What went wrong?

Rather, why aren't they as successful as Lexus?

Because Nissan isn't as successful as Toyota.

It's why Acura falls short of Lexus too, but still ahead of Inshittiti - Honda is better than Nissan, but not as good as Toyota.

Personally like Acura more than Lexus. SH-AWD is god-tier and the TLXs handle way better than they have any right to being an "accord" and all. Lexus takes the cake on the all-out luxury side of things though. If Acura could nail interiors like Lexus does they'd be the perfect luxury brand imo selling AWD premium performance cars like Audi with none of the repair cost.

Ever since they renamed all the cars to q they have been going after mercedes comfort instead of bmw performance. It sucks. Afterall, the CEO of Infiniti credited the g for saving the brand because bmw almost had killed them in the late 90s

>muh Renault
>muh shit interior
>muh steer by wire

This. Toyota is the indisputed king. Honda is great too, and Nissan used to be good.

Infiniti in general sucks, despite carrying themselves as a premium brand, people still see them as not-richfag-enough cars, similarly to acura. It all comes down to marketing, which infiniti is garbage at.

The Q60 AWD w 400HP is pretty good

Are they front-wheel drive based, like Audi?

Lexus feels like a legit luxury cars. They may not have have the level of comfort as RR and Bentley (not yet), but if you're in one, it feels like you're someone special

Infiniti feels like a fancy version of a regular car. It's like cadillac-tier "luxury" except that they didn't cut corners.

Lexus: executive/senior management guy or a top surgeon/physician at private hospital making 7-figure annually, prolly had a couple sports cars (regular Ferrari or 911) but use Lexus as his daily car. Goes to exotic place for his vacation

Infiniti: mid management guy like a floor manager or something or regular professionals (plant engineer, college faculty,et cetera). Made low 6-figure annually. Had a truck (because reasons) and an SUV to haul his family for a road trip.

you're massively overestimating those salary numbers, I would bet that most Infiniti owners make less than $60k a year

A guy who makes 60 grand/year and bought himself an Infiniti clearly lives above his means.

Hell I made 60k/year and the new civic type R feels a bit steep

This. Doesn't help that they spent 10 years making unfuckingbelievably ugly cars which only niggers liked, and have suffered atrocious depreciation which has put millions of old Infinitis into the hands of niggers

Infiniti is a negro brand and it's going to take a marketing genius and a decade to fix that

Are you talking about Cadillac?

Cervix type R is more expensive than some Infiniti car

Yes
T.Mdx 2014 owner, it's the same across all the models but it's still a great wee system

Oh yeah, just checked that stuff up. The ones I saw at the dealership cost around 50 grand or so.

Still, by the looks of it a full spec accord seems like a better option to me

I'd say that Infiniti is below Lexus and Acura for most of the models. Being Nissan's son doesn't help, but my old man drives a q50s (2018). It's not a bad car and it's loads better than his 2010 tl auto. The transmission is better than the equivalent tlx and the engine is close to the gtr's v6 (400 bhp TT v6), so it moves fairly well. He considered the m3, Mercedes, and Lexus but he claims that the Lexus is a but more dull. But that's his opinion, the interior isn't bad as well, I've sat in it and everything seems to go together well. The legroom in the back could be better but it's good for 6 foot and above. Whether it holds together is to be seen

Cadillac is also guilty of this but they are still alive only because of how deep rooted GM is in the average boomer's heart. If a boomer wants a luxury retirement-mobile, he buys a caddy, not what they consider "nip shit" or "jap scrap"

Once every old fucker kicks the bucket they are in huge trouble. They're already feeling it since they're killing off the CTS and ATS for poor sales, and crossovers will only buy them so much time before their market disappears from under them.

That's probably a $400-600 a month payment depending on a few factors of course?

1% of you annual income is fine for a monthly car expense.

Some infiniti cars are cheaper than Civic type R, and I'd rather daily an infiniti than a type R.

Also, you need to put the wage into perspective; A single guy with 60k/year living in a small apartment? Yeah he could afford an infiniti. A married guy with 60k/year, living in a suburb? Not so much

Stop bullying my car

G37s seem like a good amount of car for what they go for these days.
Is there anything distincly bad with Infinitis or are they just not as good as the others.

Infiniti is still good at being the bmw of japan. Fast luxo-sport cars at the cost of maximum comfort like lexus. They’re almost always a better value than a comparable model as well, so you’ll get a beefy engine and all the luxuries you expect for less monies

Is that title well deserved or is it more of a relative thing?
I was cross-shopping a G37 or Q50/60 with BMW brand BMW 3/4 series. Only thing is that I hear mostly divisive talk on both sides. Muh jap reliability vs muh german unreliability, or one or the other being dogshit somehow.

>but if you're in one, it feels like you're someone special
Eh?. Own gx, does not make me feel special. Occasionally drive es, does not make me feel special. Have ridden in and driven ls. Does not make me feel special. 92 Saab 900,makes me feel special.

Lexii are all much comfier than most cars, and the reliability is GOAT. But they are appliances, very high end and reliable appliances, but still just appliances and cars you buy because you have some fear of a breakdown.

here. I did the same cross shopping. Went with the infiniti because it was ~$8000 cheaper than a comparable BMW. iDrive is way better than the dual screen shit on the infiniti but the dual screen works ok. If you want a manual you must go with the BMW as infiniti doesn't offer a manual option (probably why Veeky Forums hates it).

They never built up an image, Lexus did. With Infiniti you never know whether you get a Nissan or an MB (QX30), with Lexus you know it's Toyota's Luxury line and people are ok with it.

Former Infiniti employee, currently working at Nissan but I'll keep this mainly about Infiniti.

The FM platform and VQ series engines were a hit in their early days but now they're simply outdated. While European brands continued to continuously redesign, certain Infiniti's are based on Nissan shared platforms that are up to a decade old and it really shows.

On the other hand this tried and true method made the G series cars great used cars, I like to criticize Infiniti and Nissan cause I see the ugly side of the brand all the time. And believe me it really is ugly, post-Renault merger Nissan products are questionable. Low and behold, I drive a 2003 G35 sedan as my DD, been a decent car but I'm preparing to buy something else.

There was a super mint 2001 GS430, 1 owner, 150,000 KM asking 5,500 CAD but It was just too far away from me and I didn't have time to see it. Bad feeling... It looked like a really solid car.

That Nissan FM platform is old as fuck senpai. Has it even been updated?

yes, there's multiple VQ engines. between G35/G37 there's 4

>VQ35DE: 03-06 auto sedans, 03-04 manual sedans, 03-07 auto coupes. 260 HP, not a major powerhouse but a reliable workhorse

>VQ35DE Rev-up: 280-298 HP 05-06 manual transmission equipped cars. Oil burning pig with plenty of flaws, not worth the minor increase in power. The DE non-rev up just needs to breathe a little better in the top end

>VQ35HR: 2007-2008 sedans, 306 HP. 80% of the engine was changed over the DE Rev-up and was so much more refined with a much needed desire to rev faster and more willingly. Better than the DE series engines in every way

>VQ37VHR G37's and early MY Q50's 328-348 HP. By 2018 standards it's an outdated and a bit rough but it really is an awesome engine. Very reliable and 328+ HP backed by a solid gearbox in the 6 MT

The Chassis was upgraded by generation, G35 G37, then Q

Not bad cars just really outdated relative to competition except for the new Q60 coupe. My problem is that I see Nissan products every day and the build quality etc is basically like a domestic car. I want to see something new from them but chances are it'll be a CVT powered car with heavy Nissan influence. The VR30 engines are exclusive to Infiniti though which is a step in the right direction if they want to be taken seriously.

I sure hope you didn't buy a $40k car on a $60k salary.

Don't encourage him. You both belong here:

Master tech for Infiniti here. (Ask me anything?)

I generally like the cars, but they are absurdly priced. Lexus is a step ahead in luxury. Still reliable cars, but overall quality control has been declining in the past 3 years since a new figurehead took control. Warranty compensation and incentives for the dealers is declining as well. It's slowly turning to shit while they continually try to market themselves as unique, exciting and expressive.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the VQ being outdated. By the time the VQ37HR incarnation of the engine was around, it was actually really ahead of it's time with VVEL technology (actually varies valve lift, not just timing). Other manufacturers are just now getting into that.
The new generation of 3.0L twin turbos is basically the same setup. Same core technology present, just rearranged a bit to fit some turbos on it. So by that logic, the new 3.0L is outdated as well.

The VVEL was a world's first technology, developed by Nissan and it set their engines apart. It's not really accurate to say that it's outdated, because it simply is not. It's a major player in their current lineup of engines.

Another thing to note, NNA really shot themselves in the foot by releasing the new Armada. It's a QX80 but 20K cheaper. But maybe it won't impact infiniti sales, just increase nissan sales, I don't know.

>Ask me anything?
Which is the best pick from the currrent line up and why is it the Q60 400 AWD?

I said by 2018 standards that it's outdated. In it's 2008 debut yes it was absolutely an advanced engine and it's still a good engine today. It's just lacking refinement and needs to be worked to get to that "sweet spot" while most FI engines in newer sports sedans feel pretty effortless and linear power bands

Since you're a tech, any suggestions of what to watch for on a 07-08 G35s sedan 6MT? I haven't worked for Infiniti for some time now and we don't see a lot of them at Nissan

If it needs any repairs outside of warranty it's going to expensive as fuck.

As far as the car lineup goes, I can't really disagree with that. Well balanced and good driving car. Can't really speak for its future reliability though.

AWD shit gets expensive to fix though. Always seems like they're blowing CV boots and leaking from somewhere on the AWD systems in higher mileage.

Didn't know that. I heard the steer by wire system does weird shit when you're cutting corners too hard. Nissan is probably beta testing their system on this car desu

desu an acura badge in european countries would be mistaken for something chinese.

I can't necessary disagree with the finetuning, but I think they accomplished that with the new generation 3.0L.

The clutch slave cylinder/concentric bearing assy like to blow out and leak clutch fluid. Gotta pull the trans to replace.

The vvt oil passage gaskets on the inner timing cover like to blow out.
Water pumps leak with lack of coolant and oil changes. Those two are both pretty much the same job and should be done together. Very labor intensive.

Ive done a fair amount of head gaskets as well. They would leak coolant to the outside of the engine and would form a crust under the exhaust manifold. It wouldn't cause a driveability issue though and it wasn't a massive leak. We just did them because it was under warranty. Just make sure the coolant stays topped off from time to time. I generally wouldn't regard it as an issue to worry about if it appears later on your own car, but I wouldn't buy one with the issue already present. If that makes sense.

Other than normal stuff like valve cover gaskets that may leak oil and the usual stuff that will go bad on every car in high mileage, those are the worst things specific to that car.

I have a Q50 Red Sport AWD how fucked am I?

I don't think Infiniti really tries to sell itself as a high level luxury brand, probably partially because they're in a parntership with Mercedes and they don't want to cannibalize one anothers sales. Inifiniti always just strikes me as an upper-middle class brand. I typically see middle class families and mid range professionals like technicians and dental assistants driving them. The Q50 is basically for someone whom wants a rear wheel drive comfy Accord and doesn't want to pay for a C-Class. In Los Angeles you can actually get a 2.0t Q50 for the same money as a 2.0t Accord, due to Mexicans inflating the prices of Hondas here.

Would you take a 2016 Q50/60 over a 2014 335/435i?
How much more costly is the 3.0t Q50/60 to maintain than the G37 on both price and frequency of issues?

No they were beta testing that shit in the 14-15 Q50. Avoid those fuckers like the plague. 2016 and up seems pretty solid, steers and handles much better.

Too early to tell desu. Probably not too badly, but I can't yet say how they will age. It's the first turbo Infiniti so who knows.

Yes. But mostly because I despise anything BMW past 2003.

From the motortrend review? Jason is stupid, the steering system does as you want it to. The problem he was having was with the brakes being used on the inside wheels to rotate the car instead of a LSD. He thought the steering was doing weird shit but it was just the car trying to use the brakes to rotate.

What's wrong with post-03 BMW?

I just don't like them. Pretentious and bloated pigfat machines for people to play keeping up with the Jones'. But that's just my opinion. I'm very open to the possibility that I'm wrong. They may be great driving machines, I don't know. But I still hate them.

because people are scared of progress.
see, whole steer-by-wire fiasco and reaction (aka dissing) of the so called "true car enthusiasts"

I don't see why we can't have both. Steer by wire is pretty solid technology at this point but good old metal steering shafts are inexpensive and nearly fail proof.

Each has their own strong points and uses, for those that prefer one over the other. We don't have to hold back technological advances but there's no reason to get rid of solid steering shafts.

>We don't have to hold back technological advances but there's no reason to get rid of solid steering shafts.

Its a packaging issue. If the steer by wire system didn't have the backup driveshaft it would be much more space efficient than any comparable steering system.

I'm talking about both being available as separate technology in different trim packages.

But if you're talking about it in that sense, it would never pass safety standards. If there's an electrical failure, vehicle dies, whatever, there needs to be a backup fail safe that will allow the driver to safely steer the car to the side of the road. If there's no actual steering shaft that locks together with the engine off, what are you supposed to do in a failure situation?

Do cars that use brake by wire with an electronic hand brake have backups?

Did they get rid of that shitty beak?
Fuck Acura is back lads

I know that atleast on Infinitis there is a mechanical backup in the main brake pedal. It works with the vehicle off. I assume on all vehicles it would have to be the same to pass safety regulations but I don't know the specifics of the law.