/CCG/ - Wonderland Edition

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Wonderland Edition

Thread Theme: youtube.com/watch?v=sQzn8lGUY0s

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Other urls found in this thread:

jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/1949-vw-bug-chevy-8-make/6371780389.html
jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fuel-tank-issues-falcon-rancheros-wagons.807853/
youtu.be/Yf2KtxEtsEM
batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-ford-thunderbird/6442980532.html
tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-ford-mustang-coupe/6440399792.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is one of the most classic car guy article I have seen in awhile.

Would a 800cfm quadrajet be too big for a Pontiac 400? I've got one laying around but I feel like it'd be overkill

Eaton style posi vs lunchbox locker vs mini spool for street use rear end. Also your favorite gear ratio for. Street and highway car with a 3 speed

They had stock 800s (or 850s can't remember) after 72, so it should be fine.

Also depends on what size tires youre gonna run.

Im gonna go check out that 66 mustang tomorrow, what else should i look for on it?

>oil and coolant for milkshake
>kick panels and under carpet for rust
>back window and drip rails for rust
>check for oil leaks

Im also gonna bring a gallon of water to pour on it to see if any windows leak or if the cowl is rusted out.

>be me
>have 79 camaro with completely redone leather interior plus new carpet and headliner, factory correct everything inside
>freshly rebuilt 355 with new internals, cam and rollers rockers and dumped the smog era heads runs like a bat outta hell now
> basically only needed body panel alignment and paint when I got it, 5k California super markup for "classic" pony cars
>drop in shorty headers, supercharger, TCI streetfighter and a ton of other shit maximizing performance while keeping it "smog legal"
>maybe 9k total spent on this thing
>mother in law "hurrrr user your so dumb for the money you spent on that thing and plus what u put into it you could buy a brand new truck! Everything's gonna brake down on that old junker!"

Why are normies so retarded? A new Chevy pickup truck is like 60k minimum. Wow I sure could've used my 9k total and bought a brand new Silverado 2018 with that. They also don't understand that other than the chassis literally nothing old is in this in car anymore. Everything has been done.

I feel you. My fiance gets mad at me because im constantly wanting a new classic right after i sold my other one.

Even dropped the "why do you want an old car anyways? You have a new truck!" line.

Its just a passion normies dont get.

Granted ive spent way more money on my passions, but i can also afford it. Ill still bitch about the bills, but id do that even if i was a millionaire.

>lunchbox locker

Do you want to be able to turn? Like on to a side street or into a driveway.

If yes, then the lunckbox is out.

Well you do change cars like socks, so (hate to say this) she has a point.

Why can't you find one and stick to it? You're like my friend with ADD. He'll get on a new thing every few weeks, put about $50 into it, then it's off to the next "passion".

Focus, you fuck!

My wife has already accepted it. I scrounge for parts and deal hunt like a motherfucker and Do all my own labor so it's not that bad. I can't think of many other people who have a supercharged built v8 and a streetfighter in a camaro new interior for under 9k. That passes smog too

I had 6 cars in 2016 it was awesome. When u buy drive and get tired and sell for like 2.5k a piece it's really cheap. I even made a profit a few times lol.

Man I just listed my junked 3 speed auto and my old intake and exhaust manifolds on CL for free (intake and exhausts are smog compliant, can be pricey to find and buy with hookups for AIR pumps and fittings for vacuum switches. Figured I'd help some fellow out). Within minutes get a call from an older gentlemen about the manifolds and he comes on over. We talk cars for a bit and he leaves with the parts and as he's walking away casually mentions "but these are going into the scultupre I'm working on, probably as part of a giant insect"
I feel bad now perfectly good smog compliant parts are gonna get rekt and it's all my fault

They just arent the cars for me, and the impala is the only one ive lost money on.

Its like im trying out stuff to find my right fit.
>impala showed me i dont like land barges and suck at interior work
>camaro showed me i like something a bit more practical than racecar status
>customline showed me that flatheads suck.
>ranchero was just a mistake
>harley showed me that motorcycles are suicide in Mobile.

I truly loved my dart, but sold it for a ring.

Im thinking a mustang or another med sized car will be the sweet spot.
>200 i6 is practical enough for daily driving
>4-5spd manual for fun
>best style
Just need to find one where the rust is limited to the floor or fenders and that the interior is halfway decent.

Auburn is goat

So then find a Dart or Valiant.

As for Mustangs, the backseat is tiny and it fucking sucks to change spark plugs on V8 models.

Then get a dart, it was a mistake to sell it.
Glad my family members are all into cars and have always been supportive.

You remind me of me when i was into firearms, kept buying and selling a bunch of guns mostly at lost, probably lost 3k.
>>ranchero was just a mistake
Anything I should know? I'm looking at one.

I would but i particularly picky with darts and dont want a 4 door.

Backseat is only for groceries and the dog. Another bonus to the I6.

Well mine had frame rot, and rust everywhere under a fresh paint job, and i just wasnt a particular fan of it to begin with. Got it cause it seemed like it was in much better condition than the camaro but the po hid a lot of the shit.

Only things id consider a real issue is
>170i6 + 3 on tree only topped at 60-65ish.
>puking gas filler was just a bad design. Basically in the 1st gens (falcon), the tanks breathers would get blocked and cause gas to burp out the gas filler.

For those wondering how he hid it; basically he paper macehed over the holes and covered it all with under coating. Only reason i found it was cause my thumb went through it when i was adjust crap while it was on a lift. Almost impressive if it wasnt so fucked

Page 9 bump. Pic is my forgotten classic; 67 bug truck.

>favorite gear ratio
depends on the motor and what you are trying to race.

Gas yourself

Exhaust leaks have already tried

You're lame, dude. Buy a Camry and fuck off.

honestly, my favorite part of cars and motorcycles is buying and selling.

Why on earth would i do that?

Though i could essentially buy a classic camry with a barracuda body

79 supercharger camaro guy here.
So I found a place that's doing the custom fab of all coated 2.5 inch pipe from the shorty headers and efe heat riser valve down to a h pipe and cat then back to dual mufflers dumping at the rear axle (so I can pass smog) plus new brake shoes, drums, cylinders, obviously hardware kit too, installing a parking brake which I had never had, new twin magnaflows with smog certs and a new magnaflow "performance" catalytic converter all out the door for 1400 Guy cut me a deal if he could use pictures of my build on his business website/Facebook/Instagram. Thoughts?

that's a hell of a deal. I would jump on that.

The rustoleum bandit strikes again

jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/1949-vw-bug-chevy-8-make/6371780389.html

forgot pic

I have no idea how much shit costs since I always do my own labor but I don't know how to weld. I went there because it had a reputation as a mom n pop shop that's been open for 30 years with good reviews so I figured who else to work on an older car right? But the sons takin over the business and wants to turn it into a speed shop and custom work, saw them moving in all kinds of performance wheels and mufflers and heads and shit to have on display and posters from racing product brands being put up. Think the guy wants to use my shiny supercharged engine bay to help him break into the scene

Did this dumb ass seriously paint the radiator...

Do it.

Jeezus.

well a full straight pipe exhaust with a muffler is about 4-600 for 2.5 inch. Add about 100 per catalytic converter. the brake job you just talked about would be about 6-800. the parts itself that you are talking about can be from 4-800. and odds are they'll need a bit more time to get it all taken care of. I would estimate all that work at about 2k, so for 1400 you're getting a deal

I already drove it in. Best part is it's a quarter mile away. It's amazing how bad the markup is in California due to toxic car culture. On my old firebird I had a cat back flowmeter put in plus a new exhaust pipe with a chrome tip: 340 dollars. That was with a discount cuz a knew the guy too. Just a muffler and like two sets of 10 inches of pipe and 2 chrome tips

Uh yeah, to match the engine duh

It is and it isn't. where are you in cali? like any place, it's about who you know. I had some buddies I knew from the blackhawk cars and coffee who let me use their lift and tools and shit when I was still in the bay area.

My personal favorite, the fuel cell

I'm down in southern orange county near the beach. But I'm gettin the camaros exhaust and whatnot done 50 miles south east in remote San Diego county maybe that's why. To put it into perspective where I'm at a 2 bedroom condo across the street just sold for over half a million, and that's where I got hosed for the firebird. Where the camaros at right now a 5 bedroom house with 2 car garage six car drive way huge front and back yards and no HOA just sold for a little under 450k. I think things are just cheaper there in general

The Chevy 350 triggers me more
I learned the beetle community is full of stancefags and boomers today

I know. I was born and raised in california, left when I turned 18 and never went back

wow that makes me really uncomfortable

you made that poor, senile old man send you more photos of that cuda youll never buy?

I was actually interested in it until i found out how bastardized it was. Still kinda interested in it, just not sure if i wanna drive 4 hours to check it out.

I could physically feel my blood pressure and heart rate climb.

I hate people so, so severely and sincerely.

>doing welding on rust box
>i just weld down the wire on scrap bits im gonna cut later instead of using pliers to snip
>pull trigger and realise i just did it without flipping mask down staring right at inches away from face
are my eyes gonna hurt like hell tonight?

Probably.
Good luck man.

Depends, I was(am) retarded and didn't weld with a mask for my first few days of metal shop back in high school and never got my eyes feeling like sandpaper. This year I welded without my mask accidentally for two seconds and my eyes hurt like hell that night.
Good luck

That old man's fault for being so retarded.

Missed it in the last thread, everyone was talking about tacky new age shit in classics and someone brought up EFI dashes.

Considering doing something like pic related but with megasquirt, running all necessary gauges except for the tach. What do you boiz think?

What's the quick run down on torque converter stall speed and rear gear ratios? I'm wanting to do a posi in the rear and may re gear while I'm back there and don't wanna fuck it up and end up lugging my cat everywhere going 45 in top gear at 5000rpm making all kinds of noise and getting passed by city busses and shit.

I currently have a 3000-3500rpm stall converter. No idea what my current rear end ratio is either I'm just spit balling the idea at the moment but figured I'd ask. Like a mildly built small block with a 3000 stall converter what rear gear would /ccg/ want for a daily

We all like different things and that's what makes us great

lmao buy it. have fun, friend.

Might be checking this out, I love these things, but it's like 6 hrs away and probably rusty

Look for frame rot. I've always liked those though.

Well i went and checked out that mustang.

>4 spd
Actually 3 on the floor
>doesnt mention the cracked windshield.
>didnt mention the fact that there is no way to get out without rolling the window down
>looks like all the coolant leaked out by the valve cover
>minimal rust
Every panel is rusted
>doors dont even shut on the 1st try.
>hood wont stay closed.

Abort user, it's too far gone to be saved

No mockers or spools for street use

3.73 or 3.36 if more highway is onvolved

Higher number means less top speed, lower number means higher top speed.
Assuming your car has the horsepower to flesh out that gearing.

Already heading back home

Spent the morning with my dad hauling my car home and then taking out the subframe and rear axle to get it ready for blasting.
It was cozy

>small one car garage
>have to roll car halfway outside to do work (garage is on the street)
>10 degrees and its snowing

This is why I keep telling you to stay away; the price was too high and, the longer you look at classics, the more you can tell how fucked something is by rust in a particular spot.

In the case of a Mustang, rust by the headlights tends to mean that the front support was knocked loose and that the entire thing will be rusty and have accident damage.

It's been ~-20ºC all week here, -28ºC last night. Fucking cold.

Needs to get colder for me, only been around 10. Creeks need to freeze so I can go snowmobiling on them.

>may be rusty
That brown ain't paint, my dude

Are third gens considered classics?

There's a couple of turds here.

Got the camaro back from the muffler place today after the custom fab and brake and god dam am I grinning from ear to ear right now. Hooked up the trans modulator to the manifold vacuum signal under the blower and pulled onto a back road and holeeeeee shit it's a whole different animal with the 3000rpm stall converter the streetfighter and the blower on there. Exhaust note is a low grumble now not obnoxiously loud and you can actually here the supercharger whine now. Next stop 4.10 posi rear

I wish I was that Veeky Forums
Pic related

Waiting on my 5.3 from the machine shop, going with a t56 into a 1986 black/gold Camaro.

never gonna make it

Nice, stock computer setup?

stock 411 ecu flashed with VATS removed, standalone harness.
Engine has a cam so stock tune won't be exactly right but itll last until I get to the dyno tune.

I had my ECU mailaway tuned by Frost and it ran mint. 5.3 with a 228/230 cam. I'm moving to MS3 and I'm gonna try my hand at throwing rods and melting pistons

I have probably the same cam 228/230 112lsa.
the plan is to turbo later after running n/a for a while, I have cam springs and arp headstuds and its a low mile 5.3. Aiming for 500 wheel but that will probably come after I change the weak 10 bolt rear end.

Pics of camaro? Love me some turd gens

Yep, the famous "Sloppy Stage 2"
>the plan is to turbo later after running n/a for a while
I did the same in my Chevelle, ran n/a this season and it did great, 13.28 @102, now I'm working on the turbo for 10's

Cant knock it if it works

Has these weird 3 spoke wheels that im going to change

Here you go.

Fucking phone posting.

jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fuel-tank-issues-falcon-rancheros-wagons.807853/

Got back from sledding on my 1991 phazer II. It's -2 out so that's fun.

Anyone else here have classic sleds?

Course they are bud

>like building cars more than driving them

>just snowed here for the first time since 2004
I don't think I've even seen a regular snowmobile in person

youtu.be/Yf2KtxEtsEM

Holy delusional boomer, batman!

batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-ford-thunderbird/6442980532.html

Good lord

Best part is that there is another similar car (same year, body style, etc) for the same price and that one has paint and interior and wasnt burnt to a crisp.

It is worth $40,000.00, since that is what the insurance paid off on it
Oh, my bad.

Quick question. If you just slap bondo over rust, how long till it comes back and fucks you?

Getting pics sent later this week, says it runs and drives. Seems like hes ready to just get rid of it, so i may be able to talk him down on the price.

tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-ford-mustang-coupe/6440399792.html

>Quick question. If you just slap bondo over rust, how long till it comes back and fucks you?
As soon as the piece needs to fulfill its duty as a structural component.

The implication is that if you spent 30,000 dollars on a resto you might be able to break even.

There's no way, Hagerty value is 20 grand for an immaculate, vacuum bubble 66 Thunderbird.

Bondo cracks immediately in certain climates, general rule is if you see a bondo'd car, run.

Just find a car in pic related condition, drop a 302 in it and a 4 speed and just drive it.

Some guy locally has a 67 Thunderbird for sell for 4k in what looks to be excellent condition by the pictures since there no description, guy fucking ignored me when i started asking questions about it.

Did you reverse image search?

Where else can i look for nearby classics other than cl and just driving around and hoping to get lucky? My local cls have gone stagnant and there really isnt anything in my price range that i want. Except for that nigged 2nd gen camaro; the guy thinks he should get the 5k he at least put into the engine, so hes not coming down on that at all.

>inb4 expand search and go further
Dont have the time to drive 8 hours away to go look at a car, and then drive back. 4 hours is kinda my limit, and even then its gotta be something really worthwhile to put up with the bitching ill get from the missus.