/ovg/ - Rally Soon Edition

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce you are self!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing rFactor, GTA 4, Forza and AC on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

get-good.net/index.php?title=/ovg/_Szilveszter_Rally_2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for read the wiki
get-good.net/index.php?title=/ovg/_Szilveszter_Rally_2017

Name a better game

Do you fags still do the Dirt Rally asynchronous multiplayer club thing? I might buy it because it's at a good price right now.

>Wanting to play with /ovg/

Considering it's asynchronous, it's pretty harmless

>Do you fags still do the Dirt Rally asynchronous multiplayer club thing?
The fuck do you mean?

The Veeky Forums club league thing where you don't play directly against each other and everyone punches in their results over time

you could also add friends and do dailies, weeklies and compare results there.

we do proper rallying in rallyfactor now

BRAAAAAAAP

I take it /ovg/ officially retired Dirt Rally into the back lot?

That depends on who you consider /ovg/. If it's the usual crew then yes they have moved on a long time ago.
There is new guys playing dirt rally though.

it's fun but it isn't very good. It suffers from the usual Codemasters failure of making the cars "feel" good without actually making them drive right. If you try to drive like Colin McRae you will crash no matter how good you are because the game does unpredictable and unrealistic things at the worst times. The crashing isn't even very realistic and throws all immersion out the window when it abruptly resets you on track for driving too close to a spectator, but then will end your entire rally for launching the car into the forest, as long as you do so at very specific locations, otherwise you are forced to waste time trying to clamber back up a hill to get back on track or reset yourself and take a penalty.

rFactor does a far superior job of allowing the player the agency to stay on track themselves without any nannies. You can totally fuck up and fly off the literal edge of the world and the game will just put you back where you flew off the map and let you find your way back to the track yourself.

>If you try to drive like Colin McRae you will crash no matter how good you are because the game does unpredictable and unrealistic things at the worst times.
You know you can't make statements like that without sounding like a shitter, right?

there's a thing about not driving at 10/10ths in rally if you want to finish, but people forget that those gradiations of effort are relative. If you want to win, you drive as hard as you can. The game does things that do not happen in real life when you use the entire width of the road, such as the berms of dirt on the edges of roads that you can see real rally cars just driving over, in Dirt Rally you drive over them and they fling your car into the air.
In real rally you can see the drivers using the edges of the course to keep the car on the road and corner faster, you cannot do that in DR, it just sends you flipping or spinning because they act like concrete curbs.

AC

Should I install Wangblows 8/10 to get ASW on Oculus? I'm using a 8700K and 1080Ti both OC'd but I'm still getting drops to a bit below 90FPS at the start of races in AC with a big grid, I don't really notice it that bad though, I can only tell if I turn my head to the side and watch the stuff going past is a bit more juttery than it should be.

I keep reading conflicting reports on ASW, some people say it makes everything distorted, stutter and adds input delay, some people say it works great and it allowed them to increase their video settings higher (I can't do this anyway as it seems to be an engine limitation with AC where it just slows down with a lot of AI regardless of your system or what settings it's running at). Haven't tried PCars 2 yet but would be interested to see what FPS I get and if ASW would help if it's below 90.

>In real rally you can see the drivers using the edges of the course to keep the car on the road and corner faster, you cannot do that in DR, it just sends you flipping or spinning because they act like concrete curbs.
Except you can do that especially in finland stages, as long as you keep in mind that the ditches can and do end at the end of a corner. So while you are free to dump your wheels in there to corner faster, you need to get them out before the corner ends or your suspension wont be able to handle the sudden bump.
Realistically though it's rally, not a circuit and if you think you should be able to safely use the entire road without any problems with any car you are entirely wrong. Safety margin exists for a reason.

>except you can do that especially in finland stages
No you can't you fucking retard.

>have done it, tell you that it's possible
>nuhuh, you CAN'T
I hate to say this, but you sure you aren't just doing mental gymnastics in order to defend your ego form the fact you might not be very good?

I mean by no means am I saying Dirt rally doesn't have wonky spots in some of the tracks, but you can definitely use the ditch/curb on finland stages to corner faster.

Fuck off.

Very compelling argument.

It's not the inner gutter I'm talking about but the outer berm where the dirt has built up from cars throwing it to the edge of the road. In all rally you can see cars hit these structures with their rear tires and they help straighten the slide and put the car back on the road. In DR it pops the back end of your car up in the air and sends you off the course or blows your tires for no conceivable reason.

I am well aware in rally you need to be extremely selective of where you put your car because the difference between making a corner and hitting a tree is entirely dependent on which side of the road you were on when you entered the corner. You have to deal with the runoff curve and undulations of a realistic road. I get it. However, sometimes the best approach to the corner involves a section of dirt or tarmac that is at the very edge, and the game punishes you for taking that line with highly unrealistic responses to even putting half a tire off course.

you are talking to two separate people hoss, don't get your rally autism dick all hard.

>It's not the inner gutter I'm talking about but the outer berm where the dirt has built up from cars throwing it to the edge of the road.
Oh well then I don't think we have any disagreement on that part. I was talking about the inner ditches.
The shit on the outside of a corner usually can help you "save it" but only a small correction and only at small speeds.
At higher speeds it's like you said, it sends the rear flying which isn't the correct "punishment" you would have in real life.

>you are talking to two separate people hoss, don't get your rally autism dick all hard.
And this is relevant how?
I made a statement, the guy flipped out and I told him what I think of his shitpost. The fact that it's two people, or one person makes no difference.

also iirc there is a section in Monte Carlo at a hairpin where you can easily fly off the road but the problem is that the curve is built on a cobblestone wall and there is no auto-fail or auto reset zone on the other side of it. So you end up falling down an 8-foot sheer drop and can't get back up without using the reset button, which gives you a penalty ON TOP of the time you wasted crashing there in the first place. Then there are sections that just reset you and apply the same penalty if you had used the reset yourself, and other sections that just end your game. None of them have any conditionals so you can literally idle into one of the no-go zones at 2 mph and that's it, you're done, or you can barrel roll into the forest at 120 mph and the game resets you before you touch a single tree then applies an unrealistically short penalty to what would, in an actual rally, be a career-ending crash.

Basically the game is lazily made and frustrating to play. If you drive like a real rally driver the game punishes you with bad physics and if you drive like an idiot the game won't let you enjoy the result.

>Your top point
Agreed, that is certainly something that could have used a quality pass to have a more consistent, realistic result.

>If you drive like a real rally driver the game punishes you with bad physics
Using the dirt on the outside of the corner to correct a small slide Is hardly the be all end all. Besides most rally games don't even have the smaller bumps and dirt mounts on tracks, let alone using them in the manner you mentioned. Or am I wrong on this?

rFactor rally mods made for free by Hungarian NEETs have more realistic responses to road imperfections than any of the garbage Codies shits out. You can absolutely do that kind of thing in any real sim and it will behave roughly as expected. Obviously with no modeling of the dirt movement under the tires it's not completely realistic but we're getting there.
I look at Codies and see a company with a long history of absolutely top tier racing games, many of them specifically about rally, and DR has such glaring imperfections and shows a lack of attention to the actual racing experience that I can't believe they released it in the state it's in or that people even think it's good. I guess if you like piddling around at 5/10ths or 8/10ths or whatever like a granny in a Group B car and being reminded you are playing a video game every ten seconds when it does something stupid, it's fine, but if you want an actual rally sim the only one is RBR.

In NFS Payback each of the street racing gangs have their own gimmick and name.
Tell what yours would be if you had to make one, the cars (and car types) used, and the introductory monologue you’d use to tell the player who they are.

>You can absolutely do that kind of thing in any real sim and it will behave roughly as expected.
Show me one where both the dirt mount is actually in the game and it behaves in a realistic fashion.

Also
>rFactor rally mods made for free by Hungarian NEETs have more realistic responses to road imperfections than any of the garbage Codies shits out.
Any specific examples?

>I look at Codies and see a company with a long history of absolutely top tier racing games, many of them specifically about rally
> and DR has such glaring imperfections
Hurrr, I don't get how you can have those two opinions at the same time.

>I guess if you like piddling around at 5/10ths or 8/10ths or whatever like a granny in a Group B car
Shit is way more harsh in real life through. What I am saying is that if Dirt rally seems like "too punishing, for pushing your car" then real life is going to be a real kick in the teeth for you. Dirt rally is immensely forgiving when it comes to car damage in almost every aspect(crashes and wear and tear)

I am having trouble making webms with rFactor currently or else I would show you many tracks made with those berms where not only do they behave appropriately, the courses even have ruts in the road surface that the cars react to appropriately as well. The angle of the road surface relative to the tire contact patch in rFactor has a major effect on the grip levels of your tires, so cars react appropriately when you slide into a piece of road at an angle. This is a game that doesn't even properly model dirt, in rFactor it's just slippery bumpy tarmac and it still feels better.
>Any specific examples?
The Rallyfactor.hu mod in the new rally series has really good cars, they are rather badly modeled but they drive beautifully. There's also the Rallyworld mod. I've been practicing for the series with the Solyi Erdo and Finland World Rally stages. Solyi Erdo is very thin, mixed surface, has ruts and berms you can use to gently correct your path but they will not save you if you have truly fucked up. Finland is more like a CMR stage, wide tarmac, full of jumps and blind off-camber corners with a realistic road grading, built on islands in the middle of a lake so going off course is instant death. It's separated into different "tracks" for the stages of the rally, but there are others that include the transit stages. I'm not saying this is the end-all-be-all of rally simulation or even that it is acceptable as completely realistic by the standards of today or 2005, but it does a way better job than a game specifically dedicated to rally racing made by a developer with extensive experience in that particular genre.
>Hurrr, I don't get how you can have those two opinions at the same time.
Because different people work there, obviously most of the guys who made CMR and DIRT fun have probably moved on and the remainder don't seem to understand what made those games entertaining despite the lack of realism.

>they drive beautifully.
stopped reading right there. anything you say from now on is beyond retarded and meant to be taken as a joke.

>Shit is way more harsh in real life through. What I am saying is that if Dirt rally seems like "too punishing, for pushing your car" then real life is going to be a real kick in the teeth for you. Dirt rally is immensely forgiving when it comes to car damage in almost every aspect(crashes and wear and tear)
And that's my major problem with it. It punishes you for running out of talent before you run out of grip, but does a half-assed job of it. You aren't holding yourself back to keep your car an one piece, you're doing it to avoid being slowed down or fucked over by a completely ridiculous response from the game's physics that inevitably causes you to crash. Then when you do, the damage modelling is practically nonexistent, making the inherent danger introduced by the car-flinging objects, rocks, and trees totally pointless since you are only inconvenienced by them instead of fucking dead like in real life.

They should just make a game where you drive along a road and if you touch the edges you get damaged and if you drive off the track at all you explode and die.
Oh, that's F-Zero, isn't it?

Fuck you nerd, the Swift is ugly as fuck but it drives right. I'm no rally driver but I've had a Suzuki sideways in the dirt before.

>I've had a Suzuki sideways in the dirt before.
L-lewd

>the Swift is ugly as fuck
You have 1 minute to take back that statement

By which I mean it's 3D modelling and texturing is poor not that it's an ugly car. The whole area around the front quarters is just badly modelled and UV wrapped and I have never had to correct a window frame on a skin template before. Also you can see the engine block from the wheel well and it's fully modeled but has no texture.

Also the proportions seem a bit off, real Swifts/Metros look a bit shorter than the one in the mod.

Where were you when the GT6 servers died?

Ah ok. I thought you were talking shit about the actual car.

fuck no, It's a gorgeous car IRL. Not even just for an econobox. Look at this proportioning. The windowsill-fender-wheelwell relationship is perfectly sized. The hood and windshield have a pleasing angle, and the hood slopes down at just the right angle and curve to form a nearly isosceles triangle with the indicator. The body line where the fenders stop and the bumper begins is in line with the styling crease on the side of the car, the way the pillars are worked into the window makes it look 1980s-futuristic and the taillights make it look even lower than this one already is. This is what peak aesthetics looks like.

post rally webms

Hoe do we fix /ovg/?

>have a massive video game and anime backlog
>end up playing racing games and rewatching Haruhi
fug

>They should just make a game where you drive along a road and if you touch the edges you get damaged and if you drive off the track at all you explode and die.
>Oh, that's F-Zero, isn't it?
or Xpand Rally, where injuries make you revert to a checkpoint and deaths delete all your progress altogether

couldn't capture a death situation, maybe because it wasn't the newest event available

you better watch every episodes of endless 8 dont be a bitchass

I already did. Marathoned them again before the stream last week too.

literary me

Xpand Rally is excellent. A shame it doesn't like widescreen aspect ratios very much.

human eyes can't see more than 1280x1024 anyway

anons you are fucking spoiling me rn

why does /ovg/ use mumble? wouldnt discord be better?

Because discord is botnet.

discord is a verified chinese advertising botnet and if you use it you are an idiot

toivonen.webm

ovg has a discord. It's where all the cool kids hang out

>Dirt rally is immensely forgiving when it comes to car damage in almost every aspect(crashes and wear and tear)
>the damage modelling is practically nonexistent, making the inherent danger introduced by the car-flinging objects, rocks, and trees totally pointless since you are only inconvenienced by them instead of fucking dead like in real life.

point illustrated

>The crashing isn't even very realistic and throws all immersion out the window when it abruptly resets you on track for driving too close to a spectator

>if you want an actual rally sim the only one is RBR
yeah, nah

OBS or Shadowplay.

RBR relies too heavily on going over inside road camber, if you miss it the suspension gives up completely

>try to enter corner with nice wide line at 0:20
>suspension goes WWII France because slight outside road camber
>car completely refuses to turn, can hear suspension noise like suspension was being pelted with rocks

and see in a proper game you would have slid past him and into a tree and it would have been all "ha ha that marshal has balls of steel" instead of getting royal rainbowed back to the track by the King of All Asspulls

Well that corner does kind of decrease in radius, if that little kink in it wasn't there you'da made it with that angle.

an incompletely realistic simulator is still a simulator.

>drive on a heavily off camber road in an awd car
>wonder why your car isnt turning
hey maybe you should edit your brains physics .ini so its able to rub two brain cells together lmao

in a proper game the guy would move away instead of standing still when a car is sliding towards him

having a protective aura like that breaks all immersion

>and see in a proper game you would have slid past him and into a tree and it would have been all "ha ha that marshal has balls of steel"

Show me one game where it's like that

A proper game hasn't been made yet.

>Well that corner does kind of decrease in radius
there was an attempt to account for that but the game went "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

>drive on a heavily off camber road
the road is almost level, camber is very slight

>Sega releases an update of Daytona Championship USA as the entire dump the game
>people are swarming to run it on their PCs
>barely any protection on the game (dongles, security checks)

>its the games fault i missed the inside of a corner
give up trashcan

>no way this game can have wonky physics

Because you put a rear tire into the grass in an off-camber multi-apex corner and you turned in too late to begin with.

>game
wow a video game has things youre only able to do in a video game wtf

fish AI or invisible Finns?

let's get some sauce on that

hahaha 2004 game doesn't have special snow xDDDDD

hahaha I can't turn in a 2004 game, must be shit xDDDDD

shut up faggots, both are good

it was objectively bad every year you shitposter, not just "now"

is there a point in rally webm shitpost? is there some kind of rally event to be launched soon?

i'm willing to reinstall dirt rally if that's the case

feel free to point out when did any tire touch grass that would directly cause the car not to turn in

also feel free to point out where do you think the car started turning into the corner

It was on Sega Amusements' site but it's gone now after they realized their mistake. And /1cc/ is not covering it since they're full of rhythmfags and they hate TeknoParrot.

>18427499
also a 1998 game already had "special snow"

Why do buttblasted codemaster faggots always SHiT up the threads?

You start by drifting to the right side of the road before entering the corner and start turning in as soon as you get to the end of the row of bushes on the right of the frame. You put the rear tire in the grass very clearly at 0:23 and lost control.

You're the driver motherfucker, I shouldn't have to describe your own webms to you before you understand were exactly it is you fucked up that corner.

that doesn't seem a little too effective to you?like it was meant to keep the player from sliding off the road at all instead of being a realistic snow bank?

maybe realistic snow is just hard to program

why does crash2kguy call every popular (for a good reason) rally game shit when he plays rally 2000 with an edited physics ini?

Apparently just entering the color picker and clicking OK gives you a darker Black color that isn't grey-ish. Can anyone confirm this?

>I am having trouble making webms with rFactor currently or else I would show you many tracks made with those berms
Figure it out and we can have some nice webms.

>The Rallyfactor.hu mod
I'l check it out some time I guess and get back to you.

>Because different people work there, obviously most of the guys who made CMR and DIRT fun have probably moved on and the remainder don't seem to understand what made those games entertaining despite the lack of realism.
But doesn't that just mean that you value some things that aren't the driving model more?

>And that's my major problem with it. It punishes you for running out of talent before you run out of grip, but does a half-assed job of it.
For a video game that's pretty okay?
It punishes you for lack of skill, which is lets be honest the only thing you want to be punished for. It does it in a half hearted way so while you lose time, get a penalty and lose car performance, you don't get knocked out fully from a race, so people get to keep on playing and trying to get to the finish line at least. Cause massive realistic damage to the car, instant death and completely fucking the car are all realistic, but are they more "fun" in terms of a video game?

>and trees totally pointless since you are only inconvenienced by them instead of fucking dead like in real life.
Yeah, but you have to ask what is better from a gameplay perspective. Both realistic damage and this half hearted approach have their merits and cons.
But you are just agreeing with the thing I said?

>that webm
>injury
Common mate, thats better than dirt rally but that's a death scenario if I have ever seen one.
Doesn't it basically show that the game is also "more forgiving than real life" ?

>thats better than dirt rally but that's a death scenario if I have ever seen one.
as noted in the post,
>couldn't capture a death situation, maybe because it wasn't the newest event available
usually this kind of fall kills the driver

You still get a time penalty though so it's not like you get off scott free. And while I am all for spectators having actual correct hitboxes, what exactly do you expect?
Realistic specator murder simulator?
Where if you drive into a specator the game uninstalls itself for committing murder/injury?
Doesn't sound like a fun "game" to me.

fucking lol

>that webm
Just like in my Dirt Rallies, ironic that dirt rally is the only one that gets shit for it though.
Same thing here.

I mean a lot of people complain valid stuff about dirt rally, and everybody agrees that it could be better, but at the same time there doesn't seem to be a rally game that does all of the things "right" anyway and it's peoples "ideal game" in their head that they compare it to.

Again, people seem to understand that video games aren't going to be perfect simulations, but when other rally games fuck up things it seems to be fine?
I mean likely it's because it's different people voicing their opinion on this matter but this is kinda my point I was getting at.