% out of the question

yea i really was just listing the absolute minimum list in the sense that any game not satisfying one of those things i listed could never be called an arena fps.

but yes, assuming those things are met then obviously advanced movement is the next thing, though off the top of my head the only games that would weed out are shit like halo

really shouldn't even be called arena fps in the first place, should just call it quakeclones or UT, since those are basically the only examples. (i wouldn't classify tribes as an afps since it's kinda its own thing)

>Lower skill ceiling
Did you ever even play a UT that wasn't 99? UT has a lower skill ceiling on map control, but higher on combat. The games are just different.

A finished and released game has more players than an unmarketed half finished game. Shocking, isn't it?

>make hitscan the only viable thing to use
I keep hearing this, "pick hitscan to win"

Everyone has a hitscan except medic and assassin

>lower skill ceiling
That's not what I said. I said UT has a lower skill floor.

Skill floor and skill ceiling are two different things.

Ah, sorry, I misread.

there is honestly nothing more nutty than hitting back to back rails in cpma

the arena fps format predates Quake and UT

are you banned from cpma channel

Godspeed, /arena/

Corrupted Keep is the best duel map, both in terms of enjoyment, and in terms gameplay, simply because it doesn't have a railgun. The whole game would be better off without it.

best free arena shooter?

CPMA, Warsow, nQuake, Q2, and UT4 are all good free ones

it's not that it's trash, it's that it's balanced for single player and the rocket launcher and thunderbolt shit so hard on every other weapon that they become useless

tiered weapons make TDM/2on2s more fun desu

Cube 2 Sauerbraten
Or you could just check the OP and download what's there.
Also, thanks user from the last thread for making this image.

vore tournament

Last thread had around 80, but theres like around 15 of us who post consistently and about 4 who lurk constantly. QC tried to incorporate modern FPS conventions but fucked it up, it's very doable to make QC a good game but id seems intent on fucking themselves in the ass as hard as possible so when Todd asks why they spent 1mil and didn't get shit for it they at least can say they enjoyed it.

What's the red one with the skull, Diabotical?

Think so, haven't played it yet.

Truly the Boku No Pico of AFPS

Why aren't you playing Wickland?

youtube.com/watch?v=wF4Aztw6lMY

Looks interesting actually, never heard of it though.

Nyx is not for eating like that user