Is buying new car a scam?

Is buying new car a scam?

>inb4 muh depreciation

All you have to do is visit Veeky Forums for half a year and listen to all the retards here to realize buying used is a fucking horrible idea.

Buying anything is a sin. Fuck capitalism

what a cuck

Mum bought a used 1990 pulsar n13 with the 1.6 GM engine for the australian market about 17 years ago and she's still running good with over 300000kms on the clock.

Just put a new radiatior in this atfernoon.

So suck my dick you newcarfags. Soibois BTFO once again.

If you earn over minimum wage and dont want to get a big loan/raped by repayments then maybe?

>needed a new radiator
>running good

Pick one

Sure, it's a "scam" if you're a giant poorfag that can't afford anything nice.
>hurrdurr I bought this old as dirt car that still works after I've replaced just about all of it
Well good for you that you view a car as nothing more than an appliance designed to get from a to b. Some of us actually care about cars and treat cars as a hobby.

Im not saying buying used is a terrible idea. Just 90% of people dont know shit about taking care of cars or dont bother to do basic maintenance. If you are going to spend 2-5K for a used car you might as well just put a down payment on a new cheap econobox.

depends on what you're buying.

consider this scenario. was considering buying a used, 1.8 audi a5 5 door 2015 for about 25k yurobucks. ended up settling for a 2017 civic sedan 1.5 instead. superior in every way + 7 year warranty AND it was only 21k yurobuckaroos

now if you want some drift rocket you're gonna modify and trash it's probably better to buy used and work on it than buy new and lose your warranty

but why am I even bothering with this shit everyone who insists you should only buy used is an american bus rider anyway

Bought a new SUV cash a few months back. It was for the wife to tote the kid around so needed something reliable and covered by a warranty.

However, I've always bought used.

If you're going to buy new just pay cash to avoid the interest and financing fees.

It was the original steel core dumbass.

In a 27 year old car. It was about time to replace it. Still original engine and running gear, never needed anything major apart from a few shit-tier electrics and that's it.

Try and get that out of your 2017 eletriconic packed tablet on wheels

I just lease new if my money flow is great. Done it for almost ten years and found out it was a more viable choice over financing. Everyone here says leasing a brand new (or a slightly new used car) is stupid, and I can kinda understand where they are coming from, but it worked well for me.

Its only a scam if you dont plan on keeping it.

I lease but only because if I lease a car through my work its before tax and reduces my taxable income enough to outweigh the higher total cost of leasing. This applies in Australia for high income earners, not sure how it would work for Americans

Nigger

Aww, this reminded me that my truck needs a new engine. I started it to idle and warm up and came back to find that the fan motor died, overheating the engine. Coolant in the oil, found a crack between cylinders in the block. Original from 1970 too.

There are so many factors and a big one being your financial situation. I personally wouldn't tell anyone how they should spend their money but as of right now I wouldn't finance a car. I'm cool with buying used shitboxes. I'd say inb4 you faggots start arguing but that has already started

>no you should do it my way because it works great for me and it should work great for you too!

give it a good new engine user

>doesn't own a car
>doesn't have a license
Fuck off

Is asking a board where the sticky literally has no cars worth over $5000 used about buying new an intelligent move? That being said Buying new means it has no previous owners, you have full warranty, and you pay full price. Buying a year or two old is perfect assuming you know a mechanic to check out the vehicle for you. The big depreciation drop has happened, the car's been broken in, and if it's a new model bugs and issues are being adressed.

Looking at dropping in a LQ4 or some other LS-based engine. The cost isn't much more than putting in an SBC. Only issue is the current 3-speed in it would need an adapter plate or I would need to go with a new transmission.

But all the poorfag busriders on this board are Euros.

ayy you remember me. I come here to get advice on what cars I should put my had earned money into on forza and need for speed.

good times

>If you're going to buy new just pay cash to avoid the interest and financing fees.

>buying something in the multiple tens of thousands of dollars
>with cash
Who are you, Scrooge McDuck? Either that or you're buying a Hyundai Accent.

Nah, Honda CR-V. It's amazing how much you can save when you budget yourself. Saved for about a year and also sold my wife's old car to help offset the cost.

Try the LT1. I'm pretty sure they have the same transmission bolt pattern as a small block. Or you can have my 305 for free when I take it out and drop in a 400

I paid $300 for my Honda. Cash. Own it no payments. Have put $0 in maintenance. 141k original miles. Youre a moron.

Well, it's a 4,400lb truck so I want at least a 350 in there. Thought about pulling an old big block but the amount of cleanup work required has been prohibitive.

An LT1 would be cheap but the limited head selection puts me off. The reverse-flow coolant and the whole opti-spark situation is just, meh. With an LQ4 I can cross reference parts from almost any LS-series engine produced, while the LT1 was short-lived.

Ah, I see. Good for you man. There's the issue though.

>I want my new car now! I don't want to save!
That's what financing is for. Sure, you pay more over time because of interest (unless you get a 0% APR). But you can afford those smaller chunks of payments as your money comes in instead of saving over time. That's what most people do anyway. I've done it with slightly used cars, like a few years old. That way the 'off lot' depreciation has already happened.

>$0 maintenence in a 141k honda.
you are a lying nigger.

And you bought it yesterday, yea?

I'm sure there's adapter plates to bolt an ls to an older transmission. Good luck with your swap

i can find amazing cars for 1/4th of the AVG price of a new car

people are just stupid and want a minty fresh car and they have every right to spend a years salary or more on one, by all means support the car industry, and enjoy having the car lose half its value every 2 years

There are more cars than people are willling to purchase, many just sit in lots for months or years

Not if you can pay cash for it.
Buying new is what I would consider a luxury though. If you can't afford to buy a new car outright with cash, you don't have the luxury to afford both a loan and depreciation. You may think you do because you can afford the payments but that's the scam.

A car is not a house. They have fooled so many people into thinking having a car loan is "normal". It shouldn't be. If you need a car and require a loan to get it, so be it but you shouldn't be loaning more than you have to- get something that's cheaper and has already taken the depreciation hit.

>still wrenches on cars more than you
For shame user.

Once you start saving a decent chunk of change, it becomes surprisingly easy to keep it. I saved up about $6k during the recession because I thought I might lose my job. Once I had gotten used to having that money in the bank instead of just this week's paycheck, I started to realize just how much money I was wasting on stuff I could really do without.

Cut to a few years later and I was able to pay cash ($15k) for a new (used) Z4 with low miles and still have a shitload leftover ($10k+).

>fan motor died, overheating the engine. >Original from 1970
Those had belt driven fans.

Can't say I know the vehicle specifically but there's a fair chance it's got a fluid clutch fan, driven by a belt yes but it doesn't spin for shit if the fluid in the hydraulic hub is fucked or has leaked out.

Yes unless you buy a Toyota/Lexus.

This.

Had a landcruiser that only had 50k milage and only lost 20k from 60k sticker price when I sold it 5 years later

Except he doesn't

I'm about to buy a 1985 Nissan maxima with 78k miles from a neighbor down the street this weekend.

Thoughts?

I'd rather have a nice 10 year old car that needs some work over a modern ecobox any fucking day of the week.

How much?

>a car loan is "normal"
Strictly speaking, it is considered "normal" for most people in the first world. Unfortunately, nowadays, "normal" seems to coincide with "financially stupid". Mmmm, debt culture.

Except car sales arent doing that good and thats why cars like the evo x are still available at dealerships 4 years later

Depends on the purpose and car
>I want to race and mod the shit out of my car
Get a really old or moderately old used car

>I want anything else
Buy slightly used, or new if it doesn't depreciate hard like the wrx. Unless you really like older cars. Lexus RC cars lose like 30k really fast.

$800

>it was for the wife so it needed to be new and have a warranty
What did he mean by this...

Hence the quotes. I don't fault someone for getting a car loan- it's when they keep getting them that I have to wonder what they are thinking.

Just make the car last longer than the loan and start putting that extra money into a savings account for a new car. If you can't make your car last long enough to save up for a replacement, maybe you need to reconsider what good buying a new / expensive car is actually doing for you.

>Well good for you that you view a car as nothing more than an appliance designed to get from a to b. Some of us actually care about cars and treat cars as a hobby.

so who cares more about food; a guy who spends 2 hours in the kitchen making a perfect meal or a guy who goes to an expensive restaurant?

I wanted a good DD. Find the newest model year that hit depreciate bottom on the same range as earlier models.
Youre solid there, min/max your expenditure and longevity. But sometimes even then, you are better off buying new, considering you get lower interest financing a new car.

Depreciation past that is retarded and doesnt matter if you intend to keep the car and not sell it. Better than buying a shitbox. Or, if youre so rich you have anything above minimum insurance payments and want a bunch of money back when you total it (which you probably lost anyways in insurance payments)

Anyhow, I recently picked up a 2017 mazda3 sport hatch stick, for 15k out the door. Im happy with it.

well say you have 70k to spend on a fun car. you could get a jaguar ftype with the v6 and manual and be set with a VERY nice car.

or, you could be a stupid prick like my m8 was and buy a used aston martin db9, a car that is soooooooooo bad it makes fords seem good

and I know what Veeky Forums would do. and don't even bother explaining yourselves. you can get some old merc piece of v12 shit for the money but it will still be worse than the ftype

Joke's on you stupid faggot, we don't even have buses in the United States.

Depends. If you don’t want to work on or maintain your car, then go ahead and deal with the dealer. If you know what you’re doing with your car, you could try your luck with used/auction cars. Significantly cheaper, unless you buy one that someone tried to fix and returned, or if you don’t inspect the car in person. Another thing to note, whenever you buy a car from anywhere, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take photos before delivery. Some delivery guys are decent, most don’t give a shit about your car and what dents it’ll accumulate on their trialer

much like healthcare eh?

I agree that most drivers don’t know how to maintain their cars, but that shouldn’t discourage you from buying used. Inspect the car, and talk with the previous owner. If it’s clean, and the guy knows what he’s saying, bingo. If it’s messy inside, or a woman driver, then yeah, don’t buy.

How do you find the civic superior? I have an Audi A5 2014, 2.0 myself. It’s a beautiful car, love working on it (though it’s not exactly the easiest to work on) and the feeling of the drive is phenomenal. For instance, winding roads on mountains, the A5 has wet dreams of those.

It really does depend.
The cheapest Nissan Versa is ~14k. At that }rice you can by a much nicer used car that is however older.

Anyway people need to be so consumerist when it comes to cars. Buy something new if you know it was built to last. Keep it for a long time. You hurt the environment and you hurt the future for other Veeky Forumstist.

Where is this pic from? It's a e s t h e t i c

All Ive had to change is a hose. Keep being a fucked in the ass by being a debt slave. Go back to work dumb goy.

>buying a new car = debt slave
Not if you don't work at BK flipping burgers.

1) you live in a shitty flyover state where cars are extremely cheap because there's no one around for miles
2)your relative or someone close sold that to you and you're just larping
3)you just got really lucky and think everyone can buy a $300 civic

Either way , in any of these cases, you're a massive faggot

Buying a new car is not a scam.
Refinancing your loan for a new car every two years is a scam, though.

1) California is a flyover state, massive LUL
2) Bought it off a gook on Craigslist, triple LUL
3) Got lucky, HYPERLUL. I buy and sell cars on CL for side cash. Learn to negotiate, buy low sell high you fucking omega faggot.

Get back to work you dumb fuck goy. You have payments to make faggot cuck lord.

What a fucking waste of quints

All depends on what money you have really, but for normal peoples with live with money from normal jobs, yes is a fucking scam.

pay 25-50k for something that half the value in first day
pay insurance and all other taxes

yes is a fucking scam, and surprise, 3 years later your car is outdated, and you need to buy a new one!!!

Enjoy your equal starvation, commie.

If your intent is to buy it new and maintain it like it's your goddamn baby, then no, buying new makes total sense.

But if you're a typical driver who knows fuck all about cars, can't figure out if you want to be on the gas or brakes, and ignorantly disregards every warning sign your car gives you, then no, buying new is DEFINITELY not for you.

We see it all the time. New Mercedes being brought in for their first service and they've been absolutely abused... just, mindbogglingly trashed to shit... and the owner is always the same; they don't want to repair the damage they've caused, they seem to be under the impression that if they ignore it, the problem goes away.

But then, now and then, we find the REAL owners, the ones who bring in their merc with over 200,000km on them and we can't find a goddamn thing wrong with them.
THESE are the people we respect. These cars we are going to treat with absolute respect, because the owner obviously has done the same.

Myself, I buy near-new. Mostly because I don't want to be bound by the rules of a warranty, I want to replace anything I find even remotely performs outside of spec.

Poorfags, everybody

If you live in a hellish rusthole not having to worry about rust is worth buying new. People also drive and maintain their shit like fucking idiots these days.

>this

Buying new is for dealers, leasing is for corporations, certified is for the wealthy, and used is for the poor.

bitches destroy cars, so need dat warranty

>chef at BK

I'm not sure if I should get a new midsize sedan with a beefier engine like a v6 Camry, or a few years old sports luxury car.
On one hand, the normie-box will be roomier, probably cheaper to maintain, on warranty, and will probably last longer.
On the other hand, the sports/luxury will be more fun to drive, look better inside and out, and will probably be higher quality in general.

Both of them are kind of like grand tourers

It depends on which used car it is.

The new car would either be next year's Mazda 6 with the turbo 4 or a v6 Camry, and the older used car would be a 3/4 series or a G37/Q50

No one forced you to buy it. Heck with cars you get to sign stuff to make extra sure you want it.

My dude you should at least change the oil sometimes.

/thread
My dad bought a Landcruiser Prado in 2000 for $55,000 AUD, and sold it in 2012 with 210,000km on it for $20,000. How many other cars can get that much mileage and age and still sell for over a third of their original value?

I check the fluids, i was just trolling these snobby cats implying that old car = GUARANTEED SHITBOX LOL KYS. Any car will run well if properly maintained.

This a thousand times over. I bought a brand new '15 Mustang with 3 miles on it. I know that I am the only person to have driven it from the factory. Bought it in December of 2014 and I have UNDER 8,000 miles on it (Live 3 miles from work). I will have it paid completely off by the time I reach around 25,000 miles. My car will be a perfectly maintained, never abused clean as fuck, basically new automobile. I will have around 75,000 miles of "worry free" driving. People say a car isn't an investment. Oh really? I care to differ.

Does the whole instant depreciation off the lot even matter if you don't plan on selling it for a long time?
How often do people even buy cars and sell them so quickly that they're still reasonably in like-new condition?

It only matters if the depreciation is substantial enough that it impacts you're expectation of what you can sell the car for at a later date. There's a number of people out there with a lot of expendable income who purchase a vehicle, drive it for a year or 2, then go trade it in on a new model. A friend of mine is an overseas contractor currently stationed in Unspecifiedistan and on his trip back to the states he (and by that I mean his wife) traded in their 16' HRV for the newest model and bought an 18' Elite Odyssey before he returned to work.

If you have the money I could see the appeal of that lifestyle where as far as cars are concerned you will always have the latest and greatest and won't be dealing with any maintenance issues that occur because of high mileage. The difference on the trade in is considered an expense, not a long term investment where you expect to eventually resell the vehicle to recoup some of the costs.

Local friend of mine purchased one of the last V6 Accords after his 03 Pontiac Sunfire's window motors stopped working on both sides of the car, (passenger, then driver) For him it's an investment in the sense of his personal enjoyment and utility that comes with the car. In his word's it will be the last car he owns before he buys a Tesla. This kind of value proposition is fundamentally different from a lot of car buyers in America. If you as a buyer have the expectation of eventually recuperating a significant amount of money at some point down the line you are making an investment in a depreciating asset where in the best case scenario, the value of the vehicle at the end of your ownership combined with the money you made using the vehicle outweighs the total investment.