Figuring out life

At what age did you guys figure out what you wanted to do with your life?

Does anyone here feel really lost in life?

I'm 23 and I have no idea on what to do with my life. I went to college for 6 years. I took a bunch of random classes and failed/dropped most of them. I ended up dropping out at the end.

I've been looking for a new job and I have found some. I'm thinking of getting an entry lvl hr/recruiting job. It might be nice, right?

Is this a good idea?
does anyone here work in HR or recruiting?

join the military, itll give you purpose.

I've been told that before, but I'm not interested.

I've also seen that the military is a meme and they won't even really help you after you finish.

>I'm thinking of getting an entry lvl hr/recruiting job.

I'm sure its probably a reasonable job if you're unskilled.

I hate HR drones so much, just because they recruit you they seem to think that they're your boss. I'm in a higher position than them and earn almost double their salary but they still look down on me. I'm convinced they don't even have brains. All they need for their job is a nice smile, a tidy haircut and a list of generic "where do you see yourself in five years time" interview questions sourced from the first page on google. Superficial airhead wankers.

You lack discipline. Until you get that handled fucking forget it.

>I'm thinking of getting an entry lvl hr/recruiting job. It might be nice, right?
Why do you think that might a good match for you? Just curious why a guy who says he feels lost and seems directionless gravitates towards a particular career stream.

Trump is president now. There's a saying in the military. Reds always give a lilbit extra. You'll get great pay and allowances and taken care of lad

I took a few test saying I should try in work in the business area. It also said that I'm good at caring for people, so I just figured HR would be a good match.

>HR caring for people
Yeah, "people" as in executive board and shareholders

I'm almost 30 and I still have no idea what I want to do. My advice is just to find a decent paying job, work it, and then take any opportunities that arise

Even lateral movements within a company to a different department will be "experience" and will look good and will broaden your knowledge base. Life is all about bullshitting (unfortunately) so the more experiences you have to pull from, the more "qualified" for *any* job you become

My greatest mistake in life is that I stayed at a terrible paying dead end job for way too long because I didn't know what I want to do. Huge mistake. Do *something*, anything, make sure if pays decently. You probably wont *like* the job, but at least make sure you don't *hate* it, and then take any interesting opportunity that comes across, even if you think you aren't "ready" for it, and continue taking opportunities as long as you don't get paid less

If only I knew that at 23

Do you really feel like its too late for you? I've taken a few college classes and I remember that some of my classmates were in their 30's-50's.

desu I just want a nice comfy office job.

>Do you really feel like its too late for you?
Nah, I've got things settled now and I'm doing well, but if I had realized this at 23 I'd be a few years ahead of where I am now

Also, fuck college. I don't have a degree, and my job reimburses me tuition if I take classes related to my field. Any decent job will do this. If you feel you must go to college, then wait for that opportunity, but college is a waste of time unless you're going to become a doctor or something

What do you do for a living?

wagecuckery sucked my soul and made me a husk devout of emotion

I work in a business/finance related industry, with 0 prior experience, among peers of various ages most of whom have a degree in business/finance/economics whereas I do not

Just apply a million places that seem like you may not hate the work. Eventually you'll get interviews, and you need to make good impressions because people are driven more by emotions than logic, and as soon as you get a leg in the door, you're in

Sorry I'm not more specific

That's actually pretty true now. If you want to have a good time though, go back to college and finish some kind of degree easy as many previous credits as you can , then join the military going through Officer Candidate School. Line officers have it a lot easier than just straight enlisting, and you get higher pay. But you have to finish college

Wow thats pretty good.

I've tried to apply for entry lvl office jobs, but they all say that I need years of experience in the field, which fucks me up.

Also whats a typical day in the office?

>I've also seen that the military is a meme and they won't even really help you after you finish.

nigga what?

I was an Air Force meteorologist, traveled Europe, got a free bach degree and now Veteran looks shit hot on a resume

I just got paid to get a free masters degree, VA benefits, most everyone gets disability for life

everyone is a fool not to do the military.

>they all say that I need years of experience in the field
Every job says that. They're painting their ideal candidate, who is quite frankly overqualified for the job

Apply anyway. It helps if you have an aesthetically pleasing resume. If people have 5 years related experience for an entry level job, they are overqualified and probably aren't applying for it. Again, apply anyway. Apply 8 hours a day if you're unemployed; I'm serious. You will eventually get some interviews despite being less than ideal. You just need to nail the interview

Day in the life: I know a ton of information that I was trained on. Job provided all training. I speak with clients via phone mostly. I sit or stand at a desk

A large problem today is that people think that STEM is the only job opportunity. When you're 26 years old and wasted 6 years of college and working at a Costco, it becomes a little easier to settle for that forestry degree to work at a national park.

My resume is pretty pathetic desu. I've posted it on here and on other boards too and I did get some help fixing it, but I still think its shit. I haven't really done much in life. I'm trying to join a few clubs at school, so that I will look a little better.

Here is my resume.

23 year old in same situation here.

I see it as a few choices, from best to worst
>Study biz at college and try and use that setup/connection to get decently high wage job after a few years
>Learn trade and operate side hustles both legal and the opposite of that
>Suck corpie penis and work your way into a role that you may be naturally gifted at

What in any sensibility is left? You can start your own business full time? But the way the world is heading there is no point operating a physical operation, so do it online. But then you probably won't need full time hours after a while. But then what do you do with your spare time?

Nigga half the shit you put in your resume makes it worse if you're applying to anything accounting related.
Here we go:
- stuff under academic project: doesnt add anything. who cares you wrote a paper on child abuse, no-one is impressed by you estimating the costs to start a marathon (what the hell do you even mean by starting a marathon, you probably mean organizing), and every academic has written 25+ page papers so dont put it there, makes you look incompetent for thinking thats an achievement

experience: jesus fuck all you have is some teenage job at a steak house? get some more experience and remove the steak house job, no one gives a fuck about how complicated you can try and make your simple job look like.

additional information: languages, only one? if you've ever learned any 2 words of another language, put it there. otherwise, take a crash course in spanish and put it there. We know you speak english based on the fact that your resume is in english, so putting languages - English there, only provides the new information that you dont know any other language. Either remove it or add languages
technical skills: everyone who has ever laid a finger on a computer can do that shit. they're useful skills, but in no way impressive and they do not at all make you stand out from the crowd. Add more skills, specifically skills related to whatever position you're applying to.

It's very hard for me to believe you've posted this on several boards and gotten advice on how to improve it. The only thing that looks decent about your resume is the format

I'm 23, I drive an Audi,I have a wife, and I just closed on my first house 2 days ago.

My parents are war refugees and we grew up in what's now known as the, "Heroin Valley" in Philadelphia. I never had much, but I always had ambition to achieve. I never let anyone tell me what I can and can't do and I'm fortunate enough to be where I am now. The odds of failure were favorable and success was more than a long shot, but I made it.

Anything is possible, just do it.

If I remove the work/academic and tech skills then I'll have nothing on the resume.

There's no reason to include a 3.3 GPA from a community college on your resume. It makes you look like an idiot. Once you get your degree, get rid of the community college part altogether. It a huge red flag

>get rid of the community college part altogether

Why?
A lot of people go to cc

wow bro you drive an audi ? thats fucking amazing

Then your resume isn't the biggest problem you have. It's the lack of skills that is the main issue.
Look at it from the perspective of an employer. Why would he hire you and not any of the other 100 generic applicants? I know I wouldn't. None of the things you mentioned in your resume help you significantly with being a better accountant/whatever the hell it is you want to be. Meanwhile, other applicants have followed business courses, know programming languages, followed honors programs, et cetera. That's the kind of shit employers care about. Not Jimmy's fucking steak house. Sorry to go so hard on you, but you're not going to get a job worthy of someone with a university degree with this resume. Go out there and develop yourself in ways that would make you a better accountant, not waiter.

Well I wasn't trying to get an accounting job. I moved locations, so I guess my id changed. I'm really OP.

Yeah I know my resume is shit, but I though it would be good enough to get a entry lvl position in a office.

>Why would he hire you and not any of the other 100 generic applicants?
they solved the child abuse problem lad. id hire him.

I'm talking about the resume posted (it may be you, don't really care). It says accounting there, but my points hold for any position that would require a university degree.
I don't know how the job market is in the US (i'm assuming that's where you want to work), but in western Europe you wouldn't get shit with this resume unless you were sending out applications 8hrs a day like some guy suggested. How many people people do you think graduate every year with a degree in accounting or something similar? And how many entry level positions do you think there are? And how would you rank yourself (skills and resume) compared to your fellow students?
I've seen plenty of university students' resumes, and let me tell you I have rarely seen one that I would consider worse than yours.
Once again, I'm going hard on you, but it's because you need it.

Also what the other guy said about cc: he's right. But don't remove it until you have enough other stuff to put on your resume

What do you do?

Here's what I told a friend of mine in the same situation. Firstly, spend time figuring out who you are. Ask yourself questions and seek awnsers internally. Envision yourself doing different jobs and see what makes you the least miserable. Next acquire the skills to get that job and apply for that kind of job over 100 times before you even question giving up.

If you cannot complete this checklist your standards are either too high or you are defective, please kill your self.

>15- Wanted to design video games
>16- decided that it's pointless, decide I will go into accounting when I'm older
>17- decide accounting could get easily automated, decide to go into IB/consulting when I finish my accounting studies
>18- start panicking because a lot of big4 firms don't accept the diploma I'm working towards. Probably not going to go into IB/consulting

Is there any field more alpha than sales?

7 and 18 respectively.

When I was 7 I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker. Nothing else. Should have known it's really fucking hard to get into the industry. And let me tell you, it is a pretty shitty industry. So schmoozing people isn't exactly what I wanted.

That's why when I turned 18 I decided I wanted to be a banker instead. Great decision, not really because that's something to be planned when you're 12. Not at the hall start of your college career.

You're going about it ass backwards, doing a test that says you're appropriate for something is a few steps away from doing a horroscope to find out your destiny.

Instead read up about careers you think might be interesting, see if you can shadow someone for a day ideally. Actually get into the millieu of something.

The most important thing is to do a kind of psychological audit of yourself, know your strengths, your weaknesses, and the shit which you can stand to do for the rest of your life. That's very important, not everyone can follow their dreams or do what they "love" for a living, but your life will be way easier if you can do something that you can more-than-tolerate for your life.

Now, if you can shadow someone an industry, and find out it's the job you love: perfect!

but don't let anyone TELL you what career you're suited for, let them suggest paths of investigation, but work it out yourself.

30 here.

At 28 I finally found a good career. I feel like I have a handle on what I want and how to make money.

But then again some people say you never really figure out life. It's constant exploration/discovery until you are dead.

I guess that's a good thing?

Yes but he could end up infantry in the desert hoping not to get blown up by a towelhead.

Not exactly a great path to finding self purpose.

25 years old. Wanted to get into computers and IT since high school. Turns out I'm running up against guys who have three times the amount of certs I have and twice as many degrees, and started doing hacker-level bullshit since elementary. The saddest part is that they are having trouble getting jobs, too. Either they only get temp network admin jobs for a couple of months, or the position they want gets filled by either some normie who's related to the boss or some Asian super genius interning for free for their university class. You can't beat that shit no matter what.
Don't know what else to do. If I keep studying, I might catch up to their level eventually and MAYBE get an entry level position. But even then, nothing near me is guaranteed, and no one wants to hire full time anymore.

I'm guessing you're from the USA, so I don't know what the job markets like there (I'm in Australia btw).

Honestly, your biggest problem (like everyone else has stated) is your lack of experience. You've spent 5 years of your life shit kicking at a dead end job as a waiter doing and learning jack piss on the fucking job.

You've got no unique work experience on your resume. Every fucking 22 year old kid graduating university/college/whatever is jerking themselves off working at McDonalds while racking up student loans and living on mummy and daddy's credit card.

To be honest, hospitality/fastfood jobs should be left for high schoolers. I worked at a fast food restaurant during high school. Sure, there was nothing wrong with working there, but I had been there for 3 years at that point and I was at a dead end where my career wasn't going to develop there anymore, I had reached my full potential there.

The second I finished high school, I was applying for any job I could, anywhere other than fastfood/retail. Within two weeks, I landed a job at a call center doing customer support. It wasn't a glamours job (no job is), but I had developed on the skills I had learnt at my previous job. Pair this up with study and your resume will look better than any other college jerk off your age.

I also saw you went to community college (for accounting I assume?) Why not apply for relevant work with your associates degree? Look for entry level bookkeeping jobs or accounts payable or some shit like that.

tldr: Avoid working shitty dead end jobs (retail, fastfood, hospitality) with no prospects, Keeping looking to expand your skills, keep looking to move up.

depends on what you're selling

Is it possible to get an internship while you take a break from college?

22 yo here
i decided to study computer engineering because i was goodish at math and physics and i liked to play computer games
mental illness hit me early in college and i was a terrible student
i went to a 5 year school with 3 internships integrated into my schedule (guess which school i went to)
i had to leave for six months because i couldn't find an internship so i went home and worked mall retail and took programming classes at the CC
i came back to school and my first internship i worked for a smoll govt/university research lab and wrote code for six months and realized electrical engineering is gay as shit and i just want to code
also i really love econ so i started an econ minor
at this time i wanted to change majors but my GPA was literally too shitty to enroll in another program
i kept trying to just deal with my major but i hated the EE classes i had to take and i kept failing and my mental health killed my motivation to stay in CE
i lucked the fuck out (TYBG) and my second internship (which i'm at rn) is at a fortune 100 and i'm doing corporate strategy for a large company tangentially related to my studies
i'm now going to drop out of my school and instead study CS at another nearby cheaper school
and until class starts at the new school, i'm going to try to stay at my corporate strategy job because it's fucking cool

tl;dr
i never knew what i wanted to do until i got an internship and found out what i didn't want to do
i now have an slightly unrelated internship and as a technically-minded student surrounded by bumbling idiot finance and marketing majors, i'm shining bright as fuck
find what you do better than your peers, yo
a lot of people are fucking idiots but have nice jobs

Feels like the main pitfall sometimes, computer games.

I've grown up around and heavily involved with tech, but little drive to go alongside it. People tend to think learning programming is kinda related to just playing vidya. If only :/

in high school i played video games because i was a depressed virgin nerd but i never learned how to code

i went into college wanting to make computer chips because i didn't expect to learn to program

but then i figured out how fun programming is

>but then i figured out how fun programming is
autist detected

>Yes but he could end up infantry...
You don't ever just wake up and find yourself as infantry. It is a deliberate choice on the recruits part.

i don't have a diagnosis but i might be
my girlfriend thinks i'm autistic

How did you even land an internship with a shitty gpa?

my school structures the internship (co-op) system and students are almost but not guaranteed an internship
i think my employers didn't have access to my transcript and i never disclosed my GPA
also i think they had trouble finding other people to hire

Damn thats pretty cool. Good for you man

"I need validation" the post

depends on if you mean working as a cashier or as a marketer

This.
At 27 you will find your life meaning or get testicular cancer. Or both.

Get up and get out. Just fucking do it.
Don't sit around and talk about thinking about shit and figuring shit out.
Once you get out there you will quickly find out what you like and don't like and what you are good at.
Then you'll realize that you're an average person and will have an average life or you'll bust out and become Elon Musk.

What do you do for a living?

>Veeky Forums - Business & Finance
>[Start a New Thread]

Something might eat him though

I asked for my steak medium done not rare you fucking stupid pieceashit waiter this is the fourth time how can't you get my order right

>muh benefits

I think I was 26 or 27 when I realized I simply wanted to be free. I like my job and I don't mind work, but being able to say fuck it and quit when something doesn't suit you is what gets me going. I'm 30 now and I have enough passive income to barely get by, so I guess I'm doing ok so far.

so every cunt wants experience, but none are willing to give you a chance to gain said experience. Can we just start killing old people who still work over the age of 60? Or maybe cleanse out the HR departments of these giant businesses? Or, Hell, get world war 3 going because at least when half the fucking population is dead and the other is suffering from nuclear holocaust, maybe, just maybe there will be a fucking job opening that'll take low experienced applicants

30 y/o too, and can't say it enough. Financial independence is the goal.

Whether that's 65 or 85 or 45, that's up to you.

If the army was abolished of the US you see how fast you wish you had an army.

Dunno about hr but 25 when I realized what I really wanted.

I'm 24 and been at my real job for only two years. This is my conclusion. I've figured out that engineering sucks and I'll probably always be unhappy working for someone else.

>I think I was 26 or 27 when I realized I simply wanted to be free. I like my job and I don't mind work, but being able to say fuck it and quit when something doesn't suit you is what gets me going. I'm 30 now and I have enough passive income to barely get by, so I guess I'm doing ok so far.

What is your passive income.

>95% accuracy

What did you fucking keep track off all the times you have someone incorrect change or something?

>Graduated college with a 2.4 gpa.

>Got super lucky and landed a finance job through a family connection out of college.

>Worked there for 2.5 years.

>Abused adderall - kept oversleeping and fucking up.

>Lost job and went to rehab.

>Out of rehab now and trying to rebuild.

>Super depressed. In $20k+ credit card debt. Working fast food job just to stay busy while i search. Just hoping i find a real job soon.

2-3 of those 50 plus customers he served per week must've complained

Are you me?

You sound exactly like me at 23. Best advice I can give is to finish school. Move away from friends because they're probably distracting you. You obviously want more out of life but you're lost. I've been there.

Get a finance degree or accounting degree. It'll open up a ton of doors for you. I did finance and the classes aren't that difficult. It's the fatigue that gets you especially if you're working. GPA doesn't even matter after your first real job. I had 2.97 GPA. When I was in school I got a job that doubled my salary before I even graduated. You just have to be persistent.
You'll get of out of the trenches and away from the dog shit jobs.

Please take my advice. I absolutely guarantee you'll be happier if you do this.

Yeah, I'm gonna be rich.

Dang breh

I rent out 2 flats.

Around the age of 3 according to my parents. Apparently I had to help my granddad get on the internet over and over again.

If you dont know what you want to do, then just try shit until you find something that suits you.

>25
>peers are making 60k by now even though I always scored the highest on tests and knew more
>I'm making the equivalent of 12k and fight against homelessness and starvation on the daily
>all because I'm not """"outgoing"""" and HR cunts give me the boot

I feel this feel. I toy with a daydream of engineering a superplague to wipe out the ranks. Technically I could do it, too. I think if I ever tip into truly being homeless, I will have nothing left to lose and just might.

You have enough money, fat old bastard in the suit, get out and let me work. RRREEEEEEEEE. It isn't fair that normies live a happy life while I suffer. Everyone should suffer.

I'm 25 and I'm not sure whether I should become a teacher or just go back to school and fuck off.

Overtime doing my security job is killing me, but at least it's giving me time to write a book.

Sage advice here op. 31 here and samesame.

Last job was a nightmare.

This job is mine till i die. U want to retire rich and young but if not i got a solid job nesr home and content enough

Meh, i dunno. Life can be a bitch sometimes...

Kek. Ball cancer would suck

Fucking eh right user me too.

Wtf u getting that sweet passive income from?

Trying to build and rent cabins until i can get in on some oil leases and then who knows.

>I drive an Audi,I have a wife
the pinnacle of success right here.

well done tho.
My car is a piece of shit but I'm above materialism.

>I got government funding to brown up a neighborhood

Good thing for that welfare state

Having this problem too. Also 23, at community college and ready to transfer for finance to a uni but I think its fucking boring now and want to switch to STEM. If i switch itll set me back from graduating by another year or two. Fuck me, i'll probably just finish it

OP: Some people never figure out what they want to do with their life . .. .. . and you know what, that is just fine.

Not every person has that one thing that defines them or makes them happy, Some people enjoy doing a lot of different things. Some people can just adapt to whatever is in front of them. Some people just don't enjoy doing anything. All of these people are perfectly fine the way they are.

Stop trying to fit into the mold of "I need to find myself" or "I need to find what career I should be doing" There is no career that anybody "should" be doing.

Just follow your own instincts every day OP. Don't worry about where you "should" be in life. Some days your instincts will lead you in a good direction, and other days they won't. But just follow your own instincts every single day.

Keep it simple.

>I'm 23, I drive an Audi,I have a wife, and I just closed on my first house 2 days ago.

If those things are a big deal to you, then you have reached your ceiling.

Well, you always need a salesman and an accountant to run a business, but I don't know why sales is alpha.

>not aspiring to be a slum lord

I'm 23 years old making 80k a year as a data analyst. My best advice is to choose a goal career.. something that you would enjoy doing. For example let's say it's becoming a software developer. Then figure a plan to get there - this would be going to college, getting good grades and doing side projects. Then put all your time and energy into that goal. Focus is key.

Honestly though this is what 18-19 year olds think about. By the time I was 18 i had already decided my career and working on it full time so had my peers. A 23 year old should be in the beginnings of a career already. If you haven't figured out life already how will you catch up to your peers? I know peers who are a year older making six figures and engaged. I mean in 2 years time you should be married.

Get your shit together dude. You're far behind. There's no time to waste. This is a race. That's why it's called the rat race for a reason. You are competing with other people and right now you are behind by a lot. You have zero time to waste anymore. You're basically going to have to go full speed.

cuck

If a person has to talk about something they have accomplished, then that something must be a big deal to them.

If it wasn't a big deal, then they wouldn't need to talk about it, because it would be just another day at the office.

>be me at 22, finally find something I want to do
>go to trade school and take 2 year course
>graduate into recession, hard as fuck to find a job
>25 now working a dead end job and failing to start a career

I am a massive failure

>study engineering
>about to graduate
>do internship
>realise I hate full time work
>decide going to become a dentist

i want to travel and spend a lot so im doing accounting/finance. i cant live pay check to pay check, no vacations for me.

what a load of bullshit

Relax kid.
Plenty of people have no idea what they really want to do till they are 30 or even 40.

I'm 24 and currently getting my Masters in IO-Psychology and I have no idea if that even is what I want for my life.

My advise is to do lots of internships to figure shit out you like.

Im 38 and just started med school. Youve got time broskow