What do people making $50k-$85k drive?

What do people making $50k-$85k drive?

Working on earning my Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems so I can become a Computer Systems Analyst and that's the typical salary range.

I may go on the cheap end and get a $5k Honda Accord and just work on getting an FC and R32 for weekend funsies.

>I may go on the cheap end and get a $5k Honda Accord
I make $70k and this is what I wish I had done. I financed a $29,000 car. It's a fun car, but car payments fucking suck and you really should save money to buy property as fast as you possibly can.

Buy a reliable safety box and a 1980's FR manual shitbox that you can wrench on and learn with.

Do not finance a new car. I know you're going to make a ton of money and you can technically afford it, but your life will be so much easier if you don't go into more debt than you absolutely have to. Trust me.

idk I'm a gardener lol

Nah, man, I already got it all planned out:

Move into a house where the monthly mortgage is less than $900, continue to drive my shitty Kia until I have enough to purchase a 7th or 8th gen Accord (preferably a V6 manual) and go from there. I'll get the FC first, work on that on the weekends, while saving up on an R32 GT-R.

you can get an R32 or a C4 Vette for cheaps these days. better scoop one up before they appreciate

>Corvette

As much as I like Covettes, I don't love them like I do Skylines.

yeah same, but the C4 just screams 80's retrofuture. I love it to death, it's my dream car, even though it's cheap...

That's why I'm getting an FC - it's an 80s car I want.

I mean, the R32 is an 80s car, but it's not a hatchback with pop ups.

>spending more than a month’s post-tax income on a car

Why are you on this board, then? Take your bike back to /n/.

heres a redpill; dont subscribe to trends of your social class. buy a car you like below your budget and save your money every month like youre making a car payment to yourself.

>$850 for mortgage
>$300 for utilities and internet
>$250 for car insurance
>$150 for fuel
>$100 for food
>$3,350 for savings

Sounds like a good monthly budget plan.

My Dad brought a Hyundai Getz for his last job. The car cost $250, plus $1200 getting it fixed at a mechanic. He was making about $100k, which is lower than his last few jobs. This isn't a humble brag; he's just a good example of higher earners being careful with their money. It's always the mid earners I see blowing $25k on a car.

Although he did have a ridiculously expensive weekend car/project car, which I'm realising is the norm for a lot of rich dudes.

Oh, shit - I forgot about paying off financial aid.

Not OP but to be honest the only thing keeping me going at this point is the second I get my degree and get a job in said field I’m marching down to my local dodge stealership and taking the first Dodge Challenger Hellcat I fucking see
Shits my dream car man

I pull in 70k-90k

Just got a 35k car for me.

>$100 food per month

Holy fuck. If you're in the 9 to 5 grind, treat yourself to more than $3 worth of food a day.

On the same budget do

>$300 utility and internet
>$200 car insurance
>$300 fuel because you drive a V8
>$600 in grocery + eating out
>$200-500 other living expenses
>$250 into blue chip stocks and $250 in high interest savings (10% income)
>funnel the rest into paying off mortgage as quickly as possible

$100/month for food?

>triple or quadruple that if you live in Canada

V6, user - this is my dream, not yours.

Sure, I could put down $3,350 towards the mortgage and pay it off in 4 years.

I live in metro Atlanta.

>made 85k last year
>Still dd a beat to shit 1992 f150

>you really should save money to buy property as fast as you possibly can

why the hell would you do this
why would a single childless man buy residential housing??

They usually drive pic related

T. Office parking is filled with these cuck mobiles

>mfw I park my manchild coupes in the front spot on occasion to trigger the normies walking in

I make $50 an hour, and have a diesel pickup, convertible, SUV and classic German sedan. They are all reasonably nice examples and in great mechanical shape, but collectively the total purchase price for my fleet was under $20,000 (and nothing newer than 1999). So for the price of one new vehicle, I get to pick from four totally different driving experiences.

I enjoy what I have and don't regret it, but you have to like working on stuff. If you don't actively enjoy turning wrenches with a beer and a shop stereo playing music, get something new

u really gonna pay rent paycheck to paycheck until you're 50?

Jesus here in France with a Master Degree in Engineering the salary is 32-38 k€ holy shit what a difference

you won't make that much. it's a lie. enjoy your minimum wage helpdesk position

also, why not engineering or CS instead something that's basically seen as CS-lite?

They may not teach this in college anymore but when you earn money you have to pay taxes, so go ahead and take 40% of that money you are hoping to make away from your calculations

I make 80k a year and I drive a car I bought new for 24k.

>garage for toys and tools
>home theatre room
>woodworking room
>bigass master bedroom for fuck and suck
>make as much noise as you want
Dumbass

Nerds always go for muh practical so yeah it's a grey CUV or 5 door cuckback if it's not a prius.
If you buy in the right location it's an appreciating asset, and you'll be protected from sudden rent spikes, so you'll be able to plan your finances a bit better, invest, etc. I wish I'd have been able to do that before medical bills nearly bankrupted me, and now I'm living paycheck to paycheck on $90k/y because rents here suddenly went through the fucking roof. So, now I'm paying about $2K/month in rent while my friends with nice big houses are paying like $1300/month, and I can't get into a house because my credit is fucked from the medical bills. America fuck yeah!

>why would a single childless man buy residential housing??
I bought a house as a single guy.

I wanted a garage, space, and the ability to build equity. It also gives you a nice head-start if you decide to start a family a few years down the road.

It also ties you to an area and severely limits job opportunities in many fields. To each their own, both have upsides and downsides.

Save all your money

>mortgage out duplex, rent out other side
>buy 5k car
>save money for more homes to rent out
>bam you know have 10 luxury rental properties (possible with 85k job)
>THEN buy GT-R

You also can quit your 9-5 job and work 10 hours a week.

I make about 150k and I drive a 2005 LeSabre because I don’t give a single fuck.

>It also ties you to an area and severely limits job opportunities
This is true, it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a house if you don't plan on staying put for a bit. I think the breakeven time is about 5 years on a house (assuming a 30-year mortgage). I've been with the same employer since I graduated, but someone who plans on switching jobs in the near future is probably better off renting.

Awww shit, nigga. Where? I’m up in Lawrenceville area.

I'm in a similar situation. I also think that when you factor in interest and all the other fees that go on top, it could end up being cheaper to rent for X years to save up a bigger down payment than to go for the minimum and get gouged over time on mortgage payments.

Ya, if you foresee moving around for jobs, definitely rent. An option i did was renting homes instead of apartments.

When my salary was in that range I drove a NB miata

I make $90k in DC and drive a Scion XB. I'm looking to import either a Mitsubishi Delica or Toyata Hiace.

60k, 92 miata

West metro

Not sure if General Hux or a middle aged lesbian at the wheel.

Guys is it better to save up and pay a car in cash, or finance it? I already have property

I want to solve problems, not create them.

Yeah, I probably would have to, since I'll be making over $30k.

I've been getting tax refunds, in the last 10 years.

Why do you guys spend $20k+ on cars? You can get an already well maintained 3 series BMW and maintain it for the rest of its life cycle for under 10k (assuming you do your own wrenching)

Plenty doctors and lawyers be drivin Honda Accrud and Toyota Camary

Your car should not be more than 2% your net worth. This is why Amerka in debt, 99% of the population has no business driving the shit they do. Eveyrone 1k shitbox only unless you're a multimillionaire, then maybe an entry level lexus

This is why the poor stay poor

Because we're fucking car enthusiasts?

Remember which board you're on, user.

Modern cars are gay though

The FC and R32 are over 25 years old, user.

Currently making $62k/yr doing logistics and I drive an 2013 Accord Sport.

$1k is still too much for most people based on your logic.

Some people like driving cars that aren't constantly breaking down/needing service.

Just pay as little as possible and put your money on a weekend car. Don't buy something cool just to have it sit in traffic and build up boring miles

I work in a similar field to you and make $55K/yr with an associate's degree. My official title is "Network Engineer", though I do a bit of everything.

I daily drive my 2004 Corvette and couldn't be much happier. If I were you I'd daily drive something you really enjoy. I've never really agreed with the mindset of daily driving something cheap and economical then having a fun car for just the weekends. I've done that before, and found I always just drove the fun car anyway.

Only exception to that would be if you life in an area with a ton of snowfall and your idea of a fun car isn't a Raptor or something capable in the snow.

Tell me about it.

>$900 1990 Honda Accord
This car was the reason why I became desperate enough to get a fucking credit card and put myself in debt.

In hindsight, I should have gotten a second job a lot sooner.

So, you're suggesting I should just keep my 04 Kia Optima as my dd and have enough money leftover to participate in racing events? Now you're fucking talking!

I plan on owning a FWD, RWD, and AWD car.

OP
I'm a software engineer. I make ~$70k.

I drive a Golf GTI.
The senior developer drives a 2002 Honda Civic.
My boss's boss makes ~150k. He drives a Toyota Tundra.

Don't buy a flashy car.
Flashy cars are for poor people.

Tundras can be fucking expensive though. Have you seen how much they go for with any kind of options packages?

>Don't buy a flashy car.
>Flashy cars are for poor people.
I don't understand why half of the people in this thread post on Veeky Forums.

All at the same time? For snow or what? If you have an AWD and RWD car I'm not sure what benefit a FWD car could offer you.

My preference is RWD. It's just so much damn fun, and encourages learning how to actually drive intelligently rather than just going crazy around corners and having AWD save you. I do see the appeal to AWD, but I admit I don't see any benefit for FWD cars aside from lower cost and lighter weight.

I make 88k
I just bought a new 2018 wrx sti
I also own 4 other cars that are paid for
supra, 300zx, crx, civic

They max out at like $55k from what's listed on Toyota's website, but that's with the 5.7L v8, leather seats, all the safety bs, etc.

Buying a flash car because it's flashy is the most pedestrian thing you can do.
It's what poor people do to pretend they have money.

This is pretty good advice, don't overspend on a car. $60k or whatever is really good for a young guy starting out but it's not big money overall. Buy a W202 or W210 Benz if you want something FR that won't cost a fortune and is ok to work on. Nice cars, fun, ok to daily, cheap.

The FWD will be my dd - pay attention to my op.

why would you do is when cs pays so much more? at my school the difference is like 4 programming classes and an couple of hard math classes

I don't think I'm smart enough (or care enough) to learn that much math,

True - a car is a depreciating asset, treat it like that. I make 6 figures and my car + motorcycle together is under $5k. You can have nice fun stuff if you work on it a bit.

Don't be like this guy:
Or this guy:
Be this guy:
Or this guy:

Okay but why do you need three different drivetrain layouts? If you want to daily drive a FWD car for some reason, why do you need an AWD *and* RWD car too? At that point, you might as well just get a fun pickup with selective 4WD so you can have practical 4WD and fun RWD in the same package.

Holy fucking shit, user, what do you fucking care? It's a personal preference because I fucking love Skylines and RX-7s!

why not at least try, is an extra 60k a year not worth actually trying in college .
lol If your trying to be a software dev and don't like math find something else buddy

>what
Why*

I mean, I could try - I got high B's in Algebra A and B, in high school, and I'm having to take remedial math, since it's been 10 years since I graduated and I scored too low on the math portion of the placement test, so I COULD do it. I can be quite ambitious once I set my mind on something.

But I don't really care about how much money I make, as long as I make enough to afford my basic needs, as well as my desires, and making at least $60k will fulfill all of that.

This user gets it OP

Just drive what makes you happy and fits your lifestyle choice at that particular moment of time in your life

That is my plan.

you can afford a base Jeep Grand Cherokee lease if your rent isn't too high. or a new CR-V

$105k

2011 LS460

Was $22k

Was making $85 at time of purchase

What if I buy a flashy car because I like that car, can comfortably afford it, and don't care about appearances?

If you have that much money then some sour grapes fag on Veeky Forums is irrelevant
Also,
>wants a flashy car
>doesn't care about appearance

Let him drive his Fiat Abarth Spider.

I mean caring about appearances to others. I'd buy a car because I personally like how it looks or drives.
Speaking of sour grapes, I've noticed that this board seems keen on going all sour grapes over what other people have or want. Is it because cars are an expensive hobby or are Veeky Forums-fags just really, really poor?

I'm at the end of my arch program and gearing up to take my AREs
make little under 60k/yr as a architectural designer and cad monkey
I have a bike, a turbo mx5, and an older tundra
usually drive the truck or my gfs bmw
when I get a bigger house with bigger garage ill find a different project car to abuse and throw money at
new cars are a meme

>Is it because cars are an expensive hobby or are Veeky Forums-fags just really, really poor?
Yes

Fuck it - I'm buying a warehouse and live in a shed.

Poorfags that claim to make big bucks

I currently make $1,500-$2,000 delivering pizzas in my Kia.

Monthly

Hey I take offense to that. They're sexy

I'm only teasing.

Here in Chile its the same. However our life cost it's low and we dont have explosive Muhammad in every corner. We do have commies tho

the only decent fiat tbqhf

As the autistic fool who posted it, I 100% agree

I'm a CS grad making ~70k just out of college.

I drive a 235k-mile '95 miata that I got for $2,200 10 years ago.

PS. CIS is for pussies who can't handle CS (highest dropout rate of any major in most countries/unis).

P.P.S. Get an internship in college or you won't get any job after graduating.

as opposed to paying maintenance and property tax?