What are the benefits of manual over automatic for a normal (not a race) driver?

What are the benefits of manual over automatic for a normal (not a race) driver?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kN8CCY1vFC8
youtu.be/kItKeYK9D3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's more fun. You feel like you're more in control and more in touch with the car.

CVT >>>>> Manual
Reply to me if i am right

It's fun
Cheaper to maintain and repair
Better mileage (EPA ratings do not reflect real life)
Immediate response, no pressing the gas and waiting for the computers to realize you want to go fast

>more control over your car so you geat peace of mind instead of your car doing things the shitty way
>more things to do so you're not bored out of your mind
>you get the option of practicing more of your racing skills when you feel like it (
>not feeling like it all the time normie reeeeee)
>you can use a dildo as a shifter

You can start it with a bad battery.
You can start it with a bad starter.
You don't have to turn on your retard lights when parking
You can easily brake without using your brake lights either and make someone rear end you
No annoying brake lights when sitting at a stop light
Intentional style roll backs at stop lights all day long
free revving in an instant for flirtin' with honeys on the road, no autistic shift to neutral while driving
of course muh road feels
muh clutch pedal
muh stikk shiftt

Clutch is the main benefit for normal driving.
You can rock the car back and forth to get out of snow and if unwanted oversteer happens, you can press clutch and steer into the slide to recover. Other benefits are more track/rally oriented. Also in the old days there was way less drivetrain power loss with manual.

You have more control over what your car is doing, and you can get more torque out of a smaller engine. It also forces you to pay more attention to driving. Newer automatics may offer as good or better acceleration, but will be heavier and probably not as reliable over the years.

More MPGs if you know how to drive

If you're buying a used car, manuals will be faster, get better mileage, and act as an anti-theft device if you're American.

If you're buying a new car there is literally no reason to go with the manual over the automatic. Modern automatics have surpassed manuals in terms of acceleration, mileage, and reliability.

feelin' my car's grand total 90hp in the clutch is amazing feel desu

Have you ever driven in snow or ice and the automatic decides it wants to shift up or down and induce a nice slide?

> literally no reason
Because I enjoy shifting it myself?

Yep, happened while braking after it shifted to second when I didn't want it to in an alley of ice. Almost scooted my rear into the wall of the building in the alley

>You can start it with a bad battery.
That is the biggest benefit for me. Alternatively, one can carry a jump pack if their car is automatic...

>You can start it with a bad starter.
Unless that is the case.

I like it more
I regret getting an auto
My 230hp autotragic is wholly uninspiring
My 90hp fwd beater is a joy to drive

In theory, a CVT should be the perfect transmission. It doesn't seem to work that way in practice, though.

The ones on snowmobiles do well because they can be easily cooled, but otherwise it just saps too much power for little gain
If you have any understanding of physics you know wasted energy goes out in the form of heat
And heat absolutely kills reliability in mechanical applications

Have you ever noticed positions on the shifter that let you hold a gear?

Except instead of staying in 2nd and feathering the clutch it'll dump 1st if revs get too low

I get to choose whether I want more power or better economy at any point. It's also less likely to grenade itself.

Oh, and when you take your foot off the brake you don't get that horrible conflicting feeling as the car tries to accelerate and brake simultaneously. Manual gives nuch finer control.

Wait, it doesn't hold a gear? I've never driven an auto in my life but I assumed the 1-2-3 was there to force it into a certain gear if you needed it. Is it actually 1-1/2-1/2/3?

fpbp

Are you me? You only beed to replace FWD with AWD.

Some old Fords stay in second if shifted into second, even from a stop. My mom's 1997 E350 RV does it, and her 1999 Ranger did too.

Oh yeah, also in the manual, it says that it's a feature used for easier acceleration on slippery surfaces, or something similar to that.

>Modern automatics have surpassed manuals in terms of acceleration, mileage, and reliability
Not all at once though. A CVT will be more efficient and a DCT or cutting edge coventional auto will perform better, but a manual is still the most versatile transmission.

Engine braking is severely underrated, especially good with rusty brake lines. Rowing your own gears is quintessential to attaining oneness with your vehicle. Slushbox plebs are lazy or old.

Just like communism, it really only works well on paper

There are no objective advantages for having a manual over an auto

>smoother shifts
>engine braking
>more fun
>engine braking
>being able to select the gear and use the clutch
>engine braking
>more gears for more economy
>engine breaking
>overtaking
>you can't kill a family of five and not notice because your one hand is not free to browse myspace

In theory you are correct.
In reality a CVT has significantly higher drivetrain losses, can not handle torque and has reliabilty issues.
They are getting better, but are not yet better than conventional transmissions.

Guess why the most efficient non hybrids have a manual (or automised manual) transmission...

It causes you to be more focused in driving, even if it's just in the back of your mind and it's near institual you are still paying more attention than you would in an auto. So imo it's good to teach kids on stick because it makes them more aware of RPM/Gearing/fuel economy along with speed. I think it just makes for better drivers in general. I'm not saying it's magic, I just think it makes people more road focused.
On a side note I think it's fun to row though the gears every day.

Manuals still have the most efficient drive trains, they ten just to have fewer gears than autos now so that's why MPG numbers aren't always better on manual like they used to be.

Real life mpg still tend to be better on manuals than on automatic gearboxes, if the driver has decent hypermling skills.

>bad starter.
Whack the starter with a wrench when attempting to crank and it'll start

I drive snowmobiles
CVT IS GOOD TRANSMISSION
but
and a big BUT
When we have to tow people on the trail the worst is when the belts slip, now sure in cars its all enclosed vs a sled where snow can get in
but some days i wish i had a manual transmission in a snowmobile so bad, if i could drop from what would be third to first on a sled in the trails so i could drag track and powerslide through turns i fucking would
there are just times where even with a CVT i still wish i could change gears

Snowcycles are a thing and basically what you just described, they just look more like sikk dirt bikes with track on the rear

I want one of those kits for my 93 rm250
would be hella fucking cool until i decide boondocking isnt cool anymore
Makes me just want to motoswap a yz250 motor into a Bravo and just have fun that way
>small light nimble bravo
>all the yz250 powerband galore
>5 speed transmission
>leaf sprung skis
>those cruiser handle bars
>BRAAAP BRAAAP in the trails

Why don't they make CVTs with two sliding cone gears like a big differential? Rather than a belt the gears mesh together

The issue would be that you can not mesh teeth in eachother if their distace changes.
The closest thing to that can be found on bicycles, it is not a CVT but it has usually between 7 and 12 steps.

more complex = more problems
thats why
2 stroke > 4stroke
chocolate > vanilla
flat tappet > roller
you see what im getting at?

It would complicate it somewhat, but in the space between the cogs you could have a synchronising link between the two cones that only engages for each gear as the gear is selected.

>more complex = more problems
Most of the time, but not always true, just look at the rotary engine.

These drivetrains on bikes tend to last pretty damn long, especialy if you consider that they are totaly exposed to the elements.

If you want a transmission that lasts long, get a manual, they usually outlast the engine itself, although they are more mechanicly complex than a CVT.

rotory's are a whole different breed of air pump/combustion engine though
they are designed for maximum power and rpm with really low wear for what they do

more fun,
you can drive more efficiently if you know how to,
lighter normally,
no shitty torque converter,
you ever been going up a steep hill and your car stuggles to get up the revs then upshifts too early and starts dropping revs cos its too high of a gear then downshifts and keeps doing that till it gets to the top of the hill?, doesnt happen in a manual,
europoors will rip on you less,

cant think of anything else non race related

manual > cvt > auto
i think cvts will eventually replace autos but manual will always be manual

That would not be a CVT anymore, but a sequential transmission.

You could as well get rid of the syncho and keep it as it is used in bikes, beef it up, enclose the whole drivetrain and give it a oil filling.
Maybe add a front derailleur as well to change gear range.

oh yeah forgot one
less resistance so less power loss to the wheels and therefore more efficiant

I think a lot of the butthurt over manual transmissions is coming from people who can't drive a vehicle with one,so they tend to lash out at the people who are a part of the automotive master race.

problem is the chains will stretch too much
its like with the 427 cammer and that 7 foot chain stretch

i remember before i knew cvts existed i tried to think of a way of making a conical gearbox work just like that, i couldnt think of a way of making it work tho, i was amazed when i found out cvts existed.

what we need is gears that can change size if that makes sense, but currently theres no way to do this without it being complex and fragile

The rear deraileur can counteract that, it actualy has to deal with way more chain lenth variation when you change from big ring to small ring.

There is something like that in bike tech, video related:
youtu.be/kN8CCY1vFC8

Oh hell Yeah, but you can do similar things in autos with paddle shifters/bump shifters.

Not realy, they do not allow some shifts and usually weight more.

i reckon there would be less of a texting while driving" problem in america if autos werent the norm there, in a manual you always need both hands ready so you arent tempted to have a phone in one of them, which shouldnt be a problem but apparently is a severe problem in america

>self driving cars are a thing because kids cant into no texting while drive

I like forcing my mothers cvt(lightest trannys around) Outback into 6th as soon as it hits 45 and keeping it there for the rest of the drive. Since driving it spiritedly is boring, I might as well get stupid MPG numbers that I could only dream to get in my Bimmer. Still wish I convinced them to get that manual though but the dealers never had any, fucking Subaru.

>6th gear
>CVT
That is bullshit.

i drive a manual and still text and drive lol checkmate atheist

Fun
Keeps you more attentive
Cheaper
Easier to maintain
Can be customized

>literally no reason

>drive manual
>car go in reverse 6 inches at every single stop

dafuq

???

It's forces a ratio, same as a gear.

But it's not a gear.

Dubs speak the truth

>no autistic shift to neutral while driving
???

Literally considering converting my car to a manual because of the “starting with a bad battery” aspect.

I’m new to cars and learned that you can’t push start an auto the hard way.

youtu.be/kItKeYK9D3k

Don't have to share my ride with my girlfriend

Smoother to drive less prone to torque steer

And as mentioned driving in ice/snow with 5 speed is great

What do you all think of the DSG. It's kinda like an automatic manual, isn't it?

fpbp

>drive manual
>car goes in reverse 0 inches at every stop

for everyday driving there is no advantage

some cars might get better mileage from manual but it isn't universal

>theft prevention
>better real world fuel economy
>safer in dangerous conditions
>fun

>smoother shifts
>than a fucking auto

This board is filled with memeing children

>you ever been going up a steep hill and your car stuggles to get up the revs then upshifts too early and starts dropping revs cos its too high of a gear then downshifts and keeps doing that till it gets to the top of the hill?,
Are you driving with the lever in the highest setting and limp footing the gas because that's how that happens

bpfp

>drive automatic
>foot slips off brake while I'm doing my makeup
>rearend the guy infront of me

This is why manuals are great. They're failsafe.

You've clearly never driven an old auto. Hell, my car is from 2013 and I can shift smoother than the automatic variant because it's that fucking bad.

pbpf

fppp

>using makeup.
Gay as fuck and if by chance you're a woman then you're just a regular whore unless youre ugly as fuck.

I was kidding, user. I've seen a couple of teenage girls do that. I meant they're great because it's harder for other people to fuck up.

>engine breaking
why would you list breaking your engine as a good thing

Teenage girls can drive in your country?

19 is teenage, 17 can drive.

Ah OK. I was thinking about underage girls driving.

None, manual is objectively shit.

Fun is a meaningless word.

Sounds like you have an exciting life.

More exciting than people who think fun makes something good.

>drive 1992 automatic
>it does everything I want it to do

Am I missing something?

If you're being serious, just drive a manual for a few weeks and then step back in an automatic and tell me you don't reach for the clutch while driving because you want to shift. Of course in a modern car you can just get the DCT which gives you the best of both worlds

its cool i think of underage girls aal the time pham

its more fun

>Driving is more fun
>Drifting is more fun
>Rallying is more fun
>Overtaking is more fun
>cruising is way more fun (just sit it in 5th or whatever your top gear is) and laaaaay back
On the downside driving on hills isnt as fun if you have to stop and roll back up a steep incline or a traffic jam, apart from that its fine.

>people who think fun makes something good
Most people believe this, yes.
If you want to rub broken glass on your ball sack because it's an exfoliant, feel free.

>cheaper to maintain
Cheaper to replace. But some automatics are maintenance free now. The ones that aren't only require fluid changes every 5 years. That might have been true 50 years ago grandpa... but not anymore.

>hills
Unless you're buying a new(er) car since a lot of them have hill hold assist. Hell my daily is an automatic and it has hill hold assist.

i had a stupid high geared rear end it made hillstarts suck ass even with a good handbrake