Misfires after spark[lug change

Completely new to mechanics, just got a 4x4 manual 2005 ford ranger. The spark plugs and air filter needed to be changed. Changed the spark plugs and air filter today. Before I changed them it ran fine. After I cranked it I got a weak idle, put it in gear and started driving. Once I got up to second I got a check engine light. Once I got into 3rd it started flashing. Had the code read. It was misfiring randomly. I switched all the cables up to make sure I didn't cross them on accident and every time I cranked it it was still showing CEL. Limped it to a mechanic because I couldn't think of anything else to do. Is my truck fucked? Other people have seemed to have this seemingly nonsensical issue. I just got this thing a week ago, had a mechanic look it over beforehI bought it and and he gave it a clean bill of health besides spark plugs and air filter. I'm scared I just lost a whole lot of money on a lemon.

Other urls found in this thread:

autoweek.com/article/recalls/toyota-frame-settlement-could-cost-company-34-billion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Did you use Motorcraft plugs?

I believe they were Bosch. Should I be using Motocraft?

Yes. Fords do not like bosch but you could've mixed the wires too

I don't think it was that because I tried every combination and I couldn't find one that wasn't weak. I'm much less worried about fixing it myself and much more worried about doing it wrong and causing serious damage to my engineblock/piston chambers.

Never go Bosch in ford
But what it sounds like it has to be a the firing order is fucked have you narrowed down what cylinder is misfiring

It said first it was 4 and 5 (the ones i changed first) then after that it was random. I think I may have fucked up the order I reconnected them to the distributor

Also did you check your gaps cause you could have gotten returns from someone who dropped a plug and broke the electrode and took it back and didint say it was broken or they could have gotten dropped and have there gap fucked

That's a POS Ford for you. Should have gotten a Toyota Tacoma, those are problem free.

t. Bus rider
Did you happen to fully remove the distributor

Wait are you just connecting plug wires to random posts on the distributor

>implying
Lol, I own a Tundra. Probably more reliable than the bus you ride on the daily.

Can really only be the plugs or the leads (either broken, crossed, or not fitted on the plug properly), since you say it ran fine before you changed them. Having an ignition module go bad at the exact same time would be one hell of a coincidence, but I guess possible...

Re gap them

>le import is always reliable meme
Yes we get it Toyota makes good cars maybe if you read about what was going on you could understand enjoy that bus ;^)

yes...

>enjoy that bus
Ahh, yet another domesticuck projecting his daily bus riding experience onto others because he's a miserable no-car degenerate. Never gets old lmao.

Also not to mention, but this "import" was built in America unlike that POS Ranger in OP. Stay mad.

Shopped for tacoma first, a 2wd with 200k miles was thousands more than a 4x4 ranger with 100k miles. If I made 6 figures I would have gone with taco no doubt. I actually work for TRD so I agree on toyota's quality. Car before this was a corolla. That being said go argue somewhere else. Looking for help not fanboys. thanks

OP did gap the plugs first, right?

Nice strawman
Got anymore memes to throw my way bus rider?
If you are just connecting randomly that is your problem is it a 4.0 or 3.0

?

I had a civic guy talk me through it and said there's basically no way to do it wrong. I didn't gap them and when I reconnected them to the distributor I did them one at a time so they couldn't be wrong but the guy at autozone had me paranoid that I fucked up so I switched them around.

>Wait are you just connecting plug wires to random posts on the distributor
>yes...
gonna need a confirmation from the OP on these two posts

photo of distributor and wires

You can easily fuck it up the gap is generally okay out of the box but god knows what has happened to them between where they were made and your hands its always good to double check you could have a busted electrode or a "gap" that is shorted if it got dropped hard enough
3.0 and 4.0 are the same heres the order double check it

I have a Ranger FX4 Level 2. 4.0, 5 speed, 31"x10.5" BFG KO2s on 15x7 forged aluminum Alcoa wheels, full skid plates, Billstein shocks, 8.8" 4.10 rear end with a 31 spline axle, tow hooks, and a 2 speed 4WD transfer case. Let me know when your Taco has all of that stock for $7,000.

I have a 1992 manual Ford Ranger, that I bought for $1600, when I got it, it had 200k miles.
It now has 254k miles, and has had 0 problems whatsoever.

The biggest thing that's happened is a flat tire after off-roading.

Let me know when you can buy a Toyota in good shape for sub 2k that runs

I always hassle the guy about giving me the fresh ones. I am disgusted by the idea of some asshole touching, dropping, or dorking with the factory gap on my plugs and the parts store trying to pass them off to me as virgins. No.

You can absolutely fuck it up. Really easily, actually. If you connected them in the wrong firing order, that's... Well, yeah, that's going to give you misfires.

Also it's a really good idea to gap your plugs. The little gap checker coin thing is like $4 at the parts store and they're super easy to use. Check what gap your specific engine is supposed to have. You might have one or two that are either shorted or too wide.

Also I'm going to just be "that guy" and tell you to hit each plug with a torque wrench. Overtightening a spark plug can destroy the entire cylinder head, and undertightening can cause all sorts of problems. If you don't have a torque wrench, at least just tighten them until you feel the crush washer yield. This is when tightening them stops getting harder, but you can still turn it a little further.

And to "that guy" even harder, a little spooge of antiseize compound on the spark plug threads is never a bad idea.

>Honda and Toyota owners have no clue on engine diagnostics and lack even rudimentary mechanic skills
wew

>still this mad that he's projecting his bus riding experience

Aww did I hit another bus rider's soft nerve again? Must suck living with mama and driving her minivan when given the chance huh?

Funny, because if your shitty Ranger was up north, the chassis and the axle would have been eaten away with rust after 7 years. Thankfully Toyota researched the problem and fixed it.

2002 Tundra
266k original miles (bought it when it only had 98k miles in 2012) gets it's maintenance by me, and never skipped a beat.

I've driven passed Fords, Chevrolets, Dodges hell even what I thought would be reliable Nissan Frontiers on the side of the road lots of times while traveling, and hardly any Toyota trucks.

I love everything about this truck and the only problem i have with it is the MPG, but it's my fault for making it worse by putting huge ass tires on it while I go rescue shitty Jeeps and whatnot off road.

Funny, i've been servicing my own truck for almost six years after I learn how mechanics like to fuck you in the ass. All these years the truck is running fine.

I am in Florida but bought it out of New York. It is a 2004 with no ruse issues.

Oh my god shut the fuck up nobody cares.

You see more Ford's Chevy's and Dodge's because they outsell Toyota. Dumbshit.

>Nobody cares
>replies to my post

LOL okay.

OR it's because the big three can't make reliable trucks to save their lives.

There is like millions upon millions of Tundras and Tacos out there, and very few on seen on the side of the road.

>millions upon millions of Tundras

Literally nothing you said has anything to do with the OP. Not even a little bit. If you want to swing your dick about your truck that you never use, start a new thread.

Please go fuck.

Well I had no idea changing spark plugs could be done so wrong lol. Either way the truck is in the hands of a person who does this for a living so hopefully it will be running tomorrow. Can misfires do any permant/unfixable damage? I had to drive it 3 miles with it misfiring and backfiring out of the muffler.

I live in Washington and see Ford rangers every day

fuck off with your shit nigger

It'll be fine m8

Lol dude nobody cares about your truck
Ranger is best truck stay mad LMAO

Oh yea
LMAO
autoweek.com/article/recalls/toyota-frame-settlement-could-cost-company-34-billion

>Toyota researched the problem and fixed it.
>problem free
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I actually gave dumbass OP some good advice.

Ok.

Won't be long until they die out a few years later.

>Ranger is best cus i said so fuck u i'm not gonna explain why or how stay booty blasted LMAO xD

Old news, problem long resolved LMAO. Now look up the RANGER that gets it's chassis rusted away after being open to salt on the roads
Both are correct.

Imagine being this retarded

34 MILLION
BTFO HOW WILL THE TOYOTA FAG EVER RECOVER FORD RANGER CONFIRMED BEST TRUCK EVER AND ALL NAMEFAGS WILL GET THE CHOPPING BLOCK

Dubs confirm

problem with used tacomas is all the beaners jacking up the prices. they won't buy a new one, but they line up for used ones.

Aww what's the matter? Truth bomb got sand in your vag?
>I need to type in all caps to show off my blasted anus

Nope, Toyota confirmed best. Unless there is a Ford Ranger that surpassed 1 million miles with it's original engine, I would consider it good.

>Now look up the RANGER that gets it's chassis rusted away after being open to salt on the roads

My 94 has been subjected to salt for 20 years and over the rear fenders are swiss cheesy, and I had some spring mounts that needed replaced for under $100. My BILs B3000 needed the spring hangers and the body mounts replaced. I think that was about $200 in parts and it was done in under 4 hours in my garage.

Neighbor's Taco got denied for frame replacement because it "wasn't severe enough" to meet the warranty requirements and fell apart 2 years later. He replaced it with a Colorado.

20+ year old salted Iowa Ranger frame pic related.

But bro, a namefag on a Kazakhstani potassium mining forum they aren't good and that Durryotas are the best

Put in Motorcraft plugs and stare at
for a while. If it doesn't help, buy new wires, you could have jacked up the old ones taking them out.

no fuck off, they're all 90s rangers I see driving around every day

if they were going to rust they would have already

R.I.P. OP. He just needed help with spark plugs.

>he doesn't know about the bulletproof Vulcan
Lol enjoy that bus i also like how you removed your name

REEEEEEE MY OPINION IS FACT