Just bought an 09 impreza 5-speed

just bought an 09 impreza 5-speed

i know how to drive stick but i've never owned one. tips for not fucking my car up/tips as a first time car owner?

each gear bites at 8000rpm. its like a japanese chick, they like what you do to them, but theyre just awfully noisy

don't money shift it.
don't try to do burnouts in it.
don't ride the clutch, and always use the handbrake when hill starting.

>the found out my car has hill start assist
Feels like cheating

Sell it and buy a Lexus. With an unparalleled interior, superior reliability and quality Toyota engineering, the Lexus is sure to put a smile on your face.

never used a car with hill start assist desu.
how the fuck does it work? like do you let the clutch out and it just stops it from rolling back?

Basically. It's based on an internal gyroscope I think, and keeps the handbrake on for you

It just holds the brake on once you take your foot off, but just enough to stop it from moving, once the car starts moving forward it disengages. I assume it's got an accelerometer that can measure pitch because it doesn't do it on very slight inclines and stuff, also works in reverse.

Rev-match to preserve gearbox

If you're hurting the gearbox from shifting I think you've got bigger issues than rev matching.

Rev matching is unnecessary in a synchromesh gearbox 99% of the time.

What if I just want to avoid engine braking? It's more often than 1% of the time.

Every time you close the throttle you're engine braking.

The only way to avoid it is to coast in neutral, which is stupid and dangerous.

I guess I should say "minimize".

>buying a shitty subaru
kys

At least it's not a cuckrolla

>which is stupid and dangerous
why though? I always hear that I shouldn't do it but it's very convenient, instead of downshifting I just put it in neutral and brake, no difference whatsoever

civic for 3k is better than both.

It wears down and heathens up your brakes faster. If you don't have brakes designed for these conditions this might be dangerous.

Only with a couple of simple mods :^)

In a synchromesh trans the only thing you're really minimizing is wear on the clutch, which is still a valid reason to rev match. Its just not 100% neccesary

Slowing to a stop sign isn't going to overheat your brakes, weirdo. He's driving on main street like a normal human not blazing around road atlanta.

And when he said that he is roaming in his shitbox in urbanised areas only?

>be you
>be coasting in neutral
>coming up to an intersection
>notice someone is about to rear end you
>only way to avoid being hit is to plant it
>plant it
>wahhhbambambambam
>SMASH

coasting in neutral is classified as not being in control of the vehicle in the majority of driving tests around the world.

You can't effectively accelerate out of situations and if you're not in gear and you get hit the car will go flying unless you're already on the brake.

It's poor form, really.

It doesn't wear your gearbox and it barely does anything to your clutch if you let it out slowly.

Rev matching is not a necessary skill to drive a car, it's just something Veeky Forums likes to go on about because it makes them feel special.

A clutch is a wear item anyway, it's designed to be used like that.

You wear these components out less if you choose to rev match though. And it makes the shifts smoother. It's definitely something good to learn.

I guess being a poorfag makes me too autistic about wearing down stuff. Thanks for your input.

How the hell? My 83 throwaway has hill assist, what do you drive?

If you can't do smooth downshifts otherwise I think you should probably practice more.

I wouldn't sweat it, I know a lady with a 200k Hilux on its original clutch.

It's not going to have any appreciable effect on it.

It makes no difference whether you do or don't as far as wear is concerned.

Your gearbox isn't going to magically wear out prematurely because you didn't rev match every gear shift.