Redpill me on German cars, are they overrated?

Redpill me on German cars, are they overrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2015-bmw-435i-x-drive-m-performance-edition-1-of-200-in-canada/1322108074?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-arteon-r-said-to-pack-over-400-hp-from-vr6-122311.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JALQO7rLRw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

modern ones very very yes. instead of spending 150k on a merc money pit get pic related instead

As a whole I would say yes. With the German's aggressively entering the "entry level market" with cars like the CLA/GLA, 320iXdriveMsport9000, and FWD based Audi cars they've diluted their products a lot. Some base model entry level offerings from the European brands are not much nicer than a fully loaded Camry, Accord etc.

On the other hand their premium offerings are still beautiful engineering feats and amazing cars, but their newer cars are becoming very automated; which depending on your preference may not be a good thing, I know for me it isn't.

The perception of unreliability is hit and miss dependent on manufacturer, model, generation, and even down to trim level. The maintenance gets expensive on older European cars and a lot of people will associate that with being "unreliable" cause it's always needing attention

One day I'll get my hands on a E39 M5 or an aircooled 911

>tatra ripoff
>not the most overrated of all

They're overpriced and overhyped. You could also question German car manufacturers' business ethics. But most importantly, their "Sports" cars are the ghetto Chavmobiles of Europe. I'd rather ride a bike than an M or an AMG car.

What a cuck. M2 is objectively one of the best $50k cars you can buy in 2017.

You don’t even need a bike since you have a bus pass

Ghettoroaches spotted

From the mid/end '90s up to around the mid 2000's they only made crap.
But before and after made good stuff!

Nah you just don't know shit about cars fucking ass clown.

They are superior since the 80s but since 2016 they lose ground. In the next decade Asians will run the game.

You even type like obvious ghetto trash

Most base model german econoboxes with badge inflation don`t even come standard with what even base model KIAs come with.

Because kia is a shitcar brand they have to put all the options and extras in their cars otherwise they won't survive in this market dominated of German cars.

It's exclusively German brands that get retarded about extras.

no
that's poor people talk
some of the absolutely best cars ever made are german

what is wrong with x-drive?

I already have 5 active threads so I'll ask here. Would I regret buying this?

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2015-bmw-435i-x-drive-m-performance-edition-1-of-200-in-canada/1322108074?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

>335hp/332lbft
>manual
>AWD

It's an "I have no money for an M4" car, kill yourself

to an extent sure but then again America or Japan cant make anything that even outrivals an E class let alone S class or any of the performance cars from Germany

Nothing but where I live at least there's a ton of 320i's with M appearance packages when really they're AWD cars with a small displacement engine. Nothing really wrong with the car itself it's just a shame they dilute their performance divisions prestige and heritage to sell crossovers and entry level lease-mobiles

nothing.
they built themselves a reputation, now they're profiting from that.

VW Arteon owner here

I literally have an Audi tier sports sedan loaded with German engineering and only cost me 40k

Jelly fags?

lmao that's not a kia stinger why would i be jelly xd

this desu, gtfo with your VAGene

Enjoy your trash build quality

There is nothing quite like the solid thunk of a VAG door closing

Is the Earth flat? (and no, it isn't)
They are extremely overrated, but they're overrated because they were worthy of praise a long time ago, now literally all of them suck fat balls.

>Kia Stinger isn't made out of solid materials
lmao it's not a car made out of jelly lmao

GT2 RS is the fastest car onthe planet, M2 is the best drivers car at 50k $, most luxurious cars, fastest saloons etc, yeah they all suck balls sure

If you can’t afford a mechanic or do any repairs yourself lease them

If you can’t do the maintenance yourself yea you will regret it. German car maintenance meme is not a meme

It depends on who you ask. The legions of young arabs who worship the Mercedes badge like the golden calf certainly overrate "German" cars, but there is truth in the blind faith. For a long time, especially in the 70s and 80s, German imports were much more reliable and luxurious than domestic counterparts around the world. In fact, only in the last 5-10 years has there been any competition in the high-end luxury/sports sector from anyone other than the Italians.

German cars still maintain a standard of quality above brands like FCA and Kia, but the cars being brought to the table by many other manufacturers like Chevrolet, Lexus, Ford, Alfa, etc. all put the fire closer to the assessment of German manufacturers. In comparison, companies like BMW have lost sight of what makes their cars great in the first place, and rely heavily on branding to remain competitive.

Despite all this, Porsche and Mercedes still are very high up in terms of quality, luxury and performance, setting standards with cars like the S-class, 911 GT2, AMG GT R and Panamera. The biggest thing to keep in mind when evaluating German cars is objective value, looking at the car and not the history and badge on the front. But then again, that's how it should be with every car.

Should I buy an E36 or Miata for my first car?

That's like asking whether sucking dick or getting fucked in the ass is less gay

Nice car, and just ignore these VAGhaters.

Which is less gay, sucking dick or getting fucked in the ass?

What's the difference between this and the cc

This is literally the Dodge Nitro of Germany

Arteon is the replacement of CC.
There is Arteon R AWD coming. It has 420 horsepower, and its release date is on Hilter's birthday.

autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-arteon-r-said-to-pack-over-400-hp-from-vr6-122311.html

Holy crap is this thing fugly

Then it is not for you, VAGhater.

>420 HP
>4/20
Ahh I see why kikes want to ban the weed cuz of Hitler's DOB. kek

It is pretty amazing that Ze Germans can turn the turd into something so special.

Almost all modern ones are. Porsche has stayed cool for the most part in my book.

Are F30/F32 BMWs alright?

Try it first. Ignore what others say.

I was thinking more along the lines of longer term reliability, build quality, and maintenance.
I do plan on trying it, but there are elements I doubt a test drive will cover.

I have never seen a ghetto person drive an M BMW. They always have base models

>>German cars, are they overrated?

>German cars up to mid 90s
NOPE and the reputation about German build quality is well deserved. My 30 year old W124 Mercedes is a good example of this, apart from me sometimes having minor problems with it's power windows everything still fucking works and I have yet to find a similar more modern car I would like to upgrade to.

>German cars past mid 90s
Yes and really they aren't any better or more reliable than cars made in other countries. Seriously what the fuck happened to German cars in mid 90s? I know that as for as MBs are concerned they started using worse quality steel and thin layers of water-based paint instead of their previously used thick layers of "toxic" based ones for some reason (EU regulations?) which made W202s and W210s infamous rustbuckets in countries where actual winter and/or salt on roads are a thing. Daimler Chrysler merger from the time didn't exactly help matters either. However this does NOT explain what happened to the other German car manufacturers and why they also went to shit in mid-90s. At least MB has been to be getting back to form lately and Porsche has retained above average built quality but seriously what happened with the others?

If you believe in the German reliability meme/myth, then don't buy them.
I bought 435i as my second BMW. I gave my first BMW 328i to my wife, who yearns for it. My 435i is the best vehicle dollar for dollar. It is reliable, attractive, fun, and will continue to be all of those for years.

I don't believe in most memes unless I see it happening in person, but with how often I hear it brought up it's worth looking into I think.

>German reliability meme/myth

It's true for _OLDER_ German cars up early 90s which for the most part are still on roads and have been driven daily for all these years with little to no maintenance. To put this into a perspective compare them to 20 to 30 year old cars made in other countries you see. You'll quickly notice that there aren't exactly many 20+ year old French, Italian or British cars around and the ones you might come across are either maintained with autistic levels and/or only occasionally driven meaning very little miles/kms driven compared to their German counterparts. Ultimate case of point is the fact W123 Mercedes Benzes are STILL used as taxis in third world countries, have been driven every single day for more than 30 years, have millions of miles under their belt and are still going strong.

I thought the meme was that they were unreliable or really expensive to repair and maintain.

If you are committed to maintain your car, it will last longer. Like all cars need an oil change. I usually get mine changed every 8k-15k miles depending on what the car tells me. I've only sent the oil of for analysis once, but it was more or less inline with the car's oil change countdown. The dealership here charges $70 but they usually have sales going on for $40. My indy does it for $35 if I bring Mobil synthetic 0w40 at $5 a quart when it is on sale.
I feel that maintenance is not that bad. Pretty simple thing to do if I want to keep mine reliable. If you are lazy sob, then stay away from German cars.

What you are talking about applies to _NEWER_ German cars (post mid 90s) and what I'm talking about applies to _OLDER_ German cars (up to mid 90s). Both memes/myths about the German reliability are true but most people don't specify which one they are talking about thereforce you see much misinformation.

As an example I'm going to say there is nothing more reliable than a diesel Mercedes from the 80s and that the parts and repairs for W123-W124-W124 era Mercs cost less than ones for newish VWs but some retards is going to argue this by using mid 2000s Mercs as an example.

>FWD
>FWD
>FWD
>FWD

>fwd matters in 2017

back to the 90s fag

E36

>Passat with a Golf engine
Y u do dis? Gib VR.

Hah, more like Passat with the mighty Atlas SUV engine! Checkmate, Americucks!

Why the hell would you by an M2 when you can have a fully loaded Mustang for less, have more HP, and 10 years from now, you wouldn't have to shit a fuckton of money on parts.

Because the M2 can actually turn.
>the Mustang handles excellently with the magnetic suspension
Yeah well, the interior isn't typical American shit lol
>the 2-series interior is outdated and mostly chintzy plastic
B-but German engineering means it's more reliable
>BMW has the highest cost of ownership according to Consumer Reports
Wull, it's faster than a Poostang if I tune it!
>Ford offers a 700HP supercharger kit that does not void your factory warranty
Umm, you're a faggot

E30 325i, E36 M3, or a Miata for a weekend car / project?

Have access to a hydraulic lift and can do my own work unless it's brain surgery tier difficulty.

Will I be memed into absurdly expensive and costly maintenance for the krautwagens? Is it worth it over the miata?

E30's are very slim pickings in my area, but there are a few E36 M3's for sale

To add to this, Miatas in my area are all beat to absolute shit yolowagons, or marked-up well kept cars that cost more than an E36 M3

>interior
>interior
>ad hominem
>ad hominem
not arguments

E30 is miata-tier easy to work on and the M20 is damn tough. I can't speak from experience on the E36, but if you address the potential problems (oil pump nut, radiator) then the S5X engines are supposedly reliable as well.
Both chassis (but particularly E30) have incredibly knowledgeable forum communities and good aftermarket

>he thinks people actually spend $150k on new Mercs

>modern BMW
Yes

thanks for the response. I think I will just be patient and wait for a good E30 to be posted for sale.

The mustang is frankly embarassing car: pigfat in it's current generation, exterior styling by Hot Wheels, sad and useless interior despite giant dimensions.

Great engine, but 'muh horsepower' can't make up for the fact that they look and drive like bloated shit. Get a foxbody and keep a little self-respect.

Because M2 btfos the Mustang.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JALQO7rLRw

Yes, they are vastly overrated.If anybody buys a Mercedes > 3 years old, it better be a CPO. Or have a free mechanic in the trunk.

>pigfat in it's current generation,
So is everything else. What a stupid statement.

Current M3 and M5 weighs less than previous gens.

Did the Mustang really need to gain 400lbs? Does it need to be the size of a fucking aircraft carrier?

Also:
Fordbois living in denial

Neither