Downshifting to a stop

downshifting to a stop
I have a bad habit of just dropping to neutral and coasting under brakes which I know burns up your brakes
been trying to downshift properly recently but I cant heel toe well in my car with how wide the pedal box is
are you meant to just drop a gear as your speed reduces and just ease off the clutch which lurches a bit
or am I meant to be coming on and off the break so I can revmatch while shifting gears

I feel retarded doing either of these, is there something I'm missing?

Why would you want to take stress off your brakes and move it to your clutch and transmission, are you retarded or just stupid?

because you shouldnt be coming to a stop from speed in neutral

Exactly. Pads are cheap, clutches aren't.
Why?

you should be slowing down while downshifting, it takes a lot of strain out of your brakes (pads and rotors) and if you revmatch properly there is minimal strain on your clutch/transmission

Just let the clutch out slowly, rev matching is unnecessary 99% of the time.

A clutch is a wear item.

Durr, engine brake, then clutch in and service brake. No down shift necessary.

>rev matching is unnecessary 99% of the time.

Blip the throttle
downshift
ease out the clutch (doesnt have to be lightning initial d machinegun downshift)

let the high revs slow you down (engine braking), change down to the next gear, repeat etc.

I usually only get onto the brakes around 2nd gear if i know im going to stop, coming up to lights etc

As has been said if you do it gently / sensibly you wont be adding wear to your clutch or your breaks which is the best case scenereo, let the engine do the braking this is a good practice

>Not just slowing down in gear
>Not braking early to avoid roasting brakes
>Not being "safe driver"

>Hey guys, I'm afraid of wearing down parts that are meant to be worn down, should I just fuck everything else up instead?

Just brake in gear and pop it into neutral as your stopping

You don't need to heel-toe. Just practice bliping the throttle for smooth downshifts and let the engine brake.

In a synchromesh gearbox it is.

>he doesnt heel toe at every opportunity

Nothing wrong with coming off the brake to blip and downshift. I do it all the time. Can't really heeltoe either because baby feet.

Something I learned from motorcycling though: even if you're not using the brake to slow down, still press the brake pedal enough to turn your brake lights on. Getting rear ended sucks.

>burns up your brakes
Pads are cheap man.

This, but I wouldn't recommend doing it in top gear. Assuming you have a 5 speed, at least drop to 4th and then go to neutral when your RPM gets low.

>approach in current gear
>when rpm/speed gets too low, shift into neutral and stop

inb4 all the heel toe idiots say you need to shift and rev match the entire way down or else your engine will literally explode

>not doing a 180 and shifting into reverse

You have to be driving pretty hard on the streets for heel-toe to be comfortable. You simply don't push the brake pedal down far enough in normal daily driving.

rev-matching is a meme unless you're literally a racing driver in a racing car on a racing track in a race.

when slowing to a stop use the brakes and don't touch the clutch until around 10mph, clutch in, stop, shift to first, go.

if slowing to a significantly slower speed, let the clutch out slowly each downshift and in crawling traffic never shift lower than 2nd. stop start is self-explanatory of course.

neutral should not be on your mind until you're parked

actually the proper method of gearing is to [spoiler]just move past puberty already and drive an automatic transmission[/spoiler]. that usually works for most people, even unskilled drivers.

> even unskilled drivers

Especially for them.