How much work do you yourself on your car and what do you let the mechanic do?

The only thing I let the mechanic mess with is the exhaust

My cousin died because he tried doing it himself and basically had an exhaust leak right next to where he gets his A/C and you can figure out the rest

All myself.
Don't hesitate in conning the old man to give me a hand for a slab of beer to give me a hand.

A wiring issue and alignment, besides that I do the rest. Tranny swap/engine swap/ rear end i can rebuild my self.

exhaust leaks scare the fuck out of me.

do those home use fire alerts work for this purpose too? I'd put one of these in my car then because then

last thing i let a mechanic do was take seized rear hubs off my car

anything that you'd need specific machinery for.
If I can do it with an engine hoist, a few jacks, and some spanners then I'll do it myself.

Yep. Got roped in to helping a mate do a few trips up and down the island to sort out his living arrangement and move a couple shells, started to nod off (passenger) on the way there and he asked to swap on the way back because he was feeling a bit sleepy too. It wasn't overly hot or boring or anything, so that lit something up in the back of my mind. Gasket was almost completely fucked and warped to shit. No wonder.

Machine work just because I don't have access to a machine shop, and installing windshields. Everything else I do myself

I don't do body work, glazing or tires.

This. Do everything myself except shit I don't have the space/equipment for, like glass work, CNC machining or anything that requires the vehicle to be on an actual lift that you don't have enough room to do with just jackstands (which isn't many things, granted).

Actually saving now to build a larger shop with 16 ft ceilings to accommodate a good hoist

I do as much as I can less the tools are too expensive or there's a good chance of me fucking it up.

I'll do pretty much everything but wiring and engine/transmission building. I also get my A/C recharged at a local shop because I don't trust those canister gauges and they have a good rate for me.

I do every single thing except bore and surface the block.
Boring machines are just too expensive

I'll tackle about anything myself. Except suspension work, fuck that. Anything beyond replacing a set of struts/shocks is beyond me when it comes to suspension.

I swap the windshield wipers myself. Everything else I pay a grease monkey to do for me because I'm good at white collar work and not good with my hands unless it's shooting or driving, but not fixing. I pay to get my oil changed. Judge me as you will

>grease monkeys gettin' dirty with his car and the cuck even pays for it

It's a new car it's all warrantied I'm not paying jack

Oh, so it's not even your car then..

>yfw you realize companies only offer 'warrantied work' while they are still in true possession of the vehicle to make sure it's in good condition for when you ultimately have to give it back because you're buying a product out of your financial league and they can re-sell it with all service records

I have a 7 year warranty bumper to bumper and it will be paid in 4. I work in finance I don't buy things out of my financial league that's silly. But you're right technically I don't have the title

so you wouldnt recommend me replace the exhaust manifold gasket on my toyota fj60?

I don't do things that require specialty scan tools and I don't have a welder yet. Hoping to get a tig welder sooner or later

No I wouldn’t is any amount of money worth killing yourself if you fuck it up?

How do you even fuck up changing a gasket and why would you not want to ensure that it is done properly by doing it yourself?

>The only thing I let the mechanic mess with is the exhaust

Me too, but has nothing to do with leaks. I have no torch or welder. Trying to saw/cut off rusty shit while on my back any trying to figure out how to get some generic cutoff piece back in place without a bender is about as much fun as jacking off with a fleshlight filled with broken glass.

Just about everything

Just ride around with a monoxide detector for a while after the job...

If the specialty tools required can be used for more than one kind/model of car and are less than $100 i’ll Usually do it without hesitation.

But I say this having only changed a thermostat for my car.
But I haven’t sent her to a mechanic yet and I don’t intend to any time soon.

>tfw MR master race

Nobody touches my cars but me.

Y’all niggers couldn’t hear the exhaust leak?

Alignments are the only thing I've taken my car in for since 2012. Everything else I'd rather do myself, to make sure it's done right and to be able to spend some free time celebrating my hobby.

I don't work on my car because I can afford a mechanic.

It isn’t the gauges that are the problem. It’s pulling a vacuum on the system before you fill the Freon. Otherwise you’re ac is running half filled with air.

I do almost everything myself except take my cars to the Swiss MOT. I'll gladly pay a mechanic to deal with those faggots.
And stuff like alignments where you need super special expensive
equipment.

I drive a late 90's Accord I paid $300 cash. Only thing I had to do was change a hose. Beater life.