Magic bullet

ok, so im doing a 1uz-fe swap into a 4x4 jeep. problem is i don't know of any transmission that will bolt up to that block that excepts a transfer case, if i use an integral transfer case. so, engine is already mounted in vehicle for reference. need a trans that won't explode from torque and either help me pick an offset external t-case or help me pick a trans where the t-case bolts on.
>tl;dr
>what trans bolts up to 1uz-fe that can do 4x4?

Other urls found in this thread:

materials.unsw.edu.au/tutorials/online-tutorials/2ductile-brittle-transition
oaji.net/articles/2014/1511-1419830589.pdf
youtu.be/tm3-ku-rIiU
pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/2172794-lexus-1uz-fe-v8-xj-cherokee-project.html#/topics/2172794
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You'd have an easier time, and likely cheaper, simply getting the trans and t-case you want/can get your hands on, and having an adapter plate made.

easier, maybe. cheaper? i doubt it. im broke as a bent dick. need to find cheapest solution. hence magic bullet.

Toyota R154 will bolt onto a 1UZ with a readily available bellhousing adapter and handle the power, I don't know if it will accept a transfer case.

100 Series landcruisers came with the 2UZ which should be the same bellhousing as the 1UZ, so a transmission off that would theoretically fit.

R154 & W58s you will need a specific bellhousing adaptor or custom bellhousing for either one. Some people do a bellhousing adaptor plate with a Hydraulic throughout bearing and others use a fork and basic throwout bearing.
R154 are pretty hard to come by around where i live nowadays. Youre better off with a w58. Those are pretty common. The r154 can take more power though.

i found a junked out old supra at my local scrap yard and they don't know what they have, so i could probably get it for next to nothing.

If its the turboed 3rd gen then it has an r154. Those things are super expensive now. 300-500 would be a very good deal.
If its a non turboed with the w58 i wouldnt want to pay more than 300$ really.

I don't know why you want to do this but you should look into the Hilux boys who do this swap often.

Oh shit i just realized you are outting the thing in a jeep. In that case you probably want to get a tacoma trans mission and transfercase.

hilux sounds cool, but doesn't make as much power. i mean, i want more power with less weight. my 4.0 already makes 190hp. the hilux makes 90 less hp and the same amount of torque as what i have now. so unless there's some magic i can perform on the engine to make it 300hp like the 1UZ, then that's not viable.

Use the lexus or landcruiser 1uz gearbox

You misunderstand my post:
>I don't know why you would want to 1uz swap your jeep (isn't there some American V8 more commonly swapped?)
>BUT (in Aus) people often swap 1uz into Hilux with a 4WD transfer case, look into how they do it

V8 is more common, which is why i don't want it. i want to make something a little more special. also, a lot of V8's that make that kind of power are really heavy. im looking for something a little more bang for buck, weight to power ratio. i will look into how they do the swap. i'd love to have a diesel, but the common one's here weigh like 900 to 1,000 pounds and that would rip my chassis to pieces regardless of the suspension.

Why the fuck would you even use that trash engine when you can get an LS for 500 bucks ready to go?

because everyone and their brother has an LS swapped something. boring as shit. i'm honestly just fucking tired of the way it sounds. i want something unique. call me snowflake all you want, but i want something no one has that makes the kind of power i want and the 1UZ is notorious for being unkillable. i've heard stories of then hitting 500k miles regularly, they're real big overseas and shit. i want something better than my jeep 4.0 while retaining the reliability.

LS engines are trash, the modular and the sbf are better

>it's reliable
So is a fucking LS lol, they hit 500k regularly.
They also make more power than your Toyota shit v8 stock, while being cheaper and easier to upgrade as well as working right off the bat without having to make adapter plates and shit.
Lmfao

>"because everyone and their brother has an LS swapped something. boring as shit. i'm honestly just fucking tired of the way it sounds. i want something unique"

Who do you know with an LS swapped car irl?
Show me pics

Also isn't that just a testament to how practical it is?
LS is cheap and powerful and reliable, and here you are trying to avoid it, so strange

Autism

Not an argument

Did someone with a LS/SC400 fuck your boyfriend or something? Every single thread about the 1UZ engine you're in there throwing a tantrum.

just don't reply and report every post

it's 9:30 on christmas and i got this laptop today and have no photos. but, my coworker has an LS wrangler, my cousin has an LS miata, my best friends mom has an LS powered firebird(gen 2). that's all i know personally, but it's so overdone it's ridiculous.

Literally still not an argument

uhm. i discovered this engine like a month ago, it's not my favorite by far. i think you're mistaking me(OP) for someone else.

Sounds like they're smart, follow their lead and enjoy fast and cheap and reliable.
Maybe even toss a turbo on later and tickle 5-600hp for pocket change

stay mad dogfucker

i'm putting it in a unibody cherokee, that much HP would tear that body to shreds. that's why i'm only aiming for 300. i don't need super performance and if i LS swap only to run 300, there are better swaps because there's shit out there that weighs way less than an LS and produces the numbers i want. LIKE THE 1UZ.

Sperg more furfag

Not an argument tho...
>that much would tear the body to shreds
I think you have no idea what you're talking about...
I don't expect this project to ever take place since you're this stupid.

That was suppose to be a reply to the tripfag jizztotting over the LS lmao

How much is too much for a transfer case for you? Cork Equipment out Batavia, OH did all my KA24DE swap for a little under $2k

it's 2wd at the moment so i could supplement with a different T-case. i have a set of dana axles to toss under it, so it's really just about how much the frame can take.

oh, shit, i thought you said for my transfer case, not for a transfer case. i'd spend 850 on a t-case if i needed to.

ok, well after about 40 hours of research on the XJ unibody and how to stiffen it up, i've read reports from shit tons of people who have told me that if you throw more than 400hp at an XJ will tear the fucker to shreds because it flexes too much and cracks. it's even worse in cold weather like michigan, the place i live. there's a reason that there is a huge aftermarket for frame stiffeners and tie-ins. the core support folds, the steering box will rip off because it was mounted to fucking aluminum. if you wanna tell someone they're stupid and inept, then i guess you're welcome to it, i don't care. just stop shitposting.

That shit will all happen regardless of power when you wheel hard, why does cold weather weaken frames?
Explain this.
Why does power rip the steering box off?
What does power have to do with steering?

well, cold steel bends less and is more brittle, you're more likely to bend something in the summer and more likely to crack something in the winter and once something has a crack, water will collect in it, freeze and expand and make it worse. when the vehicle torques over, it flexes the plate the steering box attaches to and it breaks. this is all shit that has happened and does happen.

>he thinks cold relative to the human body is cold enough to embrittle steel
>he thinks an LS will tear apart his frame
You don't know shit about metallurgy and it's painful to read

>use 2wd trans
>get mount an independant np205 behind it
problem fucking solved

.....i'm a blacksmith. as a living. god, kill me now?

i was thinking about this too.

its literaly the cheapest and easiest way to do it

So you forge metal at -80c?

Trip, I like you, but you're wrong here. Steel gets brittle in the cold.

>materials.unsw.edu.au/tutorials/online-tutorials/2ductile-brittle-transition
>For some steels the transition temperature can be around 0°C, and in winter the temperature in some parts of the world can be below this. As a result, some steel structures are very likely to fail in winter.

Not a single actual number was given in that, literally all it says is low temps can make steel brittle, well no shit.

no, that's called coldrolling and usually doesn't stay cold for long because the particles inside the metal expand and stretch, like if you bend metal back and forth, it'll get hot. forging is what happens when you heat metal and shape it.

Well it depends heavily on the alloy of steel that you're talking about. The point is that steel can and does get brittle at temperatures moderately colder than human body temperature. This is documented and has been known about for kind of a long time.

If you want numbers, here you go.
oaji.net/articles/2014/1511-1419830589.pdf

Cold rolling is cold relative to hot rolling, not cold relative to your body temperature...

Mild steel makes the transition to brittle around -50c, when are you ever in -50c temps?

Note that the mild steel used in this test loses literally half of its ductility between 0 C and -20 C.

Refer to

>Michigan
It happens over a pretty wide range too. It doesn't just suddenly turn into glass. Even losing 10% of ductile properties is a huge deal in the frame of an offroad vehicle. As mentioned before, tiny cracks hold water and that water will freeze, expand, and spall your frame to death if the road salt doesn't kill it first.

>10% is a huge deal
Lmfao if 10% is a big deal you're already fucked with no margin of safety

when i'm driving and wind chills at 60 mph drops the temperature 50 degrees below ambient? also, why can't you just respect the fact i don't want to build with an LS? i know you love the engine and i respect it, it works well, i just don't want that.

I totally trust an excel chart gif over a 10 page peer reviewed lab paper.

Wind chill affects your body because the wind will strip you of heat, wind chill doesn't matter to things that aren't alive...

An LS in an XJ is fucking stupid anyway.

Fucking lol this dude thinks wind chill will actually lower temperates below the actual temperature.
>bruh I'm a blacksmith and I think cold rolled means actually cold not just room temperature and cold relative to hot
>bruh wind chill means I can get a piece of steel to -50 when it's 0c out just by blowing on it
This is sad

what the fuck, trips now quads?

uh, well. tell that to every trucker who can idle all night but when they drive down the road, their diesel gells over

also, if that were the case, why do wind tunnels freeze over in the summer time if the ambient air outside is above freezing?

wow you guys are stupid
windchill is not felt by inanimate objects

Moist air can actually do that with condensation cooling. Boundary layer disruption is also a thing that happens.

Nobody thinks cold rolling happens at cryogenic temperatures.

Why are you even still in here?

Well yeah the wind will strip heat from the tank, it's not actually lowering the temperature more than it is outside though.
You literally cannot make -50c from anything but -50c air

This
God it's bad when prezo is on point

literally when am i not
i'm the most intelligent poster on Veeky Forums by far

ok, well, it's irrelevant. i'mnot going to argue physics. it doesn't matter to me. all im saying is that i don't want an LS. that's what this is. i do not want an LS. i don't care if you disagree with me. it's like arguing mopar or chevy, it doesn't matter. do you have ANYTHING useful to this thread?

stop replying

That's still not even the point.

The point is that some alloys of steel commonly used in car frames can lose ductility in arctic temperatures. We've known about this for many years. Derail into fluid dynamics if you really want to, but you're still wrong too.

>30 replies about nothing to do with the OP's question
I don't know shit about transmissions, sorry.

OP is probably better off looking on a Jeep forum.

Which Jeep? The XJ Cherokee's AW-4 trans will bolt up to a 1UZ with the right bellhousing, shit the AW4 will bolt to a 2JZ with the right bellhousing

>2JZ
>XJ
>4WD

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

it is an XJ. 94 two door with the 4.0 and the AX15 trans.

2jz is cool, but alot of work and money to make them awesome.

youtu.be/tm3-ku-rIiU
Here you go buddy, go nuts
pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/2172794-lexus-1uz-fe-v8-xj-cherokee-project.html#/topics/2172794

IT'S SO WRONG BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH

Basically the Aisin Warner transmissions that were in the XJs will bolt to Toyota engines because Aisin made their transmissions
That R154 suprafags talk a out? Aisin
As a matter of fact the AW4 is essentially a A340E with a transfer case

*least intelligent
ftfy loool

someone should make a meme for how obsessed alphonse is with prezo

thank you jesus. marry christmas. i love you.

You got that backwards lol. prezo has been following Alphonse around all day top kek

ikr

>mfw i actually kept prezo up

lel, merry christmas man, you're lucky I saw this thread
This topic isn't usually discussed here

You need an r151f or an R150f. Same box, different first gear ratios. They'll handle anything you throw at it. I think you might need an adaptor kit, marks have them as do others. Box can be pulled from V6 4runners and diesel Toyota surf's. Also Prado's and LCs. If you're in Australia I can sell you one, if you're elsewhere you'll need to figure out which cars in your domestic market have them. R151f is preferred due to gearing.

There's a bunch of info on marlin crawler about this box. The 1uz/r15X swap is the most common 4wd V8 Toyota swap in Australia.

Nah man, he's a yank like me, I got him sorted here

i got it figured out. thank you though. i appreciate the thought. and i'm not a yank. i'm canadian. i just happen to live in the US. merry christmas.
>i don't understand time zones so idk if that has already happened, is happening or is christmas tomorrow.

Fucking kill yourself, degenerate trash.

He's a degenerate piece of shit furry. Also a faggot. A complete abomination of a human being, so anything he says is immediately irrelevant.

It WOULD tear the body to shreds. Holy shit you are fucking dumb.

is he notorious on Veeky Forums? i've been off for a long time, my computer broke last year and i just now got a new one. if i'd known he was scum, i would have disregarded anything his neckbeard having ass said anyhow.

right? unibody on xj's were pretty fucking fragile. im lucky that mine is nearly cherry with next to no rust, i have something solid to work with.

Yeah no he's pretty much always like this.

He's our resident furfag that brags about his LS swapped Volvo 240, yet stupidly poses a webm that he made from his GoPro that shows him spinning out and almost over a cliff at low speeds because he thinks he's the furry Takumi

Holy shit that gif is him?

Wow.

Not an argument.

Not an argument.

No it wouldn't you fucking idiot

I'm not wrong lol

Pretty much always right, correct.

Sorry I don't watch your stupid fucking animes so I don't know who you're talking abount

>if I believe I'm right hard enough, it'll be true
There's like 6 people in here saying you're incorrect, and you're really not that smart to begin with.

Fuck off you wretched, AIDS-ridden little faggot.

>shits up Veeky Forums namefagging and not
>doesn't know who Takumi is
I've unfortunately seen you here long enough that you don't have to actually watch Initial D to know the reference you fucking liar

You have two issues:

1) You're trying to use a snowflake engine in a non-stock application.

2) You're using a base (XJ) that doesn't accept engine swaps as readily as framed trucks, and will require extra work (regardless of non-stock swaps)

Doing all the work for another 50 horse is not worth it. Know a guy that ended up sinking 7k into a 1uz swap into his toyota pickup, just "to keep it toyota." Seriously consider other swaps, or building a 4.6/4.7 stroker motor.

If you're serious, I've only seen the 1uz swapped in place of a 22r, and it involved swapping out the whole driveline. He endued up adapting a custom built W56 (from maulin crawlers I think?) to retain 4x4, and ended up spending more than two SBC swaps.